July 19, 2018, 04:35:38 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1039334 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7640 on: March 14, 2018, 03:35:38 PM »
I used to like bibimbap, but now I kind of hate it? I think it's because it's used as a cheap lunch option, but I'm also over the gochujang and lack of protein. If I'm going to be eating veggies and rice as an entire meal, I think I'd rather just flavor the rice with soy sauce and sesame oil instead of an either bland or overly salty pepper paste.

Seriously, I'm eating it like twice a week, and I hate it.

I'm wondering if I'll get too much side-eye if I bring in my own condiments and meat for bibimbap days.

I say go for it! Our Korean lives are too short to spend them on eating bad bibimbap. I still like it, but that's because I have it maybe twice a year. And even then, it comes with more than just an egg and some carrots and spinach.

Right? xD

I'm gonna try it next week, get me some small travel bottles for my sauces first.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7641 on: March 14, 2018, 04:24:44 PM »
I used to like bibimbap, but now I kind of hate it? I think it's because it's used as a cheap lunch option, but I'm also over the gochujang and lack of protein. If I'm going to be eating veggies and rice as an entire meal, I think I'd rather just flavor the rice with soy sauce and sesame oil instead of an either bland or overly salty pepper paste.

I'm wondering if I'll get too much side-eye if I bring in my own condiments and meat for bibimbap days.

I say go for it! Our Korean lives are too short to spend them on eating bad bibimbap. I still like it, but that's because I have it maybe twice a year. And even then, it comes with more than just an egg and some carrots and spinach.

Right? xD

I'm gonna try it next week, get me some small travel bottles for my sauces first.

Id go with the 5 liter Costco size, just to make the point; and because others might want to hit you up for a splash.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7642 on: March 14, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »

Right? xD

Id go with the 5 liter Costco size, just to make the point; and because others might want to hit you up for a splash.
Bring some small travel bottles of "condiments" to flavour up those horrible juices they serve with that horrible lunch. Makes everything better.

...while I love costco, I would recommend against bringing the 5 litre Costco size...

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7643 on: March 14, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »

Right? xD

I've always preferred the soy sauce/sesame oil combo!  That's how I had bibimbap as a kid.  I've still never developed much of a taste for the flavor of gochujang nor spicy food in general.  \_(ツ)_/ 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7644 on: March 15, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »

Right? xD

I've always preferred the soy sauce/sesame oil combo!  That's how I had bibimbap as a kid.  I've still never developed much of a taste for the flavor of gochujang nor spicy food in general.  \_(ツ)_/
I like gochujang just fine, but it does need some help sometimes, and I also would prefer the seasame/soy.

Daiso has little travel sized shampoo kits that would be perfect for it!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7645 on: March 15, 2018, 10:06:47 AM »

Right? xD

I like gochujang just fine, but it does need some help sometimes, and I also would prefer the seasame/soy.

Daiso has little travel sized shampoo kits that would be perfect for it!

A good gochu sauce should actually be mixed with soy sauce and sesame oil! And maybe some other things I can't remember. If they're serving up plain gochujang then that's pretty basic.  :lipsrsealed:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7646 on: March 15, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »
Blargh, it's manure season again.

And yeah, I usually end up with really terribly prepared gochujang. Usually no seasonings, or just salt added.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7647 on: March 15, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
Blargh, it's manure season again.

And yeah, I usually end up with really terribly prepared gochujang. Usually no seasonings, or just salt added.

I prefer the unfortunate odor of manure to the stench of human filth.

Living in a big city has been an adjustment  :P

Offline Andyman

• Veteran
« Reply #7648 on: March 15, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »
My wife has coeliac disease and often brings gluten-free soy sauce or tamari in a little container when we go out, and sometimes makes a gochujang / seasame / soy mixture. We try to be discreet about it but it's not always possible and we probably look weird. Still, as HaLo3 said, our Korean lives are too short to get hung up on it. Maybe the locals will be intrigued by our exotic foreign behaviors.

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7649 on: March 16, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
I really hate the smell of Diesel fumes. It seems like diesel is quite popular here. One thing that makes it worse is that big trucks and buses have the exhaust pipe down low at the rear of the vehicle about 3 feet off the ground. This means that when you stop behind a bus in your car you get a big waft of Diesel coming through your vents. Anyway I don't like it but i can live with turning off the fan in the car for a while but why don't they have the same design as in Australia where all trucks and buses have a vertical exaust pipe that sends the fumes up high above the roof of the vehicle and above head hight when walking around near bus stops and construction sites. It really makes a difference. I am sensitive to smells.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7650 on: March 19, 2018, 09:42:26 AM »
It's Monday.

I had a nose-pad fall off my favourite glasses this morning. Then I dropped my Merkur razor, and it broke.

