December 14, 2018, 01:25:31 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1218575 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5260 on: May 17, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
Why is Gmarket ordering so difficult. Am I retarded?

I've linked it to my bank account, I think................ Has anyone else done this.

I don't have a credit card, just my checking card.

As a separate rant, I hate it when Koreans say that my KB bank card is a credit card. NO IT AIN'T, SUNSHINE.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5261 on: May 17, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Why is Gmarket ordering so difficult. Am I retarded?

I've linked it to my bank account, I think................ Has anyone else done this.

I don't have a credit card, just my checking card.

As a separate rant, I hate it when Koreans say that my KB bank card is a credit card. NO IT AIN'T, SUNSHINE.

Yeah, it was pretty easy I thought. You choose your bank, they send the appropriate routing/acct number and you do the transfer through your online banking.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5262 on: May 17, 2017, 02:02:19 PM »
I like pizza. I don't like onions.

I ordered my pizza and went to get it.

Potatoes. Check.
Corn. Check.
Cheese crust. Check.
Onions. Nope, check.

As I'm leaving the lady tells me she added green peppers to give it flavour...

There are only two things I don't like on pizza. Onions are in the second most hated position...

WTF.
I feel your pain.

Pizza places used to refuse to make cheese-only pizza, because they said it wouldn't be delicious :) (they aren't the ones eating it...go figure).

Lol, it worked out. My wife will eat anything and we had two pizzas. I just took the one with onions. Lesser of two evils.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5263 on: May 17, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
So, yesterday, I was driving home.  About 400 m from my place, there is a very busy little intersection of 2 narrow streets.  I am about 4 car lengths from the intersection - there are about 6 people crossing it in various directions, a parked car, and a couple of scooters in my forward field of view. I am taking it slow, because I don't know which way everybody is headed.

I hear "vrooom" on my left.  Some asshat in a van (with a corporate logo on it) it trying to pass me on the left (barely room to do it), while another scooter is passing me on the right.

I decide to lay on the horn so everybody sees this.

The van stops.  I proceed at the same (low) speed, slightly proud of myself.

I don't know what company it was, but I hope the people in the intersection recognized it.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #5264 on: May 17, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »
Maybe a Samsung employee?

I once saw a black Samsung-branded car with one of those tacky window stickers. I didn't take a picture, but I think I can do it justice.

Samsung
________
    Law

The above is fictional, but like the world we now live in-not implausible.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

donovan

« Reply #5265 on: May 17, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
A van with a logo.  My first thought was hagwon. :-[

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5266 on: May 17, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »
my rant for today - i teach in the homerooms. i often need to write stuff on the board.

and there is always SO. MUCH. CRAP. stuck to the damn boards that there is barely any writing space.

do none of the homerooms need to write on the boards here? ever? i guess the just sit and chill out and click through the CD Rom.

Online shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #5267 on: May 17, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
Somewhat related to the van, a couple weeks ago I saw what seemed like some sort of roadside assistance vehicle. One of its back windows had a huge sticker across it. What was the sticker? Homer Simpson, flipping the bird with both hands.

I wish I had taken a picture now, but man, that was surreal...

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5268 on: May 17, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
I don't understand these really narrow roads that they allow cars to drive two ways on?

if there weren't cars illegally parked on both sides of the road there probably would be enough space for 2 cars to drive down.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5269 on: May 17, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »
I don't understand these really narrow roads that they allow cars to drive two ways on?

Where I come from, any road that isn't big enough to fit two cars gets labeled as a 1way road. People generally follow the rules, no traffic congestion, honking, no people basically trying to drive up the side of a building to get around other cars. It's so much easier than having to wait while a car drives down a road before you can go & hoping no one else tries to drive at the same time as you. It seems like common sense...
Preaching to the choir...

Thankfully, some districts are adopting conversions to one-way streets.

As I'm sure you can image, there is always a lot of pushback, but give it time ;)

donovan

« Reply #5270 on: May 17, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »

Where I come from, any road that isn't big enough to fit two cars gets labeled as a 1way road. People generally follow the rules, no traffic congestion, honking, no people basically trying to drive up the side of a building to get around other cars. It's so much easier than having to wait while a car drives down a road before you can go & hoping no one else tries to drive at the same time as you. It seems like common sense...

As I'm sure you can image, there is always a lot of pushback, but give it time ;)

I've never seen a one-way street that didn't have two-way traffic here.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5271 on: May 17, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »

I've never seen a one-way street that didn't have two-way traffic here.
Isn't that the truth...

They spend millions on installing signs and painting the roads, yet many people don't care to follow them.

Without police actively doing their duty, only the conscientious follow the rules.

My favorite are the new bike lane chevrons...I doubt most know what they mean, nor care.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5272 on: May 17, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »
I think it is mostly due to population density.

If the number of asshats is evenly distributed (like, say, 1 in 100 people is true asshat), you will encounter more of them per square-kilometre in a higher density city.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5273 on: May 17, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
Why do I get these in my twitter feed?

I feel like Tobias Fünke.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5274 on: May 17, 2017, 06:42:27 PM »

Driving through Gwangju is infuriating, because of the poorly planned roads you're constantly switching lanes. Let's say your destination is 3km straight (as the crow flies) and you're driving in the middle lane. After 500m, that middle lane becomes left turn only, then you switch to the left lane and 500m later the left lane becomes a right turn only! Every 500m, you're switching lanes, and this causes traffic and accidents!

What do the scholars of city planning do? Wider roads? Oh no, more lanes. More lanes equals less space on the road which equals slower driving which leads to... Traffic!

Japan has exactly the same issues with space, but of course, they've done thing cleverly.
Let's not mention the affinity for Koreans to buy massive 4X4s to drive around narrow roads.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #5275 on: May 17, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
Some days I feel like anything beyond teaching my kids in Korean is too hard for them. They're extremely low level. I have 6th graders that barely know the alphabet. Even the homeroom teachers (there are no KETs at the school) barely speak English. I never know what lesson we're on. Even the simplest lesson I can come up (I've gotten to the point of just drilling the vocab and "erase the alphabet" games) with is still met with blank stares and post-class comments from the homeroom teacher of "too hard for them". They don't know crap, and they aren't improving. The books are too hard for them, but I still have to follow them to a T. Except when I'm not, but I'm magically supposed to know when that is. The teachers insist on moving forward even though the kids aren't ready, which leads to even more confusion and frustration for everyone involved. I'm not allowed to speak Korean at school (incredibly limited as it is), and even saying the page number in Korean results simply in gasps and shocked looks from the students rather than actually turning to that page because "OMG Teacher is speaking Korean."

I've had it with this school and I've got 9 more months on my contract. I dread going to school. I feel completely incompetent. The lack of communication from the school, the lack of ability to communicate with the other teachers, the expectation that the kids will just magically "know" English when they get 40 minutes a week with a NET they can't understand and 40-80 minutes with a crappy CD played by a homeroom teacher who can't speak English, is ridiculous.

These are probably fairly common complaints, but Jesus, it's driving me up a wall.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:02:03 PM by tadpole511 »

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #5276 on: May 18, 2017, 12:58:02 AM »
It's 2 AM and I can't sleep for the third night in a row despite being exhausted as all hell.

Tomorrow is gonna be a slog, ugh.

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5277 on: May 18, 2017, 01:22:04 AM »
on one hand, extratorrent has just been killed
on the other hand, just found another awesome site

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5278 on: May 18, 2017, 06:57:44 AM »
I'm not allowed to speak Korean at school (incredibly limited as it is), and even saying the page number in Korean results simply in gasps and shocked looks from the students rather than actually turning to that page because "OMG Teacher is speaking Korean."

I've had it with this school and I've got 9 more months on my contract. I dread going to school. I feel completely incompetent. The lack of communication from the school, the lack of ability to communicate with the other teachers, the expectation that the kids will just magically "know" English when they get 40 minutes a week with a NET they can't understand and 40-80 minutes with a crappy CD played by a homeroom teacher who can't speak English, is ridiculous.

You're right. It's ridiculous. They're not going to learn through immersion if they're only being 'immersed' in the language for 40 minutes a week, so you might as well use Korean so that you can actually communicate with them. 'No Korean' rules are incredibly stupid.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5279 on: May 18, 2017, 07:45:04 AM »
You can be 10 mins early for 3 months and if you're 2 mins late, "You are late."

Yeah, I know, don't be late, but cut me some frigging slack.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free