October 21, 2018, 08:32:17 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1124342 times)

Offline Embarr

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4100 on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
We had a hweshik and there's mostly women at our school. We got another male teacher, and the behavior of most of the women was embarrassing. It was verging on sexual harassment.

I am so ready for vacation, and for this year to be over. Counting down the days. It would go a lot faster if I still felt like a teacher, but the winds have shifted at this school and I'm feeling like my role is being marginalized. The condescension is strong this year, too, and I feel like I'm on the defensive a lot more.  :cry: 

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4101 on: March 09, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »
We had a hweshik and there's mostly women at our school. We got another male teacher, and the behavior of most of the women was embarrassing. It was verging on sexual harassment.

Oh god, what happened?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4102 on: March 09, 2017, 09:09:40 AM »
My computer hasn't been working since Monday. At first, the entire teacher's office network was down, so whatever. They were working on it. But then the guy came and fixed everyone's but mine, and told me he would fix it later. I finally went and got him again today, and he fixed it in 3 minutes. I don't understand why he couldn't have just done it at the same time as the rest.

For other teachers that work at high schools, when a student fails, do you have to give them a chance to make up the F and get a passing grade? My class is really pretty easy to pass, do the work, come to class, and participate. But there were a few students that literally just never came to class, so of course they failed. The school has told me that I have to let them pass and to give them a special assignment to make up for it. Usually, there is a deadline that they have to finish those assignments by, but I have been working here for 2 years and the previous teacher was here for 3 years. I'm getting students that failed in her class coming to me, 3 years later, asking to pass. It just really grinds my gears.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4103 on: March 09, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »

Learnt behavior....

I pretty much spend every hweshit protecting the 3rd grade teacher from the vice principal feeling her legs up.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4104 on: March 09, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »

Learnt behavior....

I pretty much spend every hweshit protecting the 3rd grade teacher from the vice principal feeling her legs up.

I usually get my legs felt up by the male teachers sitting next to me.  What am I doing wrong?

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4105 on: March 09, 2017, 09:26:44 AM »
Are your pants to short or something? Maybe they just want to touch your hairy legs.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4106 on: March 09, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »
For other teachers that work at high schools, when a student fails, do you have to give them a chance to make up the F and get a passing grade? My class is really pretty easy to pass, do the work, come to class, and participate. But there were a few students that literally just never came to class, so of course they failed. The school has told me that I have to let them pass and to give them a special assignment to make up for it. Usually, there is a deadline that they have to finish those assignments by, but I have been working here for 2 years and the previous teacher was here for 3 years. I'm getting students that failed in her class coming to me, 3 years later, asking to pass. It just really grinds my gears.

I'm surprised any of us are given the authority to 'pass' or 'fail' students!  I work at a high school and I don't give any grades for normal classes, just give them a score in the speaking tests once a term (100 - 60).  Maybe if I give them a 60 it's considered a fail?  I'm not sure.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4107 on: March 09, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »

I'm surprised any of us are given the authority to 'pass' or 'fail' students!  I work at a high school and I don't give any grades for normal classes, just give them a score in the speaking tests once a term (100 - 60).  Maybe if I give them a 60 it's considered a fail?  I'm not sure.

The only time I've ever heard of a student being held back is if they don't attend enough school days.  Students are expected to attend a minimum number of days to be able to 'graduate'.  Like you Arm, we just have the 10-6 points for the speaking test.  So the 6 is the lowest, but not a fail.  I'm in charge of another 10 points for student assessment this year as well.  I made the students aware that I am in control of 20 of their points this year! 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4108 on: March 09, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »

I think it's because my class is almost like a bonus class. They have their normal grammar classes, and then they have mine separate. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that the grades don't matter, it's just bothersome.

The only time I've ever heard of a student being held back is if they don't attend enough school days.  Students are expected to attend a minimum number of days to be able to 'graduate'.  Like you Arm, we just have the 10-6 points for the speaking test.  So the 6 is the lowest, but not a fail.  I'm in charge of another 10 points for student assessment this year as well.  I made the students aware that I am in control of 20 of their points this year! 

This isn't for holding back the students, it just seems to be that they can't have any sort of blemish on their record at all. Although there was one kid I have that was held back from last year, so he is still a first grade high schooler. I never knew anyone back home that got held back, but I feel like it must be so embarrassing in Korea to be.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:56:10 AM by HaLo3 »

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4109 on: March 09, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
This isn't for holding back the students, it just seems to be that they can't have any sort of blemish on their record at all. Although there was one kid I have that was held back from last year, so he is still a first grade high schooler. I never knew anyone back home that got held back, but I feel like it must be so embarrassing in Korea to be.

