August 20, 2018, 10:14:28 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1060226 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8080 on: May 02, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »
Wait, how do you pronunciation snobs pronounce it? I don't think I've ever heard a non-American say it out loud, so I didn't know there was a difference.

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?
  :laugh:

God no...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/troll?q=trolling

The difference in pronunciation in those examples is honestly subtle enough that I probably wouldn't have even registered it as different if I heard it in casual conversation. Is the difference in real life more pronounced than in those recordings? They certainly don't sound drastic enough that I'd liken it to nails on a chalkboard or think it "does my head in," but I guess everyone has to be passionate about something.

Calm down Mr. Tim, it was clearly meant in jest. (From my side, don't know about Avec)

I also didn't say this pronunciation specifically,

Just that sometimes the American pronunciation of a words feels like nails on a chalkboard. One specific  example would be "Schedule".

I just prefer British pronunciation, it isn't a personal attack on you or your country.  ;D

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #8081 on: May 02, 2018, 04:04:59 PM »
Additions:

Grey's humdrum one liners
signatures that take up half the page
apologist
gyopo
posters that don't even live in Korea posting on here everyday jog on and join your local community centre instead

Im flattered by your projection. I guess I should be happy I have an Internet Tough Guy fan.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.
-AP

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8082 on: May 02, 2018, 04:15:33 PM »
Wait, how do you pronunciation snobs pronounce it? I don't think I've ever heard a non-American say it out loud, so I didn't know there was a difference.

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

God no...

The difference in pronunciation in those examples is honestly subtle enough that I probably wouldn't have even registered it as different if I heard it in casual conversation. Is the difference in real life more pronounced than in those recordings? They certainly don't sound drastic enough that I'd liken it to nails on a chalkboard or think it "does my head in," but I guess everyone has to be passionate about something.

Calm down Mr. Tim, it was clearly meant in jest. (From my side, don't know about Avec)

Just that sometimes the American pronunciation of a words feels like nails on a chalkboard. One specific  example would be "Schedule".

I just prefer British pronunciation, it isn't a personal attack on you or your country.  ;D

Do we still have any aircraft carriers? I'm surprised.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8083 on: May 02, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »

In America, even the aircraft carriers are fat.  :wink:

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8084 on: May 02, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »
What to Brits say about your eating habits? I've never heard that one. 

:blank:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8085 on: May 02, 2018, 05:05:40 PM »

:blank:

MR.DEMARTINO STARTED IT!!!! >:(

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8086 on: May 03, 2018, 07:40:50 AM »
Fun fact, that was my nickname at my former school because apparently my "smile was full of energy." Though it took an explanation for me to realize what they were calling me because the pronunciation was different.   :laugh: 

Love the pokemon analogy.  I am fonder of cabbage's evolved forms than of cabbage itself.

I like it, you can catch everyone off-guard and rip them apart with your smile energy.

And same, I actually really hate cabbage. Like, I know it's actually good for you, but you can't make me eat it. I love broccoli and cauliflower, though, so I think that's a fair compromise.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #8087 on: May 03, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
Love the pokemon analogy.  I am fonder of cabbage's evolved forms than of cabbage itself.

And same, I actually really hate cabbage. Like, I know it's actually good for you, but you can't make me eat it. I love broccoli and cauliflower, though, so I think that's a fair compromise.

We can content ourselves eating the children of cabbage :)

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8088 on: May 03, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
Bloody trolls. Sick of them.

Yeah, they should go back to harrassing people who are trying to walk across bridges, and go back to living under said bridges too!
I'm joking. This is 2018, and discriminating against another race isn't politically correct now.

But on a serious note, I hate fighting against trolls as they often have a crazy high HP regeneration stat!

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8089 on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

God no...

Sorry. It's become one of my pet peeves over the years, I suppose, so I probably read too much in to it sometimes. Condescension from Brits, that is. Whether it's about American English, still using the Imperial measuring system, or our... uh... eating habits, I've just grown tired of people looking down their noses at us. Tired enough that even when it's done in jest, I let it get to me, apparently.

I actually used to really want to visit the UK again (I lived in Scotland when I was very young, my earliest memories are there), but then the internet came along and exposed me to all the things they think and have to say about us, and I'm just about cured of that desire.  :laugh:

It could be that they were trying to be funny. We can be awkward to resort to "banter" which sometimes comes across a lot worse than we intend.

