July 16, 2018, 10:40:56 PM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1035837 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8440 on: June 15, 2018, 08:09:55 AM »
Car parking spaces are too narrow. I've just climbed into my car through the sunroof.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8441 on: June 15, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
Car parking spaces are too narrow. I've just climbed into my car through the sunroof.

Isn't this how you normally get in your car?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8442 on: June 15, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »
I think the line painters donít drive.  Same for the dotted curved lines at intersections.

Offline orange6ur1

• Adventurer
« Reply #8443 on: June 15, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
Speaking tests begin next week. Dreading.
waahhhh..i love speaking test week :P
The teaching/making sure they wrote everything correctly-part isn't the best buttttt sometimes I'll see a really funny or interesting answer.

My Question: I wonder why she is late.
Student's Answer: I'm not sure, but it seems to me that she killed a man.
Me....um........great.....

Online denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8444 on: June 15, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
I just took a hard fall from the uneven tiles in our teachers room.  I went down hard.  I'm now going to have a huge bruise on my knee and probably my hip. 

I wish they would fix or replace those stupid things.  >:(

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8445 on: June 15, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »
Mandatory CPR training in Korean again. I explained to my co-teacher that it wasn't appropriate for me to attend a Korean CPR training session because I won't understand and it could end up being dangerous if I'm recorded as being CPR trained when I'm not.

"All teachers must attend."

Coincidentally, today I was also told not to give food to the students (I never do this) because a 1st grader choked to death in another school in Chungnam. I don't suppose they'll stop serving lunch, though.

"Didn't someone do the Heimlich maneuver?"
"I don't know."

I found a brief article about it here. Seems that the student choked in the classroom during class and died in hospital.

Did anyone try the Heimlich? Did they know it? Did they do CPR instead? Is the Heimlich maneuver taught to school staff? Where was the school nurse?

I need to go do something distracting because thinking about health and safety here is making my blood boil.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #8446 on: June 15, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
Mandatory CPR training in Korean again. I explained to my co-teacher that it wasn't appropriate for me to attend a Korean CPR training session because I won't understand and it could end up being dangerous if I'm recorded as being CPR trained when I'm not.

I need to go do something distracting because thinking about health and safety here is making my blood boil.

If it makes you feel any better, I doubt the Korean teachers come out of it much more capable of saving a life through the maneuver than you. Any time I've attended these 'training sessions' they've tried to make it the presentations upbeat and casual, the teachers getting very giggly when it comes time to practice on the dummies. But if you're going to perform life-saving CPR, you have to be prepared to break the person rib cage, and then continue pushing. I don't think anyone at my school would have the stomach to do it properly.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8447 on: June 15, 2018, 11:59:00 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I doubt the Korean teachers come out of it much more capable of saving a life through the maneuver than you. Any time I've attended these 'training sessions' they've tried to make it the presentations upbeat and casual, the teachers getting very giggly when it comes time to practice on the dummies. But if you're going to perform life-saving CPR, you have to be prepared to break the person rib cage, and then continue pushing. I don't think anyone at my school would have the stomach to do it properly.

This is accurate. Fun fact: you can't learn CPR in an two-hour afternoon class with about 40 students and two or three instructors. It doesn't work that way. CPR is like, decidedly not the easiest thing in the world to do and it takes practice and hands-on instruction.

And incorrectly performed, it'll either not help someone or it'll cause further harm.

But as long as schools can post pictures of teachers 'learning' it and becoming 'safety trained,' then mission accomplished.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8448 on: June 15, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »

Coincidentally, today I was also told not to give food to the students (I never do this) because a 1st grader choked to death in another school in Chungnam. I don't suppose they'll stop serving lunch, though.

"I don't know."

I found a brief article about it here. Seems that the student choked in the classroom during class and died in hospital.

Did anyone try the Heimlich? Did they know it? Did they do CPR instead? Is the Heimlich maneuver taught to school staff? Where was the school nurse?

Make them not want you there.  Question every instruction: I don't understand, can you say in English please?

They will soon tire of having to put effort into something and excuse you from future endeavours.

Offline orange6ur1

• Adventurer
« Reply #8449 on: June 15, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »

If it makes you feel any better I have to attend our CPR training as well every year. I actually had to do this in high school in America and it's funny to see that in Korea, they follow the exact same teaching routine :P

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8450 on: June 15, 2018, 12:31:03 PM »

Make them not want you there.  Question every instruction: I don't understand, can you say in English please?

