October 18, 2018, 07:32:43 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1121385 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6860 on: September 14, 2017, 08:51:12 AM »
Y'all got that one teacher who talks louder than a Boeing747 taking off in the school office? I've got one of them and a female teacher who's voice sounds like nails scraping down a chalkboard. 
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

gidget

« Reply #6861 on: September 14, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »
I just saw my CT on the other website-that-must-be-spoken-of.

I can't complain on either forum!!   :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6862 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »
In May, I was told that teaching the 2nd and 3rd year middle school kids how to read large numbers was too easy for them.

Guess who can't read the large numbers that are part of the lesson we're doing now.
I would say that a good twelve-twentieths of my grade three middle school students still mix up "12" and "20"
I see what you did there.  But the remnants of the math teacher in me wants to point out that you should reduce that fraction to three-fifths.
Well, I wouldn't want to oversimplify things and come across as patronising.  :smiley:

I remember my dad's favourite mathematical expression when talking about politicians or people he didn't like, and that was 'he knows three-fifths of fcuk-all'.  The answer being?

We used to say "Square root of bugger all".

Also, "She doesn't have a click."  A click being 1/60 of a clue.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6863 on: September 14, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
Co-T: *when referring to prepositions of place on/in/under* We don't say "Where is the pencil?" We say "Where is a pencil?"

No.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6864 on: September 15, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
No ranting today.  It's friday.  I only have 3 classes on Friday.  First period is free.  The weather is seasonably cool and nice.  (So I'm told.  Expats said last night Sept is usually still pretty humid most years.)  Either way, it's Friday.  Nothing to complain about here.  Happy Friday everyone!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:16:42 AM by hangook77 »

Offline Maclean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6865 on: September 15, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
I wish my idiot co-teacher would stop telling students to open their books to "paygee 35." If you can't pronounce 'page' then you shouldn't be teaching English.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6866 on: September 15, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »
I wish my idiot co-teacher would stop telling students to open their books to "paygee 35." If you can't pronounce 'page' then you shouldn't be teaching English.

Eat ijuh aw pensheel.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:42:34 AM by CO2 »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6867 on: September 15, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »

could be worse

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6868 on: September 15, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
I'd like to preemptively rant about how my coteacher is going to give the kids the answer to whatever warm up I decided to do tomorrow.

It happened. If you don't think your kids can unscramble the word 'tree', that says something about your abilities. Or maybe he just wants to show off that he's so good with English??? I don't get it.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6869 on: September 15, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
This and last week have been horrible. It's like there's an infection.

I don't know all of the details, but apparently the student body has been especially rebellious within the last month or so, and the powers-that-be have been cracking down. As a result, attitudes are bad and tensions are high, and all of that bullshit has been bleeding into my classes as well.

It isn't anarchy or anything, it's really only around 1-3 students per class, but these students have been getting into aggressive arguments with teachers and attempting to discredit them in various ways. Which means, as a foreigner, they feel like they can get right up in my face, and they have... and my coTs have been too shocked by the students' actions to react at first (they don't seem to realize that bigotry starts young and that it's a runoff from the people they're exposed to on a regular basis, namely family and friends).

It was no big surprise to me, I've been in Korea long enough to expect it from a certain type of personality, and I know how to handle it. I just wish my coTs did and that they didn't all think that Korean students aren't capable of this kind of behavior, lol. Seriously, teenagers aren't adults, yet, their mental and emotional maturities are still developing, so I'm not sure why it comes as a surprise whenever their behaviors sometimes reflect that, or why some teachers can't realize when the kids are purposely trying to upset them by using any means necessary.

I'm both aggravated and tired, not so much at the students as I am at how the school is choosing to handle them. Makes my job harder.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:02:11 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6870 on: September 15, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
No ranting today.  It's friday.  I only have 3 classes on Friday.  First period is free.  The weather is seasonably cool and nice.  (So I'm told.  Expats said last night Sept is usually still pretty humid most years.)  Either way, it's Friday.  Nothing to complain about here.  Happy Friday everyone!!!

You're in the wrong thread.

Just kidding, have a good weekend.

We could always whinge about the lack of ranting.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6871 on: September 15, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
It always blows my mind what some of the kids will raise their hand for here.

:shocked: Teacher, the student sitting next to me has a 1.5cm rip on the last page of their textbook.

:shocked: Teacher, the eraser fell off of Minho's pencil.

Okay? The hell do you want us to do about it? hahaha You're in grade 4, figure it out.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6872 on: September 15, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »
I teach 3rd and 4th grade with the homeroom teachers, and all year I have been trying so hard to get the kids to raise their hand without screaming when they volunteer/answer a question. It's been going pretty well and a lot of the kids understand these days that if they want me to call on them they have to raise their hand quietly.