Makes sense that students make up for it.  I know in high school the 생기부 report is important for the students at the end of the year.  Maybe for that they want to have the good report from all the teachers and with that make sure all their work is done as it'd harm their uni chances otherwise.  But given Korea is such a clear pass and fail country, if the students didn't already have a perfect record then I doubt it'd make any difference. 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4110 on: March 09, 2017, 10:11:12 AM »

Makes sense that students make up for it.  I know in high school the 생기부 report is important for the students at the end of the year.  Maybe for that they want to have the good report from all the teachers and with that make sure all their work is done as it'd harm their uni chances otherwise.  But given Korea is such a clear pass and fail country, if the students didn't already have a perfect record then I doubt it'd make any difference.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that report. I figured that it may have some sort of impact on universities, but at the same time, if most every students grade is whitewashed, it doesn't make that much of a difference in the long haul.

For the most part, I don't mind giving a makeup test, but it just seems... wrong to give it to those students who did absolutely nothing (again, never showed up to class the entire semester) the same passing grade as the students who worked for it. Or passing them 2-3 years later. That's on me, and I'll still do it, I just may grind my teeth over it.

Offline Embarr

• Veteran
« Reply #4111 on: March 09, 2017, 11:20:37 AM »

Oh god, what happened?

We had a big group of new teachers, and people cheered for all of them, but it was verging on cat-calls with the new male teacher. I kept thinking, if this was a group of men with a new female teacher, people would think this is terrible, right?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4112 on: March 09, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »

Oh god, what happened?

We had a big group of new teachers, and people cheered for all of them, but it was verging on cat-calls with the new male teacher. I kept thinking, if this was a group of men with a new female teacher, people would think this is terrible, right?
Indeed.

Offline Dorwell

• Waygookin
« Reply #4113 on: March 09, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
I hate how everything can change in a school, and what was once nice, is now hell.

The new principal from last year has little to no interest in English. When I first arrived we had two great classrooms dedicated to English, now they've been knocked through and turned into a vanity project for the principal.

So last year came change number one, I would lose, for the most part my co-teachers who could speak English to an almost fluent level. The second change put me in a position of teaching two grades with the homeroom teacher. In the end, both changes were okay and I valued the time to take more of lead in the lessons. The kids also benefited by having me more often in a week.

Fast forward this year, the principal in his wisdom has decided to give me all the grades, 3rd to 6th, and has moved the only teacher who can actually speak English into a homeroom teacher. This means that I now only teach one or two periods for most of the grades, and the rest of the book is done by the homeroom teachers, who cannot even speak basic English.

This particular change makes me feel sidelined and alienated, and adds even more work onto the already busy homeroom teachers schedule. I was in two minds as to whether i should stay or leave Korea, this change has made me more determined to leave. It's a shame really, I like the school itself and the students are mostly fine. My apartment is nice and for the most part I like living in Korea and the lifestyle that comes with it, but I can see that if I stayed another year I would become a different person.

I'm always amazed and how much power the principal has in schools here, some are good, and some are fine. My principal stands firmly on the wrong side of that spectrum. His decisions seems illogical, and he seems to love spending a huge amount of money on events and projects that make him look like the messiah returned.

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4114 on: March 09, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »

Why are you leaving? You get to teach in the students' homerooms, which is better than having to teach in an English room.

Also, lots of public school teachers teach grades 3-6. That's not unusual. It's kind of annoying, but it's pretty standard.

If you feel 'sidelined and alienated,' that's probably taking things a little too personally. It sounds like you've only been here for a year or two, maybe. English doesn't revolve around the native teacher, as much as we might wish it did.

I'm sorry about your difficult situation, though.

I kindly beg to differ.  What's the fun in carrying all your stuff to the homerooms 5 times a day.  You have no where to put anything, you have no real materials to speak of, each homeroom is set up differently in terms of resources.

I wish I had an English room at both my schools.  I would just hide there all day.

Offline Dorwell

• Waygookin
« Reply #4115 on: March 09, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
Well last year I taught in the homeroom, which was fine. The year before that the dedicated English rooms were the only two decent classrooms in the whole school.

This year I have my own classroom, which is nice. You're right that i'm not the only person having the same situation, but its a situation that I feel reduces the quality of English education generally. Completely fine with the school changing its priorities, but it's not something that I want to be a part of.

