November 16, 2018, 04:34:12 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1163069 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8480 on: July 17, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
Individually wrapped cookies.

**** you, Lotte.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8481 on: July 17, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

I ordered some box tape. 26 rolls. I use a lot of tape. EVERY roll of tape was individually wrapped in a plastic bag.

Stupid.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8482 on: July 17, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

I ordered some box tape. 26 rolls. I use a lot of tape. EVERY roll of tape was individually wrapped in a plastic bag.

Stupid.

Really, what kind of people do they take us for?

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8483 on: July 17, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
My Korean customs clearance code is saved on my Amazon address book... Still, I'm constantly getting e-mails from customs asking for my clearance code, it's annoying as hell when you do the bulk of your shopping online. Read the address, you freakin' wallies.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8484 on: July 17, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »
My Korean customs clearance code is saved on my Amazon address book... Still, I'm constantly getting e-mails from customs asking for my clearance code, it's annoying as hell when you do the bulk of your shopping online. Read the address, you freakin' wallies.

That's why I use my wife's code so she can get bothered by customs :)

donovan

« Reply #8485 on: July 17, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »

**** you, Lotte.

Stupid.

Really, what kind of people do they take us for?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8486 on: July 17, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »

**** you, Lotte.
yeah, ordering stuff like cans of tuna from coupang. wrapped in bubble wrap, with the cans wrapped in plastic (in cans of 3), and then the cans of 3 are wrapped in more plastic, in sets of 9.

this is all surrounded with those air-pocket padding, and put in a box. or, in another plastic bag

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #8487 on: July 17, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »

What do you figure: was this the post that got Donovan muted?  :laugh:

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8488 on: July 17, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
*Last Week*

:lipsrsealed: Me: Is it ok if I show a movie?
:-* CT: Vice Principal said we should continue teaching!
:sad: Me: Oh, ok.

*This week*

What else do I see but every teacher showing movies as I walk down the hall?
The World Ends With You

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8489 on: July 17, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

It's okay. You'll get used to being held to a completely different standard than Korean teachers.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8490 on: July 17, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »
Some kids you literally want to shake by the neck of their shirt and tell them that they're f**king awful.

Our school board decided that having 27 kids in the 3rd grade level wasn't enough to warrant two homeroom classes. So there is ONE.

Can't imagine what it's like for their homeroom teacher.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8491 on: July 17, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

Just show a movie then.

Offline MoonChild

• Waygookin
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #8492 on: July 17, 2018, 01:18:55 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

Played charades with my kids...its English and good for conversation. I am not talking much... :laugh:
Man's not hot

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8493 on: July 17, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

Just don't ask, wait until you're on your way to class and they ask what you've prepared. Just say, oh, I'm planning to watch a movie with the students.
Then if it's a problem, just give the ol' "Sorry, I don't have anything else prepared." line.
Granted, my schools actually prefer watching movies vs playing games / teaching after exams lol; 2/3 of my co-teachers hate games.

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8494 on: July 17, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Donovan's been muted and that penis enlarger thread has vanished from thin air. Flags at half mast please.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8495 on: July 17, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

This happens to me at the end of every single semester.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8496 on: July 17, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »
Donovan's been muted and that penis enlarger thread has vanished from thin air. Flags at half mast please.

Nice euphemism.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8497 on: July 17, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

You've not learned one of the biggest rules in the Korean workplace, "Don't ask, don't tell".
The simple act of asking means your CT has to give you the official response so it doesn't come back to him/her
that he/she authorized it. You've also acknowledged that your CT has authority over you, by asking permission. Over time, you have to simply do things (within reason) without asking, pretend like you don't need permission and you'll be recognized as such.

Personally, I prefer to save the movies for the very last week.
I like to use the time to teach something useful for a change. I got in a bit of a spat with my CT, a few weeks ago, at the absolutely abysmal level of the 4th and 5th graders reading and listening ability. I explained that she can't simply rote the textbook to them, their English was actually getting worse and that since she teaches them 4 days a week as opposed to my 1, she MUST teach them how to read. The b*tch has actually been instructing them to use hangul to spell English, as a shortcut and a way to compensate for her own lack of teaching ability.

To drive the point home, last week I taught them the phonetic sounds of the 5 English vowels. Not a single 5th grader knew the phonetic sound or that an English letter had a phonetic sound as well as a name, just like Korean. It was like teaching English to students who've never learned English... scratch that, it was more challenging, as I had to at demonstrate that their 'hangulization' was hampering their ears and pronunciation. The lesson went well and this week I tested them on it.

I simply sounded out each vowel and the students had to write it down, I then moved on to a vowel an a single consonant eg. 'at' 'ab' 'ac' 'up' 'it' etc.
Finally, I tried testing them on formulating 3 letter words by listening eg. 'cat' 'mat' 'hat 'hot 'hut'.
Many students struggled and couldn't even hear how many letters I was sounding out.
However, a few absolutely shone. One girl, who refuses to read anything until now, was so proud that she could actually understand, pronounce and hear the difference in 'hat' 'hot' and 'hut'.

I think this was the first time she actually understood how to sound out and read English words. After class, she took a simple book from the shelf and asked me to read a few words with her before she went to her next class. 

... Sorry for going on a tangent, but yeah, that's my story for the day. I'd rather do that, even if it means I've only  helped start the cogs in one students head, that's certainly better than just letting them drone on watching 'Moana' for the millionth time.

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8498 on: July 17, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »

Nice euphemism.

;D
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8499 on: July 17, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »
*Last Week*

*This week*

You've not learned one of the biggest rules in the Korean workplace, "Don't ask, don't tell".
The simple act of asking means your CT has to give you the official response so it doesn't come back to him/her
that he/she authorized it. You've also acknowledged that your CT has authority over you, by asking permission. Over time, you have to simply do things (within reason) without asking, pretend like you don't need permission and you'll be recognized as such.

Personally, I prefer to save the movies for the very last week.
I like to use the time to teach something useful for a change. I got in a bit of a spat with my CT, a few weeks ago, at the absolutely abysmal level of the 4th and 5th graders reading and listening ability. I explained that she can't simply rote the textbook to them, their English was actually getting worse and that since she teaches them 4 days a week as opposed to my 1, she MUST teach them how to read. The b*tch has actually been instructing them to use hangul to spell English, as a shortcut and a way to compensate for her own lack of teaching ability.

To drive the point home, last week I taught them the phonetic sounds of the 5 English vowels. Not a single 5th grader knew the phonetic sound or that an English letter had a phonetic sound as well as a name, just like Korean. It was like teaching English to students who've never learned English... scratch that, it was more challenging, as I had to at demonstrate that their 'hangulization' was hampering their ears and pronunciation. The lesson went well and this week I tested them on it.

I simply sounded out each vowel and the students had to write it down, I then moved on to a vowel an a single consonant eg. 'at' 'ab' 'ac' 'up' 'it' etc.
Finally, I tried testing them on formulating 3 letter words by listening eg. 'cat' 'mat' 'hat 'hot 'hut'.
Many students struggled and couldn't even hear how many letters I was sounding out.
However, a few absolutely shone. One girl, who refuses to read anything until now, was so proud that she could actually understand, pronounce and hear the difference in 'hat' 'hot' and 'hut'.

I think this was the first time she actually understood how to sound out and read English words. After class, she took a simple book from the shelf and asked me to read a few words with her before she went to her next class. 

... Sorry for going on a tangent, but yeah, that's my story for the day. I'd rather do that, even if it means I've only  helped start the cogs in one students head, that's certainly better than just letting them drone on watching 'Moana' for the millionth time.

I've done listening activities like that. It can be really effective.

Where do you work where 4th and 5th graders have five English classes per week?