November 18, 2018, 05:51:40 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1167127 times)

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7640 on: April 06, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »
The Jisan Valley Rock Festival has been cancelled for this year.
The already miniscule amount of international acts that come here just got smaller for the year.

this festival has been mired in mis-management for ages. it was already cancelled one year before recently - i think 2014 or 2015 - because they couldn't pull their finger out.

last time i went was 2016, turn out was good. but each year the lineup has been getting worse and worse too.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7641 on: April 06, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »
Some Summer Sonic acts play side shows here sometimes.
Though the line up doesn't have anything super exciting. Except Mastodon. Maybe Beck. But he was here pretty recently.

Beck, Chance and QotSA are pretty huge.

St. Vincent, Tame Impala and Paramore all have pretty huge fanbases, too.

But yeah - it's underwhelming.

the summer sonic lineup is actually mega.

Noel Gallagher, the Charlatans, Friendly Fires, Bloody Beetroots, Bullet for My Valentine, Mike Shinoda.

And .... Nickelcrap.

NINE INCH NAILS are playing at Summer Sonic Osaka. Flying Lotus too. holy crap. might try jet over there this year.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7642 on: April 06, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
that jisan 2012 lineup was amazing

stone roses and radiohead

anyone else go to that?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7643 on: April 09, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »
The woman in the office is like it's lunch time let's go. I should be happy, i know, but I'm not 73 years old and I don't eat lunch at 11:45 on weekdays.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7644 on: April 09, 2018, 11:56:53 AM »
Is it just me or is there a "giving up" culture here? It seems like everyone is quicker to give up than to try anything they either deem difficult or don't quite understand.

Easiest example is obviously students with English (Especially in the countryside schools). But in other situations it seems to be the case as well. When I was with several friends in Seoul, one restaurant almost didn't allow us in (despite having seats available) because they didn't want to deal with the "struggle" of serving English-speaking foreigners (that, or they were racist).
The World Ends With You

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7645 on: April 09, 2018, 12:02:19 PM »
The woman in the office is like it's lunch time let's go. I should be happy, i know, but I'm not 73 years old and I don't eat lunch at 11:45 on weekdays.

I donít get it.

What does age have to do with it?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7646 on: April 09, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »

I donít get it.

Everything.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7647 on: April 09, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
Is it just me or is there a "giving up" culture here? It seems like everyone is quicker to give up than to try anything they either deem difficult or don't quite understand.

Easiest example is obviously students with English (Especially in the countryside schools). But in other situations it seems to be the case as well. When I was with several friends in Seoul, one restaurant almost didn't allow us in (despite having seats available) because they didn't want to deal with the "struggle" of serving English-speaking foreigners (that, or they were racist).

I think people in general have a tendency to give up when there are no negative consequences for doing so. Unfortunately for English teachers here, English class is one situation where there are no real consequences for not trying. I've been trying for years to impress it upon my students that I'd much rather they try and get the answer wrong than not try at all, but it just isn't sticking. Even for textbook exercises that are multiple choice, I can walk around the classroom and find several students who didn't even bother to circle random answers just to make it even look like they tried. It's...   frustrating.

I wonder if it isn't more or less the same thing for cases like denial of service for foreigners. If a restaurant denied service to foreigners in the US, the ACLU would be breathing down their neck faster than you could say "DAS RACISS." In Korea, not so much. That does seem to be improving here, though, for what it's worth.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7648 on: April 09, 2018, 12:39:01 PM »
You two are too old to realise that old people eat lunch at 11am and dinner before 5pm.  :laugh:  :P

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7649 on: April 09, 2018, 12:43:23 PM »

I donít get it.

Neither do I.  If I have no fourth period class then I'll have my lunch at 11:30, probably because I'm a little bored.  I kind of like to eat lunch early, and I usually always have dinner about 5pm.  During the holidays, we had a family gathering and my sister was against booking the restaurant for 5pm because 'it was too early for dinner'.  I equally don't understand my wife or Koreans on their dinner eating/midnight snack policy.  My wife will have dinner anytime from 6pm-1am, and my students regularly eat chicken or other delivery food before bed.

Growing up in Canada, supper was when Dad got home... so 6ish.  I suspect Korean dads get home later.

Lunch? Whenever the company lunch break is.

OP: Still not seeing a tie to age, but my wife (Canadian) asks ďBingo night?Ē if I suggest an early supper, as homage to her late grandmother.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7650 on: April 09, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »

I've noticed this too, it's no coincidence that China has the same issue. Since Korea pretty much owes 90% of it's culture to China and shares the same philosophy (Confucianism), they probably inherited it. Anyways, the Chinese call it "Mei Ban Fa", which literally translates to 'no solution', it's kind of the western equivalent of 'c'est la vie' or 'sh*t happens'.

