October 19, 2018, 04:30:04 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1122572 times)

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8620 on: July 04, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
In her infinite wisdom, our MOE supervisor has planned a trip for the NETs and CTs for tomorrow.
We have to be at the education office at 12:40 sharp. The supervisor has also sent a message to my CT instructing that NETs are not allowed to leave before the end of 4th period... So, I've got to teach till 12:20, skip lunch or going to the loo, to rush to the education office by 12:40, endure a 90min bus ride, enjoy a wonderful cultural trip of being told how great Korea is for the next couple of hours... in the rain and no lunch, eat mystery dinner and arrive back at 930pm.

Wake up for school the next day.
haha there is no way in hell i'd be attending that

On the bright side, I get to reaffirm my belief that Korean culture has no redeeming qualities anymore. Every one of my 3 CTs who are attending (it's not optional) have told me that everyone thinks her schedule is ridiculously stupid, but nobody dares criticize. A person in charge could declare that 3+2 = 6 a nobody would dare question it... if/when said person in charge does get called out, they'll simply blame an underling.

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8621 on: July 04, 2018, 11:40:35 AM »
In her infinite wisdom, our MOE supervisor has planned a trip for the NETs and CTs for tomorrow.
We have to be at the education office at 12:40 sharp. The supervisor has also sent a message to my CT instructing that NETs are not allowed to leave before the end of 4th period... So, I've got to teach till 12:20, skip lunch or going to the loo, to rush to the education office by 12:40, endure a 90min bus ride, enjoy a wonderful cultural trip of being told how great Korea is for the next couple of hours... in the rain and no lunch, eat mystery dinner and arrive back at 930pm.

haha there is no way in hell i'd be attending that

On the bright side, I get to reaffirm my belief that Korean culture has no redeeming qualities anymore. Every one of my 3 CTs who are attending (it's not optional) have told me that everyone thinks her schedule is ridiculously stupid, but nobody dares criticize. A person in charge could declare that 3+2 = 6 a nobody would dare question it... if/when said person in charge does get called out, they'll simply blame an underling.

Break Time: You should be getting a one hour break for every eight hours you work. Work for 4 hours and you should get a 30 minute rest. Unfortunately the rest period is not included in the on-duty hours. Most of companies provide a one hour lunch break forcing the on-duty hours from 9:00-18:00. If you donít like eating lunch at lunch time, you are free to take your break(s) as you see fit, although some employers will stipulate lunch time in the contract.

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/index.php/article/korean-labor-laws/mod/article/act/showArticle/art_no/176

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8622 on: July 04, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »

Don't forget to claim overtime for the trip. I'd just turn up late, on purpose.

They might give you something? So are they making every teacher in the city skip lunch?  >:( >:(

Honestly I'd be super petty and whinge constantly about this, and also turn up late. Say you couldn't get  a taxi or whatever.

Just notice you are going with CTs, there's no way they'll allow you to be late then.  :huh: :huh:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:10:30 PM by Pennypie »

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8623 on: July 04, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »

They might give you something? So are they making every teacher in the city skip lunch?  >:( >:(

Honestly I'd be super petty and whinge constantly about this, and also turn up late. Say you couldn't get  a taxi or whatever.

Just notice you are going with CTs, there's no way they'll allow you to be late then.  :huh: :huh:

Honestly, I'm man enough to be able to skip lunch, but it's the principal of the matter that gets to me.
I save the whining for my online presence, doing that in real life just isn't my style, no matter how sh*tty the situation.

I'm just going to leave at the end of the 3rd period and have lunch at home. My CT is equally pissed and we'll probably get the HR teacher to just play them a movie.

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #8624 on: July 04, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »
Why does the end of the semester have to be so stressful?

My to-do list:
- Write 158 individual student comments for their report cards (five sentences each)
- Proctor final exams all morning for the rest of the week (no books, phones, or notes allowed- it's boring)
- Grade 108 final projects
- Plan my summer camp
- Attempt to teach a total of 28 after-finals classes without using movies (ha ha hahahahahaha)
- Try to decide WTF to do with CLIL (see below) next semester since my plans are due but I have no curriculum....
- Write lesson plans for advanced conversation next semester
- Have a general anxiety attack

Hopefully I can save that for last.

I think I'm going to just say I'm not the biggest fan of CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) because it's  too much work to build a curriculum from scratch- for two fifty minute lessons a week- and I have pretty much no support with it. I'm below the 22 hour class limit, but honestly if they add anything else to my schedule I might cry.

I'm flying home three weeks from Friday..... but I'll only be there for five days because that's all the vacation time my school would give me, and it's difficult to get excited because of the jet-lag. Luckily I had enough points to escape economy class, but still. It's a long way home. Apparently camp is more important than vacation and I can use the over Winter Break. They aren't violating the EPIK contract because yeah, eight days would have "interfered with the smooth running of the school."

I'm just waaaay too tired. Until now, I've been loving the job, despite all the work. Is this what burnout feels like?

