April 22, 2018, 06:08:39 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 845268 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4060 on: March 07, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
I really want to rant about stuff in my province but I feel like there might be little spies and I'll get exiled to some little village when re-sign time comes around.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:22:59 AM by Pennypie »

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4061 on: March 07, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
Is your real name penny?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4062 on: March 07, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
Is your real name penny?

Yes? (Throwing them off the scent  :laugh: )

Naaah but sometimes I feel like its not hard to guess who people are if you live in the same area.  I used to have my real name on here but changed it.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4063 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:37 AM »
Okay so this has been bugging me for a while:

Does anyone else get those "Don't you find it difficult...?" or "Don't you think it's...?" questions?  Basically, an indirect way for the other person to express their opinion?

I am admittedly woeful at picking up hints, in part because I just really value directness. But this burns my biscuit a bit because, I feel like they're trying to tell me something but instead of coming out and saying it, the onus is on me to be like OH YEAH I TOTALLY FIND THIS IMPOSSIBLE LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

I never know what to do aside from tell the truth. Which usually goes against whatever it is I suspect they want me to say.  :undecided:
     I usually just gush about how awesome my activity/project/worksheet is, which tends to prevent this kind of indirect commentary. If they think my stuff needs to be changed, they need to explicitly say so.

Luckily my stuff usually *is* awesome, so the issue is kinda moot.   :laugh:

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4064 on: March 07, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
Did you know the HiKorea immigration website doesn't work on any browser other than IE but also not the latest version of IE? Also, it's been overloaded with traffic all day.

I've been trying to do something simple since 7am... it's almost as if they don't want us to be able to file simple applications.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4065 on: March 07, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
I remember a few great Korean stereotypes: guys with tattoos, women who smoke, children from divorced parents, etc.

Nothing kind was said about the above and they were to be avoided (not marriage material).

Again, it wasn't always accurate, but it was "wise" advice.

A US equivalent would be girls with tramp stamps...not 100% accurate, but close enough ;)

Ok Pecan  :rolleyes:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4066 on: March 07, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Did you know the HiKorea immigration website doesn't work on any browser other than IE but also not the latest version of IE? Also, it's been overloaded with traffic all day.

I've been trying to do something simple since 7am... it's almost as if they don't want us to be able to file simple applications.

... such as make a (mandatory) reservation for a visa renewal application drop-off.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #4067 on: March 07, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »

The fact that it's so habitual to refer to Koreans and 'foreigners,' which essentially is a catchall for all the literal billions of other people in the world who aren't one of 35ish million Koreans, is ridiculous.

AI is worse than I thought.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4068 on: March 07, 2017, 01:46:49 PM »
I really want to rant about stuff in my province but I feel like there might be little spies and I'll get exiled to some little village when re-sign time comes around.  >:(

This is not an unreasonable fear. I once had to change my profile on here for this exact reason.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #4069 on: March 07, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
You could do what Koreans do and refer to people who aren't like you as foreigners, no matter the location.

I'm thinking of this.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #4070 on: March 07, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »

This is not an unreasonable fear. I once had to change my profile on here for this exact reason.

I wasn't always CO2 either............................

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4071 on: March 07, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »

the english version of the site is barely functional. if you're struggling to get the site to work you basically have to use the korean version.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #4072 on: March 07, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
Noooooo! My best school, my favourite teacher....all changed!  My first year at my 3rd school, elementary school, was really tough as I came in from teaching high school and had a hard time with kids. During the 2nd year here I was blessed with an amazing co-teacher and we developed the best dynamic and everything worked out so well. The kids enjoyed it and learned really well and the class was also enjoyable for us. Well this year he is now the 3rd grade HR teacher so Ill now only see him briefly and this new teacher I have is boring, the way she has split the responsibility of the content is weird and she wasn't even going to teach the textbook when she wasn't here. I only come here 1 day a week which means they would never finish the book. THIS IS NOT GOOD. I have enough stress and anxiety going on without having to worry about the one thing I didn't have to worry about.  :huh: :cry:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4073 on: March 07, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
Admin office is claiming I need to get a health checkup again and that it's compulsory every other year.

I already took one last year.  Unless I get an official letter from NHIS again, they can forget it. 

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #4074 on: March 08, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »
Admin office is claiming I need to get a health checkup again and that it's compulsory every other year.

I already took one last year.  Unless I get an official letter from NHIS again, they can forget it.
I got one too but they asked me for extra stuff...like a breast cancer exam...what does that have to do with teaching? I stuffed the paper away in my desk.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4075 on: March 08, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »

I got one too but they asked me for extra stuff...like a breast cancer exam...what does that have to do with teaching? I stuffed the paper away in my desk.

My coT was saying something about how they're "very interested in health." Really.  They seem doubly interested in the foreigner's health than in their own citizens.

I think I'll take a cue from you and just lose the paper if another gets sent.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4076 on: March 08, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »

My coT was saying something about how they're "very interested in health." Really.  They seem doubly interested in the foreigner's health than in their own citizens.

I think I'll take a cue from you and just lose the paper if another gets sent.

It is in insurance companies who want this.

Things caught early are less costly for them.

Nothing nefarious going on.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4077 on: March 08, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »
It's a misunderstanding.

They wanted the same thing from me last semester, as the school will get negative points if you don't, but it is not required.

Ignore and carry on...

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4078 on: March 08, 2017, 10:04:46 AM »
It is in insurance companies who want this.

Things caught early are less costly for them.

Nothing nefarious going on.

Last year I received an official letter from the insurance company.  This time there is no letter, just the admin. office claiming they need it done.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4079 on: March 08, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
I'm not annoyed at the actual health checkup and if I could get it done at the local hospital then I'd be all for it.  But it has to be done at a major hospital 2 hours away and on a Saturday since my school doesn't consider it a business trip nor medical leave.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018