December 11, 2018, 05:49:56 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1210629 times)

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7440 on: March 02, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
I feel like death warmed over today. Got sick just in time for the first day of school. Thank goodness I have no classes.

Offline elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #7441 on: March 02, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »
My cot told me that today she would give me the new textbooks so that I could start preparing lessons.
This afternoon she brings me a stack of the old textbooks insisting that they are the new ones.   :rolleyes:
Luckily, some other teacher figured out what was going on and corrected her...but I'm still without the new textbooks.

On a related note, why are only the grade 3 and 4 books changing? They weren't terrible.  It's the grade 5 and 6 books that need to be thrown into a dumpster fire.  I honestly don't think I can teach one more year of
Q: "Would you like to join me?"
A: "No problem."
 :cry:

Offline wanderlust8

• Veteran
« Reply #7442 on: March 02, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »

On a related note, why are only the grade 3 and 4 books changing? They weren't terrible.  It's the grade 5 and 6 books that need to be thrown into a dumpster fire.  I honestly don't think I can teach one more year of
Q: "Would you like to join me?"
A: "No problem."
 :cry:

From what I understand, they're doing the changes in phases. So this year it's grades 3 and 4 and next year will be 5 and 6.

Also, I recommend checking the library for your new books. I've been waiting awhile to get mine (they forgot about me) and was told today to check the library and boom. All the new books were just chilling in there. Would have been nice to know while I was deskwarming but oh well.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7443 on: March 09, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
Was between 2 - 4 minutes late to work today, for something not in my control, and got in a lot of trouble. Even though, I have no classes today.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7444 on: March 09, 2018, 10:27:01 AM »
Was between 2 - 4 minutes late to work today, for something not in my control, and got in a lot of trouble. Even though, I have no classes today.
Well, yeah, you weren't diligent.  :laugh:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #7445 on: March 09, 2018, 10:28:15 AM »
How much trouble are we talking?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7446 on: March 09, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »

That's ridiculous. I'm not the best at timekeeping and I've never "got in a lot of trouble" for being late. The worst I get is a nagging that I just brush off. I do take my classes seriously though.

What happened exactly?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7447 on: March 09, 2018, 10:41:06 AM »

Enough that my boss was red in the face, while trying not to scream and yell at me, that I need to be on time.

That's ridiculous. I'm not the best at timekeeping and I've never "got in a lot of trouble" for being late. The worst I get is a nagging that I just brush off. I do take my classes seriously though.

What happened exactly?

The way I usually walk to work was cut off a bit (due to construction), so I had to back track and walk the long way around.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7448 on: March 09, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »

Enough that my boss was red in the face, while trying not to scream and yell at me, that I need to be on time.

Ah, the Korean tradition of 'I'm having a bad day, let's share this bad feeling'.

Yeah >.< wasn't a nice start to the day haha.

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #7449 on: March 09, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
Damn your boss sounds like a right ****. At least it's Friday?  :undecided:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7450 on: March 09, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
Damn your boss sounds like a right ****. At least it's Friday?  :undecided:

He's usually really laid back and kind. I think he was just having a bad day :p
The rest of the day that we have chatted, we've gotten along as usual.

And yes. I'm very glad it is Friday! :D

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7451 on: March 09, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
My VP at my main school is a complete f***ing doo doo head POS ass****. I want to scream!!

Nothing I have ever done over the last few years has ever been right. I will do things exactly as he says, and he changes his mind about everything about 5 times a year, and still no not good enough. I found out last week that he has badmouthed me to basically the entire staff at this school and others, despite the fact that he begged me to stay on this year.

I get along great with my CTs (homeroom teachers) and we were all chatting about after school classes etc and this MOFO starts going on at me about how I need to up my game and what are my plans on how I will teach this year. So I replied, well the books have changed but my teaching methods will be the same, so he says in front of everyone "maybe this year you can actually learn how to teach." I'm an actual teacher, more years experience than him... I want to scream.

I have literally reached boiling point and am ready to phone the POE and give in my 60 days notice.  Like what the hell is his problem?

I am seriously contemplating going to him and explaining to him that he must leave me alone or I will leave.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7452 on: March 09, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
My VP at my main school is a complete f***ing doo doo head POS ass****. I want to scream!!

Nothing I have ever done over the last few years has ever been right. I will do things exactly as he says, and he changes his mind about everything about 5 times a year, and still no not good enough. I found out last week that he has badmouthed me to basically the entire staff at this school and others, despite the fact that he begged me to stay on this year.

I get along great with my CTs (homeroom teachers) and we were all chatting about after school classes etc and this MOFO starts going on at me about how I need to up my game and what are my plans on how I will teach this year. So I replied, well the books have changed but my teaching methods will be the same, so he says in front of everyone "maybe this year you can actually learn how to teach." I'm an actual teacher, more years experience than him... I want to scream.

I have literally reached boiling point and am ready to phone the POE and give in my 60 days notice.  Like what the hell is his problem?

I am seriously contemplating going to him and explaining to him that he must leave me alone or I will leave.

I am so sorry. It honestly sounds like he's just taking his frustrations and insecurities out on what he perceives is an easy target. Even jealousy, the way he keeps trying to put you "in your place." Definitely feels like he's threatened by you.

That level of disrespect is not okay, not even in Korean society. He's just been allowed to get away with it for far too long. How do the other teachers react to his behavior?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:46:57 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7453 on: March 09, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
I know it's easy to talk a big game and everyone's personal situation is different.....but if anyone I worked with talked to me that way I would not accept it. I would demand a public apology. Disgusting.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7454 on: March 09, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that. :'( No one deserves to be treated like that.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7455 on: March 09, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »

Leave mate. Just leave. What's your dignity worth?

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7456 on: March 09, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »

stuff like this is also why i'm leaving. had a d-bag principal like this in the past too. the guy would walk around just purposefully looking for things to complain about. no matter how perfect the classes were he'd always find some BS thing to complain about.

not saying people like this don't exist in the West, come across a few myself - but there just seems to be so many of them in korea. like they get their jollies from putting other people down and making them feel bad, and about complaining.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7457 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »

There have been a couple of principals I've worked with, who have had an almost childish behaviour, which seems to be prevalent in Korea and mainly it is to just criticise without it being in any way useful or constructive. 

yep. i've heard from many teachers that they get promoted because of how old they are and who they know, rather than on merit. then when they are principal, they take it easy as they know it's an easy road to retirement.

"the vice principal is almost old enough to become a principal" - what kind of dumb fucking rule is that

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #7458 on: March 09, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
It's just that if you're old you can automatically become a principal, which is the dumbest shit idea.  My school had an exchange with a middle school in California and my school's teachers couldn't quite understand how the American principal was in his late thirties.  He was great to talk to, and clearly got his job on merit and after numerous interviews, however one of those merits not being his old age. 

I suppose if your school's teachers knew that France's current president was 39 (in Western age) when he took office, that would probably make their heads spin.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7459 on: March 09, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »
I suppose if your school's teachers knew that France's current president was 39 (in Western age) when he took office, that would probably make their heads spin.
But it's okay because his age is balanced out by his wife's age.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free