December 12, 2018, 12:03:22 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1211928 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7980 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:05 AM »
Ok, so tonight I went to my second viewing of Infinity War (still awesome). I think I enjoyed it this time waaaay more though because it was less packed with noisy Koreans.

Is it just me, or do they seem to have no problem making mouth noises during a movie? It happened a lot when I first went, and it only happened like once tonight.

i moved to China a few months ago. seen Infinity War twice in the cinema here (iMax 3D ftw). it was deathly quiet both times.

in fact one of the things that's stood out to me the most since moving here is how much quieter the chinese are compared to koreans.

a few weeks ago there was a presentation for the parents in my department. two chinese people at the back were talking to each other, and the parents kept looking around at them with these annoyed looks on their faces. eventually they actually got shushed. meanwhile in korea you'll have parents and teachers talking at full volume while the principal is giving a speech.

last week i went to a chinese BBQ restaurant that was packed with drunk, middle-aged chinese dudes. the volume was at least half what you would get in a korean BBQ place in korea that was packed with drunk, middle-aged korean dudes.

I love how all these haters who moved away, still come back to post and bash Korea.

Korea really did a number on you. I think that's hilarious. Enjoy China.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7981 on: May 15, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
wait... i thought you didn't live in korea anymore either, Mr.DeMartino

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7982 on: May 15, 2018, 11:17:41 AM »
Talking - Yeah don't do that unless it's appropriate. Something cool happens "Wow" is appropriate. Something funny? Feel free to laugh.

Shouting "what do you want for dinner?" at your friend across the aisle is not.

With me, I'm one of those people who doesn't have patience with bad movies. If I see "bad" starting, I will walk out and not look back and make that clear to my friends. "Guys, I'm not sure I'm going to stick around. This movie is starting to suck." followed shortly thereafter by "That's it, I'm out." or some dumb drawn out death scene "Just die already". I actually shouted that out when Trinity dies in that awful 3rd Matrix movie. Half the people laughed, half the people told me to shut up. Whatever. I'm ruthless when it comes to movies in the theater. 

'300' I was gone as soon as they kicked that guy into the hole. I realized right then and there that the movie was 2 hours of my life I wouldn't get back and would be better off doing something else than watching stupid. So I told my friends I was out and drove over to my friends house and watched the ball game and drank some OE. If I wanted to watch a bunch of pointless collisions, at least I'll watch football where the outcome is in question.

The way I see it, a film deserves silence as long as it deserves respect. The moment a film is no longer worthy of respect, it's no longer worthy of silence. Usually that's the moment Nicholas Cage overacts some line ala "I'm Castor Troy" or "I'm a damn good Marine." At that point it's fair game to turn to your friends and say "Are you serious? WTF is this shit"

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7983 on: May 15, 2018, 11:23:22 AM »
Talking - Yeah don't do that unless it's appropriate. Something cool happens "Wow" is appropriate. Something funny? Feel free to laugh.

With me, I'm one of those people who doesn't have patience with bad movies. If I see "bad" starting, I will walk out and not look back and make that clear to my friends. "Guys, I'm not sure I'm going to stick around. This movie is starting to suck." followed shortly thereafter by "That's it, I'm out." or some dumb drawn out death scene "Just die already". I actually shouted that out when Trinity dies in that awful 3rd Matrix movie. Half the people laughed, half the people told me to shut up. Whatever. I'm ruthless when it comes to movies in the theater. 

'300' I was gone as soon as they kicked that guy into the hole. I realized right then and there that the movie was 2 hours of my life I wouldn't get back and would be better off doing something else than watching stupid. So I told my friends I was out and drove over to my friends house and watched the ball game and drank some OE. If I wanted to watch a bunch of pointless collisions, at least I'll watch football where the outcome is in question.

The way I see it, a film deserves silence as long as it deserves respect. The moment a film is no longer worthy of respect, it's no longer worthy of silence. Usually that's the moment Nicholas Cage overacts some line ala "I'm Castor Troy" or "I'm a damn good Marine." At that point it's fair game to turn to your friends and say "Are you serious? WTF is this shit"

Here's a hint: no-one wants to watch a movie with you. Your friends are actually relieved that you left the movie theater.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7984 on: May 15, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »
Who said that?

Anyways, one other point- Sports

Gotta watch sports at a bar with a crowd. I want my place full, but not so packed that you can't get to the pisser easy enough. People should be into the game. When it's the last play, everyone should be quiet in suspense or be cheering their butts off, but they should be in it.

And if you're in Korea and it's say, the Olympics. Go to a Korean place with Koreans. Enjoy the atmosphere. Don't go to some foreigner bar. WTF is the point of traveling halfway around the world, to be in a country where they're the host nation, to then try and avoid it. Like seriously, why did you come here? That's the kind of thing you want to experience. If I'm in Brazil and they're hosting the World Cup, I want to be in the spot where all the Brazilian fans are. Same if I'm in Egypt or France or Canada. You want to cheer with the locals and share their misery if their team loses.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7985 on: May 15, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »
Who said that?

Gotta watch sports at a bar with a crowd. I want my place full, but not so packed that you can't get to the pisser easy enough. People should be into the game. When it's the last play, everyone should be quiet in suspense or be cheering their butts off, but they should be in it.

And if you're in Korea and it's say, the Olympics. Go to a Korean place with Koreans. Enjoy the atmosphere. Don't go to some foreigner bar. WTF is the point of traveling halfway around the world, to be in a country where they're the host nation, to then try and avoid it. Like seriously, why did you come here? That's the kind of thing you want to experience. If I'm in Brazil and they're hosting the World Cup, I want to be in the spot where all the Brazilian fans are. Same if I'm in Egypt or France or Canada. You want to cheer with the locals and share their misery if their team loses.

You expect people to be quiet for a two hour curling match?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7986 on: May 15, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »

Here's a hint: no-one wants to watch a movie with you. Your friends are actually relieved that you left the movie theater.

Except the fact that for a couple of them 10 minutes later, they came out too. Sure they stuck around for 300, fine that's cool. But others, they already were with me, they were just willing to give it 10 more minutes.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7987 on: May 15, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
Who said that?

Nope, where did I say that?

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7988 on: May 15, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »

You are on the spectrum. Who does that? Starts shouting in the middle of the movie. "Mum, i dont like this!" How old are you?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7989 on: May 15, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
You are on the spectrum. Who does that? Starts shouting in the middle of the movie. "Mum, i dont like this!" How old are you?
Sorry, but I'm not the type that's going to stay silent and sit for 2 hours when I don't like the movie. I'm going to tell the people I'm with that I'm out of there. We can meet at Applebee's or that Chinese restaurant afterwards. Guess what? Usually if you think the movie sucks, other people think it does too. I also have no problem walking away from crappy food and I don't have to finish or drink everything because I paid for it. Sunk costs fallacy is the dumbest thing in the world.

And yeah, Trinity's death was too long and deserved a Razzing.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7990 on: May 15, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »
"i don't like this movie so i'm going to ruin it for everyone else who does"

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7991 on: May 15, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
To me, that's like apples and oranges. Concerts are loud, the crowd should be loud too; but with movies, the watchers should be quiet and not so distracting.

I don't mean the loud part, it's about going and experiencing something new together with like minded people. I could make some Gyros at home, but it's more fun to go to a festival in Greektown and walk around and have a communal experience. Of course one is loud and the other is passively watching, haha.

The phone thing - Absolutely. Put them on silent.

Teeth sucking, yawning, Snacking, "Mouth sounds" are just like...life sounds.

For the bolded part, the only part I agree with is: laughing at something funny.
If someone said wow at a cool part, I'd get hella annoyed.
This is a large part of why I hate watching movies in the cinema. :P
Like I mentioned though, I rarely watch movies at the cinema, or at home, they lack everything that anime and games have :P

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7992 on: May 15, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
Sorry, but I'm not the type that's going to stay silent and sit for 2 hours when I don't like the movie. I'm going to tell the people I'm with that I'm out of there. We can meet at Applebee's or that Chinese restaurant afterwards. Guess what? Usually if you think the movie sucks, other people think it does too. I also have no problem walking away from crappy food and I don't have to finish or drink everything because I paid for it. Sunk costs fallacy is the dumbest thing in the world.

Movie sucks, goes to Applebee's.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7993 on: May 15, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
To me, that's like apples and oranges. Concerts are loud, the crowd should be loud too; but with movies, the watchers should be quiet and not so distracting.

I don't mean the loud part, it's about going and experiencing something new together with like minded people. I could make some Gyros at home, but it's more fun to go to a festival in Greektown and walk around and have a communal experience. Of course one is loud and the other is passively watching, haha.

I do somewhat miss movie-going in America. Laughing all together because everyone gets the jokes. Or better yet, cheering during certain awesome moments in movies. It feels a bit lonely when everyone doesn't get the same references or jokes that are made, and you're the only one laughing or being amazed.
The World Ends With You

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7994 on: May 15, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
I do somewhat miss movie-going in America. Laughing all together because everyone gets the jokes. Or better yet, cheering during certain awesome moments in movies. It feels a bit lonely when everyone doesn't get the same references or jokes that are made, and you're the only one laughing or being amazed.

Dr. Strangelove is, arguably, one of the best comedies of all time. I saw it in DMC at a Kubrick Exhibition. 250 people, 2 foreigners. The other guy and myself were dying at all the jokes in, what was otherwise, a completely silent theatre.

It was interesting to say the least  and it was nice talking to them after the movie about our laughing. haha
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7995 on: May 15, 2018, 12:17:13 PM »

Like I mentioned though, I rarely watch movies at the cinema, or at home, they lack everything that anime and games have :P

You've got that in common with me too, then, haha. I watch maaaaaaybe four or five movies a year, and most of them tend to be school-safe movies I'm previewing to make sure I can show them to my students on movie days. Any time I have some extra days off, though, I'm at home watching some random anime series all day or playing a Bethesda RPG until it's waaaaay later than I realized it was.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7996 on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »

And yeah, Trinity's death was too long and deserved a Razzing.

1. If you don't like the movie, that's your opinion. As you are entitled to that, it doesn't mean that others feel the same way. A majority of the other people in the theater could actually be loving what they're seeing.

2. If you are gonna be noisy during a movie, it's not the movies fault because it sucks in your opinion, it's just you being inconsiderate. It's disrespectful and inconsiderate for everyone else trying to watch. If you want people to know you think it sucks, their are plenty of places online for that, but I'm pretty sure you've found them by now.
The World Ends With You

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7997 on: May 15, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »
Alright DeMartino, cancelled classes on teacher's day are leaving me bored, thanks for the following:

Dmart: 300' I was gone as soon as they kicked that guy into the hole. I realized right then and there that the movie was 2 hours of my life I wouldn't get back and would be better off doing something else than watching stupid.

Yeah, says the guy with well over 4000 posts on here.  Your time is precious.

Dmart: And, Sorry, but I'm not the type that's going to stay silent and sit for 2 hours when I don't like the movie.

That must be annoying to the complete strangers to the immediate sides of you.

Followed up by one of your classic refutations and condemnations of something that no one said.  Those are always intriguing.

Dmart: And if you're in Korea and it's say, the Olympics. Go to a Korean place with Koreans. Enjoy the atmosphere. Don't go to some foreigner bar. WTF is the point of traveling halfway around the world, to be in a country where they're the host nation, to then try and avoid it. Like seriously, why did you come here? That's the kind of thing you want to experience. If I'm in Brazil and they're hosting the World Cup, I want to be in the spot where all the Brazilian fans are. Same if I'm in Egypt or France or Canada. You want to cheer with the locals and share their misery if their team loses.

Who are you talking to here?  Who mentioned any behaviour of the sort?

Please post soon and often.  I may get to leave after 5th period, but if not...

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7998 on: May 15, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
My biggest peeve are foreigners who are in love with Korea to an extreme.  Sometimes we need to vent, even though I like it here well enough most of the time.  You vent or mention a reasonable complaint and many others agree with you and a few foreigners who want to be d!(ks.  I hardly ever complain online, but I had a complaint about an issue (not a big deal to me) just mentioning it and a lot agreed with me.  Then, you get these foreign apologists who come on and try to berate you ignorantly.  Sometimes, the foreigners can be worse than the locals.  Needless to say, I promptly told them what they can do with themselves.  Sometimes, we all have a bad day and need to let it out.  So, keep at 'er folks.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7999 on: May 15, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
Who said that?

Nope, where did I say that?

Ah, sorry you said just for the 'last play', whatever that means.