September 22, 2018, 01:33:01 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1095550 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8180 on: May 15, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »
Yeah, says the guy with well over 4000 posts on here.  Your time is precious.
This is more fun and unpredictable than some dumb action movie where the good guys are obviously going to win and filled with such great dialogue as "Get Down!!!" or "GO GO GO, IT'S GONNA BLOW!!!" It blows alright. It blows big time. Gee, I was really in suspense that those faceless bad guys were actually going to hit their target. :rolleyes:

That must be annoying to the complete strangers to the immediate sides of you.

Usually I'm with a group of friends when I've caught a bad movie. I'm no movie snob and love a good dumb action movie, but it's can't be stupid. Like I said, it's not a running banter routine. It's 20 seconds of me saying I'm out and everyone deciding if they're going to stick or not. Either that or something is just so grating it deserves a razzing.

Who are you talking to here?  Who mentioned any behaviour of the sort?

Separate point relating to crowd experiences. It's not a retort to anything. Calm down.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8181 on: May 15, 2018, 12:44:47 PM »
Or the classic, " I didn't sign up for this!"
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8182 on: May 15, 2018, 03:56:14 PM »
To me, that's like apples and oranges. Concerts are loud, the crowd should be loud too; but with movies, the watchers should be quiet and not so distracting.

I don't mean the loud part, it's about going and experiencing something new together with like minded people. I could make some Gyros at home, but it's more fun to go to a festival in Greektown and walk around and have a communal experience. Of course one is loud and the other is passively watching, haha.

I do somewhat miss movie-going in America. Laughing all together because everyone gets the jokes. Or better yet, cheering during certain awesome moments in movies. It feels a bit lonely when everyone doesn't get the same references or jokes that are made, and you're the only one laughing or being amazed.

I'd figuratively punch someone for cheering at a movie.
I get laughing because something is funny, but cheering?! to me that's just as bad as talking during a movie; but to each their own.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8183 on: May 15, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »
To me, that's like apples and oranges. Concerts are loud, the crowd should be loud too; but with movies, the watchers should be quiet and not so distracting.

I don't mean the loud part, it's about going and experiencing something new together with like minded people. I could make some Gyros at home, but it's more fun to go to a festival in Greektown and walk around and have a communal experience. Of course one is loud and the other is passively watching, haha.

I do somewhat miss movie-going in America. Laughing all together because everyone gets the jokes. Or better yet, cheering during certain awesome moments in movies. It feels a bit lonely when everyone doesn't get the same references or jokes that are made, and you're the only one laughing or being amazed.

I get laughing because something is funny, but cheering?! to me that's just as bad as talking during a movie; but to each their own.

Agreed. It's not a football game. The actors cannot hear you.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8184 on: May 15, 2018, 04:05:51 PM »

Yup to this. What are you cheering? For action movies it's stupid. I do get it if it's some cult classic film where the entire audience are fans and it's not really about the movie, but that's not normal. I do think there might have been a couple comedies where shit was just so hilarious that people lost it and were clapping, but I wouldn't really consider that "cheering".

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8185 on: May 16, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »

I'm more referring to moments in movies, let's say a new Marvel movie or some big franchise, where a character makes a dramatic reveal or does something that nobody was expecting and for that brief moment there is pure excitement among the fans in the theater. I.e. When Ant-Man he first showed up in Civil War. My theater applauded, and it was a genuine moment of excitement for everyone. I personally like those moments, as long as they aren't an overreaction to whatever's going on. (It was a bit painful watching the 2014 Godzilla, where people were cheering for literally everything that Godzilla did).
The World Ends With You

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8186 on: May 16, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »

I'm more referring to moments in movies, let's say a new Marvel movie or some big franchise, where a character makes a dramatic reveal or does something that nobody was expecting and for that brief moment there is pure excitement among the fans in the theater. I.e. When Ant-Man he first showed up in Civil War. My theater applauded, and it was a genuine moment of excitement for everyone. I personally like those moments, as long as they aren't an overreaction to whatever's going on. (It was a bit painful watching the 2014 Godzilla, where people were cheering for literally everything that Godzilla did).

I understand what you mean.

I still think it is stupid.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8187 on: May 16, 2018, 08:54:45 AM »
The best time to tell me  my 11:35 class has been moved to 8:50?

8:55, apparently.

I really should be used to this sh!t by now.  :laugh:

:cry:

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8188 on: May 16, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »

Lmao.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8189 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »

Don't know if we'll ever get used to it  :laugh:
The World Ends With You

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8190 on: May 16, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »

Don't know if we'll ever get used to it  :laugh:

Whenever someone tells you something like this, ask 2 questions:

Who told you this?and When did they tell you?  If the answer to the second question is anything other than: A few minutes ago.  Ask a third question: Why are you only telling me now?

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8191 on: May 16, 2018, 11:53:35 AM »
Apparently testing for the fire drill includes blaring k-pop over the office intercoms. Guess it's time to put my earbuds in and blast Pig Destroyer until my ears hurt or the k-pop stops, whichever comes first.

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #8192 on: May 16, 2018, 03:25:11 PM »
Dude my school actually makes me sad when I walk to class. It's so poorly taken care of. Floor tiles missing or loose on the stairs, chunks of plaster gone from the walls, dust and dirt everywhere, graffiti all over the place, filthy windows... It's just crappy looking and I don't understand why. How is it this badly managed? How does anyone have any morale left when you're tripping over ripped tiles going down 4 flights of stairs. How can the toilets be BLACK inside because they haven't been cleaned? How has the bathroom sink been backed up with scummy water for days at a time? How?? Why??

The longer I'm in the building the more it starts to depress me. As soon as I leave I feel immensely better. I'm just so embarrassed that it's acceptable for a big city school to be in this condition.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8193 on: May 18, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
Hoorah to be moderated but the derailer-in-chief is allowed to spout nonsense across several threads.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8194 on: May 22, 2018, 06:24:48 PM »
Socks: Why do socks marked 250-280 not fit my 270 feet!!!!

donovan

« Reply #8195 on: May 22, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »

I blame Bangladesh~

Hoorah to be moderated but the derailer-in-chief is allowed to spout nonsense across several threads.

Canít alienate your main attraction. He might just migrate back to Daveís and take all the traffic with him. Things are rough enough as it is with Pecan AWOL.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:39:41 PM by donovan »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8196 on: May 23, 2018, 06:17:42 AM »

I blame Bangladesh~

Nope.
Made in Korea.

donovan

« Reply #8197 on: May 23, 2018, 07:04:17 AM »

I blame Bangladesh~

Nope.

Made in Korea.

Well you can't very well blame Korea. There must be some explanation.

I know I have trouble finding a good fit of running shoe as I have narrow feet and apparently all (ALL!) Asians have wide feet, making it hard to find narrow sizes. I'm guessing your problem isn't that they're too roomy but rather to small.

I also have trouble with 'ankle' socks that constantly shimmy down to about mid-arch, but I think that might be a (repeated) case of mistaking my wive's (sp?) socks for my own.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8198 on: May 23, 2018, 07:41:39 AM »

I blame Bangladesh~

Nope.

Made in Korea.

I know I have trouble finding a good fit of running shoe as I have narrow feet and apparently all (ALL!) Asians have wide feet, making it hard to find narrow sizes. I'm guessing your problem isn't that they're too roomy but rather to small.

I also have trouble with 'ankle' socks that constantly shimmy down to about mid-arch, but I think that might be a (repeated) case of mistaking my wive's (sp?) socks for my own.

Where are you shopping?  I have wide feet, and most of the shoes I try here are too narrow.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8199 on: May 23, 2018, 07:46:16 AM »

I blame Bangladesh~

Nope.

Made in Korea.

Where are you shopping?  I have wide feet, and most of the shoes I try here are too narrow.
I have wide feet, so I look for "Made in Germany/UK/India" some Korean shoes are OK, but it is hit-and-miss.