December 17, 2018, 01:08:57 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1225741 times)

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6760 on: September 20, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »
I had a conversation with a student who came from Vietnam. This student was born in Korea, but had a Vietnamese mother. I thought that the student would be bilingual. However, the student did not know how to speak Vietnamese at all. I found out that people thought that Vietnamese was useless and that learning Vietnamese would be disruptive while learning English and Korean. The student lost the opportunity to learn Vietnamese due to this mindset. This is a great national loss. [In Daegu, although the number of students is falling, multicultural families grew from 1,423 in 2013 to 3,400 in 2017]

This sounds like a decision made by the parents way before their kid started to learn English. My wife's cousin is married to a Filipina and the language of the house is Korean. I'm pretty sure their kids don't speak English either come to think of it. Not sure why this politician thinks it's a 'great national loss'.

Also making English optional wouldn't necessarily solve the particular issue he mentioned. So the half Vietnamese kid is not made to study English at school, will he be made to study Vietnamese? If not there's no guarantee he'll learn Vietnamese at home. Presumably the father won't speak any. He might end up with only one obscure language and a missed opportunity to learn the international one.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:28:08 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6761 on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
I had a conversation with a student who came from Vietnam. This student was born in Korea, but had a Vietnamese mother. I thought that the student would be bilingual. However, the student did not know how to speak Vietnamese at all. I found out that people thought that Vietnamese was useless and that learning Vietnamese would be disruptive while learning English and Korean. The student lost the opportunity to learn Vietnamese due to this mindset. This is a great national loss. [In Daegu, although the number of students is falling, multicultural families grew from 1,423 in 2013 to 3,400 in 2017]

This sounds like a decision made by the parents way before their kid started to learn English. My wife's cousin is married to a Filipina and the language of the house is Korean. I'm pretty sure their kids don't speak English either come to think of it. Not sure why this politician thinks it's a 'great national loss'.

Also making English optional wouldn't necessarily solve the particular issue he mentioned. So the half Vietnamese kid is not made to study English at school, will he be made to study Vietnamese? If not there's no guarantee he'll learn Vietnamese at home. Presumably the father won't speak any. He might end up with only one obscure language and a missed opportunity to learn the international one.

Knew a half Japanese person back in the states who was monolingual because apparently her Japanese parent was bullied in school so the parent decided that the kid would learn only English.   :undecided: 

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #6762 on: September 21, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »
I have not been able to find chickpeas .... and now that CO2 posted that brothers green video in another thread a am angry and will also probably be disappointed with my lunch.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #6763 on: September 21, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »

Knew a half Japanese person back in the states who was monolingual because apparently her Japanese parent was bullied in school so the parent decided that the kid would learn only English.   :undecided:

It's unfortunate that parents think that way, because it's literally almost effortless for a kid to be bilingual if they're exposed to two languages spoken at home during early development. One of my close friends from home is fluently tri-lingual naturally, as English, Hokkien (Chinese dialect) and Tagalog were all spoken in her home. That's obviously an exceptional case, but being exposed in a non-academic setting from an early age makes language acquisition very, very easy, and will likely make it easier for that person to learn languages through study and practice at a later point in their life.

Wouldn't say it's effortless.
We are in the process of introducing this with my son right now. It takes a concerted effort by the parents and people around the family to make it work, especily if both parents are not fluent in both of the languages being taught.
Most people do OPOL, one person, one language, where each parent speaks their native language exclusively to the child. Research shows that it must be total, no wavering. So say, my Korean is just OK, I'm not going to be able to understand what my wife and son are talking about all of the time, which could be frustrating for a parent. If it was a Viet/Korean family, most Korean men would understand basically zero Vietnamese, so it would be even more alienating.

If you do it half assed, you will have a kid who is a mish mash of two languages and not particularly good at either.

Also most researchers agree there is a period usually before elementary school and first few grades, where the child will seem to be behind the other kids in the native langugae of the country, reading, writing and speaking. This usually corrects itself within a couple of years. But you can see how some families would panic a bit at this prospect. Especially living in Korea.

Obviously if you stick at it the advantages of being truly bilingual are huge. Even on just a personal level of having a connection to the two cultures of your family. But it's not always as simple as we might expect it to be.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6764 on: September 21, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
I have not been able to find chickpeas .... and now that CO2 posted that brothers green video in another thread a am angry and will also probably be disappointed with my lunch.
All of the major stores have them now, so you shouldn't have any difficulty in finding chickpeas/garbanzo beans.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6765 on: September 21, 2017, 11:46:41 AM »

Korean fried chicken is shit. This is a real chicken. Enjoy salivating, you naughty, naughty waygs.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6766 on: September 21, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
All of the major stores have them now, so you shouldn't have any difficulty in finding chickpeas/garbanzo beans.

