November 13, 2018, 05:57:21 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1156751 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8360 on: June 28, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
a giant F you to any individual in the world that thinks a fan will do in this weather.

It.will.not.do.

>:(

I literally just bought a brand new 2,000,000 stand and wall aircon set for my apartment. They installed it. It worked for a few days. Then all the coolant must have leaked out or something, because now it just blows air. And now it's going to take like ten days for them to send someone to fix it. Miserable.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8361 on: June 28, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »
a giant F you to any individual in the world that thinks a fan will do in this weather.

It.will.not.do.

I literally just bought a brand new 2,000,000 stand and wall aircon set for my apartment. They installed it. It worked for a few days. Then all the coolant must have leaked out or something, because now it just blows air. And now it's going to take like ten days for them to send someone to fix it. Miserable.

10 days!!!
My sympathies, brother.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8362 on: June 28, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »

It.will.not.do.

10 days!!!
My sympathies, brother.

To be fair, last year I lived in a top-floor villa apartment with no aircon at all, and I survived with just a fan, even though it sucked. And this apartment is much cooler than that, so it's still been doable. It's just the humidity that gets me.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8363 on: June 28, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »

It.will.not.do.

Amen.

I taught at one school for a few months, years ago. The principal was incredibly cheap, he lorded the aircon on 24/7 in has office but refused to let anyone use it in for more than a few minutes in the classrooms. He had the "brilliant" idea of pouring water on the floor, in the classroom, so it would evaporate and "cool" the room.

Very few education/engineering double majors out there.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8364 on: June 28, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »

It.will.not.do.

Amen.

I taught at one school for a few months, years ago. The principal was incredibly cheap, he lorded the aircon on 24/7 in has office but refused to let anyone use it in for more than a few minutes in the classrooms. He had the "brilliant" idea of pouring water on the floor, in the classroom, so it would evaporate and "cool" the room.
yep. in my old school,  there was brand new samsung aircon units installed in every classroom. it was a big school, maybe 60 classrooms. naturally, the principal deemed these new units too expensive to run, so nobody was allowed to use them all summer, apart from himself in his office, of course. he would walk around the school and shout at any teachers who turned the aircon on, then stroll back to his lovely air-conditioned office

the previous principal would let teachers use the air con, but only in the afternoon when it was hotter (which was by the time all classes had finished, and students had gone home). made no sense
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:01:37 AM by oglop »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8365 on: June 28, 2018, 10:56:58 AM »

It.will.not.do.

10 days!!!
My sympathies, brother.

To be fair, last year I lived in a top-floor villa apartment with no aircon at all, and I survived with just a fan, even though it sucked. And this apartment is much cooler than that, so it's still been doable. It's just the humidity that gets me.

Me too, last summer I was in a 5th floor place with no aircon. Tbh it wasn't too bad because I could walk around with  with summer stuff on and during the hottest days we slept on the floor because it was cooler. Don't think I'd get away with that at work though  :laugh:

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8366 on: June 28, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »

It.will.not.do.

Amen.

yep. in my old school,  there was brand new samsung aircon units installed in every classroom. it was a big school, maybe 60 classrooms. naturally, the principal deemed these new units too expensive to run, so nobody was allowed to use them all summer, apart from himself in his office, of course. he would walk around the school and shout at any teachers who turned the aircon on, then stroll back to his lovely air-conditioned office

the previous principal would let teachers use the air con, but only in the afternoon when it was hotter (which was by the time all classes had finished, and students had gone home). made no sense

Please understand the Principal's unique position. He needs to budget for his outings to Noraebangs and drinking overpriced whisky.

donovan

« Reply #8367 on: June 28, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
He had the "brilliant" idea of pouring water on the floor, in the classroom, so it would evaporate and "cool" the room.

Putting ice water behind a fan might help a bit. Water on the floor? I imagine it would just make the room more humid (and possibly damage the floor).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice to know it's not just classrooms that experience regular "eh-aw cone" outages.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #8368 on: June 28, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »
You were? I was awoken to the sound of cheering, shouting, singing, and soju bottles being smashed in the street. "Oh, God, I hope Korea doesn't advance; I want peaceful sleep going forward," I thought to myself.

Even though Korea won their final Group Stage match against Germany, they will not advance to the knockout stages.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8369 on: June 28, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
I set the air con in the office to dehumidify this morning. Coupled with a fan, it's the best way to cool down on a humid day and doesn't cost a lot of money to run.