'Mei Ban Fa" has become abused in recent times as a socially acceptable way to simply not be arsed to solve a problem. Remember, out the box thinking is still something many Chinese and Korean people struggle with as it's not encouraged as a Confucianist virtue so, some Chinese and Korean folks will simply give up if the obvious method/approach they've been taught fails to work. Furthermore combining the Confucianism thought of not challenging authority and the hardships during the cultural revolution, 'Mei Ban Fa' is a big reason of why authority is never undermined and people are content with accepting their hardships instead of rising above it.

Finally, liability is absolutely comical and ridiculous here. Rightly so, establishments and institutions in Korea will put ridiculous rules in place. The reason is to avoid liability.

- You get in an accident while walking down the road on Monday at 4:28PM... schools fault.
- Want to go for a swim at the beach. 1ft waves are too dangerous and lifeguards will call you out.

To westerners, this seems absolutely ludicrous, but personal responsibility is still a western cultural import for the most part.
While things are changing, the laws are the most archaic and stubborn to change, probably not enough pressure from civil society... Mei Ban Fa?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:46:24 PM by Aristocrat »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7651 on: April 09, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »
This makes me angry. And now you are angry, too.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7652 on: April 09, 2018, 01:26:10 PM »
I'd love to eat lunch at around 11 - 12 PM because I'm usually hungry as hell by then. I'm practically gnawing on my desk. If I didn't have my little snacks in between, I'd probably ****** riot.

No one should have to go through this.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7653 on: April 09, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »

I donít get it.

Neither do I.  If I have no fourth period class then I'll have my lunch at 11:30, probably because I'm a little bored.  I kind of like to eat lunch early, and I usually always have dinner about 5pm.  During the holidays, we had a family gathering and my sister was against booking the restaurant for 5pm because 'it was too early for dinner'.  I equally don't understand my wife or Koreans on their dinner eating/midnight snack policy.  My wife will have dinner anytime from 6pm-1am, and my students regularly eat chicken or other delivery food before bed.
Yeah, our lunch break at school is at 11:35. I'm not a huge fan of that early because I'm not as hungry then, but it is what it is.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7654 on: April 09, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »
I'd love to eat lunch at around 11 - 12 PM because I'm usually hungry as hell by then. I'm practically gnawing on my desk. If I didn't have my little snacks in between, I'd probably ****** riot.

No one should have to go through this.

I use to eat at 11:30 sometimes if I didn't have a class during that period when I was in Middle School?  Elementary, the classes get crammed into the mornings and I never get to eat like that early.  Today had 5 in a row and ate after 1 pm.  I do not like doing all my classes in a block.  I wish they'd spread them out like they do in middle school. 

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7655 on: April 09, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
lunchtime is 1230pm here. But teachers who don't work the before lunch period, have lunch from 12pm.

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7656 on: April 11, 2018, 02:11:01 PM »
I don't understand. Students seemed to get punished for the weirdest things here. Some girls at my second school were crying in the halls, and were ACTUALLY BEING PUNISHED for calling a delivery to the school auditorium. That actually makes sense but I didn't expect such a harsh reaction. And today, one student put his feet on the desk and my co-teacher was livid to the point of stopping my class.

But ya know, ignoring the English teacher and talking during the lesson are just fine.  :undecided:
The World Ends With You

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #7657 on: April 11, 2018, 05:28:29 PM »
I don't understand. Students seemed to get punished for the weirdest things here. Some girls at my second school were crying in the halls, and were ACTUALLY BEING PUNISHED for calling a delivery to the school auditorium. That actually makes sense but I didn't expect such a harsh reaction. And today, one student put his feet on the desk and my co-teacher was livid to the point of stopping my class.

But ya know, ignoring the English teacher and talking during the lesson are just fine.  :undecided:

That does seem a little bit harsh  :shocked:

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7658 on: April 11, 2018, 05:35:52 PM »

I've noticed that. Things in my class are just responded to with "hahah yeah kids will be kids!!" but they screw up elsewhere and it's like "you must scrub the classroom on your knees for your insolence."

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #7659 on: April 11, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »

I've noticed that. Things in my class are just responded to with "hahah yeah kids will be kids!!" but they screw up elsewhere and it's like "you must scrub the classroom on your knees for your insolence."

Do they actually make their students do that? I've only seen such cases in movies  :huh: