November 18, 2018, 09:42:52 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1166573 times)

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8660 on: September 04, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
I get sick of drivers driving 1 metre behind my car, and flashing lights to make me move, because there is a car in the adjacent lane.  This basically means i cannot hit my brakes, as the **** behind me will plow into me.  What gives him the right to demand i move for him?  Why should i drive at an unsafe speed just because he wants to pass?

What is the context for this? If you're driving adjacent another car at the same speed, and you're in the passing lane, then you are in the wrong. The same if you're driving slightly faster than vehicles in the slower lane and never pulling in to let faster vehicles pass.

The context is that those drivers are d1cks.

PS There is no defined "slow lane" in Korea.

Sorry, but I learned to drive from scratch here, and you are wrong. There are passing lanes and slower lanes, just like in western countries. Unfortunately, people don't use passing lanes properly in Korea, and instead hold long lines of cars up because they think they're special.

Here's some useful info on how to drive on the expressway in Korea. It explains how to use passing lanes. https://www.koroad.or.kr/en_web/view/drvGuide3.do

Yes, in theory, there are overtaking lanes and slow lanes, with the middle lanes being for cruising. But in Korea, the majority of drivers have poor lane discipline which calls for overtaking in all lanes.

You learned to drive here? Must suck that all that knowledge matters not when driving for real here.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8661 on: September 04, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
Sorry, but I learned to drive from scratch here,
Good God.
Are you as bad at driving as every other cretin on the roads here?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8662 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:37 PM »
Good God.

How do you define "bad"? I have enough awareness to pull over to the right when someone needs to pass me at a higher speed, but that situation doesn't occur too often. :laugh:

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8663 on: September 04, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
Good God.

How do you define "bad"? I have enough awareness to pull over to the right when someone needs to pass me at a higher speed, but that situation doesn't occur too often. :laugh:

A lot of @ssholes on the highway will drive up to you at speed, way beyond the speed limit and rather than wait for you to move they will attempt to pass from the other lane and then cut back to your lane causing you to hit the brakes.

Sometimes, you can't pull over because there happens to be slower vehicles in the other lane but the @ssholes think they can weave in and out like F1 drivers causing a dangerous situation.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8664 on: September 05, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Good God.

A lot of @ssholes on the highway will drive up to you at speed, way beyond the speed limit and rather than wait for you to move they will attempt to pass from the other lane and then cut back to your lane causing you to hit the brakes.

Sometimes, you can't pull over because there happens to be slower vehicles in the other lane but the @ssholes think they can weave in and out like F1 drivers causing a dangerous situation.

My theory to makes Koreans more careful at driving is to make them all drive manuals.  Automatics make it too easy to be a shitier driver than they already are.

True that! I learned on a manual but I also learned how to drive safely. Driving a manual means that they [Korean drivers] would need to concentrate more on the road but given that they don't already check mirrors and indicate BEFORE changing lanes then I foresee more accidents. Also, how can they hold their phone and change gears at the same time?

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8665 on: September 05, 2018, 08:09:01 AM »
Good God.

There are drivers who just will not budge at all, driving the same speed as the person adjacent to them when they could easily pull in to the slow lane to let you by. I'm talking about a wilful disregard for traffic behind or complete lack of awareness of the road. I will sometimes undertake such drivers and cut back in sharply, but only if they're really being obnoxious. It's a way of saying "screw you", I suppose.

Driving to my travel school this morning, one driver drove in the fast lane at exactly the same speed as a tire delivery vehicle in the slow lane, with no thought for anyone but himself. This continued for the entire journey on the expressway, which was not exactly a long one, but still at least one exit to another. I was left wishing I drove a literal tank to blow that scumbag off the road.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8666 on: September 05, 2018, 08:31:59 AM »
I get sick of drivers driving 1 metre behind my car, and flashing lights to make me move, because there is a car in the adjacent lane.  This basically means i cannot hit my brakes, as the **** behind me will plow into me.  What gives him the right to demand i move for him?  Why should i drive at an unsafe speed just because he wants to pass?

What is the context for this? If you're driving adjacent another car at the same speed, and you're in the passing lane, then you are in the wrong. The same if you're driving slightly faster than vehicles in the slower lane and never pulling in to let faster vehicles pass

Reminds me of the poster who once complained about Koreans honking at him when he was at a red light, but was unaware that Korea has a "Turn right on red" law and that blocking the right lane is generally considered a dick move in any country/state that has "turn right on red".

I lived in a "Turn right on Red" state and we'd get the same kind of "Why are divers here such jerks?" from people from out of state who didn't know the local rules of the road.

You are not allowed to turn right if either road is showing a green man, but you either hear honk honk honk, or they drive around you as you wait to turn, and they nearly hit those crossing.

As for 2 lanes, often a car in the fast lane isnt going fast enough, so drivers attempt ro undertake by switching to the other lane only to see my car and demand i move.  Why? If they want to overtake, do it on the left not the right!

In this case, the person wasn't following the green crossing. They simply didn't know "turn right on red" existed. This happens in the states as well. Some drivers aren't aware, and some drivers turn right on red where it's illegal because they forget about the law change. It's an innocent mistake, but it's not always Place's X drivers are aholes.

And as I said, in your case if you're in the left lane, because of the way Korean roads are laid down, you can have a legitimate reason for being in the left lane and still slowing things down because you have to shift over for the next light or something. There are always explanations we need to consider before we assume someone is a rude driver.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8667 on: September 05, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »

Martin, you do not drive in Korea.  Therefore you have no point of reference here.  So stop commenting on stuff you clearly have NO idea about.  Again.

What are you talking about? I've been driving here for ages.

Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't mean they have no point of reference.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8668 on: September 05, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »

Martin, you do not drive in Korea.  Therefore you have no point of reference here.  So stop commenting on stuff you clearly have NO idea about.  Again.

Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't mean they have no point of reference.

Post a picture of yourself standing next to your car, holding your keys up in one hand, while giving a thumbs up with other hand. Do it. If you don't I'll never believe that you drive in Korea. In fact at this point I don't think you even can drive. You never learned did you Martin?

And you know what? You are going to have to learn "from scratch" in Korea, ala Stillinkorea. And you know what he does? He drives a Japanese car and puts traffic cones around it when he parks it. So you've got quite a future ahead of you old boy. Post a goddamn picture of yourself doing the thumbs up. Do it now. Don't disappoint me or your other waygook friends.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8669 on: September 05, 2018, 09:27:43 AM »

Post a picture of yourself standing next to your car, holding your keys up in one hand, while giving a thumbs up with other hand. Do it. If you don't I'll never believe that you drive in Korea. In fact at this point I don't think you even can drive. You never learned did you Martin?

And you know what? You are going to have to learn "from scratch" in Korea, ala Stillinkorea. And you know what he does? He drives a Japanese car and puts traffic cones around it when he parks it. So you've got quite a future ahead of you old boy. Post a goddamn picture of yourself doing the thumbs up. Do it now. Don't disappoint me or your other waygook friends.

:laugh:

You know Martin's not old enough to drive.

He always has his light aircraft's pilot licence to fall back on.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8670 on: September 05, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »
Dude, I grew up in the States. I was driving to high school. I drove at my job. I drive in Korea.

No, I'm not going to doxx myself on here just for your amusement. Even if I did post my picture, you wouldn't believe it was me. Anyways, I don't have to prove shit to you.

OP thinks I don't drive in Korea because I haven't described driving in Korea in the most hysterical, over-the-top terms possible.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8671 on: September 05, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »

What is the context for this? If you're driving adjacent another car at the same speed, and you're in the passing lane, then you are in the wrong. The same if you're driving slightly faster than vehicles in the slower lane and never pulling in to let faster vehicles pass

Reminds me of the poster who once complained about Koreans honking at him when he was at a red light, but was unaware that Korea has a "Turn right on red" law and that blocking the right lane is generally considered a dick move in any country/state that has "turn right on red".

I lived in a "Turn right on Red" state and we'd get the same kind of "Why are divers here such jerks?" from people from out of state who didn't know the local rules of the road.

