September 26, 2018, 05:26:18 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098683 times)

donovan

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2016, 01:36:15 PM »
Romanisation standards don't apply to proper nouns (except, I believe, there is some regulation regarding company name registration after a certain date). With surnames, its almost standard to use McCune simply because its odd for a child to use a different system from their father or grandfather. It's literally grandfathered in. Like, 'literally' literally, not 'like, literally' literally.

Without all those little pesky diacritic marks, I imagine?

And what IS the word for when you want something to be understood as actually being true, without an ounce of exaggeration? There's gotta be a way to say it in one word. I'm literally drawing a blank here.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
My co-teacher is really cranky today. I understand it's because she's hot (temperature-wise...) so I don't really blame her, but it's putting me into a foul mood as well.

On the other hand, we are allowed to use the AC, so why isn't she using it?? I feel fine without it but if it's bad enough to make her so irritable, just turn the damn thing on. Good thing I have a light cardigan with me.
My coteacher: It is hot in here, right!?
Me: Yes, it is hot.
Co: So hot.

(There is a fan right next to you. Why don't you turn it on if you are hot?)

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »
And what IS the word for when you want something to be understood as actually being true, without an ounce of exaggeration? There's gotta be a way to say it in one word. I'm literally drawing a blank here.

There no longer is one. Much like 'disinterested' the English language has lost a genuinely useful word. Thanks millennials.

Sorry that's a bit inapp... wait, nope, ranting thread. Good job.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2016, 02:57:27 PM »

There no longer is one. Much like 'disinterested' the English language has lost a genuinely useful word. Thanks millennials.

Maybe we can steal a page from their own book and use the word "figuratively" to replace the word those whipper-snappers polluted with their "slang".  >:(

Or maybe just be a bit more passive-aggressive and say "not figuratively". That'll show 'em.

donovan

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »

Maybe we can steal a page from their own book and use the word "figuratively" to replace the word those whipper-snappers polluted with their "slang".  >:(

Or maybe just be a bit more passive-aggressive and say "not figuratively". That'll show 'em.

As a millennial myself, I'm going to revel in another one of my generation's achievements and will take no part in your attempts to subvert our subversion.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
Guys, relax. I asked Arsalan to delete my account and my posts because I felt like I had shared too much personal information and wasn't comfortable with it being on the internet. I had no idea in deleting my account, the threads I started would also be completely deleted instead of just my own posts in them.

I started the RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 2.0 thread and it is gone because my account is gone. I'm sorry that all your posts were deleted, I didn't know that would happen. It's not some government conspiracy. The mods aren't out to get you. Your free speech is not being squashed. It's all good!

This reminds me of my friend who frequently deactivates her facebook account which removes every single picture she's tagged me in.  Inadvertently selfish.  I ain't mad I'm just sayin'.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2016, 03:27:54 PM »
Pokemon Go, whyyy  :cry: :cry:

Hoping it will be at least functionally playable in time. After catching a starter I could do nothing more.

I can add another reason to look forward to visiting home. Actually being able to play Pokemon Go! My cousins and I are definitely getting together to do just that hahahah

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
After the talk about pokemon go yesterday I downloaded it, but my map is blank and I haven't come across any pokemon  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was reading that Pokemon Go doesn't work in Korea because of some problem with Google Maps in Korea. We'll just have to wait until we go home to catch em all.  :sad:

Is it out in Korea now? I heard it had only been released in New Zealand, Japan, and America. :o

I downloaded it because I have the american app store on my phone. But it's hugely based on actual physical location/surroundings so if the app hasn't mapped them out yet due to the map problem...there are no landmarks to visit.

Apparently the landmarks are basically the same as in Ingress but I can't find a map of landmarks in Busan.

I hope it ends up working eventually. I live near the beach so I'm tryna catch some water-type Pokemanz.

Stupid question.

I'm looking at three starter pokemon. How do I choose one? Preferably Squirtle?

