November 21, 2018, 02:40:06 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1171219 times)

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »
There is a standard romanization, but look at all the trouble people outside this culture still have pronouncing Korean words. Not everybody is aware of the standard romanization or Korean phenomes, so I would say that sometimes deviating from the standard is justified. Take the last name 최, for instance. Who in the West would ever see 'Choi' and automatically think, "Oh, 최"? They're going to say 'Choy' or 'Cho-ee'. In that case, why not experiment with 'Chay' or even 'Ché'? Still not perfect, but closer to it than you're going to get with the standard romanization in most cases. With 'ajumma' as well, someone might see it and not realize the the As require a long vowel sound. Look at the the Korean '안's in this country. How do they usually choose to transliterate it? 'An'? No way. You always see 'Ahn' because that signifies to the reader that you need to draw out the 'a' sound. That's a standard deviation (not a 'standard deviation') from the standard. Until the word 'ajumma' is ensconced in Webster's, I think it's fair to transliterate it in any way that most accurately conveys the true pronunciation. I, for one, would love to see the term 'ahjumma smash' added to the OED. ;D

'Waygook smash' as well^^

I feel like the Romanization of that is really misleading to that actual phonetic pronunciation. I am certain I am not alone on this.

donovan

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 08:16:31 PM »
I'm sorry, I mean 'oeguk seumaeshui'.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:32:17 PM by donovan »

donovan

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 08:22:59 PM »
N.B. Abraham, you quoted me before I changed 'phenomes' to 'phonemes'! I know the difference, I swear! :-[

donovan

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2016, 08:28:46 PM »
And stop calling me 도노반, damnit! :afro:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »
There is a standard romanization, but look at all the trouble people outside this culture still have pronouncing Korean words. Not everybody is aware of the standard romanization or Korean phonemes, so I would say that sometimes deviating from the standard is justified. Take the last name 최, for instance. Who in the West would ever see 'Choi' and automatically think, "Oh, 최"? They're going to say 'Choy' or 'Cho-ee'. In that case, why not experiment with 'Chay' or even 'Ché'? Still not perfect, but closer to it than you're going to get with the standard romanization in most cases. With 'ajumma' as well, someone might see it and not realize that the As require a long vowel sound. Look at the the Korean '안's in this country. How do they usually choose to transliterate it? 'An'? No way. You always see 'Ahn' because that signifies to the reader that you need to draw out the 'a' sound. That's a standard deviation (not a 'standard deviation') from the standard. Until the word 'ajumma' is ensconced in Webster's, I think it's fair to transliterate it in any way that most accurately conveys the true pronunciation. I, for one, would love to see the term 'ahjumma smash' added to the OED. ;D

'Waygook smash' as well^^

That. All of that. Also, even within Korea that Revised Romanization is not always followed. Even when you read the romanization of subway station names for example, they are not standardized. Busan on some maps is written that way, and on other maps it's written Pusan. There is no right way, there is just the way that is best to the individual.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 12:17:24 AM »
Guys, let's stop with this topic. It's a road leading from nothing to nowhere.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »
After the talk about pokemon go yesterday I downloaded it, but my map is blank and I haven't come across any pokemon  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 07:55:49 AM »
I've checked the Moderation Log and there is no evidence of it being deleted. It seems to have disappeared.

I actually don't know what happened to it and I have P.M'd Arsalan to find out if there is a limit on how long a thread can be (I have no idea since we haven't had another thread of that length in all the time I've been a mod).

So....... What happened? I know I'm not the only one who's curious about this.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 07:58:47 AM »
After the talk about pokemon go yesterday I downloaded it, but my map is blank and I haven't come across any pokemon  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Is it out in Korea now? I heard it had only been released in New Zealand, Japan, and America. :o

Offline rltraylor59

• Waygookin
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »

I was reading that Pokemon Go doesn't work in Korea because of some problem with Google Maps in Korea. We'll just have to wait until we go home to catch em all.  :sad:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 08:09:29 AM »

I was reading that Pokemon Go doesn't work in Korea because of some problem with Google Maps in Korea. We'll just have to wait until we go home to catch em all.  :sad:

Is it out in Korea now? I heard it had only been released in New Zealand, Japan, and America. :o

I downloaded it because I have the american app store on my phone. But it's hugely based on actual physical location/surroundings so if the app hasn't mapped them out yet due to the map problem...there are no landmarks to visit.

Apparently the landmarks are basically the same as in Ingress but I can't find a map of landmarks in Busan.

Offline rltraylor59

• Waygookin
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 08:21:25 AM »

I downloaded it because I have the american app store on my phone. But it's hugely based on actual physical location/surroundings so if the app hasn't mapped them out yet due to the map problem...there are no landmarks to visit.

Apparently the landmarks are basically the same as in Ingress but I can't find a map of landmarks in Busan.

I hope it ends up working eventually. I live near the beach so I'm tryna catch some water-type Pokemanz.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
I also wanna Pokemon it up. Is Ingress the mosaic thing? That's the first result I got. Only one in my area...but about 22 in Seoul. 0 still in Busan, sorry.

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2016, 08:30:26 AM »
I want to catch MISSINGNO.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2016, 08:53:27 AM »
My iTunes Store is the uk one so I can't even download it yet  :cry:

I checked the ingress map tho and there should be loads of shit in Seoul at least, I hope we don't have to wait for the game to release in Korea to be able to play it......

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2016, 08:55:36 AM »
I don't usually rant ever but wtf I just saw the most disgusting thing ever. The staff bathroom stall had shit on the walls today. wtf is that about. I'm not talking about a tiny speck that might've some how flown up or maybe from sb's fingers. I'm talking like a cookie sized shit ON THE WALL at about hip level. What the **** angle do you have to shit at to get it on the wall like that?
To add on there were tiny specks of shit all over the floors too. I don't feel like I want to wear these shoes ever again.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2016, 09:04:43 AM »
I don't usually rant ever but wtf I just saw the most disgusting thing ever. The staff bathroom stall had shit on the walls today. wtf is that about. I'm not talking about a tiny speck that might've some how flown up or maybe from sb's fingers. I'm talking like a cookie sized shit ON THE WALL at about hip level. What the **** angle do you have to shit at to get it on the wall like that?
To add on there were tiny specks of shit all over the floors too. I don't feel like I want to wear these shoes ever again.

... do the other teachers know about your discovery?

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »

I hope it ends up working eventually. I live near the beach so I'm tryna catch some water-type Pokemanz.

Stupid question.

I'm looking at three starter pokemon. How do I choose one? Preferably Squirtle?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2016, 09:24:22 AM »

Stupid question.

I'm looking at three starter pokemon. How do I choose one? Preferably Squirtle?

I didn't get to choose one, I was just given a bulbasaur to catch

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2016, 09:25:08 AM »
... do the other teachers know about your discovery?

No. I'm too shocked and frankly embarrassed to tell anyone. Hence my rant  >:(