May 24, 2018, 04:41:24 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 925275 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7480 on: January 12, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »
I've had a sore throat for over a week now. I'm pretty sure I have a tonsil problem, as I had a sore throat for a week and a half just 2 weeks ago. This is actually quite painful, not just sore, and when I went to the doctor earlier this week, he looked in my mouth for 5 seconds, wrote me a prescription and said goodbye. RX is clearly not doing anything and my job wants me to go back, but I feel like he is just going to do the same thing and get rid of me as fast as possible.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7481 on: January 12, 2018, 10:11:06 AM »
I've had a sore throat for over a week now. I'm pretty sure I have a tonsil problem, as I had a sore throat for a week and a half just 2 weeks ago. This is actually quite painful, not just sore, and when I went to the doctor earlier this week, he looked in my mouth for 5 seconds, wrote me a prescription and said goodbye. RX is clearly not doing anything and my job wants me to go back, but I feel like he is just going to do the same thing and get rid of me as fast as possible.

Probably viral tonsillitis. Antibiotics wont do anything. Sometimes takes 10-14 days to resolve by itself.
Can you see your tonsils? Do they look inflammed or have white on them?
They could give you typical otc pain relief. Maybe a steroid to help with the infammation.
Go to another ENT. It's one of the most common types of dcotors clinics you can find here, so there should be another one nearby. Like all Korean doctors, many are shit and do the same thing for every single patient. Some are good though.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7482 on: January 12, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »

Probably viral tonsillitis. Antibiotics wont do anything. Sometimes takes 10-14 days to resolve by itself.
They could give you typical otc pain relief. Maybe a steroid to help with the infammation.
Go to another ENT. It's one of the most common types of dcotors clinics you can find here, so there should be another one nearby. Like all Korean doctors, many are shit and do the same thing for every single patient. Some are good though.
I haven't actually tried looking at them, but when I touch my throat, I can feel that they are swollen some. Unfortunately, many pain relievers, and definitely the OTC ones, don't really work for me since I have a pretty high tolerance. But I will tell them that I want to go to a new doc.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7483 on: January 12, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »

I haven't actually tried looking at them, but when I touch my throat, I can feel that they are swollen some. Unfortunately, many pain relievers, and definitely the OTC ones, don't really work for me since I have a pretty high tolerance. But I will tell them that I want to go to a new doc.

Try looking at the back of your throat inside of your mouth, look for white spots. If you see white spots, the infection is bacterial and you'll need antibiotics, not just pain meds. If there are no white spots, it's most likely viral (antibiotics won't help with that at all) and you'll need anti-inflammatory medication. You should also be drinking a lot of herbal teas (chamomile and green tea are good and won't interfere with meds), water, and lightly salted broth (veggie and/or meat -- I do both) if you aren't already. Maybe gargle with salt water every day, too.

Either way, as zola has already stated, it can take up to 2 weeks for tonsilitis to clear up, but, regardless, I'd seek a second opinion if you feel no improvement at all.

Is the doctor you're currently seeing an ENT or a general practitioner? In any case, you might want to go to a different hospital or clinic as the doctors at your current clinic may not want to contradict each other.

I hope you feel better soon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:38:59 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7484 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »

Try looking at the back of your throat inside of your mouth, look for white spots. If you see white spots, the infection is bacterial and you'll need antibiotics, not just pain meds. If there are no white spots, it's most likely viral (antibiotics won't help with that at all) and you'll need anti-inflammatory medication. You should also be drinking a lot of herbal teas (chamomile and green tea are good and won't interfere with meds), water, and lightly salted broth (veggie and/or meat -- I do both) if you aren't already. Maybe gargle with salt water every day, too.

Either way, as zola has already stated, it can take up to 2 weeks for tonsilitis to clear up, but, regardless, I'd seek a second opinion if you feel no improvement at all.

Is the doctor you're currently seeing an ENT or a general practitioner? In any case, you might want to go to a different hospital or clinic as the doctors at your current clinic may not want to contradict each other.

I hope you feel better soon.
So much tonsil knowledge~

They took me to the GP because he was a lot closer than the ENT, though I had initially wanted to go straight there. I've been drinking a lot of tea and broth/juk for the most part this week. Here's to hoping that it's bacterial so the antibiotics I was given will work, even if slowly.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7485 on: January 12, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
So much tonsil knowledge~

They took me to the GP because he was a lot closer than the ENT, though I had initially wanted to go straight there. I've been drinking a lot of tea and broth/juk for the most part this week. Here's to hoping that it's bacterial so the antibiotics I was given will work, even if slowly.

