December 12, 2018, 10:32:52 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1213566 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8620 on: August 30, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
anyone else get one of those govt alerts last night at 12.24am on their phone? yeah, cheers. no way to disable it or turn off the sound. a really nice way to be woken up.

I turned mine off on Tuesday night after 3 in about an hour.

You can turn it off - it is a separate seeing from the 3 other "silence" options in iOS.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:42:27 PM by JNM »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8621 on: August 30, 2018, 03:46:47 PM »
My phone doesn't even give me the option to translate, or to copy the messages so I can translate them.
So, my emergency messages are meaningless to me, as I'll never understand them lol.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8622 on: August 30, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »
My phone doesn't even give me the option to translate, or to copy the messages so I can translate them.
So, my emergency messages are meaningless to me, as I'll never understand them lol.

Screen shot -> Google translate -> camera icon -> folder icon -> choose photo -> select text -> say "well no sh!t, Sherlock, it is hot/cold/raining!"

Online Renma

• Waygookin
« Reply #8623 on: August 30, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
You can also choose to forward the message, then copy+paste the draft.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8624 on: August 31, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
Kakao taxi app.

Write address of place you want to go in Korean. Auto changes it to the language of your phone (English). Not a problem Avec stop complaining all the time. Wrong. It is a problem because it sends the address out to all the taxis in English and they won't accept the call/fare because they either can't read it or don't want to fanny on calling you up because it's obvious you aren't Korean.

Anyone here work for Kakao taxi app design team? I'd like to sweet chin music you.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8625 on: August 31, 2018, 11:50:20 AM »
********* yes, if you don't know what you need to know to complete the assignment, you need to research it, not sit around at your tables either staring at each other or ****** around with your neighbors instead.

****** omg, yes, I don't expect you to pull information from out of thin air, you may use whatever's in the classroom to get the job done. Use the ****** internet, it's not that hard.

OMFG ****** HELL USE THE ****** COMPUTER IT'S RIGHT THERE ISN'T IT

I JUST ****** TOLD YOU YOU CAN USE THE COMPUTER GAWDDAMN

WTF YOU MEAN YOU'RE WAITING TO USE THE COMPUTER, WE HANDED OUT YOUR PHONES THEY HAVE THE INTERNET TOO WTF ARE YOU GUYS DOING

YYYYYYYYESSSSS YOU CAN USE THE ****** COMPUTER GO USE THE COMPUTER LIKE YOU JUST SAW 500 OTHER STUDENTS JUST DO GO USE IT IT HAS THE THE INTERNET USE IT PLEAAAAAASE

I managed to keep a straight face today, but it was really, really ****** hard.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8626 on: August 31, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
********* yes, if you don't know what you need to know to complete the assignment, you need to research it, not sit around at your tables either staring at each other or ****** around with your neighbors instead.

****** omg, yes, I don't expect you to pull information from out of thin air, you may use whatever's in the classroom to get the job done. Use the ****** internet, it's not that hard.

OMFG ****** HELL USE THE ****** COMPUTER IT'S RIGHT THERE ISN'T IT

I JUST ****** TOLD YOU YOU CAN USE THE COMPUTER GAWDDAMN

WTF YOU MEAN YOU'RE WAITING TO USE THE COMPUTER, WE HANDED OUT YOUR PHONES THEY HAVE THE INTERNET TOO WTF ARE YOU GUYS DOING

YYYYYYYYESSSSS YOU CAN USE THE ****** COMPUTER GO USE THE COMPUTER LIKE YOU JUST SAW 500 OTHER STUDENTS JUST DO GO USE IT IT HAS THE THE INTERNET USE IT PLEAAAAAASE

I managed to keep a straight face today, but it was really, really ****** hard.

They trust your kids with computers and phones? Wild... Mine would've had a field day with those
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8627 on: August 31, 2018, 12:28:40 PM »
They trust your kids with computers and phones? Wild... Mine would've had a field day with those

To a degree. My school takes phones away from the students at the start of the day but teachers have the authority to hand them back to the students (temporarily) if it's for help with an assignment. Same thing with the computers -- students may use them as long as teachers are supervising them.

What I like to do is to only allow one or two students in each group to have a phone. It cuts down on a lot of the possible nonsense.

But a lot of these kids still need to be told exactly what they should be doing every step of the way so that sometimes you wonder why you even bother. xD I'm beginning to wonder if these kids are being told that they have be especially careful in my classes or something.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8628 on: September 03, 2018, 11:28:13 AM »
I wasn't expecting much from a microwavable chicken meal. I thought I had my expectations low enough.

But nothing could have prepared me for what amounted to cardboard marinated in pepper-laced sweat and mildew.

This is blasphemy.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8629 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »

Screen shot -> Google translate -> camera icon -> folder icon -> choose photo -> select text -> say "well no sh!t, Sherlock, it is hot/cold/raining!"

The last one I got, actually said it was raining at a place 2 hours away from me lol. (according to my co-teacher's translation haha)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8630 on: September 03, 2018, 11:50:16 AM »

The last one I got, actually said it was raining at a place 2 hours away from me lol. (according to my co-teacher's translation haha)

I travel all over the country for work, so I always get out-of-town messages.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8631 on: September 03, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »

I travel all over the country for work, so I always get out-of-town messages.

