July 16, 2018, 10:28:33 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1035820 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8320 on: June 04, 2018, 09:25:41 AM »
AvecPommesFrites,

You have been issued a formal warning for trolling. Please review the terms and conditions of Waygook.org http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2425.0.html and cease trolling otherwise we will take further action.

Cute thread. I assume you are trying to get banned? At your current rate, it shouldn't take long.

Quote from: AvecPommesFrites on May 16, 2018, 11:36:31 AM
Bored again, here's a thread of my thoughts on waygook users using Kim Jong Eun expressions:

Regards,
The Waygook.org Team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the definition of current rate? Because I feel like 7 months since my last warning doesn't fall under current rate in the English language.

Warning history:

Time    Reason   Points
May 17, 2018, 12:02:33 PM   Starting a thread to troll specific users.   +80
October 16, 2017, 09:12:35 PM   trolling.. again..   +8
October 11, 2017, 08:22:36 AM   multiple instances of flaming, trolling, etc.   +65
September 20, 2017, 02:29:41 PM   created a thread to mock a user   +30

That was a great thread too.

Cheers. I didn't even say anything. But someone has to do the time I suppose.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8321 on: June 04, 2018, 09:26:14 AM »
^ i recently got banned for ages for posting a picture of some ham. seemed a bit harsh

Lmao. I love this site.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8322 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:50 AM »
i have the xioami one and it seems fine. the auto sensor seems to work ok- if i'm cooking steak and it gets a bit smoky, it'll kick into overdrive and go crazy for a few minutes. same if i leave the windows open and the air is bad outside. its also dead quiet usually

I have the Mi2S and agree with the cooking part. Any smoke or steam and the numbers kick in to the hundreds.

Did you download their app?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8323 on: June 04, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »
i have the xioami one and it seems fine. the auto sensor seems to work ok- if i'm cooking steak and it gets a bit smoky, it'll kick into overdrive and go crazy for a few minutes. same if i leave the windows open and the air is bad outside. its also dead quiet usually

Oo cheers. I'll check it out then :D
http://www.coupang.com/vp/products/21398019?itemId=83606346&vendorItemId=3122986071&q=xiaomi&itemsCount=36&searchId=2d846a47301d400d958380ee198dbeb2&rank=2

i got this one, and ordered it from here too

Oo, thanks a lot for the link! I might just save me some hassle and order that one, though I might have a look at some others first. After lunch, I always have too much free time on my hands haha.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8324 on: June 04, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »

I have the Mi2S and agree with the cooking part. Any smoke or steam and the numbers kick in to the hundreds.

Did you download their app?
yeah but i never use it. i just leave the machine on 24/7. it uses such a small amount of energy anyway.

Oo cheers. I'll check it out then :D
http://www.coupang.com/vp/products/21398019?itemId=83606346&vendorItemId=3122986071&q=xiaomi&itemsCount=36&searchId=2d846a47301d400d958380ee198dbeb2&rank=2

i got this one, and ordered it from here too

Oo, thanks a lot for the link! I might just save me some hassle and order that one, though I might have a look at some others first. After lunch, I always have too much free time on my hands haha.
i only bought this one because it's cheap, and i live in a fairly small place. some of them cost 700,000won+. i can't imagine them doing much more than my xiaomi machine, to justify the price, though..?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:40:39 AM by oglop »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8325 on: June 04, 2018, 09:54:53 AM »

I think a lot of the criticism around the wonky sensors is that they either don't adequately sense or they don't properly read for pm2.5 unless it's ridiculously high. Doesn't have any problems with pm10 (dust, smoke, etc.). Xiaomi has even recalled a bunch of its purifiers because of this problem, but, as far as I know, it's still an ongoing problem that's hit/miss, depending on the model. People get around it by manually setting their purifiers on medium or high instead of using the auto option because it's not all that loud on those settings anyway.