When I had tonsilitis, it was bacterial, and noticeable improvement came within the first 48 hours (more like the first 24, but I was pretty out of it at the time so saying 48 to err on the safe side). Even though it can take a while for tonsilitis to clear up and each case can vary, you should still feel a noticeable difference shortly after undergoing appropriate treatment.

If you really don't feel a difference after several days of taking whatever medication he's given you, see a different doctor that won't be as likely to blow you off with antibiotics. They really over-prescribe those things here. It's almost a go-to treatment for anything and everything, and a lot of the times they'll just prescribe a stronger or different antibiotic if you come back and tell them that what you were given isn't working.

An ENT will be your best bet. Being more specialized, they normally investigate a little more thoroughly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:54:02 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7486 on: January 18, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »
I've been using Mall Tail as my forwarding agency lately, but this time they are driving me bonkers! I ordered some earrings from a site, and they got delivered to the warehouse just fine. I filled out my application for forwarding, and waited to be told how much it would be. Then, about 3 weeks ago, I got a message from them saying that my application was incorrect. I reviewed it, looked it over, and no it's not. Everything is in order. So I emailed them just that. A little while later, I get an email saying that No, I forgot to put 2 shirts from the same site on the application, and I need to go put them on the application before they can send me the package.

I ordered no shirts, and I told them that, and then they send me a message with the details of what the shirts were. I guess in case I forgot what I ordered. Again, I tell them that, no, these are not my items and I only ordered the earrings from the site, no shirts. THEN they send me a picture of the shirts, as well as the order form, where it very clearly says a different name, email, address, and order number. I was sending my item to DE and these shirts were supposed to go to NC. SO obviously a delivery mistake. Why they are attaching it to my order, I have no idea. I suppose because they are from the same website.

Anyways, now they are asking me if I want to return or just throw the shirts away, but if it's a return, I have to pay for it. I won't get my earrings until I let them know. I feel like they're being held hostage! So, if anyone ordered 2 shirts, one for Yuri on Ice and one for Rick and Morty, sorry, you aren't getting your stuff.  :undecided: :rolleyes:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7487 on: January 19, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
Sorry, me again~

As of last night, I am back on the market after very nearly two years. My bf broke up with me because he wasn't feeling it anymore. It was honestly a long time coming (for both of us), but it still hurts. And now I have to go to the post office and pick up the birthday present I ordered for him for next week.  :cry: :cry:

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7488 on: January 19, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
Sorry, me again~

As of last night, I am back on the market after very nearly two years. My bf broke up with me because he wasn't feeling it anymore. It was honestly a long time coming (for both of us), but it still hurts. And now I have to go to the post office and pick up the birthday present I ordered for him for next week.  :cry: :cry:

Ceremonial burning time? Or the less dramatic re-gifting?

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7489 on: January 19, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
Sorry, me again~

Ceremonial burning time? Or the less dramatic re-gifting?
Nah, it was a somewhat pretty penny, so probably a mid-drama selling.

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #7490 on: January 19, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
Sorry, me again~

On the bright side you're only 24 posts away from 1000.  :P

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7491 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »
Sorry, me again~

On the bright side you're only 24 posts away from 1000.  :P
For that reason alone, I shall keep posting my woes.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7492 on: January 22, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »
Winter camp. I'm so glad it is over. For the most part, it was pretty good. Except for day 2.
Day 2 was the start of the arts and crafts + snacks day.
5 of the students show up on time, and are happily working away. 2 of the boys aren't really enjoying the activities, but they are being quiet, and just talking together while making some little things.

Then 1 of the boys shows up really late. Takes a look at what we are doing, then flat out refuses to do it, puts some Korean into his translator app which translates to: "This isn't worth my time."
So I said, he could play a board / card game if he wants, and to ask the boys that aren't really enjoying the arts and crafts. They don't want to play a board or card game, and are happy doing what they are doing. So I offer to play with the kid. "NO TEACHER. NO PLAY UNLESS 4 PEOPLE." (He meant, he won't play a board / card game unless there is a total of 4 people or more).
He then puts on headphones and tries to listen to music. I told him, no listening to music, and to either: keep his phone in his pocket, unless using it for translating; or to put it on the desk with the others until the end of the camp day.

