September 26, 2018, 04:30:33 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098342 times)

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7680 on: March 29, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »

Yeah, TaLK is through the government, so you definitely get paid on time. The school/your coteacher is bullsh!tting you. Contact your TaLK coordinator. Even if it might not be the correct person to talk to, they should be able to give you the correct information.

And you definitely need to have a coteacher. Even if it's just the homeroom teacher in the classroom with you. You are never supposed* to be alone in the classroom with the kids. (*This actually totally happens all the time, but if you are clearly struggling and no one's doing anything about it, that's wrong).

So good news and bad news regarding this topic.

I got paid! I check my account every day after work just hoping and wishing, and today it was there like magic. I was so shocked I was absolutely calm. So much stress vanished at once that I was 100% at peace with life lmao.

But the bad news. I actually begged my MT for a CoT today, I pleaded and begged and brought her in to see how bad the class was. What used to be my worst student snitched on the ones causing issues because even HE was annoyed by it. She just made them apologize and then told me something I'm not sure makes sense.

All I could gather was that I need to give them a worksheet every day and collect it at the end and hand them over to my MT so I can get paid..?? Her English is as good as my Korean, which is barely anything, but I guess I'll do what they want me to.

I know legally I can't grade papers so I'm confused as to why I need to give them one every day and give them over.  But eh, when it doesn't fly with the kids then maybe they'll finally see why I've been begging for help.

Are you sure you don't just have to take the attendance correctly?

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7681 on: March 29, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »
So good news and bad news regarding this topic.

I got paid! I check my account every day after work just hoping and wishing, and today it was there like magic. I was so shocked I was absolutely calm. So much stress vanished at once that I was 100% at peace with life lmao.

But the bad news. I actually begged my MT for a CoT today, I pleaded and begged and brought her in to see how bad the class was. What used to be my worst student snitched on the ones causing issues because even HE was annoyed by it. She just made them apologize and then told me something I'm not sure makes sense.

All I could gather was that I need to give them a worksheet every day and collect it at the end and hand them over to my MT so I can get paid..?? Her English is as good as my Korean, which is barely anything, but I guess I'll do what they want me to.

I know legally I can't grade papers so I'm confused as to why I need to give them one every day and give them over.  But eh, when it doesn't fly with the kids then maybe they'll finally see why I've been begging for help.

Yeah, either there's a misunderstanding again, or your MT is bullshitting you hard. Whether or not you get paid has nothing to do with worksheets you collect from students. That's not something a school can decide to do, especially when it's regarding a NET supplied through a government program.

It's more likely that they just want you to do a worksheet activity with the students on the regular or else they won't have adequate "proof" that the students are getting work done. Or, like lifeisgood has suggested, it could be that she's just wanting/needing you to take attendance, possibly as part of a first step towards trying to get the class under control.

If your MT is actually trying to tell you that you won't get paid UNLESS you do this, I'd immediately report them. That's not only NOT something that the school can decide upon and dictate, it's also illegal. They receive funds from the government to pay the NET, they cannot withhold that pay for any reason. If they have a problem with the NET, they can just not renew the NET at the end of the contract. Period.

Whatever the case may be, don't let them get away with paying you late. It could be that someone is just super incompetent at doing their job, but it's also possible that someone in the school sees fit to **** with the NET out of some misguided power play. Be diplomatic about it, but if it happens again and they don't immediately pay you after being notified that you haven't been paid yet (in the chance that someone just forgot to wire it), you really need to start reaching out to people over them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:33:07 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7682 on: March 29, 2018, 10:47:22 AM »
My co-workers have taken me out to eat several times in the past, but last night was the first time it was a communal-style meal at a Chinese restaurant. Needless to say, I'm not feeling too well today  :sad:
The World Ends With You

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7683 on: March 29, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »

It's more likely that they just want you to do a worksheet activity with the students on the regular or else they won't have adequate "proof" that the students are getting work done. Or, like lifeisgood has suggested, it could be that she's just wanting/needing you to take attendance, possibly as part of a first step towards trying to get the class under control.

She explained the attendance thing on day 1, which completely makes sense to me. Take attendance to provide proof you were in class with students etc etc.

