September 25, 2018, 12:02:42 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1097525 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8020 on: May 02, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »
Female. I think that made it worse

Yeah, I kind of figured. xD They either buy into the stereotype, too, or are at least aware of it, and that can/does affect their judgment and critical thinking perspectives in given situations. But they're also usually a lot more naive about how bad the cheating is here, too.

I don't think it ever occurred to your coworker that the kind of person who would cheat on his/her foreign partner would also be the same kind of person to cheat on his/her Korean partner, and that there's no misunderstanding there. It's the same across the board. If she honestly believes that your nationality/ethnicity had any part in your ex's decision and actions then maybe she has a lot of things she needs to work through about how people in general work.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:27:34 AM by Chinguetti »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8021 on: May 02, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
they try to rub their shoulders against my breasts or their crotches against my shoulder (if I'm sitting). GOD

Ew. Gross.

And it's only going to get worse as they get older and become adults out in the world.

Or it could be that, as what usually happens in societies, people become more responsible and better behaved the older they get.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8022 on: May 02, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
Or it could be that, as what usually happens in societies, people become more responsible and better behaved the older they get.
No, you're a poopoo face. I'm telling mom.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8023 on: May 02, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »

Most teenagers who rub their crotches against women (or anyone, for that matter) aren't doing it because of a lack of maturity, same as for teenagers who end up torturing animals or who get involved in gang life. They're doing it because they have severe personality and social problems which are often rooted in other problematic influences (such as home life) completely unrelated to their maturity levels. The only thing their maturity levels have in that fight is in impulse control and in how susceptible they are to outside influences that could end up leading them down that road in the first place, but once that trait has been established in their personalities, it's normally there to stay. So they don't just grow out of it. They just better learn how to hide it, and to become quite a bit more calculating about it.

There's no excusing this as a lack of maturity as this is not considered a normal process in development. Most people, male or female, would never ever think to do something like this, even when they're young and immature. It's actually legally and medically recognized as a deviation from normal development, and is classified as dysfunctional behavior. Some people are just worse than others. People who sexually harass as adults started out sexually harassing people as teenagers first. That's where they started testing it.

To illustrate, most of the gross behavior I experience in this country are from full-grown men. I know they didn't suddenly become that way as adults. It started when they were young. They were basically the kids I was describing in my previous posts.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:04:59 AM by Chinguetti »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8024 on: May 02, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »

Most teenagers who rub their crotches against women (or anyone, for that matter) aren't doing it because of a lack of maturity, same as for teenagers who end up torturing animals or who get involved in gang life. They're doing it because they have severe personality and social problems which are often rooted in other problematic influences (such as home life) completely unrelated to their maturity levels. The only thing their maturity levels have in that fight is in impulse control and in how susceptible they are to outside influences that could end up leading them down that road in the first place, but once that trait has been established in their personalities, it's normally there to stay. So they don't just grow out of it. They just better learn how to hide it, and to become quite a bit more calculating about it.

There's no excusing this as a lack of maturity as this is not considered a normal process in development. Most people, male or female, would never ever think to do something like this, even when they're young and immature. It's actually legally and medically recognized as a deviation from normal development, and is classified as dysfunctional behavior. Some people are just worse than others. People who sexually harass as adults started out sexually harassing people as teenagers first. That's where they started testing it.

To illustrate, most of the gross behavior I experience in this country are from full-grown men. I know they didn't suddenly become that way as adults. It started when they were young. They were basically the kids I was describing in my previous posts.

My two year old likes whipping his penis out in public occasionally, so I guess that's him f--cked for life  :smiley:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8025 on: May 02, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »
My two year old likes whipping his penis out in public occasionally, so I guess that's him f--cked for life  :smiley:

Your two-year-old is ****** two, and he's not doing it for sexual gratification. I can guaran-******-tee you that if your two-year-old started furtively rubbing his erect penis against a woman in a sexual manner while giving her lurid glances that child services would be pretty ****** quick to take your kid away from you.