Do you mean in Seoul / Online?

Because my nearest Lotte and Homeplus don't  >:(

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6767 on: September 21, 2017, 11:48:40 AM »
So a bit sensitive here, and this is NOT an invitation to get into a heated discussion about this topic. I just have to get it off my chest. If I see something like this again I will start speaking with my co-workers about it.

Buckle up. This is a long one.

Perhaps grow a pair of balls and talk to your boss about this. Hope that's not breaking the TOS.

Exacty. That's what I really don't understand about situations like this. It obviously bothers that particular person. But they do nothing! Just foaming at the mouth and internal judgement. If it bothers you that much, why not do something about it? Or just admit that it's not THAT big of an issue for you, that "ruined my day" is a gross exaggeration.  Because it certainly was not big enough for you to stand up for what you think is right... But I guess typing away is much easier than actually manning up for your ideals  :rolleyes:

That's my rant for the day  :laugh:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6768 on: September 21, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »

Yeah. Not all of the stores have them all of the time. So there is that. And not everyone lives in a a city with a large number of "major stores".

I can sometimes get them with ease and other times i can;t find them for months I have to take a 40 minute train trip and then taxi in the hopes the next town over has them. Not everyone has your life Pecan.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6769 on: September 21, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »

Yeah, both the Lotte and Homeplus have them in dry form, not canned, if that is what you have been looking for.

Go to the dried goods section, with the other beans, etc.

Offline beautia

• Waygookin
« Reply #6770 on: September 21, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »

You can order chickpeas, "병아리콩," through coupang. They're dried, not canned, so you have to presoak and cook them.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6771 on: September 21, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »

Yeah, both the Lotte and Homeplus have them in dry form, not canned, if that is what you have been looking for.

Go to the dried goods section, with the other beans, etc.

Nope not dried, not canned, NOT ANY. Zilch, nada, fokol. I am not a half wit and neither are many other folk on here, of course we have looked in the dried section. Sometimes if someone says "hey we never/hardly ever get those", perhaps accept that as reality, instead of assuming you have some superior mental acuity that others do not.

And yes, Cowboy, I order from Gmarket in bulk, still takes 3-4 days to get to me though. But I have learned. I was making a point. Not all of us can just pop out to the nearest big store and stock up.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6772 on: September 21, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »
 :laugh:
 ;D
 :blank:

Offline Athena

• Waygookin
« Reply #6773 on: September 21, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
I just order my chickpeas from here, pretty easy to find online, dunno what the big deal is
http://www.ktfoods.com/goods/goods_search.php?adUrl=%2Fgoods%2Fgoods_view.php%3FgoodsNo%3D1000000198&keyword=%EB%B3%91%EC%95%84%EB%A6%AC%EC%BD%A9&recentCount=10

or just get them from iHerb: https://kr.iherb.com/search?kw=chickpeas

If you live in Seoul, you can get them at the foreigner market too

\_(ツ)_/

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6774 on: September 21, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
I went to buy goats milk, and the Lotte employee tells me "We don't have goat's milk."

I'm like "No, you have goats milk."

She replies, "No, sorry.  We don't."

I continue my search and headed for the "expensive" section, called "organic", though it is NOT, and THERE on the shelf in the refrigerated section was milk and yogurt from...goats!!!

I grab some goat's milk and some yogurt and swing by the Lotte employee to show her what I found.

My point, just because one thinks something doesn't "exist" doesn't make it true.

Look around.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6775 on: September 21, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »

Costco.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #6776 on: September 21, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »
Homeplus at least in Seoul, has them in the foreign foods aisle. In cans.

Costco.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #6777 on: September 21, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
So a bit sensitive here, and this is NOT an invitation to get into a heated discussion about this topic. I just have to get it off my chest. If I see something like this again I will start speaking with my co-workers about it.

Buckle up. This is a long one.

Perhaps grow a pair of balls and talk to your boss about this. Hope that's not breaking the TOS.

