October 19, 2018, 08:50:24 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1122989 times)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4720 on: April 10, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
Maybe it's a Southern Ontario thing. Or a 90s thing. We always had to change shoes and if we were a portable class we'd wear our inside shoes from the portable, to the gym in the main school and back. They had to have white bottoms to them too so that when we used them for gym we wouldn't get black scuff marks all over the floor. I just wore black bottomed shows anyways to get out of gym class cuz I was a jerk.

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #4721 on: April 10, 2017, 02:11:06 PM »
I hate to see students running around the halls in their socks.

These schools are completely filthy. Third graders running a broom over the steps for 10 minutes after lunch does nothing and the floors have obviously not been cleaned properly in years. There is dirt, sand from outside, food, wrappers etc covering the stairs and gathering in corners, yet they are running around shoeless between coming in from outside and arriving at their classrooms. It doesn't make any sense. Everyone can see these floors are dirty. Changing into school slippers doesn't save the place from needing a good cleaning, which it never gets... Yet everyone just ignores the fact that kids are running around in their socks on dirty floors because that's just how they've always done it.

So tired of rules being applied without any thought to logic or reason. I'm not saying get rid of tradition... Just adjust it so it makes some sense and people aren't running around spreading more filth!

lol it's so bad at my main school, I stopped changing into my slippers each day and nobody's even said anything, if they've noticed. Them slippers are DIRTY.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4722 on: April 10, 2017, 02:31:53 PM »
I should have left when my last contract ended. I made a mistake staying.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline keldule

• Adventurer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #4723 on: April 10, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
Maybe it's a Southern Ontario thing. Or a 90s thing. We always had to change shoes and if we were a portable class we'd wear our inside shoes from the portable, to the gym in the main school and back. They had to have white bottoms to them too so that when we used them for gym we wouldn't get black scuff marks all over the floor. I just wore black bottomed shows anyways to get out of gym class cuz I was a jerk.

I had to have indoor shoes in elementary, but that stopped when we went to junior high/ middle and high school.

My middle school here is filthy. Bunch of unsanitary middle school boys that have to "clean" the school for 10 minutes a day.

It's only character building if they don't half ass it, guys. Just hire a janitor already. -_-

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4724 on: April 10, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »

I had to have indoor shoes in elementary, but that stopped when we went to junior high/ middle and high school.

My middle school here is filthy. Bunch of unsanitary middle school boys that have to "clean" the school for 10 minutes a day.

It's only character building if they don't half ass it, guys. Just hire a janitor already. -_-

You're just bitter that you got a talking to over wearing your usual shoes to class ;)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4725 on: April 10, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »
I should have left when my last contract ended. I made a mistake staying.

This is what I'm worried about if I decide to renew...

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4726 on: April 10, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »

Most of my schools have hired janitors to clean the bathrooms, and they generally don't do a much better job of it than the students do with the halls and classes.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4727 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
I've never been in a truly well-kept or clean school. The only thing that really varies is "bad" or "worse".

They always use dirty mops to clean the floors, too, so it always smells bad for about an hour right after.

Floors are not supposed to be dirtier after you've mopped them. xD

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4728 on: April 10, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »

Most of my schools have hired janitors to clean the bathrooms, and they generally don't do a much better job of it than the students do with the halls and classes.
Same here.

They hired some feeble old lady and she doesn't do much, as the bathrooms are always filthy.

To be fair, she doesn't have any proper cleaning supplies and she is only one person.

Anyone know why 30% of school surfaces are windows, yet nobody ever cleans them?

Is it bad luck or something ;)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4729 on: April 10, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »
I've never been in a truly well-kept or clean school. The only thing that really varies is "bad" or "worse".

They always use dirty mops to clean the floors, too, so it always smells bad for about an hour right after.

Floors are not supposed to be dirtier after you've mopped them. xD

There are a lot of genuinely well-educated and intelligent people (I know those two don't always correlate, so I italicized 'and' so that people don't get it twisted) working in these schools.

How does nobody get the fact that those mops aren't lifting the dirt anywhere. They're not being dunked in buckets and having fresh water used to clean the floors. They're literally just pushing the dirt around a little bit. And a vacuum cleaner that has zero suction because it's never been cleaned because nobody knows how to open it where it says to open it and shake the filter out once every month or so doesn't have any utility or function when you're turning it on and just pushing it around on the ground because it isn't sucking up dirt oh my god.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHY!??!?!?