You have to physically walk on top of and then "tap" the one you want to initiate the battle sequence.  My GPS wasn't reading right at all last night so I couldn't get my character to walk or move, but now it seems to be working more?

At first I thought Squirtle was in my neighbor's apartment (TIME TO GO ON THE ROOF!) but in the end he turned out to be in my kitchen sink. :laugh:

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2016, 06:20:53 PM »
... do the other teachers know about your discovery?

No. I'm too shocked and frankly embarrassed to tell anyone. Hence my rant  >:(

In the future, you may as well report it. Someone left a pantsload of liquid Dokdo in one of our school's toilets once and I got blamed for it. No one would listen to me.

donovan

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »

In the future, you may as well report it. Someone left a pantsload of liquid Dokdo in one of our school's toilets once and I got blamed for it. No one would listen to me.
I would love to hear how that one got pinned on you. :cheesy: Do you have a history of such behavior? That kind of thing can really follow you around and can be hard to shake, especially if you've inadvertantly stepped in it. :laugh: I hope you have a good lawyer.

"It wasn't me! You gotta believe me!"

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »

I would love to hear how that one got pinned on you. :cheesy: Do you have a history of such behavior? That kind of thing can really follow you around and can be hard to shake, especially if you've inadvertantly stepped in it. :laugh: I hope you have a good lawyer.

No! I swear! I just fart a lot, but I never follow through!*

If you see some of my older posts (unless they got deleted in the great 2.0 deletion massacre [I liked rhannahbrown's posts n.n]) you will see an incident where I accidentally made a first grade teacher lose face and as a result she tried to get revenge by having me banned from using school bathrooms. I don't know if this was EXACTLY what happened, but after the huge poop wad had sat mouldering and uncleaned for a day or so, coteachers started coming to me and delicately explaining how to use squat toilets. After that, I was only allowed to use the first floor toilets. I can only imagine that's why.

* jk gurlz dont fart lol

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »

As a millennial myself, I'm going to revel in another one of my generation's achievements and will take no part in your attempts to subvert our subversion.
When you say that you will "take no part", do you mean like 'literally' no part, or do you mean 'like, literally' no part?
I am confused.
I think I'll go take out my dentures and have a lie down.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:46:43 PM by kyndo »

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2016, 08:44:20 PM »
OH MY GOD I FUCKING HATE HANCOM AND ALL THESE SHITTY KOREAN KNOCKOFF PROGRAMS!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

My coworker is in charge of the English club, which means I'm in charge of the English club.  He wants to do a student newspaper despite the fact that this is way above the level of our students' writing abilities.  We're already behind on our deadlines because, as you know, everything takes priority over anything NET related in Korea. 

So I now have 7 massively broken English articles sitting in my inbox in ****** .hwp format and they're all read-only.  I have a workaround but it's just ignited this irrational raging hatred in me.  I HATE these stupid programs and how worthless they are, and I HATE how insistent Koreans are on using them despite them being some niche crap program that's USELESS outside of Korea. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline user17

• Waygookin
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2016, 10:07:20 PM »
OH MY GOD I FUCKING HATE HANCOM AND ALL THESE SHITTY KOREAN KNOCKOFF PROGRAMS!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

My coworker is in charge of the English club, which means I'm in charge of the English club.  He wants to do a student newspaper despite the fact that this is way above the level of our students' writing abilities.  We're already behind on our deadlines because, as you know, everything takes priority over anything NET related in Korea. 

So I now have 7 massively broken English articles sitting in my inbox in ****** .hwp format and they're all read-only.  I have a workaround but it's just ignited this irrational raging hatred in me.  I HATE these stupid programs and how worthless they are, and I HATE how insistent Koreans are on using them despite them being some niche crap program that's USELESS outside of Korea. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

.hwp to ms word converter: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=36772

allows you to open and edit .hwp files with Word.

good luck with the newspaper club. did that at a high school i used to teach at and it was as you would expect. most of the articles were google/naver translated nonsense. had to practically re-write most of them from scratch.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2016, 08:52:09 AM »

.hwp to ms word converter: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=36772

good luck with the newspaper club. did that at a high school i used to teach at and it was as you would expect. most of the articles were google/naver translated nonsense. had to practically re-write most of them from scratch.