But this was another checklist she showed me, and kept, and said I had to turn in the worksheets AND the attendance sheet. She said briefly the payment part, something like "like check list, turn it in. For payment."

I'm assuming it's just for "proof" that they're learning. The school is kind of cryptic with me, I'd expect it from a private school but not a public one. There's also other issues regarding paying for the 회식 and...trips and "other fees"? 3 months in advance but tbh I'll just roll with it until I can figure out what game they're playing at.

Sorry to spam the thread guys.

My co-workers have taken me out to eat several times in the past, but last night was the first time it was a communal-style meal at a Chinese restaurant. Needless to say, I'm not feeling too well today  :sad:

And oh boy, drink lots of water and have something with citrus. It always helped me as a kid, I hope it'll help you too.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7684 on: March 29, 2018, 02:02:08 PM »

She explained the attendance thing on day 1, which completely makes sense to me. Take attendance to provide proof you were in class with students etc etc.

But this was another checklist she showed me, and kept, and said I had to turn in the worksheets AND the attendance sheet. She said briefly the payment part, something like "like check list, turn it in. For payment."

I'm assuming it's just for "proof" that they're learning. The school is kind of cryptic with me, I'd expect it from a private school but not a public one. There's also other issues regarding paying for the 회식 and...trips and "other fees"? 3 months in advance but tbh I'll just roll with it until I can figure out what game they're playing at.

Sorry to spam the thread guys.

And oh boy, drink lots of water and have something with citrus. It always helped me as a kid, I hope it'll help you too.

I am not sure how the TALK contracts read, but I would be careful about that "order to get paid" stuff. It could even be that she has to turn in documents, but wants you to get them done on her behalf, so tells you that. It wouldn't be the first time that I've seen that done. They could however want you to turn in papers as part of your duties, but not as criteria to get paid.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7685 on: March 29, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
Firstly, a big thank you to the makers of the PPT games. It sure kills 20 mins when my back-to-back elem classes with the same students get a bit dull. Also, "what does the fox say ?" game is kind of fun. I enjoy it in my quiet time.  8)

But, learn to friggen spell! Loose a turn?!; not once but twice!  :shocked:

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7686 on: March 29, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »

I am not sure how the TALK contracts read, but I would be careful about that "order to get paid" stuff. It could even be that she has to turn in documents, but wants you to get them done on her behalf, so tells you that. It wouldn't be the first time that I've seen that done. They could however want you to turn in papers as part of your duties, but not as criteria to get paid.

I read that contract front to back multiple times, and I don't recall it mentioning the "you must turn in documents to get paid" aspect. And yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm being had here and that you're right.

Actual vent for the vent thread from me instead of endless bitching (sorry guys)

Yesterday my MT told me I needed to turn in the worksheets with the attendance sheet for my pay at the end of the month.

Today my MT told me that I need to turn in the attendance sheet, and worksheets and I need to take photos during class of the kids doing work/videos of them speaking English and turn them in.

I asked why, because that's an odd request. She said "It is for your...achievement. It is also....my achievement."

...What? Your achievement? You haven't done anything for me! You didn't help me get my Korean phone number, you aren't helping me get my online banking set up, you don't do anything for me in terms of making my life easier. What achievement have you earned? You don't even print papers for me anymore.

So now, I have to teach 80 minute classes with no CoT and no textbook, I have to force worksheets and now play paparazzi in my class for my, no wait, our achievement. Godspeed future me, good luck on getting photos/videos and worksheets from 16 3rd graders who won't sit down long enough for me to say "Hello class!"

I'm probably coming off really fking bratty right now. But this makes no sense to me on why I have to solo everything and benefit someone else. Is this normal?? Am I being unreasonable?

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #7687 on: March 29, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
Welcome to Korea! My first co-teacher was like that. Don't let her walk over you - as you've said, you've read your contract multiple times so you know what is expected of you. Anything 'beyond the call of duty' and I'd call her out on it. For example, the photos - say you're too busy teaching / managing the students. Suggest if she wants some photos of the class maybe she can take them herself?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7688 on: March 29, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »
Bingsu, are these regular classes or after-school classes?

