September 25, 2018, 06:37:23 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098082 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6700 on: September 06, 2017, 01:18:20 PM »
And shame on you for not recognising a ginkgo when you see one!

I know what all of these trees are, I just think it's stupid to name them like that. Like, I'd never seen a gingko tree til I'd come here. So if I was only here for a few weeks and read that, I would have seen a gingko tree without even knowing it. Life would pass me by!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6701 on: September 06, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
And shame on you for not recognising a ginkgo when you see one!

I know what all of these trees are, I just think it's stupid to name them like that. Like, I'd never seen a gingko tree til I'd come here. So if I was only here for a few weeks and read that, I would have seen a gingko tree without even knowing it. Life would pass me by!
An item on your bucket list that you would forever leave unscratched.  Tragedy. :cry:

Look, I know that you know what a ginkgo is, but I've been searching for excuses to post that gif: my goal for this period of desk-warming is to use it at least 5 times -- or maybe 10 if I can bring myself to visit one of the political threads...

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6702 on: September 06, 2017, 01:39:04 PM »
I've been trying to buy Olympic tickets for an hour now, and it just says, ""좌석 배정중입니다." I'm not sure if the seating actually is in progress or the site has just forgotten about me.  :cry:

Update: After two hours I have a ticket for figure skating and for the opening ceremony!

May I ask where did you buy the tickets from? I'm also interested in potentially attending both the opening ceremony and one of the figure skating events.
Here. https://tickets.pyeongchang2018.com/Session Use your ARC card to sign up, and when you buy the tickets you can either pay for them with your Visa card or do a bank transfer.

How much were those tickets?
The opening ceremony was 220,000, and the figure skating was 150,000. I got the cheapest tickets for each event.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6703 on: September 06, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
I only teach 4 pages out of my least favorite school's book, and I'm having a hard time trying to stretch this chapter to fit 3 weeks.  :cry:

ALSO, my landlady complained to my CoT how messy my room is because she had to enter to fix my toilet. Like, wtf, does it matter? Because of that my CoT felt it necessary to remind me that I need to clean the room before I left. Did he really think I was going to leave all my clothes and suitcases that are strewn about? I would understand if it was actually dirty, but it's just messy because I'm preparing to ship a suitcase home and have torn up my room trying to decide what to send.

TL;DR Who cares if my room is messy. It's mine until November.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:00:40 PM by jddavis7 »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6704 on: September 06, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
I do.

How old do you have to be?

I'm 45... any younger?
I'm 35. But I think it's people 30 and under.

I'm 29 and British. I remember it being on tv loads when I was a kid, back when we only had 4 channels as well haha. I was just singing the Happy Days theme song to my boyfriend the other day as we were watching him in Arrested Development.

I'm 55. You lost me...

GUFFER, MAKE THIS THREAD ACCESSIBLE FOR ALL PEOPLE!!

Showing a picture that some people might or might not recognise is of course communicating in a medium everyone recognises - a photo. Just as If I asked everyone on here whether they knew who the Fonz was, English speakers would understand the question, even if they didn't recognise the name.

If you are advocating that we make the subject matter more accessible to everyone,  that's another issue. 

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6705 on: September 06, 2017, 02:07:43 PM »
It's just so weird to specify that jeans are blue outside of a song, but I do a teachers class and in it they're always trying to over-complicate words too. Or find a word so scientifically specific that the majority of English speakers have never heard it used in a conversation with a non doctor. One tried to tell me she had Chondromalacia patella the other day (I had to google it to find the term again). I told her "knee problems" or "knee pain" would be something better and easier to say but no. Naver wins again. She can't even say it, she'll just type it out and be like "this!" and expect someone to be like "oh yeah I know what that is!"

I think this week has just been especially bad for people not trusting my word choice o.o

It's like going to a botanical garden here.

소나무/Pinus tabuliformis  대나무/Eremitis parviflora 은행/Salisburia adiantifolia

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: WTF am I looking at?

Latin plant and animal names are common in gardens and zoos regardless of local languages.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6706 on: September 06, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
I do.

How old do you have to be?

I'm 45... any younger?
I'm 35. But I think it's people 30 and under.

I'm 29 and British. I remember it being on tv loads when I was a kid, back when we only had 4 channels as well haha. I was just singing the Happy Days theme song to my boyfriend the other day as we were watching him in Arrested Development.

I'm 55. You lost me...

GUFFER, MAKE THIS THREAD ACCESSIBLE FOR ALL PEOPLE!!

Showing a picture that some people might or might not recognise is of course communicating in a medium everyone recognises - a photo. Just as If I asked everyone on here whether they knew who the Fonz was, English speakers would understand the question, even if they didn't recognise the name.

If you are advocating that we make the subject matter more accessible to everyone,  that's another issue.

You are taking the court jester a little too seriously.   :smiley:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6707 on: September 06, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
Latin plant and animal names are common in gardens and zoos regardless of local languages.

Yes, and when I go to a museum, they most likely have either KOREAN or KOREAN/ENGLISH.

I've never seen KOREAN/LATIN. hahaha

I do get what you're saying though.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6708 on: September 06, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »
my landlady complained to my CoT how messy my room is because she had to enter to fix my toilet. Like, wtf, does it matter? Because of that my CoT felt it necessary to remind me that I need to clean the room before I left.
Nasty.

I've known "people" like you ;)

Like in the states, your landlord has every right to demand and expect that each tenant will maintain the property.

Consider yourself lucky that your landlord hasn't moved to issue you a written notice.

