December 10, 2018, 02:57:58 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1208413 times)

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7880 on: May 02, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »
Chinguetti, these things always seem to happen to you and other 'outspoken' women with feminist views. Are you sure the boys are actually doing it intentionally, as opposed to being typical clumsy teenagers?

While I believe 3rd wave feminists exist solely for comedic effect, that's a pretty stupid thing to say. I can't recall a single occasion, as a teenage boy, where I was so clumsy that I managed to fall into someone's boobs with my junk or accidentally mention that I'm a virgin in the hopes of getting lucky with a teacher.

Typical? What kind of teenagers are you used to?

StillinKorea is basically an LBH who knows he's full of shit, so he tries to hide a lot of the holes in his argument as "trolling". If and when he realizes that an argument is getting out of his control, he'll default to that as well.
It pretty much just degenerates into personal attacks and LOL JK Y U SO SENSITVE so that he can try to reestablish control by upsetting the other person instead.

I'd swear he was a guy named Neil. This is kind of his MO.

Real trolls aren't as specific about the subjects that they choose, and their patterns go from point A to point B, not from point C to point Z. He's just made of fail, so it's pointless to engage.

Yeah, I'm not trolling here. I genuinely think you're paranoid and interpret random things as an attack on women. It's unfortunate that you take that attitude to work.

Not called Neil.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7881 on: May 02, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm not trolling here. I genuinely think you're paranoid and interpret random things as an attack on women. It's unfortunate that you take that attitude to work.

Not called Neil.

No, you're not ready to make that claim, yet, and I'm not going to give you an opportunity to. Everyone else has already made it very clear that they know what you're all about, so it's pointless to clap back at your gaslighting. You are what you are.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7882 on: May 02, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »
I hate how anyone who says anything that the OP doesn't like is a troll.

What happened to this world?

Why is everyone a troll all of a sudden?

Why is cracking a joke or disagreeing with someone's opinion trolling?

Add in the fact that the way Americans pronounce troll/trolling it really does my ****** head in.

*no I'm not trolling.  :cry:

Trolling  :blank: :cry:

American pronunciation is like nails on a chalkboard for me sometimes.

Wait, how do you pronunciation snobs pronounce it? I don't think I've ever heard a non-American say it out loud, so I didn't know there was a difference.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7883 on: May 02, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
I had no idea broccoli derived from cabbage.  (Along with misc other veggies.)

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7884 on: May 02, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
Wait, how do you pronunciation snobs pronounce it? I don't think I've ever heard a non-American say it out loud, so I didn't know there was a difference.

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7885 on: May 02, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

That'd be my guess as well.  Though I feel it's more logical to pronounce "troll" in the same manner as "roll" so as not to confuse with trawling.  Whatever floats ya'lls boats. 

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7886 on: May 02, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?
  :laugh:

God no...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/troll?q=trolling 

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7887 on: May 02, 2018, 02:53:28 PM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

That'd be my guess as well.  Though I feel it's more logical to pronounce "troll" in the same manner as "roll" so as not to confuse with trawling.  Whatever floats ya'lls boats.

Well we do that too....but our pronunciation of roll is also better different.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7888 on: May 02, 2018, 02:54:37 PM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

Well we do that too....but our pronunciation of roll is also better different.

Oh god I just listened to your pronunciation of TRAWL...it does sound like our troll.  :laugh:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7889 on: May 02, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

God no...

The difference in pronunciation in those examples is honestly subtle enough that I probably wouldn't have even registered it as different if I heard it in casual conversation. Is the difference in real life more pronounced than in those recordings? They certainly don't sound drastic enough that I'd liken it to nails on a chalkboard or think it "does my head in," but I guess everyone has to be passionate about something.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7890 on: May 02, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

God no...

The difference in pronunciation in those examples is honestly subtle enough that I probably wouldn't have even registered it as different if I heard it in casual conversation. Is the difference in real life more pronounced than in those recordings? They certainly don't sound drastic enough that I'd liken it to nails on a chalkboard or think it "does my head in," but I guess everyone has to be passionate about something.

Calm down Mr. Tim, it was clearly meant in jest. (From my side, don't know about Avec)

I also didn't say this pronunciation specifically,

Just that sometimes the American pronunciation of a words feels like nails on a chalkboard. One specific  example would be "Schedule".

I just prefer British pronunciation, it isn't a personal attack on you or your country.  ;D

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7891 on: May 02, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »
You know another word Americans pronounce better different?

"vitamin"

Only the difference is a bit more obvious.

Fun fact, it's like real-life pokemon. Cabbage is basically magikarp. No one really knows what it's good for, BUT THEN

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7892 on: May 02, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

God no...

Calm down Mr. Tim, it was clearly meant in jest. (From my side, don't know about Avec)

Just that sometimes the American pronunciation of a words feels like nails on a chalkboard. One specific  example would be "Schedule".

I just prefer British pronunciation, it isn't a personal attack on you or your country.  ;D

Sorry. It's become one of my pet peeves over the years, I suppose, so I probably read too much in to it sometimes. Condescension from Brits, that is. Whether it's about American English, still using the Imperial measuring system, or our... uh... eating habits, I've just grown tired of people looking down their noses at us. Tired enough that even when it's done in jest, I let it get to me, apparently.

I actually used to really want to visit the UK again (I lived in Scotland when I was very young, my earliest memories are there), but then the internet came along and exposed me to all the things they think and have to say about us, and I'm just about cured of that desire.  :laugh:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7893 on: May 02, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »
I actually used to really want to visit the UK again (I lived in Scotland when I was very young, my earliest memories are there), but then the internet came along and exposed me to all the things they think and have to say about us, and I'm just about cured of that desire.  :laugh:

Yeah I put off my trip to the States because of my less than perfect teeth.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7894 on: May 02, 2018, 03:33:45 PM »

Was just thinking this.

Like... trawling?

God no...

Sorry. It's become one of my pet peeves over the years, I suppose, so I probably read too much in to it sometimes. Condescension from Brits, that is. Whether it's about American English, still using the Imperial measuring system, or our... uh... eating habits, I've just grown tired of people looking down their noses at us. Tired enough that even when it's done in jest, I let it get to me, apparently.

It could be that they were trying to be funny. We can be awkward to resort to "banter" which sometimes comes across a lot worse than we intend.

I don't think many Brits truly care about pronunciation differences or word differences, apart from a few... :laugh:
You're one of the biggest countries in the world and so you're a pretty easy target.   ;D

What to Brits say about your eating habits? I've never heard that one. 

Talking of built up resentment though...I do hate it when I have a school/teacher force the American pronunciations on me (I haven't had this for years thankfully but I know many British teachers do) and the students. I understand that is the language used here, however I don't feel that the kids should be told that the American way is the only *correct* way.
 If it is, why do they hire from different countries?   >:(
I think it's important to let them know there are many ways and I try my best to show them both American / British sounds where i can.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7895 on: May 02, 2018, 03:35:41 PM »

"vitamin"

Fun fact, it's like real-life pokemon. Cabbage is basically magikarp. No one really knows what it's good for, BUT THEN

Fun fact, that was my nickname at my former school because apparently my "smile was full of energy." Though it took an explanation for me to realize what they were calling me because the pronunciation was different.   :laugh: 

Love the pokemon analogy.  I am fonder of cabbage's evolved forms than of cabbage itself.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7896 on: May 02, 2018, 03:39:23 PM »

"vitamin"

Fun fact, that was my nickname at my former school because apparently my "smile was full of energy." Though it took an explanation for me to realize what they were calling me because the pronunciation was different.   :laugh: 

Love the pokemon analogy.  I am fonder of cabbage's evolved forms than of cabbage itself.

They called you Magikarp?  A little insensitive tbh.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7897 on: May 02, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
Talking of built up resentment though...I do hate it when I have a school/teacher force the American pronunciations on me (I haven't had this for years thankfully but I know many British teachers do) and the students. I understand that is the language used here, however I don't feel that the kids should be told that the American way is the only *correct* way.
 If it is, why do they hire from different countries?   >:(
I think it's important to let them know there are many ways and I try my best to show them both American / British sounds where i can.

Or when they force a singular pronunciation in general (because even in the states there are varying pronunciations depending on which region you're from).  On the one hand, I get that that particular teacher was probably aiming for consistency, but for example, I pronounce "a" two different ways interchangeably and I see nothing wrong with letting the kids know either way is fine.  She even demanded I pronounce "aunt" like "ant" when I prefer the other variant. 

While I think I understand where she was coming from, I disliked that she was reinforcing the idea that there is only "one correct way." She did this in other ways too and I could see new students changing from eager to spit out any English they knew to being worried about spitting out the "wrong" answer. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7898 on: May 02, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »

"vitamin"

They called you Magikarp?  A little insensitive tbh.

Lol, the bold.  You trawling?   :laugh:
Also, I would hesitate to describe a magikarp's "smile" as being "full of energy"  :undecided:

Offline AWVM_HXE

• Adventurer
« Reply #7899 on: May 02, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »
Picking on other people for having an accent is really low.