July 19, 2018, 08:03:52 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1039483 times)

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6980 on: September 25, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
I've found being completely unappealing to the opposite sex is a great way to save money for all the fancy gear I want.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #6981 on: September 25, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »

:cry:

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6982 on: September 26, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »
So, not lot ago, I met this Korean girl I started liking, was going to ask her out, but she told me she fell for this other guy she met (online - never has met him in person). Gave her some advice, and she progressed with that guy. She started to tell me, in graphic detail, about all her intimate details dealings with this guy.

I told her politely, that I don't want to interact with her anymore, and explained why (liked her, I didn't want to hear about this other guy, and she'd always change the topic to her situation with him); She wasn't happy about it, but accepted it. However, she started contacting me again about it >.<
She's not being bad enough to warrant getting blocked, but I don't exactly want to hear about that stuff either. :\
#foreveralone

Bruh, block her now.  She's a user who enjoys getting the attention from you without reciprocating in kind.  Gross.

I took your advice, she eventually got the phones of her parents and tried to call me; She got the other guy to try message me; After I declined, they proceeded to make new Facebook accounts and kept trying to message me on there too. >.< To combat this, I just shut my laptop, and jammed on the ps4 though, as it was getting annoying. :p
We had only known each other for like 1.5 - 2 weeks, so I don't understand why the stalker behaviour was needed. >.<
So glad she doesn't know where I live, it could have really gotten scarypoppins.

Also, I'm still a bit sick from yesterday, so I decided to not go on the school trip >.< Even though I don't like baseball, I was looking forward to the school trip. >.<
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:13:53 AM by Kayos »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6983 on: September 26, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Bruh, block her now.  She's a user who enjoys getting the attention from you without reciprocating in kind.  Gross.

I took your advice, she eventually got the phones of her parents and tried to call me; She got the other guy to try message me; After I declined, they proceeded to make new Facebook accounts and kept trying to message me on there too. >.< To combat this, I just shut my laptop, and jammed on the ps4 though, as it was getting annoying. :p
We had only known each other for like 1.5 - 2 weeks, so I don't understand why the stalker behaviour was needed. >.<
So glad she doesn't know where I live, it could have really gotten scarypoppins.

Sweet jeezus, glad you dropped that before she became an even bigger problem. That is one can of hella crazy! Thank goodness she doesn't know where you live.  I hope you find a nice sane gal instead!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:27:17 AM by yirj17 »

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6984 on: September 26, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »

Sweet jeezus, glad you dropped that before she became an even bigger problem. That is one can of hella crazy! Thank goodness she doesn't know where you live.  I hope you find a nice sane gal instead!

Yeah, in a lot of ways I'm glad I dodged that bullet. :D
And thanks!

Also, I've now been tasked to choose the G1 middle school textbook for next year.
The schools criteria for a good book is: lots of cartoon pictures, and not too many difficult words.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6985 on: September 26, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
Is it just me or have the crazies been especially numerous and obnoxious lately?

It's not even October, yet.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #6986 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
Waygook.org user...

#basedcowboyshirt,

Please stop.  Just stop.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6987 on: September 26, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
I can't understand people who engage in stalker behavior. If someone doesn't want to talk to you, nothing is going to change by going full crazy on them. In fact it'll only make things worse.

Not to make this about Korea in general, because stalkers happen anywhere... but it sure does seem to happen a lot here.

Honestly I think there has to be some kind of mental imbalance with a touch of narcissism.  The entitlement stalkers feel at "deserving/owning" their prey's attention.  Any sane person might feel a bit stung at rejection but move on instead of obsessing. 

There was a weirdo I met my first year in college.  I thought he was just being friendly; he started chatting to me on FB then asked where I lived.  I thought that was a little odd but figured I was just being paranoid, like maybe he was just making conversation, right?  So I vaguely said "off campus."  And returned the question in kind.  He was similarly vague but then kept pressing further.  He kept pushing for specifics after I told him the main street so that's when I got uncomfortable and ended up deleting him when he started getting weird.  Then the next day at work our boss casually confronted me with, "so I heard you deleted [creeper] off FB."  Ironically, I didn't want to come off sounding crazy so I didn't tell her why that was.  After I got to know her, she was definitely the type who would have had a word with him about inappropriate behavior and boundaries.  Didn't know it at the time though.  Thankfully he never bothered me again; I do think he was probably harmless but clueless about understanding boundaries and maybe even social norms. 

Then there was creepy-married-with-a-kid-Korean-stalker-dude when I first moved here.  I feel sorry for anyone who has to suffer his attention. 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6988 on: September 27, 2017, 07:36:52 AM »
I have the worst computer at my main school. The mouse doesn't work half the time. The Internet cuts off if you touch the Ethernet in any way. Hard to keep my head into lesson planning with only a trackpad and shotty Internet.

Online sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #6989 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
I can't seem to find a way to post a comment on Waygook from my cell phone. Is it possible? Am i missing something or can it only be done from a computer?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6990 on: September 27, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
I can't seem to find a way to post a comment on Waygook from my cell phone. Is it possible? Am i missing something or can it only be done from a computer?

You need to be in a Forum.

The button is just above the list of posts, on the right.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6991 on: September 27, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
I used to like playing games with my students because it took up so much time, but these kids are such sore losers I don't enjoy it anymore.

If they lose, they become so demanding like it's their right to win. They scream for another round or to get a prize anyway. They whine like they're dying. My CT is nice enough to usually award the top 5 spots in a game, staggering the prizes (1st place gets 3 stickers - 5th place gets 1 sticker) and they still have the nerve to complain and demand more stickers.

I know they are just kids, but I hate to watch them getting away with this behavior. There will be another game next class and another after that. This is the only time in life they will ever be awarded for 5th place, but they are so ungrateful. They need to be taught to say thank you and try again next time. Again, I know they are children but I just don't like seeing this behavior unchecked. It's so entitled.

They're training to become Korea's SJW generation.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6992 on: September 27, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
I used to like playing games with my students because it took up so much time, but these kids are such sore losers I don't enjoy it anymore.

If they lose, they become so demanding like it's their right to win. They scream for another round or to get a prize anyway. They whine like they're dying. My CT is nice enough to usually award the top 5 spots in a game, staggering the prizes (1st place gets 3 stickers - 5th place gets 1 sticker) and they still have the nerve to complain and demand more stickers.

I know they are just kids, but I hate to watch them getting away with this behavior. There will be another game next class and another after that. This is the only time in life they will ever be awarded for 5th place, but they are so ungrateful. They need to be taught to say thank you and try again next time. Again, I know they are children but I just don't like seeing this behavior unchecked. It's so entitled.

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. They're freakin' children.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6993 on: September 27, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »

Children being taught the same negative behaviours that led to America's 20-somethings becoming the disaster they are.

Online sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #6994 on: September 27, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »

You need to be in a Forum.

The button is just above the list of posts, on the right.

Thank you for that. Actually, i could only see that button after i logged out and back in again. So now i can comment from my phone. Problem fixed.  ;D

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6995 on: September 27, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »

Children being taught the same negative behaviours that led to America's 20-somethings becoming the disaster they are.

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. They're children. Stop trying to make some kind of statement.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6996 on: September 27, 2017, 11:57:03 AM »

YAWN. So preoccupied with pushing an agenda you aren't even trying to make sense.

This has nothing to do with your SJW obsession. The notions of winning/losing gracefully and not being a sore loser were DRILLED into the heads of most American children. Losing gracefully just does not seem to be a thing here as all of my CTs have allowed students to show out after losing and when I bring up that maybe we should tell them to stop, they look at me like I'm freaking Agetha Trunchbull.

I'm all for not making children feel bad and letting them all get a chance to shine, but they need to learn some damn manners. Begging for stickers/candy is rude and ungrateful.

Yeah, it makes things kind of difficult in the classroom. One tries to make things interesting by playing a game, but it often ends up in tears. It's lose-lose. I could say they are coddled from birth which might explain their brattish behaviour, but that would just end up in yet another argument with the regulars.

