December 14, 2018, 02:37:07 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1219003 times)

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8560 on: August 16, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
Thanks you guys! I like the sound of some of these meals! (And thanks for reminding me, I was an avid chicken/pasta cooker back home :wink: )
The World Ends With You

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #8561 on: August 21, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
I just wanna eat healthy, but they make it way more difficult  :cry:

I don't eat meat so all my packed lunches are generally vegetables. I use lentils, rice, salad vegetables. I have been going healthy recently so I am meal planning and it is actually turning out pretty good. I also use frozen fruits or even fresh fruits for smoothies. Whatever I can find to make smoothies.

I ate a lot of pasta when I came to Korea so I cannot stand it now but pasta will help too. I think if you can find the general spices you used at home, it can make it a lot easier to eat the food and not end up eating spicy food.

I love spicy food but the sweetness kills me. So gotta cook.  :P
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8562 on: August 21, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »

do other countries always put granulated sugar into their food? my wife and MIL even put a ton of sugar into bibimbap. why? makes it taste horrible

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8563 on: August 21, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »

do other countries always put granulated sugar into their food? my wife and MIL even put a ton of sugar into bibimbap. why? makes it taste horrible

That seriously sounds like a family quirk, or something that your wife picked up from you MIL when she was growing up. I have eaten many a bibimbab with different places, all over the country, and have never once seen that. I have mostly seen granulated sugar added to bread or "donuts" or corn dogs.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8564 on: August 21, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
That seriously sounds like a family quirk, or something that your wife picked up from you MIL when she was growing up. I have eaten many a bibimbab with different places, all over the country, and have never once seen that. I have mostly seen granulated sugar added to bread or "donuts" or corn dogs.
Second this. I've never even heard of this, let alone seen it EVER in my 6 years here.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8565 on: August 21, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
My school is in the process of installing more elevators to improve accessibility. That's awesome, because there are a couple of mobility-impaired students at the school, and I can see how much they struggle going between floors in the building that doesn't have elevators. They each have assigned caretakers to go with them and make sure they don't fall, but having elevator access to every floor of every building will definitely be a much better solution. I'm stoked for them.

HOWEVER.

This is the ranting thread, so rant I must. The installation of the elevators was supposed to be completed over the course of summer break. It seems the school and the contractors were delayed in coming to an agreement on a contract, though, so work began ten days later than it was supposed to. That means rather than being done before this semester started, it will be done ten days or so afterwards. That means any classrooms anywhere near the construction get to deal with construction sounds all day (because of course they aren't waiting until after school hours to work on it). The noise ranges from mildly irritating to unbearable. It's distracting to the students, makes listening exercises more difficult, and causes me to have to raise my voice far more often than I'd care to.

I thought that was the worst of it, but this afternoon someone was doing some construction work in one of the main halls of the building I'm in. He was using an pneumatic nailgun to install wooden paneling of some sort, complete with pneumatic hose running down and across the hallway, all while the hall was packed with students going to and from class. It was creating a choke point leading up to a tripping hazard right by someone using a freaking nail gun around students. He had set up a small barricade of two desks and some hazard tape, but the students didn't seem too bothered about just walking on either side of it, and the construction worker didn't appear to feel the need to correct the students who walked on his side of the barrier or to stop working until everyone had passed.

I had to play the nosy troublesome foreigner by scolding the students I saw walk on the wrong side of the barrier, then grumbling about how dangerous the situation was to the head English teacher in my office. Thankfully, the head teacher realized I had a point, so she went out and asked the workers to kindly refrain from using dangerous tools whenever there are large numbers of students trying to get to class.

Nearly seven years here, and Korean schools still find ways to surprise me.  :laugh:

:cry:

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #8566 on: August 21, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »

Not really. Korea is actually one of the first places where I have eaten food which is mostly sweet (at least for me). Spicy chicken is never spicy as it is sweet. And I absolutely adore spicy food so when I ate spicy food it was actually sweet. *disappointed* :laugh:

Perhaps it might just be a family recipe in your wife's family to add sugar into it. But your revelation just gave me diabetes. :laugh: :laugh:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8567 on: August 21, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »
Second this. I've never even heard of this, let alone seen it EVER in my 6 years here.
perhaps. actually, it isn't bibimbap, it's 열무비빔밥. not sure if that makes a difference. anyway, those facebook recipe pages always have recipes that feature sugar. it's always a paste of gochujang, soy sauce, garlic, sugar.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8568 on: August 21, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
Today I learned, after waiting 30 minutes at the bank, that you need your passport to claim a Western Union transfer.

Online SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8569 on: August 23, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
After getting to school, I was told that I didn't need to go to work since all schools on Jeju are CLOSED.  WTF, really?!  Funny how the PoE sent the message at about 9:50 AM knowing g-damn well that all of us would already be at work.  Now I'm stuck here until 5.  Yea.. after 'lunch', I'm out! 

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8570 on: August 23, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
After getting to school, I was told that I didn't need to go to work since all schools on Jeju are CLOSED.  WTF, really?!  Funny how the PoE sent the message at about 9:50 AM knowing g-damn well that all of us would already be at work.  Now I'm stuck here until 5.  Yea.. after 'lunch', I'm out!

The exact same thing happened to me 5yrs ago, when there was a pretty bad typhoon. Glad to see not much has changed with Korean bureaucracy.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8571 on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:48 AM »
Just got a note from my son's school...

"On the advice of the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education, the school will be closed tomorrow (Friday 24 August) as a precaution against Typhoon Soulik. School will finish at regular hours today (Thursday) with all after school meetings and activities postponed. All weekend activities are also postponed. Further communication will follow over the weekend."

Online SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8572 on: August 23, 2018, 11:12:35 AM »
Just got a note from my son's school...

"On the advice of the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education, the school will be closed tomorrow (Friday 24 August) as a precaution against Typhoon Soulik. School will finish at regular hours today (Thursday) with all after school meetings and activities postponed. All weekend activities are also postponed. Further communication will follow over the weekend."

Sounds like SMoE is on it...

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8573 on: August 23, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
The installation of the elevators was supposed to be completed over the course of summer break. It seems the school and the contractors were delayed in coming to an agreement on a contract, though, so work began ten days later than it was supposed to. That means rather than being done before this semester started, it will be done ten days or so afterwards. That means any classrooms anywhere near the construction get to deal with construction sounds all day (because of course they aren't waiting until after school hours to work on it). The noise ranges from mildly irritating to unbearable. It's distracting to the students, makes listening exercises more difficult, and causes me to have to raise my voice far more often than I'd care to.
Yup, government regulation and union-backed labor means that you get contractual delays for construction work. That's what you get with a liberal government. And because it's union work and you have a deadline, it means they have to work from 9-5. They don't want to work past 5pm anymore than you do. At least your kids get valuable experience in learning how to maintain their focus and do their work around construction sites. Maybe you could make a lesson about tools and construction and the rewarding career path of manual labor.

Now if you voted conservative, you could have them waive their hand at the idea of installing elevators, and allow the school to not have any refurbishment as they instead vote to give a tax cut on capital gains. Yay politics!

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8574 on: August 23, 2018, 03:10:34 PM »
None of that makes it any less frustrating for me, my coworkers, or my students, but thanks, I guess.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #8575 on: August 23, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
Yup, government regulation and union-backed labor means that you get contractual delays for construction work. That's what you get with a liberal government.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8576 on: August 27, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »
The water valve to my toilet blew up this morning. Water got everywhere. One of the few times I appreciate having a wet-style bathroom, but the toilet is close enough to the door that all hell broke loose when I opened the door to investigate the explosion.

Dealing with that put me behind schedule, and I left some of my supplies at home in my rush to get to work, so now I can't work on next week's materials between classes today.

A puddle also managed to trick me into thinking it wasn't a puddle, and now my shoes and socks are soggy wet.

I feel like this day is telling me that my new arch-nemesis is nigh.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:45:06 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8577 on: August 27, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
Today is my last day in Korea.  I'm packing and tying up loose ends.  I went to the Pension Office last week.  My coT calls me today to tell me they're missing some documents & I have to go again today.  :cry:

Online keldule

• Adventurer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #8578 on: August 27, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
Last week walked into my office/classroom and it smelled kinda funky. Didn't think anything of it, it is summer after all. Just open the windows and let it air out, right?

Turns out the source of the smell is a rotting pizza slice on top of the fridge with a bunch of dead maggots around it.

I don't want to touch it and I know my cleaning students won't want to either. *sighhhh*  >:(

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #8579 on: August 27, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »
The water valve to my toilet blew up this morning. Water got everywhere.
Look on the bright side: you may have lost a toilet, but you've gained a shower!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:30:32 PM by kyndo »