False equivalency, and obnoxious as shit. Quit trying to excuse predatory behavior from people old enough to know better. There are literally decades of professionals who have established this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:39:45 AM by Chinguetti »

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8026 on: May 02, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »
Females here don't understand how pervasive the "foreign slut/whore" stereotype is.
I have heard some absolutely disgusting things from Korean guys about western women. Things they would never say about Korean women. When I first moved here I hung out with a group of Korean guys who were in the same social soccer league as me. They were fuckin filthy. "I heard in Canada you can just go to a night club and girls will grab your dick. If you touch their breasts in public they like it. Anal sex is normal for every time. In America life is easy becuase if you want sex you can just meet a girl in a coffe shop or supermarket and have sex within a few hours."

My wife was a high school teacher and she was pretty young when she started, like 24 and beautiful (though I may be biased). I've asked her about her experience and she said no student would even think of saying something sexually suggestive to a female teacher. They were all ultra polite to her. Her friends of a similar age and also working as teachers said the same thing.

So when she returned to work after our kid was born she worked at a high school hagwon place part time and there were a bunch of western female teachers and she was shocked by what the students said to the foreign girls. All the western females just thought it was part of being a teacher here. It really, really isn't. And shouldn't be.

It's the same way kids will try out there swear words with NETs, but wouldn't dare with a Korean teacher.

Ah, Korean education system, where it's unthinkable for a 14yr old boy to not know the derivative of In(x) but perfectly acceptable for him to think all white girls are sluts, all black people are violent and hocking loogies is the pinnacle of sophistication. Education where it matters. Fighting!

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8027 on: May 02, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
False equivalency, and obnoxious as shit. Quit trying to excuse predatory behavior from people old enough to know better.

Aha so that's your beef. Thinking and hoping teenagers will grow out of bad habits (as a result of pressure from their peers, parents, the law and society) is the same as excusing them.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:55:16 AM by eggieguffer »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8028 on: May 02, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »
False equivalency, and obnoxious as shit. Quit trying to excuse predatory behavior from people old enough to know better.

Aha so that's your beef. Thinking and hoping teenagers will grow out of bad habits (as a result of pressure from their peers, parents, the law and society) is the same as excusing it.  :rolleyes:

Waygook.org user eggieguffer, literally what is wrong with you?

Great point #basedcowboyshirt

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8029 on: May 02, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
they try to rub their shoulders against my breasts or their crotches against my shoulder (if I'm sitting). GOD

Ew. Gross.

And it's only going to get worse as they get older and become adults out in the world.

While that's partly true, it can't be the case when people aren't punished for doing these things. All this bad behavior isn't being dealt with, and is frankly encouraged in some situations here by the older generation (I've been told twice I should cheat on my girlfriend, by two different older Korean men). If my parents, or society for that matter, never punished me for doing something wrong, how would I know it's bad?
The World Ends With You

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8030 on: May 02, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »
Chinguetti, these things always seem to happen to you and other 'outspoken' women with feminist views. Are you sure the boys are actually doing it intentionally, as opposed to being typical clumsy teenagers?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8031 on: May 02, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
Chinguetti, these things always seem to happen to you and other 'outspoken' women with feminist views. Are you sure the boys are actually doing it intentionally, as opposed to being typical clumsy teenagers?

Iím a man, but I tend to think that the outspoken ones are the ones who, you know, speak out.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8032 on: May 02, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »
Imagine literally defending high school students who harass women with a 'boys will be boys, they'll grow out of it' response.

Sophistry. I said people generally get better behaved the older they get. Hardly an incendiary comment. Look at the percentage of the prison population over forty. I never dismissed or defended the action or said anything like 'boys will be boys.'

You seem to have some pathological need to try to attempt to argue with literally everybody. Especially about anything related to women, people of colour, or Koreans. Even when you're taking a completely untenable position, you appear to always defend the aggressor, or downplay the fact that their actions are literally wrong.

Yes it must be a shock when you find out people out in the big bad world sometimes have a different point of view to yours.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8033 on: May 02, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »

While I believe 3rd wave feminists exist solely for comedic effect, that's a pretty stupid thing to say. I can't recall a single occasion, as a teenage boy, where I was so clumsy that I managed to fall into someone's boobs with my junk or accidentally mention that I'm a virgin in the hopes of getting lucky with a teacher.

Typical? What kind of teenagers are you used to?

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #8034 on: May 02, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »
Yes it must be a shock when you find out people out in the big bad world sometimes have a different point of view to yours.