I'm usually just nearby my town. But we all got one at work sometime last week, I asked my co-teacher, and it went like this:
Me: What does this say?
Co-T: A place 2 hours away is raining.
Me: Hard rain or something?
Co-T: Nope. Nothing to worry about. Even I'm surprised this was on the emergency message thing.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8632 on: September 04, 2018, 09:26:12 AM »
I don't really get why some people think that just because you've known each other for a time that they can suddenly be disrespectful towards and unmindful of you. I get it if you've got a comfortable enough relationship where you can tease each other, like how friends do or whatever. But this is not one of those things.

Some people just believe that being friendly equates to being meek.

I'm tolerant of the students testing me. The majority of them lack the life experience to understand how certain actions and behaviors are going to get different results from people with different backgrounds. It's an important learning experience for them.

But adults. Gawd, I hate people sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:39:45 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8633 on: September 04, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
I don't really get why some people think that just because you've known each other for a time that they can suddenly be disrespectful towards and unmindful of you. I get it if you've got a comfortable enough relationship where you can tease each other, like how friends do or whatever. But this is not one of those things.

Experienced something like this at the beginning of the year. A close friend of mine who I'd known for 7 years had become some kind of monster I couldn't recognize (my other friends saw it too). I blame mental issues, because the behavior made absolutely no sense from a logical standpoint.

I also don't like it when Koreans try to treat you the same in some regards, but different in others. It can be really annoying. We foreigners don't just accept things (especially crap) from people and bear with it.
The World Ends With You

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8634 on: September 04, 2018, 09:48:18 AM »
I also don't like it when Koreans try to treat you the same in some regards, but different in others. It can be really annoying. We foreigners don't just accept things (especially crap) from people and bear with it.
In fairness, we often treat them the same sometimes and differently in others, often subconciously. There's times to let them know and there's also times to let it slide.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8635 on: September 04, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »
Experienced something like this at the beginning of the year. A close friend of mine who I'd known for 7 years had become some kind of monster I couldn't recognize (my other friends saw it too). I blame mental issues, because the behavior made absolutely no sense from a logical standpoint.

Yeah, I've had to cut friends and family from my life because of the same thing, but in those instances they treated pretty much everyone like crap. Sometimes it was because of separate issues that took them down destructive paths that they refused to get help for, but sometimes it's because they've always been toxic assholes. 

I was basically ranting about folks in the latter category. The worst ones are the two-faced who wait to get a feel for who they think you are before making a move. I find it worse here because the hierarchical social structure kind of encourages and reinforces bullying, while a lack of understanding in cultural differences has people misreading and therefore miscalculating others and how they expect them to behave. Always seems to come as a shock to them, but it's like... I'm not ****** Korean. You can't read me the same way you do a Korean, it's not going to work out the way you expect, lol.

Another reason why I feel like I should move on to a different area. Too many of the wrong kind of folks have gotten too comfortable where I'm currently assigned, and I hate having to remind them that I'm not their punching bag.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:58:25 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #8636 on: September 04, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
I thought I'd finally found a nice place to live.  Upgraded from a one room to a brand new officetel.  Lovely thick walls.  Bliss.

I can hear my upstairs neighbour walking around.  A little bit annoying but it comes with the territory I suppose.  Although I really wish they would walk on the balls of the feet instead of their heels.  I do that.  It's a considerate thing to do when living in an apartment.  But I can live with it.

But now I can smell smoke in my apartment.  Someone around me is smoking and that really pisses me off.  The buidling managers know about it because they've put up signs everywhere.  I've written notes and put them up (as well as other people).  The depressing thing is that the smokers won't stop.  Why would they?  There's no incentive for them to stop, safe in the knowledge there's no punishment.

The sad reality of apartment living  :sad:

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8637 on: September 04, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »
I thought I'd finally found a nice place to live.  Upgraded from a one room to a brand new officetel.  Lovely thick walls.  Bliss.

I can hear my upstairs neighbour walking around.  A little bit annoying but it comes with the territory I suppose.  Although I really wish they would walk on the balls of the feet instead of their heels.  I do that.  It's a considerate thing to do when living in an apartment.  But I can live with it.

But now I can smell smoke in my apartment.  Someone around me is smoking and that really pisses me off.  The buidling managers know about it because they've put up signs everywhere.  I've written notes and put them up (as well as other people).  The depressing thing is that the smokers won't stop.  Why would they?  There's no incentive for them to stop, safe in the knowledge there's no punishment.

The sad reality of apartment living  :sad:

A Korean man's world ends at his nose!  Selfishness is the order here, and rules are only followed when someone is watching.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8638 on: September 04, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »

A Korean man's world ends at his nose!  Selfishness is the order here, and rules are only followed when someone is watching.

Oh please, you make it sound like Biff Tannen's Hill Valley or some shit.

I won't even get into the bigotry of the first part.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8639 on: September 04, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »

Oh please, you make it sound like Biff Tannen's Hill Valley or some shit.

I won't even get into the bigotry of the first part.

how about you don't get into any part, of any thread, and take your patriotic bollocks away with you, and give people a break from your broken record nationalistic nonesense?