July 19, 2018, 09:48:11 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1040813 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8360 on: June 05, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
things that would make me not vote for you:

- illegally parking your 'voting' van
- blaring music really early or late at night. actually, blaring music any time
- singing
- dancing
- blocking the subway stairs while trying to hand me a leaflet
- spamming my phone with SMS messages
- cold calling me at all hours

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8361 on: June 05, 2018, 11:42:16 AM »
That place has good stewing beef too.

로켓배송 has some good steaks you should check out

I basically buy all my meat online

I found some Australian beef that's edible as steak, if a bit chewy, but also not so good that you feel bad using it for curry or soup or whatever. It was like 5,900 per 400g. Let me see if I can find the link.

Offline wherever dreaming goes

• Adventurer
« Reply #8362 on: June 05, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »
Another rant...  a new Co-T that never listens to anything i say and keeps saying "Ya -ya" after everythingand just focuses on getting his message across, anything i say after that he pays no attention to.  He assumes everything is a yes or no question, says his annoying "ya-ya" and then gives me a wide fcking smile afterward. When i wait for a proper response, he looks at me with a confused look making me repeat it.

Today I asked a simple question which was not a yes or no question, I know I spoke loudly, slowly and clearly 'cause even the kindergarten teacher with an extremely low level of English understood and responded and guess what i got from him? an answer that had absolutely nothing to do with what i asked!

On top of that, he has no idea what personal space is. Whenever he has to say anything to me, he has to come right up to my face and say it softly. He does this a lot during class where he's at the other end of the class and I have to patiently wait for him to walk around just to ask me a stupid question.  I lean away hoping he'll get the hint and reply loud enough for him to hear so he doesn't need to move closer, but he only asks me to repeat myself and then moves closer. 

URG he frustrates me so much!!!

He's a new co-T and i really want to form a good working relationship with him, but he's so damn annoying!!!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #8363 on: June 05, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »
He's a new co-T and i really want to form a good working relationship with him, but he's so damn annoying!!!

Hit him with a rolled up newspaper.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #8364 on: June 05, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
Another rant...  a new Co-T that never listens to anything i say and keeps saying "Ya -ya" after everything and just focuses on getting his message across, anything i say after that he pays no attention to.  He assumes everything is a yes or no question, says his annoying "ya-ya" and then gives me a wide fcking smile afterward. When i wait for a proper response, he looks at me with a confused look making me repeat it.

There's a big different between ya-ya! and ye-ye. I hope you mean ye-ye. But yeah, sounds annoying~

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #8365 on: June 05, 2018, 10:00:05 PM »
Another rant...  a new Co-T that never listens to anything i say and keeps saying "Ya -ya" after everythingand just focuses on getting his message across, anything i say after that he pays no attention to.  He assumes everything is a yes or no question, says his annoying "ya-ya" and then gives me a wide fcking smile afterward. When i wait for a proper response, he looks at me with a confused look making me repeat it.

Today I asked a simple question which was not a yes or no question, I know I spoke loudly, slowly and clearly 'cause even the kindergarten teacher with an extremely low level of English understood and responded and guess what i got from him? an answer that had absolutely nothing to do with what i asked!

On top of that, he has no idea what personal space is. Whenever he has to say anything to me, he has to come right up to my face and say it softly. He does this a lot during class where he's at the other end of the class and I have to patiently wait for him to walk around just to ask me a stupid question.  I lean away hoping he'll get the hint and reply loud enough for him to hear so he doesn't need to move closer, but he only asks me to repeat myself and then moves closer. 

URG he frustrates me so much!!!

I'm surprised that your co-teacher is even allowed in school.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8366 on: June 06, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »
anyone notice how much koreans love getting ripped off?

MIL just spent 3,000,000won on an small, uncomfortable sofa and low-quality wardrobe. absolutely insane

shopping around for mattresses few years back, the average price was about 3m - and they were basically rock-hard

duvet sets are 200k in my local bedding store (and terrible quality). err, what?

even when shopping for a donovan-ajeossi thsirt for my FIL, they seemed to be 100k+. it's literally a polo shirt. who buys this shit?*

*apart from donovan's wife

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8367 on: June 06, 2018, 06:13:34 PM »

MIL just spent 3,000,000won on an small, uncomfortable sofa and low-quality wardrobe. absolutely insane

shopping around for mattresses few years back, the average price was about 3m - and they were basically rock-hard

duvet sets are 200k in my local bedding store (and terrible quality). err, what?

even when shopping for a donovan-ajeossi thsirt for my FIL, they seemed to be 100k+. it's literally a polo shirt. who buys this shit?*

Canadians brag about how little they paid for something; Koreans about how much they paid.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
« Reply #8368 on: June 06, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
I take issue with that, Oggie. My wife is a bargain shopper and definitely wouldn’t have bought that shirt if it wasn’t discounted to something more like 65k.

That said, my MIL and FIL must have spent at least a couple grand on their (literal) stone bed, and that’s after discount. Having broke the bank, MIL now prefers to sleep on the living room floor.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8369 on: June 06, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »
Haha I was only joking. What is with those stone beds, anyway? Is there some 'benefit' from using them? Can't imagine it's for the comfort

Offline donovan

• The Legend
« Reply #8370 on: June 06, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
Hate to play the apologist in the Ranting thread (Where’s Steel Rails when you need him?) but I believe it’s because they’re cool in the summer and warm in the winter (they have a heating system that radiates from below). Not sure if people actually find them comfortable, but I’m sure there’s probably an argument that it’s good for your back. Of course, as my MIL quickly found out, this is all equally true of the living room floor. I guess what my FIL got out of it was a bed to himself. :undecided:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:59:21 PM by donovan »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8371 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
Haha I was only joking. What is with those stone beds, anyway? Is there some 'benefit' from using them? Can't imagine it's for the comfort
They simulate a floor, but they can have heating (like a pizza oven or tandoori) or cooling built in.

Online Lazio

• Adventurer
« Reply #8372 on: June 06, 2018, 10:12:40 PM »
I don't think people just sleep on the rock itself. At least my parents in law have a 5-6cm thick latex thing on it. It's pretty okay to sleep on it that way.
But guess what, they turn on the heating function even in summer!  :shocked:

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #8373 on: June 06, 2018, 11:17:56 PM »
I don't think people just sleep on the rock itself. At least my parents in law have a 5-6cm thick latex thing on it. It's pretty okay to sleep on it that way.
But guess what, they turn on the heating function even in summer!  :shocked:

They will be sweating like crazy in the morning!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8374 on: June 07, 2018, 06:48:20 AM »

There seems to mark up, or apparent mark up here, that happens on loads of things.  My father-in-law bought me an ajeoshi sweater for my birthday with the tag still in it, needless to say, it was pricey.  Red wine as well, you'll find it priced as 150 000 won but reduced to 20 000 won, but when I checked online it was always 20 000 won.   :undecided: I would take a wild guess that Koreans don't know much about wine so will just think as it was 150 000 won, that it is the price that is more important, even if not a true price. 

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8375 on: June 07, 2018, 07:35:51 AM »

There seems to mark up, or apparent mark up here, that happens on loads of things.  My father-in-law bought me an ajeoshi sweater for my birthday with the tag still in it, needless to say, it was pricey.  Red wine as well, you'll find it priced as 150 000 won but reduced to 20 000 won, but when I checked online it was always 20 000 won.   :undecided: I would take a wild guess that Koreans don't know much about wine so will just think as it was 150 000 won, that it is the price that is more important, even if not a true price.

When my laptop died here, I was looking for a new one, both online and in stores. While I was in HomePlus I went to the electronics section just to see what they had. Even the simplest notebooks were no less than 1,000,000 won. It's completely absurd! I could get a high-end gaming laptop for that much back home
The World Ends With You

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8376 on: June 07, 2018, 07:49:39 AM »

Yeah. There's also the 'Korean brand is premium item' but 'foreign import brand also premium item' mindset. The consumer marketplace was super insular until very recently, and nobody ever really considered that the prices of Korean furniture and clothing were ridiculously inflated.

Then came IKEA and all the furniture companies flipped out and protested the big foreign devil for coming in and disrupting the market (despite IKEA Korea's prices still being higher than IKEA in most other markets).

Also, affluent older people (anywhere really) are notorious for not necessarily being savvy shoppers.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8377 on: June 07, 2018, 07:55:48 AM »

Yeah. There's also the 'Korean brand is premium item' but 'foreign import brand also premium item' mindset. The consumer marketplace was super insular until very recently, and nobody ever really considered that the prices of Korean furniture and clothing were ridiculously inflated.

Then came IKEA and all the furniture companies flipped out and protested the big foreign devil for coming in and disrupting the market (despite IKEA Korea's prices still being higher than IKEA in most other markets).

Also, affluent older people (anywhere really) are notorious for not necessarily being savvy shoppers.

Thing is, is that a Korean mindset or is it something the companies do because they can get away with it?  Which came first?

I will never understand how my wife will dead set on buying the latest dryer setting us back 1.6 million (when a cheaper model from last year is pretty much the same, and almost half the price), but will be super happy to get 4000 won off shopping at Lottemart.    :undecided: :undecided: :undecided:

Offline CypherSoul

• Waygookin
« Reply #8378 on: June 07, 2018, 08:19:14 AM »
Is it normal for Korean shops to not let you try on clothes? Some native teachers and I went to a Korean clothing store but weren't allowed to try on clothes even though there were 2 changing rooms there one of which was free.  :sad:

Is this a common occurrence? Has anyone faced something similar?

One of my friends obviously got very upset with this and rightly so! We went out of there and spent our money elsewhere!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #8379 on: June 07, 2018, 08:26:49 AM »
Is it normal for Korean shops to not let you try on clothes? Some native teachers and I went to a Korean clothing store but weren't allowed to try on clothes even though there were 2 changing rooms there one of which was free.  :sad:

Is this a common occurrence? Has anyone faced something similar?

One of my friends obviously got very upset with this and rightly so! We went out of there and spent our money elsewhere!

I've had this happen to me. I waited in line to try on some clothes and when I got to the front of the line a staffer ran over and shooed me away. This wasn't in a small town either, this was in the COEX mall.