May 28, 2018, 03:23:40 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 935068 times)

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7580 on: February 23, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »
No. The decision was made as a result of looking at the calendar. Four days of classes, so you have to come back and desk warm. Idiotic. Stupid.

Again, STOP BEING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE AND HAVE SOME COMMON SENSE!!!

Where's the common sense in the VP taking on risk to help you out when you could fly the coop and owe him nothing?

Only an idiot would do that without some kind of personal connection or establishment of trust.

Flying the coop with 8 weeks left on a public school contract in which I will be owed upwards of 10 million Won...... righhhht! I don't think I even register on the VP's radar. I'm 99% certain the decision was made by the head English teacher after looking at the school's calendar. Stop with the insurance angle; as mentioned, other teachers have had the full 24 days off.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7581 on: February 23, 2018, 11:02:02 AM »

Flying the coop with 8 weeks left on a public school contract in which I will be owed upwards of 10 million Won...... righhhht! I don't think I even register on the VP's radar. I'm 99% certain the decision was made by the head English teacher after looking at the school's calendar. Stop with the insurance angle; as mentioned, other teachers have had the full 24 days off.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. You signed the contract. You agreed to be there. You have ZERO right to complain. If I was your boss I'd try to work something out, but if I couldn't and there was some issue where you had to come in and desk warm and you still complained, I'd hand you a bucket and a tooth brush.

You are getting paid decent money to sit in a chair and watch Netflix. How in the world can you whine and moan about that?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7582 on: February 23, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
You are getting paid decent money to sit in a chair and watch Netflix. How in the world can you whine and moan about that?
Because it's time and money being wasted.
We see it, and our coworkers definitely see it. We're not at fault for any of this, obviously, but others look at us sitting around doing nothing and can't help but note what a waste of resources we are. This reflects poorly on us, and can influence how others judge the NET programme in general.
    Why in the name of all that's holy would people want to throw money into a programme that is paying folk to binge-watch netflix or whatever? If I were a Korean teacher, these deskwarming periods would definitely cause me to question the worth of the NET programme.

I, personally, would much rather be working during this time. Or, barring that, send me home with reduced pay. Or heck, just send me home *with* pay: out of sight, out of mind. Forcing NETs to deskwarm is the Ministry of Education messily cutting its own throat insofar as their foreign teacher policies are concerned. :sad:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7583 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »
So I remembered to bring my stuff to work today.

But now I'm finding out that some of my crafting "equipment" has been damaged, and I've lost all motivation to get any work done today.

This is destiny because it's Friday, and I should have known better.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Veteran
« Reply #7584 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
So I remembered to bring my stuff to work today.

But now I'm finding out that some of my crafting "equipment" has been damaged, and I've lost all motivation to get any work done today.

This is destiny because it's Friday, and I should have known better.

Holy crap! It is Friday! I totally thought it was Thursday for some reason!

Thanks for helping to perk me up, Chinguetti!  XD

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7585 on: February 23, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »

Look, I don't know what to tell you. You signed the contract. You agreed to be there. You have ZERO right to complain. If I was your boss I'd try to work something out, but if I couldn't and there was some issue where you had to come in and desk warm and you still complained, I'd hand you a bucket and a tooth brush.

How about you keep your mouth shut, and fingers away from the keyboard!  You have no clue what you are talkig about, and like every other topic you are pushing nothing more than an OPINION onto others.  You have no idea why some teachers come in, and others don't.  Why do you always have to defend the indefensible?  Korea will not crumble if you fail to defend the honour of principals and vice principals who delight in mild racism to get them through their mundane lives.

Seriously dude, you have made over 4000 posts, and only about 7 are worth reading.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7586 on: February 23, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »
Holy crap! It is Friday! I totally thought it was Thursday for some reason!

Thanks for helping to perk me up, Chinguetti!  XD

Just doing my part. Happy Friday ~!

Offline parkerynp

• Adventurer
« Reply #7587 on: February 23, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »
Because it's time and money being wasted.
We see it, and our coworkers definitely see it. We're not at fault for any of this, obviously, but others look at us sitting around doing nothing and can't help but note what a waste of resources we are. This reflects poorly on us, and can influence how others judge the NET programme in general.
    Why in the name of all that's holy would people want to throw money into a programme that is paying folk to binge-watch netflix or whatever? If I were a Korean teacher, these deskwarming periods would definitely cause me to question the worth of the NET programme.

I, personally, would much rather be working during this time. Or, barring that, send me home with reduced pay. Or heck, just send me home *with* pay: out of sight, out of mind. Forcing NETs to deskwarm is the Ministry of Education messily cutting its own throat insofar as their foreign teacher policies are concerned.

This is probably the best explanation I've ever read (and I've read a lot) on the useless time spent on desk warming. Very thorough and well thought out. Especially concerning how actual Korean teachers perceive the NET program and the NET.

On the other hand...Mr. D has a point. Signed a contract and you gotta fulfill your contract. PS teachers coming here for the first time aren't told what their duties will be, the lay out of the schedule, or how their time will be spent. And yet they sign the contract (myself included). We are getting paid to post random shit on a forum that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. I used to be a housekeeping manager. Time could be spent deep cleaning hotel rooms or toilets. Watching and reading the intricacies of the Mueller investigation is awesome. Esp being paid for it :)

The problem arises when NET (and this includes myself) start reflecting on how much better the NET program could be run. On how things could be way more efficient. On how the English language could be taught way more effectively. Desk warming is time spent by people who mostly (generally speaking) like being productive with their time. And not "organizing files" productive. Not "cleaning the classroom" productive. NET know how shit (books, classrooms, teaching methods etc) changes on a dime here so why spend time on organizing teaching files when the next NET has a TOTALLY different teaching style?

Essentially...Mr. D is right is exclaiming his annoyance at people complaining about getting paid to chill and people complaining about how stupid Desk warming is are right to feel upset about being used as a pawn.

Except for the person who was brought back from abroad for 4 days. That person got screwed over royally for no reason.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7588 on: February 23, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
You have no clue what you are talkig about...You have no idea why some teachers come in, and others don't...principals and vice principals who delight in mild racism to get them through their mundane lives.

Accuses me of not knowing what I am talking about, issues blanket accusation of racism against people he's never met.

Blaming people you've never met based on what, their ethnicity? Isn't that "mild racism"?

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7589 on: February 23, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »
I'l write in point form as paragraphs don't seem to be understood.

It's pretty much a given that NETs leave Korea in their hoildays.
No one forced me to take a holiday abroad, but seeing family once a year is pretty much normal when living abroad.
NETs are given around 24 days.
I was asked to spilt my holiday of 24 day to return to Korea for 4 effin days to desk warm.
I had NO CLASSES in these 4 days.
This is a very ignorant thing to do.
I was then given 10 days off to complete my 24 days.
The clause in the contract is something like "vacation can't interrupt the smooth running of the school"
Sitting at a desk for 4 days does not affect "the smooth running of the school".
Other NETs can have the full 24 days off, so the insurance argument is crap.
My gripe is NOT about desk warming. I signed the contract and I know 100% that desk warming is part of the deal.
This IS about having to come back to Korea for 4 days to do NOTHING and then be given 10 days off.
This is NOT about insurance; it's pure bureaucracy and zero ability to step into someone else's shoes.
Please no more "would you rather be digging ditches" comments.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7590 on: February 23, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
You have no clue what you are talkig about...You have no idea why some teachers come in, and others don't...principals and vice principals who delight in mild racism to get them through their mundane lives.

Accuses me of not knowing what I am talking about, issues blanket accusation of racism against people he's never met.

Blaming people you've never met based on what, their ethnicity? Isn't that "mild racism"?

Siding with Korea against all other ethnicities?, isn't that severe racism?

Online SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #7591 on: February 23, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
You'll just have to let Steelderails get away with this one.

If you've never done hard, manual labour for 20 hours a day in the sweltering sun before, not served your country, a non smoker, don't swig whiskey from the bottle while checking your fantasy football results, not a dick waving Trump supporting republican and most importantly; complain about Korea then you are not a real man.

We will just have to accept it. We are betas. We are wrong

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7592 on: February 23, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
If you've never done hard, manual labour for 20 hours a day in the sweltering sun before, not served your country, a non smoker, don't swig whiskey from the bottle while checking your fantasy football results, not a dick waving Trump supporting republican and most importantly; complain about Korea then you are not a real man

And organise your whole life though your smart phone in Korean  :smiley:

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7593 on: February 23, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
Why are there so often so many guys in the public bathrooms cleaning their teeth, washing their face, blowing their nose in the sink and coughing up blood? Man it's disgusting. Gets me pretty moody especially when I am a bit tired and hungry. If I clean my teeth at the sink at least I move away so others can get in. I don't know what happens in the female nathrooms but I think it would probably be more civilized than this. 

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7594 on: February 23, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
Internet explorer is so crap. I am at a public library. Log into Facebook because I needed the full Facebook site. Try to log out and it doesn't display the log out settings button. So I install chrome to see if I can find it and it's there on chrome and I can log out. I go back to IE and it's still logged in. I delete all the stupid toolbars and I still can't get to then top of the page to log out. So I restart the computer and then use chrome that I had to install. Problem fixed now but wasted a lot of time. Bye.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7595 on: February 23, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »
Why are there so often so many guys in the public bathrooms cleaning their teeth, washing their face, blowing their nose in the sink and coughing up blood? Man it's disgusting. Gets me pretty moody especially when I am a bit tired and hungry. If I clean my teeth at the sink at least I move away so others can get in. I don't know what happens in the female nathrooms but I think it would probably be more civilized than this.

Yeah, I've lived in 10 countries and this place is the most extreme for crowding in public toilets. I don't know whether there aren't enough of them or Korean men like to go more often but they're nearly always full. It's incredibly rare to go into one and find no one there.   

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7596 on: February 24, 2018, 04:42:18 PM »
this came up in my suggested videos on youtube.

right on cue with regards to the whole deskwarming argument:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7597 on: February 25, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
No one forced me to take a holiday abroad, but seeing family once a year is pretty much normal when living abroad.

Going home to see your family is not a right. It is what you chose to do with your vacation time. You can't be upset with your school because they "only" gave you 14 days to visit your family (which in fact is not what they did- they gave you 14 days vacation time and then 10 days as they were contractually obligated to do).

SCHOOL WAS IN SESSION!!!

Why oh why did they split my holidays by bringing me back from abroad for 4 effin days of deskwarming!!!! 4 days!!!!  I mean, I did absolutley nothing in those 4 days. Zilch!!!! The kids were eating pizza and watching movies but I had to come back as I had to "work".

Absolutely you had to be there. We're not talking 4 days when school wasn't in session and there were no camps. You had students coming to school as part of the school calendar year.

Sorry, you have zero leg to stand on. This job doesn't exist to provide you a travel experience and time off with family. Your purpose for being here is not to explore the world. Your purpose here is to fulfill the terms of your contract and that means being at work during the school year.

Other VPs chose to do that and assume the risk. They can do that. They will also suffer the consequences if something goes wrong.

YOU CANNOT BLAME SOMEONE FOR NOT WANTING TO ACCEPT RISK TO THEMSELVES.

This is NOT about insurance; it's pure bureaucracy and zero ability to step into someone else's shoes.

AGAIN, YOU ARE THE ONE NOT STEPPING INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES.
YOU ARE THE ONLY LOOKING AT THIS THROUGH YOUR SELFISH PERSPECTIVE.

You don't even realize how you are selfish and how you are failing to step into someone else's shoes.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7598 on: February 26, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »

Going home to see your family is not a right. It is what you chose to do with your vacation time. You can't be upset with your school because they "only" gave you 14 days to visit your family (which in fact is not what they did- they gave you 14 days vacation time and then 10 days as they were contractually obligated to do).

SCHOOL WAS IN SESSION!!!

Why oh why did they split my holidays by bringing me back from abroad for 4 effin days of deskwarming!!!! 4 days!!!!  I mean, I did absolutley nothing in those 4 days. Zilch!!!! The kids were eating pizza and watching movies but I had to come back as I had to "work".

Absolutely you had to be there. We're not talking 4 days when school wasn't in session and there were no camps. You had students coming to school as part of the school calendar year.

Sorry, you have zero leg to stand on. This job doesn't exist to provide you a travel experience and time off with family. Your purpose for being here is not to explore the world. Your purpose here is to fulfill the terms of your contract and that means being at work during the school year.

Other VPs chose to do that and assume the risk. They can do that. They will also suffer the consequences if something goes wrong.

YOU CANNOT BLAME SOMEONE FOR NOT WANTING TO ACCEPT RISK TO THEMSELVES.

AGAIN, YOU ARE THE ONE NOT STEPPING INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES.
YOU ARE THE ONLY LOOKING AT THIS THROUGH YOUR SELFISH PERSPECTIVE.

You don't even realize how you are selfish and how you are failing to step into someone else's shoes.

Have you ever had yourself checked for autism? Just saying.

Article 14. (Paid leave). If the requested vacation period intereferes with the smooth operation of the programming of the school or institute, the Employer and the Employee shall negotiate an altenative vacation date(s) during the vacation.

I had no classes; therefore, my absence in no way affected the smooth running of the school.

As I've said several times, other schools allow their NETs to have their winter holiday without the need the come back.

The decision was based purely on a look at the calander. This had nothing to do wih risk. Stop talking about risk. I was allowed out at lunchtime to go to the shops last week without the need to enter my absence from the school into the computer system. There was risk in this, but luckily at least the head teacher has a little sense and flexibility.

I've never experienced this level of stupidity and bureaucracy anywhere in the workplace apart from Korea, and, for the record, I've done the rounds in Asia. This is really something else.

Talking about being selfish and stepping into someone else's shoes in this context is simply beyond me. What planet do you live on?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7599 on: February 26, 2018, 08:35:21 AM »
This had nothing to do with risk. Stop talking about risk. I was allowed out at lunchtime to go to the shops last week without the need to enter my absence from the school into the computer system. There was risk in this, but luckily at least the head teacher has a little sense and flexibility.

I hate this shit. I'm 32 and I've been here for 5 years. I don't need to be held and asked if I can cross the street by myself.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018