September 24, 2018, 11:09:49 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1097480 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3920 on: February 06, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
I'm not going to get much sympathy, I know, but I'm losing my office and will be downgraded to a cubicle. Adding yet another empty room, or something.

I worked at a place in Canada that kept large areas of floor space vacant, yet crammed staff into high-density cubicles.

When I (as a middle manager) asked about more space for my team, I was told that the accountants "write off" the unused space, so occupying space in a building that the company owned would actually cost us money.

This is incredibly interesting, but it also seems incredibly counter-productive. I wonder how much they were saving with the write off.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3921 on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:50 AM »
So done with deskwarming.  I'm looking forward to the other teachers and students coming back later this week.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3922 on: February 07, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
So done with deskwarming.  I'm looking forward to the other teachers and students coming back later this week.

I always think that too and then they all come back and I'm just like....  :huh:

Found out one of my new schools for next semester is like a two hour bus ride away  :cry: Will probably be able to get a ride but its so frustrating!

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3923 on: February 07, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »

I always think that too and then they all come back and I'm just like....  :huh:

Found out one of my new schools for next semester is like a two hour bus ride away  :cry: Will probably be able to get a ride but its so frustrating!
Do you mean an hour each way, or two hours one way?  That's still a really long commute.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3924 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:11 AM »
I don't know what's worse, desk warming, or being in school while classes are happening but being told your morning classes dont exist for the rest of the semester (but you still need to be here in the morning) and you're supposed to take it easy and show movies in the afternoon. There's something about waiting around for 4 hours to go press play that's driving me crazy o.o

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3925 on: February 07, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
Basically my cycle through deskwarming: Wooo! --> Booo --> Cool --> Where did it go?

This week I only have classes on Thurs. cause none of my travel schools need me but depending on if there's any schedule changes I might not get that either, hah

It's nice to see everyone again but it's also weird that the school is suddenly full of life once more.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3926 on: February 07, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »

Do you mean an hour each way, or two hours one way?  That's still a really long commute.

Yeah, aren't they supposed to set it up so that your farthest school is no more than an hour-long commute?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3927 on: February 07, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
Actually on the Epik/JLP applications, there's a checkbox indicating acceptance that commutes may be upwards of 60 minutes.

Nearly 2 hours one way sounds ridiculous though, if that's the case.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3928 on: February 07, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »

Yeah, aren't they supposed to set it up so that your farthest school is no more than an hour-long commute?

I mean two hours each way...and thats by bus. To be fair its like probably 40 minutes in a car but I don't have one.

It would involve two buses, one to the other end of the city that takes such a roundabout way that it takes almost an hour.
Then a second country bus that would be almost another hour. I think the fastest route on naver by bus was 1 hour 40 but I have to walk to stops.

I live as far away as is possible, there are other teachers who live closer....in fact that school already has a foreign teacher, that likes it, and they want to keep her but they are changing everyone around so she is moving and I will take her place. It's ridiculous.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:20:01 AM by Pennypie »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3929 on: February 07, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »
I mean two hours each way...and thats by bus. To be fair its like probably 40 minutes in a car but I don't have one.

I live as far away as is possible, there are other teachers who live closer....in fact that school already has a foreign teacher, that likes it, and they want to keep her but they are changing everyone around so she is moving and I will take her place. It's ridiculous.

That sucks, I'm sorry. I hope you'll be able to carpool with someone.

I've been thinking about buying a scooter myself just to save time on commuting to work, but I've been hesitant about it because of the craziness I see on the roads here.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3930 on: February 07, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
Sorry so to be clear, that commute is four hours a day then?  That would be an instant 'nope' from me.

Also I didn't realise that teachers can get moved and then replaced by someone new. 

Madness and, dare I say, a kick in the teeth for that teacher who wants to stay at their school!

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3931 on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
Nope, unfortunately not.  :sad:
This upcoming year I will have 4 schools (I'm already missing my old school and I haven't even left yet!) 2 of which are about two and a half hours apart (by public transit). I'm now frantically scrambling to buy a car and find my own housing as close to the midway point as possible......  >:(

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3932 on: February 07, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »

It would involve two buses, one to the other end of the city that takes such a roundabout way that it takes almost an hour.
Then a second country bus that would be almost another hour. I think the fastest route on naver by bus was 1 hour 40 but I have to walk to stops.

I may have to deal with this as well. I found out that I am teaching schools in an area that will take two buses to get to, one bus to the main town is an hour, then whatever time it then takes to get to the rural schools. Hoping to find out this week if I can just move to this smaller town rather than have to travel.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3933 on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
OMG, you guys. D;

Honestly sounds like some bureaucracy is to blame here, I'm so sorry you all have to pay for that. I can't even imagine the levels of pissed-off I'd be if I were in the same situation.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3934 on: February 07, 2017, 10:33:52 AM »
I am not going to complain too much, I am just thrilled to get away from the toxic environment I have been teaching in, so I am quite happy to do whatever it takes. Also, maybe this will give me the incentive I need to get a drivers licence and a car.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3935 on: February 07, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
Basically my cycle through deskwarming: Wooo! --> Booo --> Cool --> Where did it go?

Nailed it.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3936 on: February 07, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »
Sorry so to be clear, that commute is four hours a day then?  That would be an instant 'nope' from me.

Also I didn't realise that teachers can get moved and then replaced by someone new. 

Madness and, dare I say, a kick in the teeth for that teacher who wants to stay at their school!

I dont really have much of a choice. However, I find it unlikely that I will ever have to take the bus. I will probably car pool with another teacher from the school, I've found rural schools are pretty good about that sort of thing.

I think that is the worst part and I feel bad for her too. It's like a computer says no situation. The plan has been made.

I would find it easier if I knew the reasons behind these choices or even who exactly was making them  :rolleyes: but they refuse to straight out tell us what happens.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3937 on: February 07, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
Great news, everyone can stop being jealous that I have two partners because my girlfriend just decided to pursue a relationship with a holocaust denier

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3938 on: February 07, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »
Great news, everyone can stop being jealous that I have two partners because my girlfriend just decided to pursue a relationship with a holocaust denier
wot
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3939 on: February 07, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »
wot

I'm gonna drink the bar dry once I get outta here