TL;DR tired. overworked. vacation days suck. CLIL is no fun.
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8625 on: July 04, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »

I think I'm going to just say I'm not the biggest fan of CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) because it's  too much work to build a curriculum from scratch- for two fifty minute lessons a week- and I have pretty much no support with it. I'm below the 22 hour class limit, but honestly if they add anything else to my schedule I might cry.

can't you just focus on functional language? e.g. giving advice, agreeing/disagreeing language, telephone english, polite requests, etc? there is loads of stuff online for that, and it's actually useful to the students

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #8626 on: July 04, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »

can't you just focus on functional language? e.g. giving advice, agreeing/disagreeing language, telephone english, polite requests, etc? there is loads of stuff online for that, and it's actually useful to the students

It's a Foreign Language High School, and CLIL is one of it's selling points to parents. The students just aren't as fluent as parents/administration would like to think, because the majority of what I teach goes right over their heads.

I do wish I could focus on functional language, but quite a bit of it isn't challenging enough. These kids need CLIL-style classes, but it's not been implemented properly. It's nice to teach the subject I have a Master's in, but I wish they would supply a curriculum. For example, take-home textbooks would help both me and the students (having either one of these things happen would probably require selling one's soul to the devil or sacrificing a virgin or something).
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8627 on: July 04, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »

My to-do list:
- Write 158 individual student comments for their report cards (five sentences each)
- Proctor final exams all morning for the rest of the week (no books, phones, or notes allowed- it's boring)
- Plan my summer camp
- Attempt to teach a total of 28 after-finals classes without using movies (ha ha hahahahahaha)
- Try to decide WTF to do with CLIL (see below) next semester since my plans are due but I have no curriculum....

I'm flying home three weeks from Friday..... but I'll only be there for five days because that's all the vacation time my school would give me, and it's difficult to get excited because of the jet-lag. Luckily I had enough points to escape economy class, but still. It's a long way home. Apparently camp is more important than vacation and I can use the over Winter Break. They aren't violating the EPIK contract because yeah, eight days would have "interfered with the smooth running of the school."

I'm just waaaay too tired. Until now, I've been loving the job, despite all the work. Is this what burnout feels like?

Well there's half your problem right there.  I don't know your situation but over the years the amount of people who come to Korea to travel and experience other countries for a year or two, only to then go home during one of the two typical vacation times given during the year is astounding. 

Offline SeoulAlone

• Adventurer
« Reply #8628 on: July 04, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »
Look, I'm not much a "ranting" gal.  In fact, I'm the type of person that just lets the world hate and I do my own thing.  but......... in this case, I'm a little miffed. 

I just came from a meeting where I was (and probably the other teachers also) labeled as a racist.  I would LOVE to go into detail on how but I don't know if this other NET is a member of this forum.  I honestly had no idea what to say.  Wait, yes I did, but being the mature adult that I am, I chose to keep it to myself.  This little rat just sat and scowled through the entire meeting.  Never contributed.  Not a syllable came out off said persons mouth except to label my idea as "white dominated".  Look here f*ckt*rd!  If you didn't like my idea, then you should have come up with one yourself! Outside of Korea, these kids know NOTHING of what's going on outside of their borders, or are you teaching them to be crappy and hateful like yourself? 

Not only that, when I entered the room and was introduced to said NET, the way they shook my hand!  As if I had cooties!  Or my "white" would rub off on said NET. 

Honest to God, it was one of the most awkward meetings I have EVER been to.  Even the KT seemed to feel said NET negativity.  If this is how said NET is, holly crap should they NOT be around kids!  Or God forbid they breed and create more SJW that teach their offspring that anything outside a "minority race" is garbage and racist. 

TL;DR - I'm a racist, C'est La Vie!   :rolleyes:

donovan

« Reply #8629 on: July 04, 2018, 03:59:19 PM »
If the NET is active on this site your cover is probably already blown. May as well give all the deets :angel:

Offline SeoulAlone

• Adventurer
« Reply #8630 on: July 04, 2018, 04:01:40 PM »
If the NET is active on this site your cover is probably already blown. May as well give all the deets :angel:

Most likely, but I won't give said NET the satisfaction. 
Never mind......I guess I already did by coming in here and b*tching about it.     :blank:

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #8631 on: July 04, 2018, 04:09:53 PM »

My to-do list:
- Plan my summer camp

Well there's half your problem right there.  I don't know your situation but over the years the amount of people who come to Korea to travel and experience other countries for a year or two, only to then go home during one of the two typical vacation times given during the year is astounding.

Youíre right in that you donít know my situation. This is my third contract, and Iíve visited home exactly once in that time. I normally use vacation to get lost in a Southeast Asian country. Iím far more likely to be motorcycling around Laos on vacation instead of stay-cations (I travel internationally even on four day weekends...).

In THIS SITUATION, Iím going home BRIEFLY to meet my niece, as my younger sister is due the week before my trip. Under normal circumstances, Iíd always choose to travel within the region, but this is a major milestone for my sister, and sheís been my best friend since childhood.

