September 25, 2018, 01:07:52 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1097899 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5260 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
It is the same with the volume on the ringtones and message alerts.  On full power.  If it isn't full power on everything, you're not going to hear it or notice it.  Like the supermarkets that have the guy shouting into his microphone about the things on sale, on absolute full whack so much so the feedback makes it almost unintelligible.  I have sensitive hearing and there is nothing more likely to turn me off something than loud noise.  Korea is an unbelievably noisy country.

Yes i have sensitive hearing too and i hate all the loudness i hear here. So many PA systems at street festivals are ear blistering loud or the election trucks and sprukers in supermarkets selling things. I remember when we used to have Kims Club in my town and they always played the worst unrecognizable western pop music that i had never heard before and had the loudest announcements i have ever heard. People just seemed to be cool with it all.

Spruiker

From our crowdsourced Open Dictionary. (Australian English) someone who tries to persuade people to buy something, use a service, etc often in a dishonest or exaggerated way.

Did you mean this? Or did you misspell speaker? hahahahaha
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5261 on: May 10, 2017, 12:10:17 PM »
Ezekiel 12:51

Not sure I get this one. A joke? Ezekiel chapter 12 only goes up to verse 28.

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #5262 on: May 10, 2017, 12:11:49 PM »
It is the same with the volume on the ringtones and message alerts.  On full power.  If it isn't full power on everything, you're not going to hear it or notice it.  Like the supermarkets that have the guy shouting into his microphone about the things on sale, on absolute full whack so much so the feedback makes it almost unintelligible.  I have sensitive hearing and there is nothing more likely to turn me off something than loud noise.  Korea is an unbelievably noisy country.

Yes i have sensitive hearing too and i hate all the loudness i hear here. So many PA systems at street festivals are ear blistering loud or the election trucks and sprukers in supermarkets selling things. I remember when we used to have Kims Club in my town and they always played the worst unrecognizable western pop music that i had never heard before and had the loudest announcements i have ever heard. People just seemed to be cool with it all.

Spruiker

From our crowdsourced Open Dictionary. (Australian English) someone who tries to persuade people to buy something, use a service, etc often in a dishonest or exaggerated way.

Yes i am an Aussie

I meant Spruker not speaker.

haha. I was going to say before that if people did loud announcements and bad music in supermarkets back in Sydney there would be instant complaints.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5263 on: May 10, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »

Not sure I get this one. A joke? Ezekiel chapter 12 only goes up to verse 28.

12:51 is the time my voice
Found the words i sought...
Is it this stage I want?

J. Casablancas 2:4

donovan

« Reply #5264 on: May 10, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
so i'm bored and actually did some research on this.

this study found that 37.4% of koreans 12 years or older have hearing loss
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28196098

this one found that the hearing loss rate was 22.73%
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25216153

so around one-quarter to one-third of Koreans have hearing loss.

compare that to around 15% for Americans, and koreans definitely do in fact have impaired hearing compared to the US, at least
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/statistics/quick-statistics-hearing

loud noise begets hearing loss begets louder noise begets more hearing loss :huh:

and more hearing loss begat aids, hearing aids. and this aid begat battery sales.

himself begotten by Buzzi, but as a priestly (Son of) man did no begetting of his own.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:37:32 PM by donovan »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5265 on: May 10, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »
Spruiker
     Funnily enough, both "spruiker" and "speaker" have Germanic roots. Probably from the Dutch "Spraak, spreek, and spreuk" which are variation of "speech" or "to speak".

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5266 on: May 10, 2017, 12:24:27 PM »
Spruiker
     Funnily enough, both "spruiker" and "speaker" have Germanic roots. Probably from the Dutch "Spraak, spreek, and spreuk" which are variation of "speech" or "to speak".

Like in South African; scryf

A South African was giving an Afrikaans test to show us (teacher training) what it's like learning another language. I was the only one to get them all right. Skryf................ like a scribe? So, writing. It's amazing how close Dutch, Afrikaans and German can be to our language. 

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5267 on: May 10, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »
Is it this stage I want?

A Lil' B song?

You should become a rapper- Lil' C.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5268 on: May 10, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
Is it this stage I want?

A Lil' B song?

You should become a rapper- Lil' C.

I had a stroke.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5269 on: May 10, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5270 on: May 10, 2017, 12:39:39 PM »
OK, found it... Still, become a rapper. Based waygookin! Lil' C! 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5271 on: May 10, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »
OK, found it... Still, become a rapper. Based waygookin! Lil' C!

I used to dabble in hiphop with my buddy in high school. He still raps. Really well.

http://www.youtube.com/3NToxs4PGj0?t=3m51s

My homie is the one in red, Revelation (sticking with the biblical theme! hahahaa)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5272 on: May 10, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »
Like in South African; scryf
A South African was giving an Afrikaans test to show us (teacher training) what it's like learning another language. I was the only one to get them all right. Skryf................ like a scribe? So, writing. It's amazing how close Dutch, Afrikaans and German can be to our language.
Yeah, Dutch and Frisian (the other official language in the Netherlands) are the language most closely related to Modern English.

Also, considering that most Afrikaners were originally Dutch colonists, I'm actually surprised how different the language is from Dutch. I mean, the 2 lingos are mutually intelligible but I do occasionally struggle with unfamiliar words.*

*Leer echte Nederlandse, boere! :wink:

Offline jlynn2190

• Explorer
« Reply #5273 on: May 10, 2017, 02:04:01 PM »
So my school decided that they wanted to apply for another NET, and accidentally included me in the message. After I asked about it to my supervisor she assured me that it was something coming from the higher ups and that all my coteachers know how much effort i put into teaching and they really appreciate me. The province wants them to do this other program yadda yadda. So cool, I love my kids but I figured I can find another job so I ask them to help me out with my paperwork. Fast Forward a month later, they keep stalling on my paperwork and asking me why do I need it...? Um because you guys are holding out for another teacher....why would I want to just sit around with no backup plan??? It's gotten so persistent I want to ask them like did they forget they kinda are getting rid of me?

I guess I just dont understand how if you guys started this problem why are you trying to make me feel guilty because I want to make sure I can pay my bills every month??? a girl has to eat!

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5274 on: May 10, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »
I mentioned this earlier in thread, but I'll just post another endorsement:

Audio Technica m50x.  Buy them.  Wear them at school, on the bus, at home.  Insulate yourself from the chaotic cacophony that is Korea. 

I also recommend getting earplugs for bed time, I personally need them as I have a lovely ajesshi neighbor who likes to let everyone on my floor know who likes to expel phlegm throughout the night in his bathroom (The echo makes it only worse).
Yes thank you for that recommendation! I looked them up after you posted that, and I might get them. I really do need something better than my earpods. I was in Dongdaemun yesterday and the noise was so overwhelming I left sooner than I was planning and my shopping trip was a failure. Why are employees here so pushy?? I can't look at anything without the employee rushing up, holding the shirt up to me and saying "예뻐" over and over while simultaneously trying to direct my attention to the other colors. Just leave me alone!

I thought I could be here for another year or two, but I just don't know if I can handle it any more. Can the 5 stages of culture shock repeat itself? I was feeling pretty positive at the beginning of the year, but now everything irritates me. I think I'm hitting the hostility stage again.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5275 on: May 10, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »
Why are employees here so pushy?? I can't look at anything without the employee rushing up, holding the shirt up to me and saying "예뻐" over and over while simultaneously trying to direct my attention to the other colors. Just leave me alone!

you gotta summon your inner Ruby Rhod

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5276 on: May 11, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
The weather forecast has said it's gonna rain on Friday since freaking Tuesday. But the students are supposed to go on a picnic tomorrow... I was told I wouldn't have any classes because of the picnic, just show up to desk warm... I'm really not optimistic that it's gonna happen. ):

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5277 on: May 11, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »
My CT from another school just told me I probably won't teach 5th or 6th grades today cuz they're going on a field trip with her school. It'd be nice if the school I'm at now would tell me these things... of well, possibly less work for me today...

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5278 on: May 11, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
The weather forecast has said it's gonna rain on Friday since freaking Tuesday. But the students are supposed to go on a picnic tomorrow... I was told I wouldn't have any classes because of the picnic, just show up to desk warm... I'm really not optimistic that it's gonna happen. ):

Why, just why, do people prefer the mind-numbing boredom of doing nothing all day over what is actually fairly easy work?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5279 on: May 11, 2017, 08:50:22 AM »

Why, just why, do people prefer the mind-numbing boredom of doing nothing all day over what is actually fairly easy work?

I'm evil penguin
I hate Christmas
I hate children toooooooooooooooo