December 14, 2018, 01:50:53 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1218717 times)

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8500 on: July 17, 2018, 02:50:41 PM »
One girl, who refuses to read anything until now, was so proud that she could actually understand, pronounce and hear the difference in 'hat' 'hot' and 'hut'.

I think this was the first time she actually understood how to sound out and read English words. After class, she took a simple book from the shelf and asked me to read a few words with her before she went to her next class. 
Those light-bulb moments are what makes teaching totally worthwhile. Well, and the money, of course.  :azn:

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8501 on: July 17, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »
*Last Week*

:lipsrsealed: Me: Is it ok if I show a movie?
:-* CT: Vice Principal said we should continue teaching!
:sad: Me: Oh, ok.

*This week*

What else do I see but every teacher showing movies as I walk down the hall?

You've not learned one of the biggest rules in the Korean workplace, "Don't ask, don't tell".
The simple act of asking means your CT has to give you the official response so it doesn't come back to him/her
that he/she authorized it. You've also acknowledged that your CT has authority over you, by asking permission. Over time, you have to simply do things (within reason) without asking, pretend like you don't need permission and you'll be recognized as such.

Personally, I prefer to save the movies for the very last week.
I like to use the time to teach something useful for a change. I got in a bit of a spat with my CT, a few weeks ago, at the absolutely abysmal level of the 4th and 5th graders reading and listening ability. I explained that she can't simply rote the textbook to them, their English was actually getting worse and that since she teaches them 4 days a week as opposed to my 1, she MUST teach them how to read. The b*tch has actually been instructing them to use hangul to spell English, as a shortcut and a way to compensate for her own lack of teaching ability.

To drive the point home, last week I taught them the phonetic sounds of the 5 English vowels. Not a single 5th grader knew the phonetic sound or that an English letter had a phonetic sound as well as a name, just like Korean. It was like teaching English to students who've never learned English... scratch that, it was more challenging, as I had to at demonstrate that their 'hangulization' was hampering their ears and pronunciation. The lesson went well and this week I tested them on it.

I simply sounded out each vowel and the students had to write it down, I then moved on to a vowel an a single consonant eg. 'at' 'ab' 'ac' 'up' 'it' etc.
Finally, I tried testing them on formulating 3 letter words by listening eg. 'cat' 'mat' 'hat 'hot 'hut'.
Many students struggled and couldn't even hear how many letters I was sounding out.
However, a few absolutely shone. One girl, who refuses to read anything until now, was so proud that she could actually understand, pronounce and hear the difference in 'hat' 'hot' and 'hut'.

I think this was the first time she actually understood how to sound out and read English words. After class, she took a simple book from the shelf and asked me to read a few words with her before she went to her next class. 

... Sorry for going on a tangent, but yeah, that's my story for the day. I'd rather do that, even if it means I've only  helped start the cogs in one students head, that's certainly better than just letting them drone on watching 'Moana' for the millionth time.

At this point of the year, I'm no longer limited by the textbook, so I know what you mean. I've also used a lesson where we review letter pronunciations and use tongue twisters to help reinforce certain sounds.

As far as permission goes, it's a bit more complicated this year. My CT I refer to was the CT who "co-teached" with me last year, but this year there is another teacher who literally only comes to my school to teach 3 classes with me before going back to her main school. Meanwhile I still share office space with the former CT. She still oversees the education of the 1st graders (middle school), so I still go through her in terms of lesson planning. I'd rather ask out of courtesy at least. Yeah it sucks, but a least they can't call me lazy  :lipsrsealed:
The World Ends With You

Online rufus947

• Veteran
« Reply #8502 on: July 17, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »
Hopefully this is the right place to bitch about co workers.
Generally my co teachers are a massive help. I have three, one for fourth, fifth and sixth grade. Sadly my sixth grade co teacher took early maternity leave about four months ago. I ended up with a temporary co teacher who is completely inept.
She lets students talk over her, can't effectively discipline students and never even asks what we're going to do before a lesson. I've had four months of being responsible for planning out the semester, preparing all lesson material and figuring out how to present it without a co teacher to help translate because her English level is lower than a lot of my students.
She actually makes my job more difficult by walking around while i'm presenting vocabulary, the rules of a game or playing a song while the students complete a gapfill and then she just chats in Korean which is really distracting. She almost never speaks in English during lessons. My ideal lesson these days are the ones where she stands at the back subtly using her phone. I've also noticed that some of the work she does during her solo lessons seems very low level.. like 3rd or 4th grade color the picture kind of stuff. The classroom is often messier as well so I end up tidying frequently after her lessons end. She also has a terrible habit of jamming the photocopier and then just walking away... which isn't a great tactic as its jammed with her crappy worksheets.
I'm proud to say that three of my sixth grade classes are doing very well overall but the other two are noticeably worse in terms of their behavior.
At this point i'm feeling burnt out and can only hope that I never have the misfortune of working with her again after the semester ends next week.
Rant finished....