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7689 on: March 29, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
I'm all after school classes Mon-Fri. I know I can't complain too much since others have it a lot worse but I just feel exhausted. It feels like every time I ask for their help or for a CoT, they just add something else for me to do. I guess asking for help results in the bureaucratic method of telling me to shut up.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7690 on: March 29, 2018, 10:02:27 PM »
You're not being unreasonable at all. Is your "MT" a licensed public school teacher or someone working for a private company that supplies after-school classes?

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7691 on: March 30, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »
@ Bingsu: There's nothing unreasonable about your expectations. What you're asking for is the bare minimum. Just because someone else has it worse than you doesn't mean you're not allowed to have it better. Believing otherwise is like telling someone they should be grateful for only being made to cut off one hand over being forced to cut off two. Don't let anyone try to talk you down from expecting that you shouldn't have to do either. While it's true that you'll need to develop a thick skin and learn to pick your battles, you should be on the offense over anything regarding your pay and major components of your contract. There are people all over the world who'll try to take advantage of any perceived weakness, and the fact that you're a foreigner here makes you an easy target to those who don't know the law, don't care about the law, or who believe YOU don't know your own rights. Standing up for yourself is a necessity. The only thing that really differs from here to there in that regard is tactics and methods.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:30:14 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7692 on: March 30, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »
It never fails to blow my mind whenever I come across a student who forgets that I'm an adult with life experiences beyond their own, and that I'm more educated than they are because they're still in ****** middle school. The arrogance of some kids at this age is beyond just a phase, I swear to gawd.  :cry: :laugh:

Makes for some really hilarious moments whenever I beat them at their own games, though. xD

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7693 on: March 30, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »
It never fails to blow my mind whenever I come across a student who forgets that I'm an adult with life experiences beyond their own, and that I'm more educated than they are because they're still in ****** middle school. The arrogance of some kids at this age is beyond just a phase, I swear to gawd.  :cry: :laugh:

Makes for some really hilarious moments whenever I beat them at their own games, though. xD

Go on.......................... I smell a juicy anecdote.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7694 on: March 30, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »
It drives me nuts when one kid will be talking to another kid relatively quietly and discreetly, and then 5 other kids will scream out
"조용히해~~~~~!!!!!"

Like, dammit, you are being 10 times louder and 30 times more annoying than the other kid. STFU.

So annoying. And they always say it in the whiniest voice.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7695 on: March 30, 2018, 12:03:13 PM »

These are the same kids who will get a hard slap from reality when they actually have to grow up.
The World Ends With You

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7696 on: March 30, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »
Go on.......................... I smell a juicy anecdote.

Sorry, really can't, I have coTs who get on this site and they would know exactly who I am, and I like having my Clark Kent persona kept alive.

I will say that one of my students thinks he's a literal genius, but that a certain something that's meant to be kept on the down-low absolutely proves that he is, in fact, just a Korean Pauly Shore. Let your imagination run wild.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7697 on: March 30, 2018, 12:49:08 PM »

These are the same kids who will get a hard slap from reality when they actually have to grow up.

No, these are the same kids who hole up in PC rooms to binge-play LoL or Overwatch, troll around on forum boards to vent their frustrations because ****-it-that's-why, then go on to blame specific groups or humanity in general for their own shortcomings. They never grow up because nothing is ever their fault.

That, or they're coming from enough money that being told your shit is made of gold is somehow a fact of life.

I actually feel sorry for a couple of them, though. They're good kids, just spoiled as **** and way too sheltered.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7698 on: March 30, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »
i must have accidentally left a fan on low setting after i left the classroom last night.

there was just a 4 teacher meeting with the principal and the korean teacher who i teach with in my after school program to find out what happened. now i am, apparently, in "big trouble". err sorry guys, i'll pay the 50won electricity fee if that's what the problem is  :rolleyes:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7699 on: March 30, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »
i must have accidentally left a fan on low setting after i left the classroom last night.

there was just a 4 teacher meeting with the principal and the korean teacher who i teach with in my after school program to find out what happened. now i am, apparently, in "big trouble". err sorry guys, i'll pay the 50won electricity fee if that's what the problem is  :rolleyes:

You left a fan on at night?

You could've killed someone!