I was forced to teach at two elementary schools this year even though my main school is a high school. The high school kids don't seem that different to the elem kids apart from the crying

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6997 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »

YAWN. So preoccupied with pushing an agenda you aren't even trying to make sense.

This has nothing to do with your SJW obsession. The notions of winning/losing gracefully and not being a sore loser were DRILLED into the heads of most American children. Losing gracefully just does not seem to be a thing here as all of my CTs have allowed students to show out after losing and when I bring up that maybe we should tell them to stop, they look at me like I'm freaking Agetha Trunchbull.

I'm all for not making children feel bad and letting them all get a chance to shine, but they need to learn some damn manners. Begging for stickers/candy is rude and ungrateful.

Yeah, it makes things kind of difficult in the classroom. One tries to make things interesting by playing a game, but it often ends up in tears. It's lose-lose. I could say they are coddled from birth which might explain their brattish behaviour, but that would just end up in yet another argument with the regulars.

I was forced to teach at two elementary schools this year even though my main school is a high school. The high school kids don't seem that different to the elem kids apart from the crying

I think this comes down to the school environment. I don't have any of these issues when I play game. The winner gets candy, the losers don't get anything. The end. If they say "teacher, again!" I say no and we move on.

Maybe the kids have come to always expect a prize? At my schools, I give candy infrequently, so sometimes when they play a game, they get candy and sometimes they don't. They've come to accept that they may not receive a prize, so winning a game doesn't get so life or death.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6998 on: September 27, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
I guess I'm just speaking in particular for my students but it's not even the crying that gets me.

My students rarely cry, but when they do, I understand. A lot of the time they cry because they feel embarrassed or because they let their team down. A lot of kids also say mean shit during games and make others feel bad for screwing up. I can also tell they don't want to cry. Sometimes they do it quietly so no one notices. It can be annoying but I don't think that it's from poor parenting (for my students at least)

However my students get ANGRY when they don't win. They push their desks, yell, and slam their books. They show out and try to get attention. They whine and groan and honestly sound like they're in pain. It's ridiculous... and once a few students do it, it catches on and half the class is acting like the world is ending because they didn't win this round of BINGO. There aren't any tears, but they just do it because THEY WANT STICKERS AND THEY WANT THEM NOW.

If it were up to me, I'd cancel the game until they learned how to play with some manners. But, the K-teachers have different priorities I guess.

Seems the Korean teachers haven't instilled good manners in them. Hopefully, they'll go to a middle school where this attitude is discouraged.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6999 on: September 27, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »
I guess I'm just speaking in particular for my students but it's not even the crying that gets me.

My students rarely cry, but when they do, I understand. A lot of the time they cry because they feel embarrassed or because they let their team down. A lot of kids also say mean shit during games and make others feel bad for screwing up. I can also tell they don't want to cry. Sometimes they do it quietly so no one notices. It can be annoying but I don't think that it's from poor parenting (for my students at least)

However my students get ANGRY when they don't win. They push their desks, yell, and slam their books. They show out and try to get attention. They whine and groan and honestly sound like they're in pain. It's ridiculous... and once a few students do it, it catches on and half the class is acting like the world is ending because they didn't win this round of BINGO. There aren't any tears, but they just do it because THEY WANT STICKERS AND THEY WANT THEM NOW.

If it were up to me, I'd cancel the game until they learned how to play with some manners. But, the K-teachers have different priorities I guess.

Seems the Korean teachers haven't instilled good manners in them. Hopefully, they'll go to a middle school where this attitude is discouraged.

Should manners come from home or teachers?

I see shocking manners all of the time with my high school students. Not all of them, though.

It's interesting when you hear about some of the lives of one's students. Dad ran away so mum works as a norebang assistant, student X has to study very hard to support mum as she has no money has no money due to dad running off etc. When you hear some of these stories, it can make one a little more open minded when dealing with bad behaviour.

At least at high school, many teachers don't know how to discipline the students any more now that they can't hit them. The result is they are more and more like Western kids.

Bring back the STICK!!!