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8503 on: July 17, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
Generally my co teachers are a massive help. I have three, one for fourth, fifth and sixth grade. Sadly my sixth grade co teacher took early maternity leave about four months ago. I ended up with a temporary co teacher who is completely inept.
She lets students talk over her, can't effectively discipline students and never even asks what we're going to do before a lesson. I've had four months of being responsible for planning out the semester, preparing all lesson material and figuring out how to present it without a co teacher to help translate because her English level is lower than a lot of my students.
She actually makes my job more difficult by walking around while i'm presenting vocabulary, the rules of a game or playing a song while the students complete a gapfill and then she just chats in Korean which is really distracting. She almost never speaks in English during lessons. My ideal lesson these days are the ones where she stands at the back subtly using her phone. I've also noticed that some of the work she does during her solo lessons seems very low level.. like 3rd or 4th grade color the picture kind of stuff. The classroom is often messier as well so I end up tidying frequently after her lessons end. She also has a terrible habit of jamming the photocopier and then just walking away... which isn't a great tactic as its jammed with her crappy worksheets.
I'm proud to say that three of my sixth grade classes are doing very well overall but the other two are noticeably worse in terms of their behavior.
At this point i'm feeling burnt out and can only hope that I never have the misfortune of working with her again after the semester ends next week.
Rant finished....

I'm guessing she's slightly on the older side, correct?

I've worked with lots of temp teachers like that. They have very few expectations placed on them, and have no vested interest in putting a lot of effort into the classes. Also, their English level may be much lower than that of most regular teachers.

There's not much you can do. Just roll with it. There's no point getting into a spat with her. Just show up, do whatever for the forty minutes with the comfort of knowing that she doesn't care if you phone it in, and she would also prefer if you could both have a minimum effort class.

Plus, they're 6th graders, so you won't even have to deal with them next year.

Online rufus947

• Veteran
« Reply #8504 on: July 17, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
Rant finished....

I'm guessing she's slightly on the older side, correct?

I've worked with lots of temp teachers like that. They have very few expectations placed on them, and have no vested interest in putting a lot of effort into the classes. Also, their English level may be much lower than that of most regular teachers.

There's not much you can do. Just roll with it. There's no point getting into a spat with her. Just show up, do whatever for the forty minutes with the comfort of knowing that she doesn't care if you phone it in, and she would also prefer if you could both have a minimum effort class.

Plus, they're 6th graders, so you won't even have to deal with them next year.

Sadly I still have a semester to go and feel bad that my original co teacher will have to help me fix these discipline issues. She's actually quite young, early 30's. She's very polite but just seems to not take anything seriously. I've been putting a lot of work in but over the past two months try to subtly show the students that she has no real authority or role in the lesson. Like when I give out a worksheet which she can't really help the students with because it's too hard for her and I didn't give her an answer sheet. That's about the closest i'll get to any form of revenge though. I'm mostly just annoyed that she gets paid to be there and also that i'm overworked. I'm actually more stressed out now than I was while both working and studying my masters.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8505 on: July 17, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
I've been in that exact situation. And I was really stressed, and felt really petty and bitter, like you do.

Then that teacher got a bad attitude towards me and it ended up being a huge headache.

Next time I had a teacher who really didn't care at all, I just dialed back my expectations, chatted with her and the students, didn't stress about anything, and didn't try to force the lessons, and everything was great. It was one of the easiest semesters I ever had, and everyone was happy.

Just change your perspective and realize that you've basically been given a free pass to have super low-effort classes.

Having a super disinterested teacher who doesn't ask anything of you or the students doesn't mean you have to do more work. It actually means you can do much, much less.

Online rufus947

• Veteran
« Reply #8506 on: July 17, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »
I've been in that exact situation. And I was really stressed, and felt really petty and bitter, like you do.

Then that teacher got a bad attitude towards me and it ended up being a huge headache.

Next time I had a teacher who really didn't care at all, I just dialed back my expectations, chatted with her and the students, didn't stress about anything, and didn't try to force the lessons, and everything was great. It was one of the easiest semesters I ever had, and everyone was happy.

Just change your perspective and realize that you've basically been given a free pass to have super low-effort classes.

Having a super disinterested teacher who doesn't ask anything of you or the students doesn't mean you have to do more work. It actually means you can do much, much less.

I can't really look at it that way though. I have to prepare all of the lesson material because she won't do that. so I can halfass that but then the lessons won't be as much fun and the students are the ones losing out. I also have to discipline students if they misbehave. I have to tell them to be quiet during class. So I can not discipline kids but that's only going to cause problems. I also have to check she does things like prepare tests... which she forgot about.. and then we ended up doing three tests in a row with all of my lessons.