Says the guy who trolls others for enjoying pop music..
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8035 on: May 02, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »

Aha so that's your beef. Thinking and hoping teenagers will grow out of bad habits is the same as excusing it.  :rolleyes:

It's one thing to say you hope they'll still turn into good people, but that's not what you were doing, so you can stop right there.

My beef is with you trying to strawman away a serious issue by using ill-informed comparisons and an uneducated/unsupported claim. It's right up there with antivaxxer logic. And now you're trying to deflect and project onto me because I called you out on it.

What I was describing isn't just a bad habit. Stop pretending that it is. The fact that you keep trying to call it a bad habit that teenagers can just "grow out of" is basically trying to excuse it, thereby implying it's a normal part of growing up.

It's not. Fact. Established with history and research. Tons of it. Anything outside of that is the exception, not the norm. Criminal law is partially based on it. So are rehabilitative programs.

When teenagers are exhibiting this kind of behavior, it is near impossible to prevent it from following them into adulthood. Not completely impossible. But it involves a massive amount of intervention and a lot of reinforcement to derail it because they're NOT doing it out of some kind of lack of maturity. There's a lot that led up to it to begin with, which turned into a dysfunction in their personalities. But intervention also normally starts out with family, and what can you do when family is a part of or the root of the problem? Say like a father who says and does the same damn shit. At that point other organizations with the legal authority to trump family has to get involved, but that normally only happens if the child does something severe enough to get detected. As it is, most teenagers with this type of problem are aware enough of what they're doing to hide enough of what they're doing to avoid that sort of thing. Especially in places like Korea.

No amount of wishful thinking will change that. In fact, it just gets in the way. It's one thing to say you hope it'll turn out better. It's another to try to shut down people who say that it most likely won't because facts. Doing the latter only enables and worsens the problem. I saw it in court, I saw it in social services. It's a recurring theme for people guided by selfish interests to try to excuse this kind of problem and pretend it isn't a problem at all.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:47:50 PM by Chinguetti »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8036 on: May 02, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
Are you really unable to distinguish having different points of view that another person or people, as opposed to always, and at every opportunity, arguing with people - at length - whenever there's a chance? Especially whenever the topic involves women, Korea, or immigration / people of colour?

Seriously - you get so worked up whenever someone says maybe a man or a white person was in the wrong.

It's weird.

Yawn, the old why are you getting so worked up, angry triggered? Response. I argue with people on here for the same reason everyone else does.  Bored at work.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #8037 on: May 02, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
A little know fact is that no one has ever got mad or angry on the internet.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #8038 on: May 02, 2018, 12:53:05 PM »
I can back up the Viewpoint that it follows people into adulthood, if you don't put a stop to it. My boyfriend has a younger brother, and one of the kids that he hangs out with has had that attitude for a while. He's 18 now and is more aggressive with it than ever. Nobody bothered to put a stop to it because that was just how he was, it was always "oh ignore him, it's just how he is kek."

my boyfriend/myself have tried to put our foot down whenever he does it around us, but everyone else just turns a blind eye to his behavior. It's definitely not a normal thing among high schoolers, it's just becoming more prevalent because of people turning around and ignoring it.

When he was 15, it was just "haha teenage hormones, boys will be boys!" Now that he's an adult it's no longer funny and quirky, it's an issue. If these kids aren't given a quick hit where it hurts the most, they're going to keep doing it and become even more aggressive.

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8039 on: May 02, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »

While I believe 3rd wave feminists exist solely for comedic effect, that's a pretty stupid thing to say. I can't recall a single occasion, as a teenage boy, where I was so clumsy that I managed to fall into someone's boobs with my junk or accidentally mention that I'm a virgin in the hopes of getting lucky with a teacher.

Typical? What kind of teenagers are you used to?

I suspect that Chinguetti is exaggerating or imagining things that are not happening. It seems much more likely than a large number of students intentionally trying to rub against their teacher. For example, she might interpret a boy brushing his upper leg against her arm while squeezing through a gap in tables as an attempt at rubbing against her chest. She interprets innocent mistakes as an attempt at sexual harassment. I'm not saying she is definitely doing that, but it honestly seems the most likely explanation to me.