Get back from lunch, and somebody has turned off the A/C, which was only acting as a dehumidifier, and opened the windows to let all the moist air back in. How can teachers be so stupid?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8370 on: June 28, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
It's been decided that, from next semester, I have to run an 'afterschool, but before 5pm, English drama club'.
I get given famous English stories and have to convert them into colloquial style English; and I can't just get a version from the internet either, that is already converted into a play.
They want me to go through the version they give me and do that. It's not allowed to deviate slightly. >.<
The students will be putting on a play for their parents / teachers or something.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8371 on: June 28, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »
It's been decided that, from next semester, I have to run an 'afterschool, but before 5pm, English drama club'.
I get given famous English stories and have to convert them into colloquial style English; and I can't just get a version from the internet either, that is already converted into a play.
They want me to go through the version they give me and do that. It's not allowed to deviate slightly. >.<
The students will be putting on a play for their parents / teachers or something.

Tell them that's ridiculous.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #8372 on: June 28, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
I set the air con in the office to dehumidify this morning. Coupled with a fan, it's the best way to cool down on a humid day and doesn't cost a lot of money to run.

Get back from lunch, and somebody has turned off the A/C, which was only acting as a dehumidifier, and opened the windows to let all the moist air back in. How can teachers be so stupid?

You are fighting a losing battle. You can buy a hygrometer (measures relative humidity) on Aliexpress or gmarket and show them the the changes. If any of the teachers have ever traveled to a hot+dry place you can use that. Because heat and humidity always go together in Korea, I doubt that you will have much success.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8373 on: June 28, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »

You are fighting a losing battle. You can buy a hygrometer (measures relative humidity) on Aliexpress or gmarket and show them the the changes. If any of the teachers have ever traveled to a hot+dry place you can use that. Because heat and humidity always go together in Korea, I doubt that you will have much success.

Yeah, can't fight stupid here.

Stupid aka everyone does it that way so it must be correct.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #8374 on: June 28, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »

Yeah I live in fear of being asked to do something like this.  Hopefully it's one of those things they just forget about.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8375 on: June 28, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »

I asked them what was wrong with a different version. and I just got. "Because it's not my version."
Turning this into a play is super tedious >.<

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8376 on: June 28, 2018, 01:28:41 PM »

Yeah I live in fear of being asked to do something like this.  Hopefully it's one of those things they just forget about.

Yeah, It was meant to start at the beginning of this semester, but my school offers so many after school classes / clubs, that they literally couldn't fit it in. I don't know what is changing / has changed, but my boss came to me today, slapped a photocopied version of his book and said to turn it into a play, and make it in modern English.
He asked me earlier in the semester to do this, and said I could use any version. I found one online that is already in play format, modern English, and would be a bit different. I was hoping it was forgotten about, but then today. Nope. You have to do it again using my version. It needs to be done before summer vacation as well. I still have to plan / prepare for the summer camp too >.<

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8377 on: June 28, 2018, 01:55:24 PM »

Yeah, It was meant to start at the beginning of this semester, but my school offers so many after school classes / clubs, that they literally couldn't fit it in. I don't know what is changing / has changed, but my boss came to me today, slapped a photocopied version of his book and said to turn it into a play, and make it in modern English.
He asked me earlier in the semester to do this, and said I could use any version. I found one online that is already in play format, modern English, and would be a bit different. I was hoping it was forgotten about, but then today. Nope. You have to do it again using my version. It needs to be done before summer vacation as well. I still have to plan / prepare for the summer camp too >.<

Do not accept ridiculous requests. I'd agree to teach the kids a play, but I wouldn't write my own just for a kids' performance. That is an unreasonable expectation.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8378 on: June 28, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »

Pick one.

WTF
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

donovan

« Reply #8379 on: June 28, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »

Internet aside, there are plenty of books that you can find at any Korean bookstore that do precisely what you're being asked to do (for young learners anyway), along with a CD and accompanying activities (http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?ejkGb=KOR&mallGb=KOR&barcode=9791155096727&orderClick=LAG&Kc=). I suggest that you stop asking for clarification and just teach it the way you feel is best.

I was asked to teach a 'culture' class this year with 5th grade once a week in addition to the regular curriculum class that I have. I was given no further instruction. I asked for no further instruction. I just teach two curriculum classes.  All izz well.

EDIT: Sounds like from your subsequent post they already have something picked out for you. Sorry dude~
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:19:53 PM by donovan »