They will soon tire of having to put effort into something and excuse you from future endeavours.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The World Ends With You

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #8451 on: June 15, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

At our last one I raised my hand and asked a question (in Korean) to the presenters about the possibilities of breaking ribs when performing the technique. He said he would address it later. Then never did.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8452 on: June 15, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
At our last one I raised my hand and asked a question (in Korean) to the presenters about the possibilities of breaking ribs when performing the technique. He said he would address it later. Then never did.
  It's actually a really big issue when performing CPR on infants. When I did my lifeguard training, we learned that for children under 12 months of age, one should use only two fingers when doing chest compressions rather than the heel of your palm. Also, they should be only about 3.5cm deep rather than the usual 5.

TL;DR: Try not to break ribs, especially in Korea where we aren't protected by the Good Samaritan act, or its equivalent.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8453 on: June 15, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »

Right. I had to attend one of these sessions despite actually having been certified, and it's very much a huge waste of time. Every single teacher did it incorrectly during the practice portion of the session (they all complained about their wrists hurting while doing it, but they literally, literally just barely pushed down on the dummies, and they weren't even keeping their arms locked and straight while doing it). And they were never corrected by the firefighters who were instructing the class, either.

Plus, this CPR thing is supposed to be mostly in case something happens to a student... but they only ever went over the compressions and never over the breathing. The breathing portion never even got mentioned, at least during the session I was made to attend.

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8454 on: June 15, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »

"I don't know."

According to the article that you posted, the incident occurred during an 'after-school' class early on Wednesday morning. The regular teachers (whom the CPR training is aimed at) were probably not even in school, and I wouldn't be surprised if the school nurse wasn't there either.

Also, I recommend everyone to get a Korean teacher to perform CPR if it's ever necessary. We all know how much Koreans love to scapegoat other people when things go wrong, especially when they have a non-Korean to blame.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #8455 on: June 15, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »

"I don't know."

They made me go to that last year even after I already showed them my up-to-date, in-an-actual-classroom, paramedic-level CPR/AED/First Aid certs from back home (first earned way back in 2009, and kept up-to-date with recertification and trainings until I moved here, as required by both my lifeguarding and my preschool jobs back home). Because apparently it wasn't as good as the "certification" earned from watching a 20-minute video in Korean, listening to a 10-minute lecture in Korean, and then "practicing" for 10 minutes on a semi-functioning dummy with two overly-giggly coteachers.

None of them were doing it right, and they were teaching the CPR technique that was recommended back in like 2010. They updated the compression/rhythm recommendations a couple years ago, right before I came over. IIRC, the new Red Cross guidelines push compressions over breathing, and changed the number (NOT depth) of compressions to be the same between children and adults. Infant CPR remained the same. But, honestly, this particular class was over a year ago, so my memory is a little foggy, and I have let my certification lapse since moving here.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:42:35 PM by tadpole511 »

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8456 on: June 15, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »

They made me go to that last year even after I already showed them my up-to-date, in-an-actual-classroom, paramedic-level CPR/AED/First Aid certs from back home (first earned way back in 2009, and kept up-to-date with recertification and trainings since then, as required by my preschool job back home). Because apparently it wasn't as good as the "certification" earned from watching a 20-minute video in Korean, listening to a 10-minute lecture in Korean, and then "practicing" for 10 minutes on a semi-functioning dummy with two overly-giggly coteachers.

You'd think that natural selection would weed them out at this point...  :lipsrsealed:
The World Ends With You

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8457 on: June 15, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »
I just took a hard fall from the uneven tiles in our teachers room.  I went down hard.  I'm now going to have a huge bruise on my knee and probably my hip. 

You need to go to the hospital and get your injuries checked out. Scans etc.

And do it today. It's vitally important for claiming worker's compensation. Medical expenses for accidents at work are fully covered by the employer. Take pictures and video of the uneven tiles too.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8458 on: June 16, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
IIRC, the new Red Cross guidelines push compressions over breathing, and changed the number (NOT depth) of compressions to be the same between children and adults. Infant CPR remained the same. But, honestly, this particular class was over a year ago, so my memory is a little foggy, and I have let my certification lapse since moving here.

It's been a while for me, too, so (and for anyone else who's interested):

https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/cpr/performing-cpr/cpr-steps

http://www.redcross.org/news/article/Compression-Only-CPR-Okay-in-Certain-Situations

https://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m4240175_Pediatric_ready_reference.pdf

https://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m4240170_Adult_ready_reference.pdf

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8459 on: June 16, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »

You need to go to the hospital and get your injuries checked out. Scans etc.

And do it today. It's vitally important for claiming worker's compensation. Medical expenses for accidents at work are fully covered by the employer. Take pictures and video of the uneven tiles too.
     But why? To what end?
     It's a lot of hassle with no benefit to denimdaze, unless she plans to sue. Which would be difficult considering that the MOE would just not renew her. Considering the how easy these kinds of cases are to delay, she would end up pursuing the charges from out country, making it both really expensive, and nearly impossible to win.
    Better to use use the accident to gain a bit of social capital, to be spent on negotiating a better summer/winter holiday.  :smiley: