December 17, 2018, 12:45:33 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1225672 times)

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7720 on: April 19, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »
My favorite thing EVER is when I have a game prepared that involves groups, and I when I tell my students to group up, there's the awkward pause. And then my co-teacher says "I don't think they want groups because they don't like each other." There goes my lesson.

More like "I didn't ask them to like it, I told them to group up."

It's nuts that just not listening to the teacher seems so commonly accepted here.

Last week there was a student who wouldn't stop sleeping. My CoT told me the kid was feeling sick, so I asked if he had been to the nurses office. He asked, and the kid said no. I told the kid to go to the nurses office, he said no. My CoT told him to, he said no. CoT was like "Welp, he doesn't want to go." I said "He's a child. We're his teachers. It doesn't matter what he wants to do." CoT was just like "Oh well, we can't do anything," and that was the end of it.

I tend to do a little role play with every lesson, and I always make it so they have to: practice with a partner, write down their partners reply, and switch partners (after doing both A and B - this is what my co-teachers won't in my lessons). But, the other day, 1 boy done it 1 time, very reluctantly, then flat out refused. Then other students saw him refusing and joined in: They tried telling me why they won't do it, after telling my co-teacher in Korean, he translated it to: "I'm / we're in the soccer team, we don't have to study English because it is beneath us."

So for the first time ever, I had to discipline students (My co-teachers don't let me do discipline, because that is part of their responsibility in the way we do things), I punished everyone, including the good students, as the good students kinda of joined in on it too, before I stepped in with discipline. However, I was a bit more forgiving of the good students. The good thing is, my co-teacher had my back with my discipline.

I made them write lines for the last 5 - 10 mins of class, and the bad students had to keep writing for 5 minutes after class, while I let the good students go on time. I was going to do the full 10 minutes, however, I had to prepare something special for another class, so I didn't have time to stay the full 10 minutes - I told them, they took their punishment well, so they could leave early, but next time they won't be so lucky (which my co-teacher translated to them haha). My co-teacher told them in Korean: Why they were being punished, and what they are writing means. They also had to write it in both in English and Korean to count as 1 line.
They came back and apologized to me later, which was good. I was nervous about doing discipline as 1: I'm not used to doing it here in Korea, and 2: It's not the part of the job I enjoy (though, I know it needs to be done at times, and most people don't enjoy doing it either haha).

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7721 on: April 19, 2018, 09:59:24 AM »
Exactly, as long as your lesson plans contain the Roman alphabet after one page of an actual lesson plan they will not notice.  Or they'll look but be embarrassed to admit they can't understand it.  Just copy and past sections of Wikipedia.

When asked to do something similar once (40 lesson plans by the end of the week), I was legitimately tempted to do it in Spanish, just to see if they'd notice.  :laugh:

I chickened out and did it properly in the end, of course, so I guess we'll never know.  :sad:

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7722 on: April 19, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
I'm doing them from this week onward and if they ask for anything else, I'll maybe give them the prior week.

I keep track of my lessons for higher grades but my lowest is just trying to do the same lesson plan for a week because I can't get them to get off their phones. It's just a punishment now to be stuck on the same topic until we get through the plan. It's just not in my plans to retroactively hand write my lesson plans for the last month because someone forgot to give me the paperwork.

Honestly though the best advice I've gotten in my time on this site is just: More coffee, less caring.
In fact it's now become a ritual to listen to "I don't care" from In the Good Old Summertime when I walk to school.

Offline johnny2shoes

• Adventurer
« Reply #7723 on: April 19, 2018, 11:38:07 AM »
I just had an open class with one of my first grade elementary classes. It was jam packed with parents. A parent or grandparent of every kid showed up so they squeezed into every inch of the classroom. There were even some people sitting at the front of the room. About halfway through, a phone starts ringing. It was the guy sitting right next to where I was standing, conducting the lesson. Not only did he answer it but he had a very loud conversation for over 5 minutes without excusing himself. How could he possibly have thought that was ok?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7724 on: April 19, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
Regarding the lesson plans, just walk up like.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7725 on: April 19, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
I just had an open class with one of my first grade elementary classes. It was jam packed with parents. A parent or grandparent of every kid showed up so they squeezed into every inch of the classroom. There were even some people sitting at the front of the room. About halfway through, a phone starts ringing. It was the guy sitting right next to where I was standing, conducting the lesson. Not only did he answer it but he had a very loud conversation for over 5 minutes without excusing himself. How could he possibly have thought that was ok?

Need any more evidence that this is all a joke?
The World Ends With You

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7726 on: April 19, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »

Why did you let him do that?  Seriously, why not (politely) ask him to leave as he was disrupting the education of a whole class.

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7727 on: April 19, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »

Why did you let him do that?  Seriously, why not (politely) ask him to leave as he was disrupting the education of a whole class.

Or....

And then she was sued for everything, and more; And her workplace was also sued. Because this is 'Murica, where you can sue anyone, and everyone, for anything! :P

But whoa, that's a crazy gif. :p

Offline johnny2shoes

• Adventurer
« Reply #7728 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:53 PM »

In hindsight, I absolutely should have asked him to leave but in the moment I was just so shocked by the absurdity of it that i kind of froze.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7729 on: April 19, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »

In hindsight, I absolutely should have asked him to leave but in the moment I was just so shocked by the absurdity of it that i kind of froze.

Curious, did any of the other parents look at him or at least look irritated/uncomfortable with him?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:05:14 PM by Chinguetti »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7730 on: April 19, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »
FACK I JUST SPILLED HOT COFFEE ALL OVER MY PANTS

The pants will be okay, they're black. I just need to figure out how to peel the bits of flesh from them later.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:05:23 PM by Chinguetti »

Online AMDC

• Veteran
« Reply #7731 on: April 19, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
I just had a much-less-dire 'Final Destination' experience at lunch today.

I managed to avoid not one, but two 3rd grade students spilling the entire contents of their lunch trays right next to me. Today was a red chili flake soup, so it would have been bad.

But I know I've only escaped my fate momentarily. It's only a matter of time...

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7732 on: April 19, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »

Froze for over 5 minutes? 5 minutes is a really long time.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7733 on: April 19, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »

Yeah! Should have totally mocked the situation and went all in with your own fake phone call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27aVPqpnL7Y

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7734 on: April 19, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
Yeah! Should have totally mocked the situation and went all in with your own fake phone call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27aVPqpnL7Y
Still the best fake phone call ever.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7735 on: April 21, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »
So I grew a back bone and confronted my MT about why she needed photos of the kids.
I asked if it was mandatory and she said no. I told her I wouldn't do it, and that the kids expressed it was a violation of their rights.

She surprises me in the middle of class with "we need to discuss your vacation days."
Okay? Now? Fine. I tell her the days I'm taking, she asks where I'm going. I said back home to visit my grandparents.

She tells me that I can't leave Korea? And says she has to ask for permission from the principal and the Provincial Office and acts like it's a hassle and therefore I can't/shouldn't go.

Asked someone who's been in the program longer than I have and travels around, because it sounded like a lie.

It was.

I'm so fecking tired of being treated like I've got a marble rolling around in my skull. I just want to switch schools and never come back.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7736 on: April 21, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »
So I grew a back bone and confronted my MT about why she needed photos of the kids.
I asked if it was mandatory and she said no. I told her I wouldn't do it, and that the kids expressed it was a violation of their rights.

She surprises me in the middle of class with "we need to discuss your vacation days."
Okay? Now? Fine. I tell her the days I'm taking, she asks where I'm going. I said back home to visit my grandparents.

She tells me that I can't leave Korea? And says she has to ask for permission from the principal and the Provincial Office and acts like it's a hassle and therefore I can't/shouldn't go.

Asked someone who's been in the program longer than I have and travels around, because it sounded like a lie.

It was.

I'm so fecking tired of being treated like I've got a marble rolling around in my skull. I just want to switch schools and never come back.

tell her to put everything she says in writing, then submit to the MOE. 

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7737 on: April 21, 2018, 06:46:24 PM »

It was.

tell her to put everything she says in writing, then submit to the MOE.

I've gone over her head to the PoE themselves to ask politely what the case is for us leaving on vacations, just so I ~don't make a mistake~ with planning my trips.

If they say I can leave whenever, I'm telling them the situation. If they say I can't leave, then I'll bite the bullet and admit I was wrong to myself and accept my fate.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7738 on: April 22, 2018, 12:41:12 AM »

It was.

She's full of shit and is trying to bully you.

Basically, a school can technically tell you you're not allowed to leave the country during school (non-red day holidays that schools may grant off) and national holidays (red days). I don't remember the reasons why, but I think it has to do with insurance or whatever. Most of them won't, though, although most NETs won't divulge their travel plans, just in case.

However, schools have absolutely no say whatsoever on where you can go during your vacation periods. But keep in mind that red days or school holidays can and do often get spliced in in the middle of many NETs' vacation periods, and a school can demand that you're in the country on THOSE days. This is another reason why you should keep your travel plans a secret, no matter how persistent your school is about it. It's none of their business.

There are no hoops for the schools to jump through in either case, too. She's absolutely just trying to bullshit you because you pissed her off.

In the future, don't divulge any of your travel plans to them. Or any personal details in general. Lie. Tell them you haven't decided, yet. If they persist, it's really none of their business. Remember, you don't know, you haven't decided yet.

As for your current situation, regardless of what your POE says, no one can prevent you from traveling out of the country, and I would just do it without saying anything about it. They honestly won't ever know unless you tell them. They don't have access to flight information or anything like that. Just lie if the subject ever comes up. Your POE should back you up on this, though. Does TALK not provide any coordinators?

In any case, this lady has blatantly lied to you several times, and not over little things, and this latest development shows that she may be out to get you. She's not to be trusted, and you really need to start secretly recording your conversations with her (it's legal in Korea to secretly record as long as you're part of that conversation and can also be heard on the recording). Keep any emails or texts she sends to you, and try to get her to repeat things she says through email. Get as many things in writing as possible. Don't be surprised that she's lying about you to the principal and other KTs. This is why you need to start collecting evidence against her, in case she tries anything underhanded to effect your job position. Once you have evidence, you need to be proactive and start filing complaints.

Try going to the principal first and presenting him or her with the evidence. If he or she is unhelpful, at that point reach out to the POE (or TALK coordinator first, if they do have those).

As for growing a backbone, good for you, but choose your battles carefully. Put your foot down on things like your pay or getting hauled off for some stupid photoshoot while you're trying to get work done (you're not a prop for her to use to boost her own resume), but realize that teachers taking pictures of students while they work is common and normal here (I don't agree with it, either, but it's common practice in Korea and the students are used to it, even if they don't like it). You can insist that you remain out of those pictures, but it would be best for you to respect this particular cultural norm, as long as it's not causing any harm to the kids.

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this, but just remember that it's only temporary, and your MT will get what's coming to her (because she's honestly not being very smart about it, probably because she thinks you're that dumb). Tread carefully for now and don't reveal ANY personal info that you don't need to (not even what you did over the weekend). Always be vague, or just flatout lie.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:17:58 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline johnny2shoes

• Adventurer
« Reply #7739 on: April 22, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »

I guess froze is the wrong word. I mean I just wasn't sure what I should do other than just try to continue the class. After it was finished my CT kept telling me how funny it was that he answered the call.