June 22, 2018, 06:47:37 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1001348 times)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6340 on: July 26, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »
All the teachers are walking around with big smiles on their faces because school ended today, and they keep asking, "Aren't you happy school is over?" Well I might be except I have summer camp for the next 10 days, so my vacation doesn't start until August 10th.  :cry:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6341 on: July 27, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
I have always spent a little of my own money on camp, I don't mind at all. My schools are generally on the poor end of the budget spectrum. So for this school I bought colour pens and crayons and glue sticks and stickers and pencils and erasers for prizes, I made camp "textbooks" and workbooks. I bought new markers and made laminated type whiteboards, I really prepped. 

MY DAY: Get to my travel school at 8am to prep for camp at 9, and no one can let me in until 8:55. (45 minute bus ride so...... >:( )

I grab my after school/camp file out of the admin office and I see that behind my attendance sheets I have report forms (normal at this school) of how the lesson went, and I note that there is one stark difference.................. the camp form has a section labelled "Snack/Treat", and just to make sure that I know what this means they attach a report form from the old teacher, which says "pizza" for every day of camp.  Wow awesome Pizza. Every Day. Wicked :afro: I was so happy!

I realised at about 9:30 that my CT is clearly not actually doing camp with me, but I wasn't too concerned. So I am thinking, maybe they just bring the pizza. No pizza arrived * I check all the cupboards - there are no snacks. I rush to the admin office during a 5 minute break... nope, no snacks for students.

I message the English head teacher, to ask. I am advised "no problem, I will ask one of the daycare teachers to sit with your students, you can go to the CU store and get snacks"...... For 21 students (1st class) and 8 students (2nd class)**. I must buy this. ***

I am not happy about this at all. I am keeping receipts and will be giving those to the admin office. I hope this is a misunderstanding. Truly. I cannot afford to buy all the  students pizza for a week! Holy hell!

* I have just found out that my CT is on vacation.

** only one student arrived for 2nd class

*** I bought chocopies and fanta orange
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #6342 on: July 27, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
Camp has been going really well so far and today I was really excited because it was a art focused day. It's Elem. Grade 3&4 with a few special needs students who are really into anything art related. 

I have the students doing those paintings where you draw on white paper with white (and coloured) crayon and then paint over it, usually with black paint.  The kids love seeing the white crayon suddenly appear.
Anyways, the activity is going great and the paintings are turning out incredibly.  It's a huge success and then my CoT steps in.  She starts painting on the kids' papers the way SHE thinks it should look like-completely defeating the purpose of using the crayons. It was so frustrating!

So now I have 15 almost identical paintings that were mostly done by a teacher instead of 15 unique student creations.
I'm pissed. >:(

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6343 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »
I have always spent a little of my own money on camp, I don't mind at all. My schools are generally on the poor end of the budget spectrum. So for this school I bought colour pens and crayons and glue sticks and stickers and pencils and erasers for prizes, I made camp "textbooks" and workbooks. I bought new markers and made laminated type whiteboards, I really prepped. 

MY DAY: Get to my travel school at 8am to prep for camp at 9, and no one can let me in until 8:55. (45 minute bus ride so...... >:( )

I grab my after school/camp file out of the admin office and I see that behind my attendance sheets I have report forms (normal at this school) of how the lesson went, and I note that there is one stark difference.................. the camp form has a section labelled "Snack/Treat", and just to make sure that I know what this means they attach a report form from the old teacher, which says "pizza" for every day of camp.  Wow awesome Pizza. Every Day. Wicked :afro: I was so happy!

I realised at about 9:30 that my CT is clearly not actually doing camp with me, but I wasn't too concerned. So I am thinking, maybe they just bring the pizza. No pizza arrived * I check all the cupboards - there are no snacks. I rush to the admin office during a 5 minute break... nope, no snacks for students.

I message the English head teacher, to ask. I am advised "no problem, I will ask one of the daycare teachers to sit with your students, you can go to the CU store and get snacks"...... For 21 students (1st class) and 8 students (2nd class)**. I must buy this. ***

I am not happy about this at all. I am keeping receipts and will be giving those to the admin office. I hope this is a misunderstanding. Truly. I cannot afford to buy all the  students pizza for a week! Holy hell!

* I have just found out that my CT is on vacation.

** only one student arrived for 2nd class

*** I bought chocopies and fanta orange

I buy stuff for my AS students sometimes (small cheap things like candy) for end of school parties etc

but if my school ever expected it or told me I had to I would be so frickin mad. It's horrible.  I'm mad for you!

"Forget your card" tomorrow.

You're a mug if you do this. Soz.

Hope you get it back!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:25:23 PM by Pennypie »

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6344 on: July 27, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
Camp's been going great, except my CT seems to be living on another planet. After endless nagging, asking me what materials to get for camp, she forgets the most basic essentials.

For cooking day (we just made sandwiches), she brings one loaf of bread for 20 students! She doesn't bring any plates and no knives... the students had to spread their butter, PB, jam and Nutella with a plastic Baskin Robbins spoon.

Nobody needs to tell her it's going to be crazy hot and with a few outdoor activities, we're definitely going to need a lot of soft-drinks and/or water, I reminded her anyway... according to my CT, "a lot" means 2... 2 bottles of juice for 20 students over 5 days!

Today, we made cardboard smore ovens and while she got too few 'crackers' to put the smores on, that wasn't the cherry on top. After a long 3 periods of making the ovens placing our ovens outside, waiting for 20min and bringing them back in, the students were literally begging for something cold to wash their smores down with.
My CT starts pouring paper cups with a thimble full of juice so there's enough to go around.
While the students are sipping, she hands me a carton of juice from her private stock and opens one for herself. This woman watches a bunch of parched students sip on their meagre rations while she sucks away at her juice.
Since I'm not a complete bastard, I go to some of the younger students and pour the contents of my juice into their cups. My CT sees this and gives me a sly dirty look... Well f*ck you too you selfish c**t.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6345 on: July 27, 2017, 04:53:18 PM »
Random rant- S'mores are disgusting. Diabetes between two graham crackers that turns into a goopy pile of crap that makes everyone sticky and messy. You're already out camping and haven't properly bathed for 24 hours with piss poor hygiene, now you want to add sticky sugar to your hands and wash it off with a few splashes of Aquafina?

Right up there with other disgusting trash foods like peanut butter cups, Doritos, Snickers pie, and frosting on cake.

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6346 on: July 27, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »
Random rant- S'mores are disgusting. Diabetes between two graham crackers that turns into a goopy pile of crap that makes everyone sticky and messy. You're already out camping and haven't properly bathed for 24 hours with piss poor hygiene, now you want to add sticky sugar to your hands and wash it off with a few splashes of Aquafina?

Right up there with other disgusting trash foods like peanut butter cups, Doritos, Snickers pie, and frosting on cake.

Not really random when Aristocrat mentioned it in the prior post.

I'd kill for real Doritos. The ones here suck.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6347 on: July 27, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »

You must be a bundle of joy on a camping trip.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6348 on: July 27, 2017, 06:11:32 PM »

Just toss him some Reece's Pieces, he'll be okay. He just needs his own kind of trash so he doesn't feel left out in the garbage fun.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6349 on: July 27, 2017, 06:46:43 PM »
A good cheese dongass ruined by an obscene amount of sauce layered on top :cry:

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6350 on: July 27, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »

Totally random. Thanks for keeping in the spirit of the thread sir or madam.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6351 on: July 27, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »

Sir or madam is right! Is dongass more or less random than s'mores? Anyway, Random or not, totally relatable, am I right??

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6352 on: July 27, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »

Sir or madam is right! Is dongass more or less random than s'mores? Anyway, Random or not, totally relatable, am I right??

Why so defensive? I was completely sincere. I didn't see your topic remotely referenced. Since it was a random thought.

Anyways I thought that I was in a thread which dragged mundane issue to the forefront. I apologize for being a bit upity.

Disagree with the cheese dongkas, but that's another thread.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6353 on: July 27, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »

Why so defensive? I was completely sincere. I didn't see your topic remotely referenced. Since it was a random thought.

Anyways I thought that I was in a thread which dragged mundane issue to the forefront. I apologize for being a bit upity.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6354 on: July 28, 2017, 12:05:49 AM »

Nah, my fault. I honestly wasn't sure how to take your response to my (random) complaint, but I somehow hadn't seen your response to Sir DeMartino's s'mores diatribe. It makes sense to me now, and it was clever (Sir D might say it was funny, but he gets those two mixed up sometimes. :afro:) I thought I had layered my response in an obscene-enough amount of saccarine good-humour to overwhelm the taste of any underlying under-cooked defensiveness, but the dongass (sp?) analogy ends there. So long as Sir D was the ultimate object of censure, I'm on board! I feel like I owe you a drink now...

It must be the heat. Or maybe it's the humidity...)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:36:20 AM by donovan »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6355 on: July 28, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »
i don't know why they don't put the sauce in a small separate bowl so you can dip the doncass in it, and it doesn't get all sloppy after the first 20 seconds

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6356 on: July 28, 2017, 08:21:45 AM »

Just toss him some Reece's Pieces, he'll be okay. He just needs his own kind of trash so he doesn't feel left out in the garbage fun.

What? You think most people actually want to sit around a camp fire eating nasty ass smores and listening to some idiot on an acoustic guitar? Not even the 5 blunts you rolled can cure that. If someone does that, that's when you say eff it and grab everyone and go off to the nearest podunk bar and see what happens. No, you want to get drunk on cheap beer and whiskey, head down to the beach, screw, blast good music, hop on the pontoon boat and party with other boats, etc.

But back to S'mores- I'm not 6 years old anymore. A mass of sugar between two graham crackers does not sound appetizing in the least. Why don't you go fish or hunt some bullfrogs or find some mushrooms or some wild asparagus so we can actually have real food?

An yes, Reese's Pieces are sublime, but for effs sake people get over the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. If those, Toblerones, and Ferreros are your idea of good chocolate....blech.

Smores and Peanut Butter Cups....I just don't see it.

And yes, brown sauce on your delivered and now spongy donkassu is sadness delivered to your home. Brown sauce on the side so the thing stays crispy, please. You can tell which restaurants actually halfway give a shit about their food if they do that by default or not.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6357 on: July 28, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »
This guy I'm seeing (Korean) told me I smell like "handmade high quality soup." Now my Western perspective takes this as...not a good thing. But he insists it's a compliment and, in fact, romantic.

I can kind of see why that would be true but has anyone ever heard this before?

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #6358 on: July 28, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not just soup. Handmade, high quality soup.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6359 on: July 28, 2017, 10:25:58 AM »
i don't know why they don't put the sauce in a small separate bowl so you can dip the doncass in it, and it doesn't get all sloppy after the first 20 seconds

Japanese shops do this, but they tend not to give enough sauce :rolleyes:

This guy I'm seeing (Korean) told me I smell like "handmade high quality soup." Now my Western perspective takes this as...not a good thing. But he insists it's a compliment and, in fact, romantic.

I can kind of see why that would be true but has anyone ever heard this before?

Don't judge him so harshly before considering the alternatives.

"You smell like an Irish spring!"

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018