Waiting for the 3rd thing.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7651 on: March 19, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
I really hate the smell of Diesel fumes. It seems like diesel is quite popular here. One thing that makes it worse is that big trucks and buses have the exhaust pipe down low at the rear of the vehicle about 3 feet off the ground. This means that when you stop behind a bus in your car you get a big waft of Diesel coming through your vents. Anyway I don't like it but i can live with turning off the fan in the car for a while but why don't they have the same design as in Australia where all trucks and buses have a vertical exaust pipe that sends the fumes up high above the roof of the vehicle and above head hight when walking around near bus stops and construction sites. It really makes a difference. I am sensitive to smells.

For the same reason as trucks can drive at speeds in excess of 120kmh on the highway. Nobody gives a **** about health and safety or the environment if they aren't profiting.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7652 on: March 19, 2018, 10:50:59 AM »
I went running on the mountain trails near my apartment yesterday.

Beautiful weather!
Breath taking views (literally breathtaking on bad air-quality days, unfortunately)!
I was the only human being on the trails! Peace, solitude, and serenity!
High-grass and leafy mulch to crunch through!
Nice to be out exercising!

Also, ticks. Ticks everywhere.
I got back home from my run, and had a good half-dozen ticks crawling up my legs.
Just a reminder to all you folks out there that get out and actually leave your apartments every once in a while to enjoy the outdoors: tick season has definitely started! :sad:

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7653 on: March 19, 2018, 11:13:06 AM »
Spent about twenty minutes trying to get a taxi to work this morning to avoid walking through a rice farm in the rain to get to work (like I usually do... but it's not so bad when it isn't raining). Also, the air quality here is pretty bad today, so I wanted to avoid that. Tried KakaoTaxi.... tried calling.... even tried throwing on my mask and standing outside with an umbrella hoping a 빈차 taxi would drive by.... no such luck. After about 20 minutes, I was now late for work and had to ride my bike in the rain to get there without being RIDICULOUSLY late. I showed up looking like a swamp witch. Happy Monday!

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7654 on: March 19, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
Spent about twenty minutes trying to get a taxi to work this morning to avoid walking through a rice farm in the rain to get to work (like I usually do... but it's not so bad when it isn't raining). Also, the air quality here is pretty bad today, so I wanted to avoid that. Tried KakaoTaxi.... tried calling.... even tried throwing on my mask and standing outside with an umbrella hoping a 빈차 taxi would drive by.... no such luck. After about 20 minutes, I was now late for work and had to ride my bike in the rain to get there without being RIDICULOUSLY late. I showed up looking like a swamp witch. Happy Monday!

Gotta flesh a wad of Sejongs bro!

Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7655 on: March 19, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »

To help, switch your air fan mode to circulating only inside air, then you won't get the exhaust coming in. I do this when it is busy or when I am in city traffic (which is most of the time).

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7656 on: March 19, 2018, 12:33:58 PM »
At my main middle school, classes are separated by gender, so all of my classes are either all boys or all girls. Usually, the all-girls classes are much better behaved than the boys, so I look forward to teaching them, while dreading the all-boys classes.

When I got my schedule this year, I saw that Mondays are nothing but 2nd and 3rd grade girls classes and thought "Score, I know what my favorite day of the week is going to be this year." However, one of the 3rd grade girls' classes apparently didn't get the memo about how they're better behaved than the boys. I've never finished an all-girls class in so foul a mood as I was in when I finished that one today.

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7657 on: March 19, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
To help, switch your air fan mode to circulating only inside air, then you won't get the exhaust coming in. I do this when it is busy or when I am in city traffic (which is most of the time).

Yes i do this too many times. Actually i am always playing with the dash when i drive switching modes on everything like i am a pilot or something. haha.

Offline kapusta

• Veteran
« Reply #7658 on: March 19, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »
It's Monday.

I had a nose-pad fall off my favourite glasses this morning. Then I dropped my Merkur razor, and it broke.

I sympathize. I've had my favourite sunglasses for about 15 years, and I'll be sad when something finally breaks on them that can't be repaired.

Also always wanted a Merkur but I'm afraid it's one of those things I'd by and then end up just going back to disposables.

Nope. You would never go back to disposables after the real deal. Just go for it.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7659 on: March 19, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »
It's Monday.

I sympathize. I've had my favourite sunglasses for about 15 years, and I'll be sad when something finally breaks on them that can't be repaired.

Also always wanted a Merkur but I'm afraid it's one of those things I'd by and then end up just going back to disposables.

Nope. You would never go back to disposables after the real deal. Just go for it.

Correct.

It took me 2 disposables to finish the job.

I ordered a new Merkur before getting dressed. Gmarket has a selection starting at about 50 000.