November 18, 2018, 05:41:15 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1167106 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7960 on: May 15, 2018, 08:34:11 AM »
people constantly checking their phones is the biggest distraction, for me

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7961 on: May 15, 2018, 08:53:22 AM »
Ok, so tonight I went to my second viewing of Infinity War (still awesome). I think I enjoyed it this time waaaay more though because it was less packed with noisy Koreans.

Is it just me, or do they seem to have no problem making mouth noises during a movie? It happened a lot when I first went, and it only happened like once tonight.

Mouth Noises? Like eating popcorn?

No, like sucking teeth, sighing, audibly yawning, among other things that are a bunch of unnecessary, distracting noises.

Snorking during a movie. It's the worst.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7962 on: May 15, 2018, 08:58:52 AM »
Ok, so tonight I went to my second viewing of Infinity War (still awesome). I think I enjoyed it this time waaaay more though because it was less packed with noisy Koreans.

Is it just me, or do they seem to have no problem making mouth noises during a movie? It happened a lot when I first went, and it only happened like once tonight.

No, like sucking teeth, sighing, audibly yawning, among other things that are a bunch of unnecessary, distracting noises.

When I saw it, I was still a bit sick, so I was coughing a little bit. :'(

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7963 on: May 15, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »

Nothing wrong with that. I guess if people want total quiet then watch it at home?  :blank:

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7964 on: May 15, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »

Nothing wrong with that. I guess if people want total quiet then watch it at home?  :blank:

Basically this :P

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7965 on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »

Basically this :P

Yeah i don't like those noises but i would even notice them if i was watching a loud blockbuster. But if you are in a quite elevator like i was this morning then those silly noises become very annoying.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7966 on: May 15, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »

The watch it at home excuse is bull. There's no way in hell you can get a theater experience in a tiny little apartment here. Plus yes, quieter is nice, but I hoped that some people would at least have the consideration to lessen any unnecessary sounds in a theater. Save the usual phone ringing, which is bound to happen (and frankly, DID happen when I first watched the movie). The theater experience is literally ruined when people do this stuff.
The World Ends With You

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7967 on: May 15, 2018, 10:06:45 AM »
I watched A quiet place at the cinema here and it was surprisingly quiet.

The thing that pisses me off the most are people checking/txting on their phones throughout the movie as the light is distracting and you can't help but look at it.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7968 on: May 15, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »

The watch it at home excuse is bull. There's no way in hell you can get a theater experience in a tiny little apartment here. Plus yes, quieter is nice, but I hoped that some people would at least have the consideration to lessen any unnecessary sounds in a theater. Save the usual phone ringing, which is bound to happen (and frankly, DID happen when I first watched the movie). The theater experience is literally ruined when people do this stuff.

Can buy popcorn from homeplus, a soda from the nearby convenience store (plus other snacks you'd usually buy at the cinema), then get some quality speakers / good headset, and watch the movie from your home PC. It's possible to do it in your apartment here. But it depends on what your view on the cinema experience is.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7969 on: May 15, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »
I hate noise and distractions while watching a movie so much that I've only been to the theaters three times in the past ten years. I get unreasonably angry at the bright phone screens, chatting, and popcorn munching, so unless a cutie wants to go catch a movie together, I actively avoid theaters. Luckily(?), cuties never want to do anything with me, so I don't have to subject myself to it. Hooray?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7970 on: May 15, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
I hate noise and distractions while watching a movie so much that I've only been to the theaters three times in the past ten years. I get unreasonably angry at the bright phone screens, chatting, and popcorn munching, so unless a cutie wants to go catch a movie together, I actively avoid theaters. Luckily(?), cuties never want to do anything with me, so I don't have to subject myself to it. Hooray?

Hahaha Awww bless you Mr.T.

This made me actually laugh, in a nice way.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7971 on: May 15, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »

Can buy popcorn from homeplus, a soda from the nearby convenience store (plus other snacks you'd usually buy at the cinema), then get some quality speakers / good headset, and watch the movie from your home PC. It's possible to do it in your apartment here. But it depends on what your view on the cinema experience is.

Don't care enough about the snacks. It's about being in that big dark room, with friends, watching a story unfold on the giant screen, while the noises boom during certain parts. In the theater, the only thing that matters is the movie. If I'm at home, I'm 10x more likely to be distracted, especially by my phone (I can't speak for everyone, but I know it's true for a lot of people). I have no problem with watching movies at home, but when it's something like Avengers, I want that experience.
The World Ends With You

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7972 on: May 15, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »
I teach in the homeroom classrooms. The kids are way more chill than in 'English rooms'. Went to teach 6th grade. The head of 6th grade managed to confuse the three bottles of water scattered across her desk and take mine to her office before class started. I think I'll let her keep it rather than ask for it back with all her germs. Silly woman.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7973 on: May 15, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »
Don't care enough about the snacks. It's about being in that big dark room, with friends, watching a story unfold on the giant screen, while the noises boom during certain parts. In the theater, the only thing that matters is the movie. If I'm at home, I'm 10x more likely to be distracted, especially by my phone (I can't speak for everyone, but I know it's true for a lot of people). I have no problem with watching movies at home, but when it's something like Avengers, I want that experience.

If I don't go to the theatre 3 times a month, I go a little loopy. I used to be a projectionist, so I'd get free movies. 3/4 of the movies I'd see back home were on the big screen. It's really hard to watch some movies on a 27" screen after 8 years of big screens. Especially with something like Blade Runner 2049 or Dunkirk.

There's something magical about being in a room and having a common experience with hundreds of strangers. Like a concert. The melting together of a crowd into a unique, awesome experience.

Watching Dunkirk by yourself on your phone.......... I just can't imagine. The sound, too. That sound coming out of an S5 speaker? Do yourself a favour and go to the cinema once in a while, the talking isn't that bad, neither are the phone screens. 
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7974 on: May 15, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »

If I don't go to the theatre 3 times a month, I go a little loopy. I used to be a projectionist, so I'd get free movies. 3/4 of the movies I'd see back home were on the big screen. It's really hard to watch some movies on a 27" screen after 8 years of big screens. Especially with something like Blade Runner 2049 or Dunkirk.

There's something magical about being in a room and having a common experience with hundreds of strangers. Like a concert. The melting together of a crowd into a unique, awesome experience.

Watching Dunkirk by yourself on your phone.......... I just can't imagine. The sound, too. That sound coming out of an S5 speaker? Do yourself a favour and go to the cinema once in a while, the talking isn't that bad, neither are the phone screens.

To me, that's like apples and oranges. Concerts are loud, the crowd should be loud too; but with movies, the watchers should be quiet and not so distracting.
I follow more with Mr. Tim's thoughts. While I don't get unreasonably angry at it, it annoys me a lot.

However, I rarely watch movies. They often lack the great magic and sword battles I have come to expect from anime and video games. :p

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7975 on: May 15, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »

i moved to China a few months ago. seen Infinity War twice in the cinema here (iMax 3D ftw). it was deathly quiet both times.

in fact one of the things that's stood out to me the most since moving here is how much quieter the chinese are compared to koreans.

a few weeks ago there was a presentation for the parents in my department. two chinese people at the back were talking to each other, and the parents kept looking around at them with these annoyed looks on their faces. eventually they actually got shushed. meanwhile in korea you'll have parents and teachers talking at full volume while the principal is giving a speech.

last week i went to a chinese BBQ restaurant that was packed with drunk, middle-aged chinese dudes. the volume was at least half what you would get in a korean BBQ place in korea that was packed with drunk, middle-aged korean dudes.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7976 on: May 15, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »

Love this. It's exactly how I feel.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7977 on: May 15, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
To me, that's like apples and oranges. Concerts are loud, the crowd should be loud too; but with movies, the watchers should be quiet and not so distracting.

I don't mean the loud part, it's about going and experiencing something new together with like minded people. I could make some Gyros at home, but it's more fun to go to a festival in Greektown and walk around and have a communal experience. Of course one is loud and the other is passively watching, haha.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7978 on: May 15, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »

I don't mean the loud part, it's about going and experiencing something new together with like minded people. I could make some Gyros at home, but it's more fun to go to a festival in Greektown and walk around and have a communal experience. Of course one is loud and the other is passively watching, haha.

The phone thing - Absolutely. Put them on silent.
Talking - Yeah don't do that unless it's appropriate. Something cool happens "Wow" is appropriate. Something funny? Feel free to laugh.

Shouting "what do you want for dinner?" at your friend across the aisle is not.

Teeth sucking, yawning, Snacking, "Mouth sounds" are just like...life sounds.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7979 on: May 15, 2018, 11:06:39 AM »
So what it comes down to is why someone is going to the theater in the first place. If the primary motivation is to be in a group of like-minded people socializing, noise won't be that big a deal. It's like a concert! If the primary motivation is to be engrossed in the story or world the movie is trying to convey, then silence and lack of distractions is nice. It's like reading a book!

For people who want the social, communal experience, the excess noise is like a fun concert where everyone is enjoying a shared experience.

For people who want an immersive storytelling experience, that noise is like someone sitting next to you and chewing in your ear while you're trying to reading a book.

Different strokes, blablabla. I'll stick with watching my movies at home alone, and leave the happy-happy fun times to you social butterfiles, haha.