You are not allowed to turn right if either road is showing a green man, but you either hear honk honk honk, or they drive around you as you wait to turn, and they nearly hit those crossing.

As for 2 lanes, often a car in the fast lane isnt going fast enough, so drivers attempt ro undertake by switching to the other lane only to see my car and demand i move.  Why? If they want to overtake, do it on the left not the right!

If people are honking at you to go faster while you're driving in the slow lane, they are in the wrong. If people are honking at you when you're holding up traffic in the fast lane, you are in the wrong.

The reason people undertake is because too many people drive slowly in the fast lane. The worst offenders are middle aged men driving pickups and women chatting on their phone with no awareness of a world outside their own head.

You mean like....Their world ends at their nose?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8672 on: September 05, 2018, 10:36:55 AM »
I've said this before, but Seoul driving is not that different from any other big city.

Boston, Madrid, Toronto, Paris... I feel the same way and prefer no to drive.

Good cities I have driven in :

Montréal - fast and tight, but completely predictable. Compare to Toronto, where there is more space between cars, but many diverse driving styles.

Munich - people follow the rules in Germany.

Chicago - despite the overuse of horns, things are fairly consistent.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:04:45 AM by JNM »

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8673 on: September 05, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »
Dude, I grew up in the States. I was driving to high school. I drove at my job. I drive in Korea.

No, I'm not going to doxx myself on here just for your amusement. Even if I did post my picture, you wouldn't believe it was me. Anyways, I don't have to prove shit to you.

OP thinks I don't drive in Korea because I haven't described driving in Korea in the most hysterical, over-the-top terms possible.

I can't believe you've done this.

And doxxing? You think you are going to be doxxed? This community isn't that way. Once I posted my pic and you know what I received? Baskets of muffins. That's right. Several waygook users tracked down my details from my pic and sent me gift baskets. I can't subscribe to your Hobbesian view of humanity, Martin.

So again, post your pic, as I instructed. If not I will simply assume you cannot and have not ever driven. Except for the small red tricycle that was purchased for you as a child and bizarrely, if not worryingly, you still use to this day. Yes, he shipped his little red trike over to Korea and only God knows why.

You have 24 hours.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8674 on: September 05, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »

And doxxing? You think you are going to be doxxed? This community isn't that way. Once I posted my pic and you know what I received? Baskets of muffins. That's right. Several waygook users tracked down my details from my pic and sent me gift baskets. I can't subscribe to your Hobbesian view of humanity, Martin.

So again, post your pic, as I instructed. If not I will simply assume you cannot and have not ever driven. Except for the small red tricycle that was purchased for you as a child and bizarrely, if not worryingly, you still use to this day. Yes, he shipped his little red trike over to Korea and only God knows why.

You have 24 hours.

He drives Zola. I saw him delivering Domino's pizzas in Seoul last Friday. I knew it was him because he was wearing full leathers and had an 'I heart Korea' sticker on the rear of his helmet. I noticed it when he got off his bike at a red light right turn with a green man symbol on the pedestrian crossing to help carry an old lady's groceries across the road. I was in the back of a taxi and I heard the taxi driver say 'Look at this patriot, there aren't many like him around these days'.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8675 on: September 05, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »
I've said this before, but Seoul driving is not that different from any other big city.

JNM, when I talk about driving here, I'm talking about the whole of Korea.  I don't live in Seoul and have no inclination to, but I have the displeasure of driving there once or twice a month and sitting in traffic.  Usually, the traffic is too congested to do anything there.  I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to drive in Seoul traffic everyday, which like you said, is like driving in any other big city with high volumes of traffic.  Drive outside of Seoul for any great length of time, where there are fewer cars, and you'll get an idea of just how crap and selfish Korean drivers are.  Like you, I've driven in tons of other countries, and while occasionally you get the odd idiot here and there, it's almost a given here that someone will do something stupid/dangerous/illegal.  I don't see numerous people just flagrantly driving through reds as I do here, just because they're 'busy'.  I don't see cutting in the queue as badly as you do here.  In England, truck drivers will straddle two lanes to stop people from pushing in.  Good idea.

