September 25, 2018, 08:00:59 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098158 times)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8480 on: June 20, 2018, 01:20:21 PM »
Kill 1 child at the start of the semester.  Use an overly long knife and decapitate them in front of the class.  Smear the blood on the faces of the front row, and tell them they will be next if anyone steps out of line.  Place the head on a spike in the corner and let it serve as a warning for transgressors.  Minor offences can be punnished by cleaning the flies and maggots of the decaying skull of the "example".  When semester finishes, return the head to the family.  Repeat each semester.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8481 on: June 20, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »

Overall, this is a mentally draining time for me due to both boredom and frustration. I think the speaking tests are a big waste of everyone's time because they don't actually effectively evaluate language abilities as they currently are, and too many people cheat the system anyway.

THAT part I completely agree with
The World Ends With You

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8482 on: June 20, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »
Korea afterschool English teacher is in the next room. I have the great pleasure of listening to her reinvent the English language and berate students for not being able to mimic her God awful pronunciation.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #8483 on: June 20, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »
Korea afterschool English teacher is in the next room. I have the great pleasure of listening to her reinvent the English language and berate students for not being able to mimic her God awful pronunciation.

The afterschool teacher at my old school could barely string together "Hi, my name is --." Trying to undo all the crap she'd taught my students the year before was terrible. I will never, ever for the life of me understand why they allow people to teach a subject they don't even know. As far as I know, only contract teachers have to pass a certain TOEFL level to maintain their contracts. Regular teachers don't have to do that.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8484 on: June 20, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »

The afterschool teacher at my old school could barely string together "Hi, my name is --." Trying to undo all the crap she'd taught my students the year before was terrible. I will never, ever for the life of me understand why they allow people to teach a subject they don't even know. As far as I know, only contract teachers have to pass a certain TOEFL level to maintain their contracts. Regular teachers don't have to do that.

But the qualification requirements for contract teachers are generally much lower and a much less restrictive barrier than the qualifications required to be a regular teacher these days. Note: older teachers are still hit or miss, but almost any teacher under 33-35 (at least in Seoul) is going to be more than proficient in English, because the competition to get into public teaching jobs is savage, and only the highest level people tend to get in.

So, while contract teachers have too pass a certain TOEFL level, they don't necessarily have to be of the same caliber that regular teachers are. And those TOEFL tests are a joke, anyways.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #8485 on: June 20, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »

But the qualification requirements for contract teachers are generally much lower and a much less restrictive barrier than the qualifications required to be a regular teacher these days. Note: older teachers are still hit or miss, but almost any teacher under 33-35 (at least in Seoul) is going to be more than proficient in English, because the competition to get into public teaching jobs is savage, and only the highest level people tend to get in.

So, while contract teachers have too pass a certain TOEFL level, they don't necessarily have to be of the same caliber that regular teachers are. And those TOEFL tests are a joke, anyways.

Yeah, that's true. I didn't think about the other qualifications. I just know that, generally (from schools in large non-Seoul cities and in mid-size Seoul-satellite cities) the contract teachers I've worked with have had much higher English levels than the regular teachers. Regular teachers, whatever their age, always had either near perfect English or didn't even know the alphabet, while contract teacher (even the older ones) consistently had excellent English.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8486 on: June 20, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
My PoE is having one of its semiannual provincial training seminars this Friday. That alone is reason enough to want to rant and vent, but my school has decided I need to come in and teach my first period class that morning, too. That means I get to make the 45 minute commute in the opposite direction of the training location, teach one class, then make the 2 hour trip to the training, finding some time/place to eat lunch on the way (no food or drinks in the training rooms, of course).

Every other time, I've been allowed to just stay home in the morning and go straight from my apartment to training, which allows me to just eat at home, cuts out the morning commute, and cuts the travel time to the venue in half. I don't know why they've decided it needs to be different this time, but I'm... less than thrilled about it.

In other news, some students broke into the school late last night, apparently, and were caught by the security system. I only found this out when I asked an absentee CoT where he was during a particularly unruly class I had just finished. He was off investigating the incident, but that's something I apparently didn't need to be told ahead of time.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8487 on: June 21, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
In the subway underground there's a foreigner (backpacker?) selling photos of himself  :undecided:

Really? lol. Has he sold any?

No idea.  Didn't stick around to see  :laugh:

Oh. Uhh... That's too bad. haha

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8488 on: June 21, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
My PoE is having one of its semiannual provincial training seminars this Friday. That alone is reason enough to want to rant and vent, but my school has decided I need to come in and teach my first period class that morning, too. That means I get to make the 45 minute commute in the opposite direction of the training location, teach one class, then make the 2 hour trip to the training, finding some time/place to eat lunch on the way (no food or drinks in the training rooms, of course).

With you on that. Especially since I'm leaving...can't be arsed is a massive understatement.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8489 on: June 21, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »

Every other time, I've been allowed to just stay home in the morning and go straight from my apartment to training, which allows me to just eat at home, cuts out the morning commute, and cuts the travel time to the venue in half. I don't know why they've decided it needs to be different this time, but I'm... less than thrilled about it.
can't you just go to the seminar, sign your name, then leave? that's what i used to do (and the korean english teachers)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #8490 on: June 21, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
In the subway underground there's a foreigner (backpacker?) selling photos of himself  :undecided:

It's not the first time I've seen him so I do wonder if he's actually had any sales  :undecided:

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8491 on: June 21, 2018, 12:08:00 PM »

It's not the first time I've seen him so I do wonder if he's actually had any sales  :undecided:

Ahh really?! :O If you have the time / motivation to do so, please find out. FOR SCIENCE!

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8492 on: June 21, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »

can't you just go to the seminar, sign your name, then leave? that's what i used to do (and the korean english teachers)

That wouldn't really solve the problem of having to commute to one city, teach one class, then commute to a different city in the opposite direction for the seminar, haha.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8493 on: June 21, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
That wouldn't really solve the problem of having to commute to one city, teach one class, then commute to a different city in the opposite direction for the seminar, haha.
Would having a friend sign for you solve the problem?  :angel:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8494 on: June 21, 2018, 01:35:47 PM »
Would having a friend sign for you solve the problem?  :angel:

It would!

...if I had any friends.  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #8495 on: June 22, 2018, 07:55:56 AM »
It's a small grievance but it's really starting to grate on my nerves. My school LOVES using the English room as its meeting/presentation room. I don't mind. What I do mind is the fact that they always rearrange the desks for their events and then leave them like that. Could you not take a simple 5 minutes with your group and put the desks back the way they were?  >:(
Instead, I have to spend the first 5 minutes of my class getting the students to help me put the desks back in order. Maybe it's a sign that I'm ready to leave Korea. I only have two more months here but it seems like even the small stuff is starting to bother me. I think it's good I'm leaving soon.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8496 on: June 22, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
It's a small grievance but it's really starting to grate on my nerves. My school LOVES using the English room as its meeting/presentation room. I don't mind. What I do mind is the fact that they always rearrange the desks for their events and then leave them like that. Could you not take a simple 5 minutes with your group and put the desks back the way they were?  >:(
Instead, I have to spend the first 5 minutes of my class getting the students to help me put the desks back in order. Maybe it's a sign that I'm ready to leave Korea. I only have two more months here but it seems like even the small stuff is starting to bother me. I think it's good I'm leaving soon.

There was a meeting in the English room last week, and I just left a very large note on the white board. All desks were in order when I came in the next day. That is something that annoys me, too.

Offline wherever dreaming goes

• Adventurer
« Reply #8497 on: June 22, 2018, 09:03:43 AM »
Yeah, I get it. It's super annoying to keep rearranging those desks. They do the same at my school, they hold meetings every week at the end of the day and t's the chinese teacher that always has to re-arrange the desks, luckily she has me in the mornings to help her and the classes are pretty small so there isn't a lot of moving around.  She is forever complaining under her breath when this happens, though.

If the teachers can move the desks for the meeting then they can surely move them back when they're done. Maybe speak to your co-teacher and tell her in a polite way to ask the teachers if they can re-arrange the desks when theyre done because it's tedious for you to do it everytime before a class.

Look at it this way, you've only got two months left here, so say what you need, don't hold back :) It may even make things easier for the next teacher.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8498 on: June 22, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
Some piece of sh*t has parked their crappy Equus across the entrance to the school parking area. Cars cannot enter or leave the premises, including the delivery guys. It's not the VP or principal attempting to stop teachers from leaving early either.

I have no classes till after lunch so wanted to zip out to get my laptop charger. There's no number on the windscreen either.
The mentality just baffles me.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8499 on: June 22, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »
Some piece of sh*t has parked their crappy Equus across the entrance to the school parking area. Cars cannot enter or leave the premises, including the delivery guys. It's not the VP or principal attempting to stop teachers from leaving early either.

I have no classes till after lunch so wanted to zip out to get my laptop charger. There's no number on the windscreen either.
The mentality just baffles me.

I'm just picturing this in my head and I'm getting myself all worked up over it.

Do they even do towing for illegally parked cars here, like, at all? I know it's usually overlooked and everything, but times like these where they're literally impeding traffic and entrances should at least be the exception.  >:(