Definitely a first world problem, but it hasn't enamored me into wanting to stay longer.

Anyway, I'll plod on and see how the next few months go!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4116 on: March 09, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »
If a group needs a made up Hallmark-holiday to get attention, their cause isn't worth paying attention to.

If I'm not missing work or getting free crap because of it, I don't care.

I bet you're one of those "why isn't there a white history month" folks, too.

That's a leap. And I'll bet you're one of those people who think if you're a straight, white male, anytime you open your mouth it's mansplaining, and that we ruin everything.

Open mouth, fingers to keyboard etc

Seriously hard to find a straight white guy who can see past the end of his nose. Every time you make comments like this you just prove the point. Keep going & dig yourself deeper!

Keep generalising. It does wonders for civility and social cohesion.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4117 on: March 09, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »
I'm surprised when I hear of someone who gets to see a class more than once in a week.  At each of my schools, I generally teach each class only once a week, so it's harder to see progress-- especially with random class cancellations due to field trips or whatever.

Add in the coT who sometimes yammers on and on for a good portion of the class and those students are lucky to get maybe half a class period's worth of time a week practicing with the NET. Ugh

Why are you leaving? You get to teach in the students' homerooms, which is better than having to teach in an English room.

Also, lots of public school teachers teach grades 3-6. That's not unusual. It's kind of annoying, but it's pretty standard.

If you feel 'sidelined and alienated,' that's probably taking things a little too personally. It sounds like you've only been here for a year or two, maybe. English doesn't revolve around the native teacher, as much as we might wish it did.

I kindly beg to differ.  What's the fun in carrying all your stuff to the homerooms 5 times a day.  You have no where to put anything, you have no real materials to speak of, each homeroom is set up differently in terms of resources.

I wish I had an English room at both my schools.  I would just hide there all day.

I have an English room at 3 of my schools and wish I had one at my fourth.  I've found it to be more convenient and it's nice to have a space designated for English.  Also then I can decorate once in a while or display student projects.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4118 on: March 09, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
I hate how everything can change in a school, and what was once nice, is now hell.

The new principal from last year has little to no interest in English. When I first arrived we had two great classrooms dedicated to English, now they've been knocked through and turned into a vanity project for the principal.

So last year came change number one, I would lose, for the most part my co-teachers who could speak English to an almost fluent level. The second change put me in a position of teaching two grades with the homeroom teacher. In the end, both changes were okay and I valued the time to take more of lead in the lessons. The kids also benefited by having me more often in a week.

Fast forward this year, the principal in his wisdom has decided to give me all the grades, 3rd to 6th, and has moved the only teacher who can actually speak English into a homeroom teacher. This means that I now only teach one or two periods for most of the grades, and the rest of the book is done by the homeroom teachers, who cannot even speak basic English.

This particular change makes me feel sidelined and alienated, and adds even more work onto the already busy homeroom teachers schedule. I was in two minds as to whether i should stay or leave Korea, this change has made me more determined to leave. It's a shame really, I like the school itself and the students are mostly fine. My apartment is nice and for the most part I like living in Korea and the lifestyle that comes with it, but I can see that if I stayed another year I would become a different person.

I'm always amazed and how much power the principal has in schools here, some are good, and some are fine. My principal stands firmly on the wrong side of that spectrum. His decisions seems illogical, and he seems to love spending a huge amount of money on events and projects that make him look like the messiah returned.

Right.  Change can be a pain in the poopie, but give it a few weeks and you could get used to it.

I taught in the same middle school for seven years.  For five of them, until I finished, I had a great co-teacher who I had great affection for.  The students were low-level countryside, but were good.  We worked well together and got on great.  Then she left, and a new male teacher who was less bothered about the students came in, and there were other teachers I was not really enamored with and I felt left out after all this time.  So I kind of hung out in the English room more.  The one thing I loved was the students, they made things easy for me.  After those seven years, I got moved to an elementary school as all provincial middle school jobs were phased out, and then I really found out what hell was like for eight months.
Pointless, 'special' co-teacher with no idea about anything in a school where the children threw stuff at her. 

I agree about the principal thing.  Some have these big unrealistic ideas.  Some are miserable sheets.  I would say that in the majority of schools I worked in if you don't like the principal then the teachers probably don't either.  Some just sit and watch golf in their office until they retire or die, whichever comes first.   

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4119 on: March 09, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »

Oh god, what happened?

Wouldn't think it was particularly terrible for either gender, but no doubt someone would get offended.