I'm not including all Koreans here, I'd take a wild wild guess that it is about 30% of the population who do as they selfishly want.  My drive to school is only 10 minutes but in that time, everyday, without fail, somebody will do something stupid/dangerous/illegal.  One thing I always come back to is, with Koreans owning newer and newer cars with their improved safety features, how many road fatalities would there be without driving these newer cars?  It says everything about the money that Koreans invest in their cars that the Grandeur is the new 국민차 and they're not cheap to get.
I think a lot of it is just population density. Even "rural Korea" is more dense than some cities in North America.

I don't think that 30% are incompetent, but there are definitely more "idiots per mile".

Root causes, I think, include the "grandfathering" of license requirements (some people have never taken a test), and the "no failures" education philosophy that extends to driving schools.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8676 on: September 05, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »

You have 24 hours.

Dude, shut up. I'm not your little minion to order around and prove shit to you. I've driven in Korea for years, back in the day when it was Gini and then I used whatever the heck it was called before it turned into Kakao Navi. I paid my car tax and had my inspections.

I'm not going to photograph myself and my car to satisfy your mental delusion. Like I said, you'd just accuse me of faking the photo. You've already made up your mind off of something in your own imagination.

I do think it's hilarious that I've so gotten under your skin that you're at the point of imagining stuff about me.

On the other hand if you're just yanking my chain for a laugh, hats off. Livens the place up.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8677 on: September 05, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »

You have 24 hours.

Dude, shut up. I'm not your little minion to order around and prove shit to you. I've driven in Korea for years, back in the day when it was Gini and then I used whatever the heck it was called before it turned into Kakao Navi. I paid my car tax and had my inspections.

I'm not going to photograph myself and my car to satisfy your mental delusion. Like I said, you'd just accuse me of faking the photo. You've already made up your mind off of something in your own imagination.

I do think it's hilarious that I've so gotten under your skin that you're at the point of imagining stuff about me.

On the other hand if you're just yanking my chain for a laugh, hats off. Livens the place up.

You are my minion and you know it. Dance for me minion. Dance!
Go fetch me a bowl of nuts and while you are it get me that goddamn photo you promised me. Raise your hand high in the air with your thumb up, to signify your minion status, for me, Zola.

Just for that public disrespect: you now have 12 hours.

PS. you aren't one of those cute yellow cartoon minions from that movie either. You are more of a minion in the style of Igor from Frankenstein. Or wormtongue from Lord of the Rings.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8678 on: September 06, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
My theory to makes Koreans more careful at driving is to make them all drive manuals.  Automatics make it too easy to be a shitier driver than they already are.

True that! I learned on a manual but I also learned how to drive safely. Driving a manual means that they [Korean drivers] would need to concentrate more on the road but given that they don't already check mirrors and indicate BEFORE changing lanes then I foresee more accidents. Also, how can they hold their phone and change gears at the same time?

Not sure if it is the same system here, but in England if you learn and then take the test in an automatic car, then you can only drive automatics, unless you 'upgrade' when you pass the manual test.  If you take a manual test, then you can drive both.

New Zealand used to have that rule. If you pass the drivers test in an auto = can only drive an auto; pass in a manual = can drive any kind.
About 3 - 5 years ago, they got rid of it, and if you pass, you can do anything now.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8679 on: September 06, 2018, 09:12:19 AM »

Not sure if it is the same system here, but in England if you learn and then take the test in an automatic car, then you can only drive automatics, unless you 'upgrade' when you pass the manual test.  If you take a manual test, then you can drive both.

New Zealand used to have that rule. If you pass the drivers test in an auto = can only drive an auto; pass in a manual = can drive any kind.
About 3 - 5 years ago, they got rid of it, and if you pass, you can do anything now.

Could you imagine driving out of one of those underground car parks with the incredibly steep slope in head to tail traffic with all the Koreans in front of you driving a manual?! You'd never get out. There's be a pile of cars on the bottom with shrapnel everywhere.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?