Exacty. That's what I really don't understand about situations like this. It obviously bothers that particular person. But they do nothing! Just foaming at the mouth and internal judgement. If it bothers you that much, why not do something about it? Or just admit that it's not THAT big of an issue for you, that "ruined my day" is a gross exaggeration.  Because it certainly was not big enough for you to stand up for what you think is right... But I guess typing away is much easier than actually manning up for your ideals  :rolleyes:

That's my rant for the day  :laugh:

Didn't really have a solid opportunity to talk to anyone about it soon after it happened. But since writing my post I have talked to a few individuals about it and they share my sentiment. I don't think you can speak for me when I say something made me feel a certain way, but I guess you can try as you might :undecided: By "ruined my day" I meant it put me in a sour mood for the rest of the day as I didn't have the right opportunity to tell anyone. When I told them, they said they would look into it. If it continues, I'll just bring it up again and again.

But hey man, assume what you want. Makes no difference to me.

In other news, Thursday is quickly becoming my least favorite day. The third graders are quite possibly the worst students I've ever seen in my time here. And while the other 4 teachers I teach with for grades 5 and 6 are great at controlling their students, (they are homeroom teachers, so figures) the teacher I teach with for 3rd grade will yell at the students occasionally but that's really it. And she doesn't control them all the time, which sends very mixed signals to the students I'm guessing. Don't feel like typing out the details as I'm mentally drained. Perhaps another time. Blah.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6778 on: September 21, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »
I went to buy goats milk, and the Lotte employee tells me "We don't have goat's milk."

I continue my search and headed for the "expensive" section, called "organic", though it is NOT, and THERE on the shelf in the refrigerated section was milk and yogurt from...goats!!!

I grab some goat's milk and some yogurt and swing by the Lotte employee to show her what I found.

My point, just because one thinks something doesn't "exist" doesn't make it true.

Look around.

Depending on where you live.  I am pretty sure that most human beings are able to do just as you have suggested and discover that in fact sometimes when it isn't available it actually just isn't available. I live in a town with a home plus. A very tiny home plus, pretty much the same size as a normal towns GS25. That is it folks. People cry - COSTCO- Foreign market. Okay, what if we live in rural nowhere and the nearest "real town" is about an hour away. Costco the closest one to me is 2 and a half hours away on a bus.

I am not trying to say it is impossible to get, of course it's possible. I am just saying not readily available to all of us.

I can't just get a hankering for hummus at 10 pm at night and pop out to my Home Plus foreign food aisle for chickpeas, we don't have a foreign food aisle.  I have to plan and order from gmarket, keep a stock handy. If a recipe suddenly calls for chickpeas, oh darn-it-all forgot to stock up on those, let me pop out to the_______ :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:

The point I am trying to make is that just because something is readily available for some does not mean it is readily available for everyone. Just be mindful of that.
-A.A. Milne

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6779 on: September 21, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »

Look around.

Depending on where you live.  I am pretty sure that most human beings are able to do just as you have suggested and discover that in fact sometimes when it isn't available it actually just isn't available. I live in a town with a home plus. A very tiny home plus, pretty much the same size as a normal towns GS25. That is it folks. People cry - COSTCO- Foreign market. Okay, what if we live in rural nowhere and the nearest "real town" is about an hour away. Costco the closest one to me is 2 and a half hours away on a bus.

I am not trying to say it is impossible to get, of course it's possible. I am just saying not readily available to all of us.

I can't just get a hankering for hummus at 10 pm at night and pop out to my Home Plus foreign food aisle for chickpeas, we don't have a foreign food aisle.  I have to plan and order from gmarket, keep a stock handy. If a recipe suddenly calls for chickpeas, oh darn-it-all forgot to stock up on those, let me pop out to the_______ :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:

The point I am trying to make is that just because something is readily available for some does not mean it is readily available for everyone. Just be mindful of that.

Waygook.org user What?What? - you're a smart and independent person who rarely complains and I think you're cool and good. And living somewhere rural is probably really annoying.

But all the people crying, "COSTCO! FOREIGN FOOD MARKET! LOTTE MART! EMART! WHEREVER!!!" are like, ignoring the fact that Gmarket is literally better than all of those unless you live like a two minute walk away.. Why pay more for something that you have to go collect and carry? It's goofy.

Y'all want chickpeas? Let me hit y'all with the good chickpeas.

Want dry chickpeas? HOT DANG 1kg dry chickpeas for 2900 plus 3000 (combinable Smart Shipping).

Want chickpeas encased in literal metal? Four cans of literal canned chickpeas for 9,200 with free shipping oh my golly!!!

Also, to clarify, I'm not saying you're a dummy or nothing for not using this. But sometimes I don't think people realize that online shopping is literally better than going to a store in 90% of cases. (Clothes being an exception - ugh never buy clothes online)

Not arguing with you on that. I can only shop with gmarket, I have no problem with that.  But that is just me. I can't speak for everyone else.
-A.A. Milne