Never, ever rewrite (or 'edit' as it's called over here) a student's article. Recently, the same happened to me and I just drew a big red line through the whole thing and wrote, I don't mark Naver/Google translate.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2016, 08:54:42 AM »

Thanks, yeah I've just copy and pasted into an MS document.  It's not a big deal, but the principle and concept of the programs just set me off last night  :laugh:  I hate them SO much.

My kids were actually REALLY good about doing their articles.  I don't think anything in plagerized and we've had a few light rough draft reviews, so thus far my editing has been lighter than I was expecting.  I'm still trying to keep the original integrity of their work, but sometimes it's hard... :-[

donovan

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »

When you say that you will "take no part", do you mean like 'literally' no part, or do you mean 'like, literally' no part?
I am confused.
I think I'll go take out my dentures and have a lie down.

I'd really prefer not to specify. I find it's best to be vague so I can nimbly back out of any statement/position should it be expedient in the future.

donovan

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »

No! I swear! I just fart a lot, but I never follow through!*

If you see some of my older posts (unless they got deleted in the great 2.0 deletion massacre [I liked rhannahbrown's posts n.n]) you will see an incident where I accidentally made a first grade teacher lose face and as a result she tried to get revenge by having me banned from using school bathrooms. I don't know if this was EXACTLY what happened, but after the huge poop wad had sat mouldering and uncleaned for a day or so, coteachers started coming to me and delicately explaining how to use squat toilets. After that, I was only allowed to use the first floor toilets. I can only imagine that's why.

* jk gurlz dont fart lol

It sounds like you have Shakespearean levels of pride, betrayal, and vengeance  (and lust? Or am I reading too far into this?) at your school. Or perhaps just "The Office" levels.

FYI, I know girls fart for a fact; my girlfriend does all the time. I thought you should know there's a tactful way to handle such matters:

I have a student who will excuse himself from class when he feels a fart coming on. He excuses himself often.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »
This KEB/Hana merger thing and Korean banking, in general, returning to piss me off.

My security certificate expires on 07/12 so I tried to renew it tonight. Can't do it because I registered with KEB first to get my security certificate and their own OTP can't be used because the error message tells me that they don't f***ing exist anymore.

So, I need to wait until the 13th to work out a new digital certificate as I can't change issuing banks until this one expires. Will see if Woori can issue a new one successfully.
Then, got to go through the whole process of registering it with KEBHana again (let's see if the KEB OTP works or not) and also with my smartphone apps.

What a stupid layer of security.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2016, 10:15:34 PM »
This KEB/Hana merger thing and Korean banking, in general, returning to piss me off.

My security certificate expires on 07/12 so I tried to renew it tonight. Can't do it because I registered with KEB first to get my security certificate and their own OTP can't be used because the error message tells me that they don't f***ing exist anymore.

So, I need to wait until the 13th to work out a new digital certificate as I can't change issuing banks until this one expires. Will see if Woori can issue a new one successfully.
Then, got to go through the whole process of registering it with KEBHana again (let's see if the KEB OTP works or not) and also with my smartphone apps.

What a stupid layer of security.
for me, the banking app fucked itself on my phone and won't let me transfer, despite me trying multiple, multiple times.

i then tried on my computer and, again, it won't let me transfer. it gives me this error:

"Exceeded failure count in lock card password trying.
Actions : Please check at near bank branch"

due to the complete gibberish of the message (an annoyance in itself), i contacted the the keb facebook people who told me i have to go INTO THE STORE to fix it! something that isn't even my fault! i have never put in my password wrong! and it can't be fixed via phone

i'll spend the time signing up at shinhan instead