We are slumlords in the states and one of the biggest issues landlords face is tenants that fail to maintain clean and sanitary living conditions.

When renters, like you, fail to keep a place clean, it attracts rodents and other vermin.

We have never had to issue a "comply or quit notice", but your landlord would have every right to issue a notice to you.

Shame on you :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:40:22 PM by Pecan »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6709 on: September 06, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
Wow. You must really love you some Olympics.
Sure do! Besides Christmas they're probably my favorite event. My whole family gets really into it. It's a little expensive, but I'm not going on a fancy vacation this winter, and it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And the opening ceremony and the figuring skating are on the same day, so I won't be over there too long.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6710 on: September 06, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »
my landlady complained to my CoT how messy my room is because she had to enter to fix my toilet. Like, wtf, does it matter? Because of that my CoT felt it necessary to remind me that I need to clean the room before I left.
Nasty.

Like in the states, your landlord has every right to demand and expect that each tenant will maintain the property.

Consider yourself lucky that your landlord hasn't moved to issue you a written notice.

We are slumlords in the states and one of the biggest issues landlords face is tenants that fail to maintain clean and sanitary living conditions.

When renters, like you, fail to keep a place clean, it attracts rodents and other vermin.

We have never had to issue a "comply or quit notice", but your landlord would have every right to issue a notice to you.

You know the difference between messy and dirty I take it? You would if you'd ever had kids.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:47:43 PM by eggieguffer »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6711 on: September 06, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Old food under the counter? Landlords business.

All of my LOST DVDs scattered all over the floor? Leave me the f alone.

Laundry not in the hamper? Leave me the f alone.

Haven't washed the bathroom in 6 months. Landlords business.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6712 on: September 06, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
Too many coffees can't stop randomly clicking my mouse button and typing random shit on waygook.

gidget

« Reply #6713 on: September 06, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
CT: I like games. I love games. I like energy. Speaking is very important. We must make them speak very much! The students must be active in class. Lots of speaking! Lots of energy?
Me: Really? Great!
CT: But the games must sit in their chairs.
Me: …Th- Oh! The students must sit? You don’t want them to move?
CT: No. They must stay in their chairs.
Me: So, group games at their desks?
CT: No. Students make a noise when they turn around. Students must not move.
Me: OK… so quiet speaking activities with their partners. I can do that.
CT: No. Too noisy. Quiet. Quiet is important. Students must not speak to each other. They must be quiet.
Me: You want students to do speaking activities by themselves.
CT: No. Students can speak. Just not together. Or out loud.

The teacher I'm sharing the office with was sniggering like anything as she listened to this conversation; and then gave me chocolate and told me it helps.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6714 on: September 06, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
I don't like nosy landlords. My landlord contacted my CT to tell her I was using a lot of hot water. So my CT asked if I had another person living with me or not...

It's not that I wasn't paying my bill, I was, it was just a little higher than average. I didn't know what to say because the awkward part of it being that my bf WAS spending a lot of time at my place and it could have been a reason for the higher bill. Not going to tell my CT that though!

It's possible she was just concerned if there was a leak or something but for my CT to immediately bring it up as "are you living alone or with another person?" was weird. The landlords also go through the garbage to an extreme extent. I posted about this a while ago, thinking maybe it was some homeless person going through the trash, but no it's my landlord and maybe her husband opening up everyone's plastic waste bags and re-sorting them. Feels like an invasion of privacy :/
Some rental agreements stipulate the number of tenants. Sometimes rental price is dependant on the number of tenants. Could be your landlord's way of asking whether or not he needs to be charging you more for rent.  :smiley:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6715 on: September 06, 2017, 03:10:48 PM »
I don't like nosy landlords. My landlord contacted my CT to tell her I was using a lot of hot water. So my CT asked if I had another person living with me or not...
You can be allowed a guest, but if your partner isn't on the lease and shacking up with you, that is a different matter.

Knowing Korea, I'm 100% certain that your landlord knows your partner is sleeping over and 100% certain that your landlord informed your CT that you often have overnight "guests".

Give your CT credit for being indirect about it and please take the hint she gave you.

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #6716 on: September 06, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »
Nasty.

Wow, patronising one you are.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6717 on: September 06, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
You know the difference between messy and dirty I take it? You would if you'd ever had kids.
Heard.

Do you know the difference between ignorant and lazy?

The ignorant can be taught, but there is NO hope for the lazy.

From what jddavis posted, it sounded EXACTLY like the lazy, and not like someone who simply doesn't know any better.

I could be wrong, but...

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6718 on: September 06, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
Nasty.

I almost didn't the apartment I have now because of the previous NET, and there isn't many places to rent where I am. The person I replaced here lived in the apartment for 3 years, and never cleaned a single time. My co-teacher showed me photos of how the apartment looked after the person vacated.

The person used one of the spare rooms to store full bags of rubbish, we had to throw away one of those plug in ovens, because it was so dirty and moldy on the inside, the chair my apartment has, I'm not sure if I should clean it and use it, or get them to remove it - the leather has lots of huge mold patches, but some parts look okay, there is a huge stain on the floor where some garbage fluids leaked from a bag, and the bathroom is so caked in dirt and stuff, that after 2 days of cleaning with a variety of cleaning stuff, I barely removed anything.

(Luckily, the school and landlady cleaned a lot before I moved in, but I still spent 80% of my free time cleaning everything during my first 2 weeks.)

Stuff like that I feel like the landlord has claims over.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6719 on: September 06, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »
Wow, patronising one you are.
Nothing compares to the hypocrisy of a hypocritical hypocritical critic :)