For what it's worth, I plan to order an extra Xiaomi for my classroom in a couple more weeks because I don't think the purifier I have in there is adequate (it's a unit meant for a smaller space, and my classroom is rather large). The reviews for Xiaomi are still good, despite the inconsistent sensor issues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:58:04 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8326 on: June 04, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
Yeah, I have a medium sized place I think (I'm not actually sure of the size). I think the one you linked would probably be fine, it looks like it covers 39m2, and I don't think my place exceeds that. However, at the least, it will cover the rooms that I regularly use in my place.
Yeah, I don't really want to spend 700k won on a purifier, but 100k - 200k, would probably be fine.

My guess is that the extra cost would be better sensors, or extra functions, or something like that.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8327 on: June 04, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »
Yeah, I have a medium sized place I think (I'm not actually sure of the size). I think the one you linked would probably be fine, it looks like it covers 39m2, and I don't think my place exceeds that. However, at the least, it will cover the rooms that I regularly use in my place.
Yeah, I don't really want to spend 700k won on a purifier, but 100k - 200k, would probably be fine.

My guess is that the extra cost would be better sensors, or extra functions, or something like that.

I think the sensor is from Sharp who make good purifiers themselves. I think the problem lies with the mass manufacturing and probably their Quality Control.

Still, best on the market at that price.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8328 on: June 04, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »
i only bought this one because it's cheap, and i live in a fairly small place. some of them cost 700,000won+. i can't imagine them doing much more than my xiaomi machine, to justify the price, though..?

Yeah, a lot of that extra cost comes down to extra features, style and design, efficiency, and how big of a place they're meant to filter. The more expensive they are, the quieter they are on higher settings, too. For some people, that's super important. Blue Air is basically silent even when on high settings, for example.

But a lot of the times it just comes down to marketing, too. A lot of companies know that a lot of people think more expensive = better, even though that's not always the case, but lots of people fall for the gimmick anyway. Whatever the case may be, though, the more expensive ones will almost always be more stylish and on the quieter side.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8329 on: June 04, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »

I've got two Xiaomi purifiers - it ended up being cheaper to get two of them than one expensive Korean branded one. And they work great. The app is pretty... not great? But it's okay once you get it working. And they are suuuuuuper super quiet when they're not in turbo mode. It's nice being able to keep one in your bedroom and one in your main area.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8330 on: June 04, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »

I've got two Xiaomi purifiers - it ended up being cheaper to get two of them than one expensive Korean branded one. And they work great. The app is pretty... not great? But it's okay once you get it working. And they are suuuuuuper super quiet when they're not in turbo mode. It's nice being able to keep one in your bedroom and one in your main area.

My bedroom is pretty much my main area haha. My apartment has 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a lounge. However, the room I'm using as my bedroom, is essentially the biggest in the house. The lounge / main room that joins all these rooms, is a bit smaller. One of the bedrooms, I'm using as a guest room (have had a couple friends come and stay) - so I rarely use this room. The other, I use for drying laundry, as I have nowhere else to dry it haha. I think one of them will be fine to hit the places I use frequently.

Nice! What makes the app not so great?

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8331 on: June 04, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »

My bedroom is pretty much my main area haha. My apartment has 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a lounge. However, the room I'm using as my bedroom, is essentially the biggest in the house. The lounge / main room that joins all these rooms, is a bit smaller. One of the bedrooms, I'm using as a guest room (have had a couple friends come and stay) - so I rarely use this room. The other, I use for drying laundry, as I have nowhere else to dry it haha. I think one of them will be fine to hit the places I use frequently.

Actually, I couldn't get it to work. But my significant other was able to do it, so now they control all of the purifiers.

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8332 on: June 04, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »

Actually, I couldn't get it to work. But my significant other was able to do it, so now they control all of the purifiers.

Serious question. Why do homosexuals always say "significant other" or "partner" instead of boyfriend/girlfriend? The vast majority of (western) people do not care and are not going to be shocked.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8333 on: June 04, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »

Ahh damn. :o Hopefully, I won't have any issues with the app. :p

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8334 on: June 04, 2018, 01:13:13 PM »

Serious question. Why do homosexuals always say "significant other" or "partner" instead of boyfriend/girlfriend? The vast majority of (western) people do not care and are not going to be shocked.

I know straight people that use both instead of boyfriend / girlfriend. I know gay / lesbian people that say boyfriend / girlfriend.
As for why people use the former. Not sure. Maybe they see it as more affectionate than boyfriend / girlfriend?

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8335 on: June 04, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »

This is just how I see it, but boyfriend/girlfriend just makes it sound like you're still in the dating phase, regardless of sexuality. If you're married or living together, I'd much rather refer to them as my wife/partner/SO because it defines the relationship better.
The World Ends With You

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8336 on: June 04, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »

This is just how I see it, but boyfriend/girlfriend just makes it sound like you're still in the dating phase, regardless of sexuality. If you're married or living together, I'd much rather refer to them as my wife/partner/SO because it defines the relationship better.

Before we were married, my wife used to say "partner"; people assumed that I was female as well.

:)

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #8337 on: June 04, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »

I'm straight, and I say SO or partner instead of boy/girlfriend. I use it mainly because I also try to downplay my own gender on online forums like this (as little identifying info as possible and all that). While I've clearly stated my gender sometimes, I still downplay unless I'm making a comment specifically related to gender. But I also use it to indicate that we are past the "dating" stage and are more serious than that, whether or not we're married.

Usually, LGBT people say SO or partner because it generally sounds more serious than boyfriend/girlfriend. In the past, when LGBT couples couldn't legally get married in the US, but were more than boyfriend/girlfriend (i.e. they would get married if they could legally), the title indicated the seriousness of the relationship. Or sometimes they don't want to "out" themselves to random strangers who might not be exactly supportive of their relationship.

A friend refers to her girlfriend as her "significant other" at family reunions because her older extended family is very vocally anti-LGBT. Her immediate family is supportive and knows her girlfriend. But rather than start family feuds and deal with potential verbal abuse or otherwise snide and backhanded remarks from her older relatives, she chooses to leave the gender of her, well, significant other, vague.

Generally, most western people won't be shocked or really care, this is true. Except when you live in staunchly conservative areas like the Midwest and the South. You can get some pretty nasty crap there. I clearly remember an instance when I saw a dear friend I hadn't seen in a while, and we hugged. Some random lady walking past us made a comment about how homosexuals shouldn't do PDA because there were kids around. Because two same-sex friends hugged each other in public.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8338 on: June 04, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
http://www.coupang.com/vp/products/65077237?itemId=219906344&vendorItemId=3531184690&q=winix+hkd&itemsCount=36&searchId=be8d3374b5944557897310f2f559d44c&rank=0

I bought this one ( and a second for my inlaws for when my daughter is there).  It is designed for microdust.  What is more, it has a charcoal filter for smells, and both are washable, so you don't need to replace the filters and spend a small fortune once or twice a year.  It is the upgrade to the 5500-2 model, and that was recommended online in a few reviews as the best purifier for samll areas.  No app witg it, but the "plasmawave" means that the technology it uses emits no ozone or other harmfull stuff.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8339 on: June 04, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
http://www.coupang.com/vp/products/65077237?itemId=219906344&vendorItemId=3531184690&q=winix+hkd&itemsCount=36&searchId=be8d3374b5944557897310f2f559d44c&rank=0

I bought this one ( and a second for my inlaws for when my daughter is there).  It is designed for microdust.  What is more, it has a charcoal filter for smells, and both are washable, so you don't need to replace the filters and spend a small fortune once or twice a year.  It is the upgrade to the 5500-2 model, and that was recommended online in a few reviews as the best purifier for samll areas.  No app witg it, but the "plasmawave" means that the technology it uses emits no ozone or other harmfull stuff.

Winix is good. I have one of their dehumidifiers and it's wonderful. But the 'plasmawave' thing is just goofy marketing nonsense. But their products are really good quality.