July 20, 2018, 05:30:45 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1040947 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7500 on: February 07, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »
Scientists: Climate change could release toxic mercury
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/scientists-climate-change-could-release-toxic-mercury/article_dc8955ec-250b-57ed-85f4-eca7192c40da.html
Permafrost also contains large volumes of mercury, a toxic element humans have already been pumping into the air by burning coal.
Once the permafrost starts melting, mercury will be the least of our worries. Once the methane cladates start venting in earnest, our atmosphere is rapidly gonna shift towards something a lot like Venus's. Hopefully we'll have our colonies on Mars up and running by then!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:44:26 AM by kyndo »

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7501 on: February 07, 2018, 02:32:39 PM »
*playing a Jeopardy game. answer written in the ppt is "She's a teacher."*

Student 1: "She is a teacher."
*switch to answer slide, give team the points*
Student 2: "No! It says 'She's'! He said 'She is'! He is wrong!"

I can appreciate competitiveness, and there is a time and place for being super picky about semantics. But seriously? The question was "What job does she do?", not anything about contractions. Calm down.

My kids are super picky about that as well. I usually give the team points if they're close to the answer. But my kids like to play teacher and insist that I must listen to them. I've started leaving the answers out of the powerpoints. That way it can be whatever I want it to be. It's funny though how they'll be so strict about other team's points but the moment it's their turn they ask the teacher to be nice and just give it to them.
For each lesson, I have a PPT with ten or twelve target sentences on a slide at the end. 

I give a class one warning when it comes to this kind of thing (teachers are the judges and all decisions are final); the second time there are complaints, I pull up that PPT and the whole class copies sentences until the end of the period. It's pretty effective.

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7502 on: February 07, 2018, 02:41:52 PM »
Just saw a woman walking with a child who looked 2 years old or less.  Walked to the car, open the back door,  place child on back seat, no safety measures, not even a seat belt, close the door, get in front seat PUT ON HER SEATBELT and drive away.  As long as you are safe love!

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7503 on: February 07, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »
Just saw a woman walking with a child who looked 2 years old or less.  Walked to the car, open the back door,  place child on back seat, no safety measures, not even a seat belt, close the door, get in front seat PUT ON HER SEATBELT and drive away.  As long as you are safe love!

Did it have the magical “Baby in Car” sticker?

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #7504 on: February 08, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »

I'll do ya one better. There's a car I walk past every day on my way to school, and the parents are putting the toddler in the front seat sans carseat. Never seen them put a seatbelt on him either.

*playing a Jeopardy game. answer written in the ppt is "She's a teacher."*

Student 1: "She is a teacher."
*switch to answer slide, give team the points*
Student 2: "No! It says 'She's'! He said 'She is'! He is wrong!"

I can appreciate competitiveness, and there is a time and place for being super picky about semantics. But seriously? The question was "What job does she do?", not anything about contractions. Calm down.

My kids are super picky about that as well. I usually give the team points if they're close to the answer. But my kids like to play teacher and insist that I must listen to them. I've started leaving the answers out of the powerpoints. That way it can be whatever I want it to be. It's funny though how they'll be so strict about other team's points but the moment it's their turn they ask the teacher to be nice and just give it to them.
For each lesson, I have a PPT with ten or twelve target sentences on a slide at the end. 

I give a class one warning when it comes to this kind of thing (teachers are the judges and all decisions are final); the second time there are complaints, I pull up that PPT and the whole class copies sentences until the end of the period. It's pretty effective.

Well, I just finished my last classes at that school, but I will definitely keep that in mind for the future!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #7505 on: February 08, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »

I'll do ya one better. There's a car I walk past every day on my way to school, and the parents are putting the toddler in the front seat sans carseat. Never seen them put a seatbelt on him either.

I can do one better.  A couple of times, I've seen a dad allowing his 2/3 year-old son to stand between the front seats, with his head out the sunroof waving his arms around, whilst driving down a road at about 60 km/h.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7506 on: February 08, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
That ******. That fuckityfuckfuckfucking ******.

Long story short, I have a new arch-nemesis.

In lighter news, I've lost two USBs and a sports bra in this past week. No idea where they are, but they're gone.

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #7507 on: February 08, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »
At my main school, both of my fabulous co-teachers who I get along with so well are leaving. Also many of the other teachers I get along with. I hope my new handler and co-teacher are as great as these ones but it may be too much to hope for.

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #7508 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:12 AM »
I'm in the same boat at my second school - my main co-teacher, who has been fantastic at keeping me updated with schedule changes etc, is leaving and isn't getting replaced, and the others are all 60+ dinosaurs who can't speak much English. So I feel ya pain  :sad:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7509 on: February 08, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »

I can do one better.  A couple of times, I've seen a dad allowing his 2/3 year-old son to stand between the front seats, with his head out the sunroof waving his arms around, whilst driving down a road at about 60 km/h.

Sounds like you guys need to get some cotton wool and bubble wrap, approach the parents in question and tell them, "this is how we do it in my country!" I'm sure they'll appreciate your help.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #7510 on: February 08, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »

Sounds like you guys need to get some cotton wool and bubble wrap, approach the parents in question and tell them, "this is how we do it in my country!" I'm sure they'll appreciate your help.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7511 on: February 08, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
That ******. That fuckityfuckfuckfucking ******.

Long story short, I have a new arch-nemesis.

In lighter news, I've lost two USBs and a sports bra in this past week. No idea where they are, but they're gone.

Missing bra? You can’t “long story short” that one.

:)

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7512 on: February 09, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »

Haha, the missing bra is completely unrelated to the "long story short," but if it makes you feel better I suspect that someone might have decided to keep it for themselves since there's only really one place I could have left it, and it hadn't been reported as thrown out or returned to the front desk. And since most women here would never be able to fit into my bras, I suspect it's become a showpiece. Which, I don't blame them. It was a very nice sports bra. xD

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7513 on: February 09, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »

Haha, the missing bra is completely unrelated to the "long story short," but if it makes you feel better I suspect that someone might have decided to keep it for themselves since there's only really one place I could have left it, and it hadn't been reported as thrown out or returned to the front desk. And since most women here would never be able to fit into my bras, I suspect it's become a showpiece. Which, I don't blame them. It was a very nice sports bra. xD

Much better; thank you.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7514 on: February 09, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7515 on: February 09, 2018, 08:34:20 AM »
Much better; thank you.

Anytime. :afro:
I love The IT Crowd! And that would have been quite the story.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7516 on: February 21, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
Deskwarming is boring and irritating. I only have 8 days left in this country, and I could be out sightseeing or packing but nooooo. I have to come to school and sit here.  :rolleyes:

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7517 on: February 21, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
I've heard of things like this happening to other people, I never dreamed it would happen to me.

I took vacation days Monday and yesterday.  I come back today, and I see the cars in the parking lot.  I get to the teachers' room.  It is locked and empty.  I think maybe the teachers are in a meeting, so I go to the multipurpose room and then the gym.  Both empty. 

I don't know what to think.  Zombie apocalypse?  Alien abduction?  Did I miss the rapture?

I call my coT and another T.  Neither answer. 

I send my coT a text.  She responds that they'll all in another city for training.

It would have been so nice to be told.   :rolleyes:

Offline cracker

• Veteran
« Reply #7518 on: February 21, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »
I've heard of things like this happening to other people, I never dreamed it would happen to me.

I took vacation days Monday and yesterday.  I come back today, and I see the cars in the parking lot.  I get to the teachers' room.  It is locked and empty.  I think maybe the teachers are in a meeting, so I go to the multipurpose room and then the gym.  Both empty. 

I don't know what to think.  Zombie apocalypse?  Alien abduction?  Did I miss the rapture?

I call my coT and another T.  Neither answer. 

I send my coT a text.  She responds that they'll all in another city for training.

It would have been so nice to be told.

Tell them to enjoy their day at the Olympics.

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #7519 on: February 21, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »
Deskwarming is boring and irritating. I only have 8 days left in this country, and I could be out sightseeing or packing but nooooo. I have to come to school and sit here.  :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat. Take solace in how diligent you are currently being.

Jokes aside, I feel like if you're not renewing you should have 2 "clear out" days where you can stay home and sort your sh*t out. It's not too much to ask considering they cut vacation days from 21 to 18 out of sheer spite.

The resentment at the moment is strong. I didn't mind too much at first since it gave me a reason to jump out of bed, but not this week. This is an absurd waste of time.