September 26, 2018, 04:30:28 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098644 times)

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7280 on: November 23, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
Someone sat down RIGHT beside me on the subway when there are plenty of empty seats all around and I'm kinda weirded out hahahah

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times before as well (both on subways and buses).

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7281 on: November 23, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
RANT 1:
*I love my students. I love my students. I love my students*

But I have this one kid in particular who is driving me up a wall. He's one of the only ones in his class to go to hagwon. It's fine, except he's literally the most competitive person I've ever seen in my life. Like, come game/activity/project time, he's up there yelling and taking over his group because no one else can do it as fast as he can. (Note that they're perfectly capable of doing whatever it is, but just take 10 seconds to answer instead of 5 seconds.) He's yelling because I didn't add the team's point to the board before I changed the slide or I didn't add the sticker to his team's chart immediately as soon as the game ended or I didn't use the timer on the screen to allow for a little more time--which obviously means that it's completely unfair and he has to yell and moan about it until I understand his point *eye roll*. This child needs to learn some freaking patience. I talked to my coteacher about both of us sitting down with him and trying to get him to just calm the heck down, but apparently he's the exact same in his homeroom.

RANT 2:
There's this one homeroom teacher at my school who speaks really good English. She's cool, and she's a good teacher, and I generally enjoy teaching with her. But there's always been the niggling "Don't trust her" feeling. Nothing to support that feeling, just I get the idea she's a very petty, manipulative person, and she has lots of control issues. Well, she completely took over my entire classroom yesterday. Like rearranged the classroom, threw away my entire reward system, started changing the lesson in the middle of freaking class. Like, who the hell does this woman think she is to come into my classroom, change it around, take over my lesson, and then act like I'm the stupid one because I'm sitting there like "WTF?" She's so condescending, and I'm over it.

I have 2 students like that, one boy and one girl, both in the 4th grade but different schools. I'm using slightly different approaches for both of them.

I feel very sorry for the girl as she's been raised to be a total bi-atch. She's at my rural school and transferred there from Seoul. The other students are pretty weak at English, but focus 100% of their efforts on helping and encouraging one another... it really melts my heart. It's plain to see, and her HR teacher told me the same, that she ONLY thinks of herself. Her parents are quite rich and because of her high English level and wealth, she has a MASSIVE superiority complex, even to the point that she attempts to correct my English... attempts ;D
Some of her greatest hits:

- During the lesson she tried to correct me with incorrect English. Since I'm a NET, I possess the necessary dexterity
  to gently affirm that "I can swim" (what I wrote on the board) is correct and "I can swimming" (what she insisted I
  change what I wrote down to) is incorrect, while praising her for trying and paying attention.
  She wouldn't let it go and complained to the HR teacher and her parents that I didn't correct myself.
- She can put her head on her desk in break down into sobs in 3sec flat. Usually when she doesn't win a game.
- I asked her to turn the lights off, I was about to play a short YT video. She refused. I asked again and she refused.
  I warned her that if she refused again she'd be getting in big trouble... Then, she actually had the gall to bark at the
  special needs kid, who has a mental problem and difficulty walking, to turn off the light.

The boy is ultra, hyper competitive. He becomes physically destructive with whatever is in his radius whenever he loses and you get the sense that his parents just died in a tractor accident. He delights in berating other students when they lose or make a mistake and becomes ridiculously aggressive with his team when they can't answer or take too long.
I really worry about this kid as he does not take failure well. If his asshole parents continue to reinforce this kind of behaviour, I see this kid growing up to be extremely violent and abusive to others and himself.

As to your 2nd rant, I know exactly what you mean.

There are some Korean brown-nosers here who'll want to crucify me for saying this, but self-preservation is more important than cultural sensitivity. I learned this the hard way. Never trust your co-workers, end of story.
It's absolutely true that most Koreans, are not lying, backstabbing c**ts, but those that are, are devious as hell and hard to spot till it's too late.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7282 on: November 23, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
Someone sat down RIGHT beside me on the subway when there are plenty of empty seats all around and I'm kinda weirded out hahahah

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times before as well (both on subways and buses).

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7283 on: November 24, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »
My Co-T is such a........... Well.....................

;D  :P  :cheesy: Teacher, it's snowing!

:-* *proceeds to close all the window........ drapes? The curtain, I don't f'in know*

5 mins later, I begin teaching

:police: So, kids! How's the weather! (This is not the lesson, it is an English question, and it's pertinent)

:-* *proceeds to close her own window shutter which was 25% open.

Who does this???? F this, I'm moving to Indonesia.

Please don't move to Indonesia just for that girl.  Also, block your ex's number and block her on Kakao, Facebook, etc.  I've been in your position and it's sh*te I know but she's just going to keep messing with your head by contacting you whenever she's bored and wants some attention.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7284 on: November 24, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
Please don't move to Indonesia just for that girl.  Also, block your ex's number and block her on Kakao, Facebook, etc.  I've been in your position and it's sh*te I know but she's just going to keep messing with your head by contacting you whenever she's bored and wants some attention.
I'll make my own mistakes, thank you very much.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7285 on: November 24, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »
One of the phrases I had to teach my students today was, "Here you are!"
I briefly mentioned after they said it a few times that it's a bit more common/friendly to say, "Here you go!"

:lipsrsealed: So ya! Here you are. Here you go. Both OK! Alright, so now...
:-* 미국인병 teacher, [points to 'Here you go,'] they don't need to know that, it's just going to confuse them, OK? It just waste time.
:lipsrsealed: No yeah, totally fine, just f()ck me I guess.

Works Cited

CO2, Kevin, "Emoji's to Format Dialogue With Co-Teacher." Waygook.org's Den of Thieves Community Forum 2017. Print.

Yes once you learn the word 'delicious' there's really no need to ever describe food in any other way (bad food is 'not delicious.') Except maybe years later when you want to get out of Korea and need a good IELTS score and you realise every other Korean uses exactly the same vocabulary as you, and they're all getting a 5.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7286 on: November 24, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »
I'll make my own mistakes, thank you very much.

The people's champ CO2.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7287 on: November 27, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »
1) No, I'm using the ****** classroom computer whether you want me to or not. I'm the one who made it run better to begin with because you guys had a crap-ton of malware and unnecessary software installed on the betch, so if it's running slow, it's not because of me, it's because of something you or a student ****** did. Look, see? I found a shit-ton of malware, and no, it wasn't put there by me. Stop ****** blaming the foreigner every time something isn't working right. Oh, you mean no one else has had access to this computer? Are you ****** sure about that? Because you guys leave this ****** computer unattended and unlocked all the ****** time so that anyone can get to it. Oh, the students would never get on the computer without permission and you're positive that none of the other teachers have been ****** around it (including yourself)? Okay, Ima install this motion detection software on this ****** thing to see who gets on and then we'll see about that. *comes in next week to KT insisting that I just sit in the classroom and stare at the ****** desk instead of using the computer because it's running slow again and they're positive that's MY fault* It's not my fault, I left the computer in more than perfect working order last week, and it just so happened to crap out in the middle of the week while I wasn't even here? Have YOU done anything to the computer? No, you haven't been on it? What about the students? You've already told me that the students would never touch it without permission? Okay, okay. *checks backlog of saved recordings, finds a TON of vids of KTs and students using the computer throughout the week, shows everyone, continues using the computer without any more arguments, removes all the ****** software installed by the students and the malware that got installed along with them* ****** children. And not even talking about the students.

Our school computers have the passwords written on sticky notes attached to the monitor. Boggles the mind.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7288 on: November 27, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
1) No, I'm using the ****** classroom computer whether you want me to or not. I'm the one who made it run better to begin with because you guys had a crap-ton of malware and unnecessary software installed on the betch, so if it's running slow, it's not because of me, it's because of something you or a student ****** did. Look, see? I found a shit-ton of malware, and no, it wasn't put there by me. Stop ****** blaming the foreigner every time something isn't working right. Oh, you mean no one else has had access to this computer? Are you ****** sure about that? Because you guys leave this ****** computer unattended and unlocked all the ****** time so that anyone can get to it. Oh, the students would never get on the computer without permission and you're positive that none of the other teachers have been ****** around it (including yourself)? Okay, Ima install this motion detection software on this ****** thing to see who gets on and then we'll see about that. *comes in next week to KT insisting that I just sit in the classroom and stare at the ****** desk instead of using the computer because it's running slow again and they're positive that's MY fault* It's not my fault, I left the computer in more than perfect working order last week, and it just so happened to crap out in the middle of the week while I wasn't even here? Have YOU done anything to the computer? No, you haven't been on it? What about the students? You've already told me that the students would never touch it without permission? Okay, okay. *checks backlog of saved recordings, finds a TON of vids of KTs and students using the computer throughout the week, shows everyone, continues using the computer without any more arguments, removes all the ****** software installed by the students and the malware that got installed along with them* ****** children. And not even talking about the students.

Our school computers have the passwords written on sticky notes attached to the monitor. Boggles the mind.

Bonus points if they are “strong” passwords.

mbCda97Ff&fy#sS5

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7289 on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
That is too funny.  I had the same type of conversation about the computer I had to share ages ago (blame the NET game).

The password thing is SO true.  What is the point?

At every computer in the school, all you have to do is lift the keyboard to find the passwords.

Pretty ridiculous.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7290 on: November 27, 2017, 09:52:40 AM »
when i worked at public school, i complained about my computer being slow a few times. the IT person would come and 'fix' it, by intstalling a lot of korean bloatware onto it, after which it would run even slower! needless to say, after i re-uninstalled them, it 'magically' sped up again. made no sense

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7291 on: November 27, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »
I can't believe these 6th graders think the Han river is bigger than the Amazon river.

And Jeju is bigger than Hawaii.

They act shocked and offended when I show them the comparisons.

Do they do Geography in elementary school? Not sure they do. They don't learn History until the 2nd grade of middle school.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7292 on: November 27, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
I can't believe these 6th graders think the Han river is bigger than the Amazon river.

I told a class of students that a tomato was a fruit on friday.  The look of shock, horror and disbelief on their faces was amazing.  It was if i was perfoming sorcery in the class.  Their minds were exploding.

I teach in a university!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7293 on: November 27, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »

I told a class of students that a tomato was a fruit on friday.  The look of shock, horror and disbelief on their faces was amazing.  It was if i was perfoming sorcery in the class.  Their minds were exploding.

I teach in a university!
Why the f do they put it in the fruit salads then???????????
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7294 on: November 27, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »

Do they do Geography in elementary school? Not sure they do. They don't learn History until the 2nd grade of middle school.

Nope, when teaching comparatives I showed a side by side picture of Africa and South America.
I asked which continent had more countries. Even the HR teacher (no CT teacher for that class), could tell which was South America and which was Africa.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7295 on: November 27, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »

I teach in a university!

Almost every Korean I've ever met has considered a tomato a fruit.

What a strange thing to ask every Korean you meet.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7296 on: November 27, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
I told a class of students that a tomato was a fruit on friday.  The look of shock, horror and disbelief on their faces was amazing.

Did you know that peanuts are legumes (beans)?
That vanilla is a fruit?
Strawberries, apples and pears are technically not actual fruit?
Coffee beans are berries?
Rhubarb is a vegetable?

One could make a pretty interesting goldenbell ppt out of food/plant facts.  :smiley:

Also, as Miles Kington once said: “Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.”

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7297 on: November 27, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
I told a class of students that a tomato was a fruit on friday.  The look of shock, horror and disbelief on their faces was amazing.

Did you know that peanuts are legumes (beans)?
That vanilla is a fruit?
Strawberries, apples and pears are technically not actual fruit?
Coffee beans are berries?
Rhubarb is a vegetable?

One could make a pretty interesting goldenbell ppt out of food/plant facts.  :smiley:

Also, as Miles Kington once said: “Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.”

That moment when one realizes I've no idea what I've really been eating all these years  :shocked:

Vanilla is the most shocking

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7298 on: November 27, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »

I'm not at all surprised that people here (not just kids) would think that Jeju is bigger than Hawaii. How well do most citizens know the relative size of obscure islands belonging to foreign nations?

For example, I wouldn't be at all surprised or offended if some random English speaking expat didn't know that Vancouver Island is bigger than the Hawaiian islands.  :undecided:

...on the other hand, thinking that a tiny river like the Han is bigger than the Amazon is a bit mind-boggling. The Amazon discharges around 350 times as much water per second.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:54:44 AM by kyndo »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7299 on: November 27, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »
Vancouver Island is practically the same size as the Republic of Korea.