Today one of the 4th grade teachers completely destroyed all progress I made with his class. I had quite a few volunteers to answer a question, and while I was calling on a student I could hear the homeroom teacher telling the kids where he was standing to yell, "ME ME ME!"  >:( >:( >:( So now these kids start shrieking at me and I'm standing there resisting the urge to sink to the floor and cover my ears because they were so loud. I'm not going to reward the loud kids for overpowering the quiet (and usually better behaved) students who are also eager to answer questions but can't get a word in edgewise because of the little brats who are screaming.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6873 on: September 15, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »
I received a 10% warning (which lead to me being muted) for "Posting in the wrong thread" (several weeks after i made the posting i might add).  I just noticed someone else today had their topic moved as it was in the the wrong thread, yet they have no 10% warning.  Where  is the consitency?

As i am being moderated, this more than likely will not be posted!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:04:31 PM by sligo »

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6874 on: September 16, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »
I received a 10% warning (which lead to me being muted) for "Posting in the wrong thread" (several weeks after i made the posting i might add).  I just noticed someone else today had their topic moved as it was in the the wrong thread, yet they have no 10% warning.  Where  is the consitency?

As i am being moderated, this more than likely will not be posted!

I had exactly the same issue, 2 weeks after posting the thread.
It was regarding the computer skills of my CTs.
Apparently, posting it in the 'Open Discussion' thread warranted a warning, it should've been in the 'Contract in Job' thread... With the ambiguity of thread titles I can think of it being appropriate in at least 4 different threads:

Open Discussion
IT
Life in Korea
Contract and Job

I messaged the admin and haven't received a response... Perhaps I should wait 2 weeks? That seems to be their usual reaction time, maybe they use IE.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6875 on: September 16, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
I'm not going to reward the loud kids for overpowering the quiet (and usually better behaved) students who are also eager to answer questions but can't get a word in edgewise because of the little brats who are screaming.
I'll try to avoid picking on the students who are showing out/making a scene until they calm down but my CT always makes comments like "so-and-so really wants to answer..." like nudging me to choose the loudest over the ones who are actually following my rules.
I just straight up tell my little rugrats that I will not choose anybody who is yelling. They know the rules (even if they don't always follow them): raise your hand quietly or be ignored forever!  :evil:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6876 on: September 16, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »
I'm not going to reward the loud kids for overpowering the quiet (and usually better behaved) students who are also eager to answer questions but can't get a word in edgewise because of the little brats who are screaming.
I'll try to avoid picking on the students who are showing out/making a scene until they calm down but my CT always makes comments like "so-and-so really wants to answer..." like nudging me to choose the loudest over the ones who are actually following my rules.
I just straight up tell my little rugrats that I will not choose anybody who is yelling. They know the rules (even if they don't always follow them): raise your hand quietly or be ignored forever!  :evil:
Kyndo,

Have you ever had any kind of professional development on "engagement"?

One of the first things we were taught in teacher training: raise hands=bad, no raise hands=good.

There are obvious answers as to why, but have you ever considered other ways to keep the entire class engaged, rather than just a few students?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6877 on: September 17, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
Kyndo,

Have you ever had any kind of professional development on "engagement"?

One of the first things we were taught in teacher training: raise hands=bad, no raise hands=good.

There are obvious answers as to why, but have you ever considered other ways to keep the entire class engaged, rather than just a few students?
Yes indeedy-do.
 I definitely have.
And it's because my lessons are so darn awesomely engaging that I consistently have 30 super engaged students competing with each other to answer questions that I need to enforce some kind of volume control! with SO much engagement going on, I'm worried that if I don't add some kind order, the (super engaged) chaos will cause the administration to think that we're engaging in some kind of riot.

Just because some students aren't jumping up and down and screaming doesn't mean they're not following along: some kids are just naturally quieter than others. They deserve a chance to show their proficiency as well.
As your teaching classes have undoubtedly mentioned, having students raise their hands in class is only bad if it limits student participation. My issue is that everybody is raising their hands (they *all* want to participate) and some are, in addition to raising their hands, screaming etc.

I like noise, but there *is* a limit. Be quiet while raising your hand or else be ignored forever and ever amen.
 :angel:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:08:10 PM by kyndo »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6878 on: September 17, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
Great.

Ever tried plickers or a similar form of a "clicker"?  Random name generator or other to take bias out of the selection process?

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6879 on: September 17, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »
what a con these so-called food banks are. i deposited a packet of dried squid there last week, and when i went to withdraw it today i was told it was gone.