I mean if I don't put any work in... discipline becomes a bigger issue and the students don't enjoy the lessons as much. The only reason I have three good classes and two bad ones is because I put so much work in. It's not a matter of perspective. It's a matter of me having to do everything and find ways of overcoming the language barrier between me and the students at the same time.

I can't just chat with her either because her English is way too low for this position. She only got the job because she was literally the only person who was available at such short notice.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8507 on: July 17, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
I like to have a nap on the subway, as I have a fairly long journey. I am also listening to music. Two days in a row now, while I was sleeping, someone found it suitable to tap me until I wake up, make me remove my earphones, and try and talk to me. This isn't acceptable behaviour, right? I wanted to do nothing more than to tell them to **** off and leave me alone

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8508 on: July 17, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
I like to have a nap on the subway, as I have a fairly long journey. I am also listening to music. Two days in a row now, while I was sleeping, someone found it suitable to tap me until I wake up, make me remove my earphones, and try and talk to me. This isn't acceptable behaviour, right? I wanted to do nothing more than to tell them to **** off and leave me alone

Just growl at them... Not a silly growl, but an honest bear growl.

People ignore the mentally ill.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8509 on: July 17, 2018, 05:10:46 PM »
Just growl at them... Not a silly growl, but an honest bear growl.

People ignore the mentally ill.

My mom's friend, back when they went to U of T, would recite the dialogue from A New Hope quite loudly as she walked home.

No one ever fu**ed with her.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8510 on: July 18, 2018, 07:52:51 AM »

Are you riding Line 1?

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8511 on: July 18, 2018, 08:24:58 AM »

I don't know how some people have the nerve to do that to strangers. I barely had the nerve as a kid to wake my parents when they were sleeping.
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8512 on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »
Yeah, I don't get it, either. Some people are just that socially oblivious, but most of the ones I've encountered aren't oblivious -- they're just brazen because they're either 1) disrespectful of others (especially of non-Korean ethnicities/nationalities) and believe they can get away with bad or inconsiderate behavior towards them as long as they do it with a smile, or 2) they've got the wrong idea about what non-Korean cultures are like, and ignore social cues to the contrary because they've tunnel-visioned on that idea.

I've also both read and been told about how some asshats have actually yanked earphones out of people's ears. No idea what I'd do if someone did this to me, the very idea pisses me off so much that I don't know if I could stay polite after that.

Anyway, if it keeps happening to you, work on your resting bitch face. 100% tested and approved.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8513 on: July 18, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
Yeah, I don't get it, either. Some people are just that socially oblivious, but most of the ones I've encountered aren't oblivious -- they're just brazen because they're either 1) disrespectful of others (especially of non-Korean ethnicities/nationalities) and believe they can get away with bad or inconsiderate behavior towards them as long as they do it with a smile, or 2) they've got the wrong idea about what non-Korean cultures are like, and ignore social cues to the contrary because they've tunnel-visioned on that idea.

I've also both read and been told about how some asshats have actually yanked earphones out of people's ears. No idea what I'd do if someone did this to me, the very idea pisses me off so much that I don't know if I could stay polite after that.

Anyway, if it keeps happening to you, work on your resting bitch face. 100% tested and approved.

RBF in combination with death glare.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8514 on: July 18, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »

i asked my wife if anyone would do this to a korean citizen and i got a solid "no"

it's a pretty obvious social cue not to disturb someone if they are listening to music -- and if someone is sleeping, too...

it's always the older generation, though. probably the whole "i'm older so i can do what i want" attitude. i don't believe for a second they are socially oblivious -- just they think the rules don't apply to them

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #8515 on: July 18, 2018, 11:30:11 AM »
Rant finished....

I have a similar situation, but with my 5th grade coteacher. First coteacher was a temp coteacher. She was absolutely amazing. We were around the same age (both on the younger end), and she spoke almost perfect English. We would plan lessons together and I knew that her lessons would be excellent with or without me. Kids excelled, and, despite being notoriously the worst behaved grade in the school, they behaved quite well in our classes.

In the middle of the semester, the original (full time) teacher returned. She's back just to finish out the semester and get retirement. She's the sweetest person in the world, but she can't speak English to save her life, and she can't control the students. In just a month, all of the classes have devolved. They don't listen, they don't participate, and they don't retain anything they've learned.

I've instituted a 3-strike system. They get a tally mark on the board if they're loud or not listening (the whole class, or just one person), and 3 tallies means we stop whatever we're doing and they have to copy and translate lines in silence for the rest of class. They're still not as good as they were with the temp teacher, but they are behaving better.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8516 on: July 18, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
Today is draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagging.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8517 on: July 18, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »

Have you considered taking speed?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8518 on: July 18, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »

Not until now. Wanna deliver some to my school?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8519 on: July 18, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »

Not until now. Wanna deliver some to my school?

Co-worker just came by with a round of iced coffee for the crew.
Caffeine level back on spec!

(Is it Friday yet?)