It was pretty difficult to get even those five days off to see my family, as my school mainly allows teachers to travel in winter instead. So no, thatís not half my problem, and I found your comment to be a tad insensitive. What people do with their vacation time is their business, and some people have complicated lives and sometimes something just happens and they need to be with their families.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:15:54 PM by Sasstiel »
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8632 on: July 04, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »
Just finished watching Ant-Man and the Wasp (I put it at #11 out of the 20 MCU films).

During the start of the mid-credits scene, a group of kids sitting at the started shouting things like "F**K YOU!" and "SEX!" out loud. Not at someone, just at the air. No parents, just some kids. It baffles me how much freedom these kids get. I can't be the only one bothered by it. I've seen kids barely above toddlers just roaming the streets.

Even if you tell the parents that their kid is being a bad influence (or being exposed to one), I'm sure they'll deny it  :rolleyes:
The World Ends With You

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8633 on: July 05, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »

Honestly, I'm man enough to be able to skip lunch, but it's the principal of the matter that gets to me.
I save the whining for my online presence, doing that in real life just isn't my style, no matter how sh*tty the situation.

I'm just going to leave at the end of the 3rd period and have lunch at home. My CT is equally pissed and we'll probably get the HR teacher to just play them a movie.

Just tell your Co-T's that you desperately need to use the bathroom, at 12:20, then sit on the toilet, and browse Facebook, or something, for 15 - 20mins on your phone. Then just mention, you were a bit constipated, or something. If the education office lady gets angry. "Oh, I had to teach until 12:20. Then I needed to use the bathoom; And I still haven't eaten lunch!"

Offline keldule

• Adventurer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #8634 on: July 05, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »

How likely is it that this would work? Aristocrat, you gunna try?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8635 on: July 05, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »

How likely is it that this would work? Aristocrat, you gunna try?

100%. It's written in the contract. Anything after normal working hours is overtime. Although this won't be classed as instructional overtime so likely only w10k per hour or so.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8636 on: July 05, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
is it in the contract that you have to attend? just make an excuse, say you can't go

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8637 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »
Finally time for the big hospital visit that 1.5 months of clinic visits (all of which only prescribed medicine like it was a guessing game) has led to.

- Go to the suggested hospital last weekend, only to be told the kind of doctor I need isn't in that day. Gotta go to the other hospital on the other side of town.
- Get there and get put on intensive care. Get several shots and other procedures done over the course of three hours. I'm told to come back in a week.
- Go today, and the doctor tells me he'll prescribe medicine ( :huh: ) and to come back in a week.
- The nurse tells me to go to the pharmacy. I go to the one across the hall. The pharmacist says I have to pay for the meds at the office. I go back to the office. She says I have to pay at the pharmacy. I go back. The pharmacist tells me to use the random machine the nurse never mentioned to pay for the medication. He also tells me that I have to go to a different pharmacy to get the meds (Crazy that a major hospital doesn't carry everything  :undecided:).
- I go back to my neighborhood (in the pouring rain) and go to my usual pharmacy. They don't carry the medicine and tell me to go to the pharmacy on the 1st floor of the building. I go down there, and they don't have it either. They tell me to go to another clinic a few blocks away. I go there and finally get the medicine (is there like a specific place for specific types of medicines????  :-[).
- After all that is said and done, I still had to walk to school today in the rain.

TLDR - Korea has given me the worst medical experience of my entire life. Some of it can be attributed to miscommunication sure, but this is absurd. It's a good thing it's so much cheaper than back home.
The World Ends With You

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8638 on: July 09, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »
Finally time for the big hospital visit that 1.5 months of clinic visits (all of which only prescribed medicine like it was a guessing game) has led to.

- Go to the suggested hospital last weekend, only to be told the kind of doctor I need isn't in that day. Gotta go to the other hospital on the other side of town.
- Get there and get put on intensive care. Get several shots and other procedures done over the course of three hours. I'm told to come back in a week.
- Go today, and the doctor tells me he'll prescribe medicine ( :huh: ) and to come back in a week.
- The nurse tells me to go to the pharmacy. I go to the one across the hall. The pharmacist says I have to pay for the meds at the office. I go back to the office. She says I have to pay at the pharmacy. I go back. The pharmacist tells me to use the random machine the nurse never mentioned to pay for the medication. He also tells me that I have to go to a different pharmacy to get the meds (Crazy that a major hospital doesn't carry everything  :undecided:).
- I go back to my neighborhood (in the pouring rain) and go to my usual pharmacy. They don't carry the medicine and tell me to go to the pharmacy on the 1st floor of the building. I go down there, and they don't have it either. They tell me to go to another clinic a few blocks away. I go there and finally get the medicine (is there like a specific place for specific types of medicines????  :-[).
- After all that is said and done, I still had to walk to school today in the rain.

TLDR - Korea has given me the worst medical experience of my entire life. Some of it can be attributed to miscommunication sure, but this is absurd. It's a good thing it's so much cheaper than back home.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8639 on: July 09, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »
^ That's more accurate than you might think
The World Ends With You