"I f%^&ING HATE YOU, TEACHER!! f%^&ING f%^&ING f%^&ING f%^&ING" (he literally said that 4 times after telling me he hates me).
I dealt with that swiftly, and calmly, right away. And then got the Korean co-teacher, who was relaxing in the teachers office, while talking to their partner or child on the phone (non-important personal call) to which I get "you interrupted me for this..." so, I searched for a list of bad Korean words and said, what if the student, or myself, just started saying.. *points to a word on the list*. The teacher then saw my point, and came to deal with the student.
The student then just proceeds to do the exact same thing a few minutes later. And myself, and the other students got pretty mad this time. While I still dealt with it calmly, the students were angry and yelling at him because the bad student was ruining their good time.

Luckily for me, the student didn't come back for the rest of the camp.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7493 on: January 22, 2018, 02:50:35 PM »

I hate talking like this about students, but what a little shit.

Good on you for not allowing him to take control of the situation at no time.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7494 on: January 22, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »

I do as well. That's the only time I've probably come close to actually getting angry with a student in my time teaching.

And yeah, I know middle schoolers love to use English curse words, but it's one of the few things I really crack down on here.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7495 on: January 22, 2018, 03:08:11 PM »

I do as well. That's the only time I've probably come close to actually getting angry with a student in my time teaching.

And yeah, I know middle schoolers love to use English curse words, but it's one of the few things I really crack down on here.

Yeah, same here. They know it's disrespectful and they would NEVER say those things to a Korean teacher. It's not even about what they say but how they say it -- the tone they're giving you, the attitude. They don't even have to be cursing. But when they're tossing in curse words in to go along with that behavior, they're purposely trying to upset you, and that goes double when they know it's against your rules and you've made it very clear that it's disrespectful. They don't forget that shit. And I have no problem with letting them know that I'm upset with their behavior. But it normally plays out in a way that they didn't anticipate, lol. They want you to yell at them while they stay smug. When you stay calm but stern and react in a way where it results in them losing control of the situation, it throws them off.

Good for you that the kid didn't return. Battle won, lol.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7496 on: January 22, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »

Yeah, same here. They know it's disrespectful and they would NEVER say those things to a Korean teacher. It's not even about what they say but how they say it -- the tone they're giving you, the attitude. They don't even have to be cursing. But when they're tossing in curse words in to go along with that behavior, they're purposely trying to upset you, and that goes double when they know it's against your rules and you've made it very clear that it's disrespectful. They don't forget that shit. And I have no problem with letting them know that I'm upset with their behavior. But it normally plays out in a way that they didn't anticipate, lol. They want you to yell at them while they stay smug. When you stay calm but stern and react in a way where it results in them losing control of the situation, it throws them off.

Good for you that the kid didn't return. Battle won, lol.

Yeah, that's true. :P I think I have only yelled 1 time, and it's because the class was so noisy, any non-yelling I used to try get them to quieten down wasn't working. However, it was also loud and scary enough, that the students in that class never got that loud again haha. :P (though, I didn't mean to sound scary haha - once I said that to the students, they had a laugh though!)

And yeah, the rest of the camp was rather enjoyable, especially without that student: he missed out on pancakes day, and fast food and movies day :P

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7497 on: January 22, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »
Fidget spinners need and the person who invented them need to be cast off into the same pit reserved for people who use the term "adulting".

Whatever happened to teaching kids not to fidget and if they did, smacking them across the head and threatening them with chores?

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7498 on: January 23, 2018, 08:50:39 AM »
Fidget spinners need and the person who invented them need to be cast off into the same pit reserved for people who use the term "adulting".

Whatever happened to teaching kids not to fidget and if they did, smacking them across the head and threatening them with chores?
From what I've read/heard, they were originally intended and made for kids with autism and ADHD, then got taken over into the mainstream, where they became the super annoying toys that all kids used during class. I am in no way a fan, but had they stayed in their original intended use, they would be good. However, I'm certainly not a therapist, so I'm just going off what I've heard.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7499 on: January 23, 2018, 03:30:23 PM »

From what I've read/heard, they were originally intended and made for kids with autism and ADHD, then got taken over into the mainstream, where they became the super annoying toys that all kids used during class. I am in no way a fan, but had they stayed in their original intended use, they would be good. However, I'm certainly not a therapist, so I'm just going off what I've heard.

I have no idea what is behind the Western (American?) trend to try and be as infantilized/victimized as possible. Refusing to grow up. Refusing to bathe because you're still angry at mom and dad when they told you to take a bath. Toys for those with conditions. Cry-ins. Adult Coloring books (not just for the artsy/fashion students anymore). Man rompers. 24 is the new 18 (and they want to lower the voting age!). Adulting. The pursuit of happiness above all else.

Then these same people whine and moan when you treat them like the kids they act like.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018