I don't think many Brits truly care about pronunciation differences or word differences, apart from a few... :laugh:
You're one of the biggest countries in the world and so you're a pretty easy target.   ;D

Talking of built up resentment though...I do hate it when I have a school/teacher force the American pronunciations on me (I haven't had this for years thankfully but I know many British teachers do) and the students. I understand that is the language used here, however I don't feel that the kids should be told that the American way is the only *correct* way.
 If it is, why do they hire from different countries?   >:(
I think it's important to let them know there are many ways and I try my best to show them both American / British sounds where i can.

In my 1st year in Korea, my co-teacher from my 2nd travel school, apparently fought really hard to get me to teach at her school instead of another school, and she wanted me to teach there BECAUSE I'm not American, and don't speak in an American way. She said, it would be better for the students, to get used to different English accents.

Since I grew up with the British-English system, I tend to use it in my classes too. My students will often say: Teacher, you spelt 'blahblahblah' wrong. That's when I usually write the 2 words on the board, and show NZ/Aus/UK vs USA.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8090 on: May 03, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »
i've heard anecdotes from various adult student i've taught, who say they grow up learning nothing but american english in korea. however, when they go abroad for work, business meetings, conferences, etc, they don't understand what other people are saying to them, as they usually end up going to other asian countries, talking to people from singapore, HK, india, (even australia, the UK) etc

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #8091 on: May 03, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »
Teacher who has been "studying" English for ten years and can barely make a sentence getting frustrated with me because after 2 months I'm not conversational at Korean.

Ok lol.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8092 on: May 03, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Teacher who has been "studying" English for ten years and can barely make a sentence getting frustrated with me because after 2 months I'm not conversational at Korean.

Ok lol.

You should see the "Korean friends who change" thread if you want more on this subject  :laugh:
The World Ends With You

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #8093 on: May 03, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »
i've heard anecdotes from various adult student i've taught, who say they grow up learning nothing but american english in korea. however, when they go abroad for work, business meetings, conferences, etc, they don't understand what other people are saying to them, as they usually end up going to other asian countries, talking to people from singapore, HK, india, (even australia, the UK) etc

A couple of weeks ago, was a tad annoyed for the national listening tests because they ditched the British English speaking person.  I usually pay attention to the speakers and there was always a good proportion of American/British speaking the past few years, but this year, not a single t wat in sight.   :rolleyes: 

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8094 on: May 04, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
Every Wednesday and Friday afternoon I endure the worst kind of torture. The 2 English rooms are separated by a sliding door, my desk is at the back of the 1st English room and I can hear everything in the 2nd English room, which the Korean afterschool English teacher uses to teach "Englishee".

She focuses on phonics, or rather "퍼닠스". I'm quite literally listening to my students unlearn the correct pronunciation I drill them with as she reinforces the linguistic marvels of hardcore Konglish.

"How do you spell 'fox' 'epuu' 'or' 'exsue', bery good."
"It'su Pridayee"

She isn't restricted to terrible pronunciation, but rote memorization to the point that students don't think of English
as a means of communication, but rather as a set of sentences each with a particular response.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8095 on: May 09, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
Lunch was bad, and something gave me indigestion. Same thing for a couple of other students, but they're calling it ate-too-much-itis.

Not sure if this is their name for anything that gives them indigestion or food poisoning, but I hear it a lot around here.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8096 on: May 09, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
Lunch was bad, and something gave me indigestion. Same thing for a couple of other students, but they're calling it ate-too-much-itis.

Not sure if this is their name for anything that gives them indigestion or food poisoning, but I hear it a lot around here.

Konglish "overeat" means to be sick to one's stomach; often as a result of alcohol.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8097 on: May 09, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »

Konglish "overeat" means to be sick to one's stomach; often as a result of alcohol.

Makes sense. Anytime a student has a stomachache or isn't feeling well, and I ask if they're sick or something, I always get the "maybe (s)he overate earlier" as an explanation.

And I'm all like, are you sure? Because you'd think obesity rate here would be worse than, say, in the U.S. right now if people were really overeating to the point of illness as often as I'm given that as an excuse for stomach problems.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:03:58 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #8098 on: May 09, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
Today one of my 4th graders asked me if I was pregnant. Guess it's time to hit the gym again.

Online ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #8099 on: May 09, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »
When people from Europe think they're accent is better than American English.  :rolleyes:

'Merica.  8)