Like most things here, I suspect it's not about the results but rather the act of going through the motions.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4730 on: April 10, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
Ding ding ding!!!  Give the lady a prize :)

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #4731 on: April 11, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »
Really wanted to stay in public school. Really wanted to transfer. Got an email back saying apparently they don't do that and I'll have to reapply from scratch.

I'm seriously considering just working at a hagwon, even tho I was really skittish about the idea in the past.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4732 on: April 11, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
Really wanted to stay in public school. Really wanted to transfer. Got an email back saying apparently they don't do that and I'll have to reapply from scratch.

I'm seriously considering just working at a hagwon, even tho I was really skittish about the idea in the past.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,105632.0.html

7 public schools in Chungnam

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #4733 on: April 11, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »
Really annoyed at my co-teacher. She comes in 5 minutes before the start of class so I cannot go over my daily lesson plan with her. This normally wouldn't be an issue, but she is unable to explain my games to the grade 1 and 2 students. She didn't know simon says(explained it incorrectly) and other simple games and I am not allowed to speak in Korean to explain these games to the children. She also does nothing in regards to class room control. Again, you have kids hitting each other right in front of her, and she does nothing. I've asked her for help but by then I could fix the situation on my own. It's not a huge problem but it disrupts the flow of my class.

Aughhhhhhhhh

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4734 on: April 11, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
Chungnam

Really polluted part of Korea though. Place with the most coal plants, and future planned construction of coal burning plants. I'd be wary of that area for that reason personally.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #4735 on: April 11, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,105632.0.html

7 public schools in Chungnam

Yeah but the contract overlap. As much as I don't feel like this area is a good fit for me, I also don't want to be a jerk that pulls out of the contract before it's up just because I want to live somewhere I can have a semblance of a life outside of work. Feels selfish. Idk I'm in a weird mood today, even before I got the email.

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #4736 on: April 11, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »
Are the requirements for a public job lower in the countryside? I know I am not qualified in Seoul due to the lack of a TEFOL/TESOL cert.

Offline apple_pen

• Explorer
« Reply #4737 on: April 11, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »
Not really. I have tonnes of experience and they've put me in a rural part of town. Thing is, I teach on my own in one of the schools. So i guess it really depends what the needs of the schools in the area are.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4738 on: April 11, 2017, 11:50:29 AM »
Today when I asked a class to open their books to a certain page, a student said "Mr. Tim, we already did this!"

I knew for certain that I hadn't done that unit with that class yet, so after pressing the issue a bit, I found out that he had let his friend borrow his book, and his friend did the work in that unit. After looking around the class a bit, I discovered that that was also the case with twelve other students. That means that out of a class of 26 students, 13 of them already had the page we I had planned to do filled out.

That rustled my jimmies a great deal, naturally. It's always weak af to plan a class, only to have a wrench thrown in it like that. To make things even more annoying, I had an exchange about it with my CoT:

Me: "So what do you suggest we do about this?"
CoT: "I don't know."
Me: "What can we do to prevent this from happening in the future?"
CoT: *shrugs*

Great. Thanks for the help. Ugh.

I have no real authority, and nobody in an actual position of authority is ever willing to do anything to improve anything here. I do realize that even my CoT really doesn't have all that much authority when it comes to the system or even disciplining the students, but I wish someone would try to do something.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4739 on: April 11, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
Today when I asked a class to open their books to a certain page, a student said "Mr. Tim, we already did this!"

I knew for certain that I hadn't done that unit with that class yet, so after pressing the issue a bit, I found out that he had let his friend borrow his book, and his friend did the work in that unit. After looking around the class a bit, I discovered that that was also the case with twelve other students. That means that out of a class of 26 students, 13 of them already had the page we I had planned to do filled out.

That rustled my jimmies a great deal, naturally. It's always weak af to plan a class, only to have a wrench thrown in it like that. To make things even more annoying, I had an exchange about it with my CoT:

Me: "So what do you suggest we do about this?"
CoT: "I don't know."
Me: "What can we do to prevent this from happening in the future?"
CoT: *shrugs*

Great. Thanks for the help. Ugh.

I have no real authority, and nobody in an actual position of authority is ever willing to do anything to improve anything here. I do realize that even my CoT really doesn't have all that much authority when it comes to the system or even disciplining the students, but I wish someone would try to do something.
   I've run across that same problem a few times too. It's irritating.
   Still, it's not a huge disaster; I just smile nicely at my coworker, give her my book, and ask her to make a few copies of that page. The kids do a quick activity while copies are being made, then close their books and work from the copies. Crisis averted! :smiley: