December 17, 2018, 02:02:52 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1225846 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3900 on: February 10, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
If you make an app for tourists, don't put any Korean in it. ZERO. If I need the schedule on a metro app to know when the last trains at night are, it shouldn't say 청량리행  in it. EVER.

Same with subtitles. "Aigo, Samchon is here."

Samchon? I though his name was Minsoo, huh. I wonder............"

Agree. Like, for real - if you're making an app for tourists in English don't leave little random morsels of incomprehensibility in there. I can't even count the number of times when I first got here when I got boned by the subway because I didn't even register that the ~~~~~행 actually meant something.

In the beginning I thought this was because the app had been made for Korean tourists, but after a while it became clear that at least a few of them had been made for foreign tourists, and I can't understand why it doesn't occur to the creators that it's not a good idea to mix languages like that. It's not like Korean is a global language.

When your target group is foreign tourists, you'd think they'd hire real translators for their product. I've rage-uninstalled some apps because of that lack of foresight.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:46:48 PM by Chinguetti »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3901 on: February 10, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
If you make an app for tourists, don't put any Korean in it. ZERO. If I need the schedule on a metro app to know when the last trains at night are, it shouldn't say 청량리행  in it. EVER.

Same with subtitles. "Aigo, Samchon is here."

Samchon? I though his name was Minsoo, huh. I wonder............"

100% agree.

My even bigger pet peeve is when blog post guides do this sort of thing (even without hangeul):

"So just head over to the adjumma and hand over your man won".

I've got to do what??  :shocked:

Great example, but I am little more forgiving of blog-posters than I am of app authors.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3902 on: February 10, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »
so today was the graduation ceremony and the last of day of school after this ridiculous week back. so after the ceremony there's a big staff lunch. ask coteacher "where are we going?" she says "samqyupsal restaurant" so I'm all like:

so we get to the restaurant and sit down. there's a whole bunch of banchan (side dishes) on the table. i'm hungry AF because i skipped breakfast, but i don't wanna eat too much because i need to keep room for the samgyupsal. so i'm sitting there picking at the banchan. we are waiting for freakin ages for the food to come. some of the teachers are going all in on the side dishes but i'm just like, nah imma wait, this samgyupsal gonna be sweet AF.

after about 20-30 minutes everyone gets up and starts leaving. and I'm like, "wait, WTF is going on here?"

so i say to my coteacher: "why is everyone leaving, aren't we having lunch?" and she says "yes. we just finished the lunch". so I'm like "but where's the samgyupsal?" and she just laughs and says "today no samgyupsal, just banchan lunch"

and i'm standing there all like:

so now i'm back at school still hungry AF, waiting for the day to end.

I might go and have samgyupsal for dinner now, just to get my revenge.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3903 on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:58 PM »
boxes of pizza and fries and chicken arrived in the office, I was getting hype

but it has all DISAPPEARED it must've been for the students THIS IS SO CRUEL

There is also an entire chocolate cake from paris baguette on the table in our partition but it's still in the box SAVE ME FROM THIS HELL OF FOOD I CAN'T EAT

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3904 on: February 10, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Dave, you bastard, now I am ravenous!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3905 on: February 10, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
Lunch looked like something you'd find clinging to Cthulu's taint. Seriously, who looks at the back end of an octopus and thinks "MMMMMM, 맛있겠다!" Gristle, polyps, tentacles, pincers, at one point I pulled some feelers out from between my teeth and at another point I realized that it was a fish's eye hanging from my chopsticks. But it was a punishment treat provided by a higher-up so... commit :cry:.

I've got a 회식 later where we'll at least be having galbi and not more horrors from the deep, but I've burnt through all my actually-having-an-okay-time-poker-face resources.

I'm officially at intermediate level Korean but I understand sweet f*** all at 회식, what with all the noise and lack of context. So, my challenge to myself is to see how drunk I can get without drawing any unwanted attention.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3906 on: February 10, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »

Ah right, like this....

and this...

and this...

That kind of thing?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3907 on: February 10, 2017, 07:57:52 PM »
wtf is 반찬 lunch? this doesn't exist. you made that story up!

buy if you didn't, jesus ****** christ. worst day ever

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3908 on: February 11, 2017, 12:11:04 AM »
we had a similar lunch for our last school lunch

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3909 on: February 11, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
wtf is 반찬 lunch? this doesn't exist. you made that story up!

buy if you didn't, jesus ****** christ. worst day ever

The other end of the spectrum is bad too.

You pace yourself wrong and are over full when the bring out another course.  I'm looking at you, Shabu Shabu!

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #3910 on: February 13, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
So I am a big guy (3xl shirts). Finding my size in Korea, especially with how remote I live, is next to impossible. However today my coteacher tells me (After mentioning my recontraction tomorrow) that in the new year I should get my parents to send me new clothing. I am like..... I have tried, they have yet to even send me my birthday present from last year.

Does anyone know where to get clothes in fat people sizes?

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #3911 on: February 13, 2017, 08:56:47 AM »
The internet.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3912 on: February 13, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »
So I am a big guy (3xl shirts). Finding my size in Korea, especially with how remote I live, is next to impossible. However today my coteacher tells me (After mentioning my recontraction tomorrow) that in the new year I should get my parents to send me new clothing. I am like..... I have tried, they have yet to even send me my birthday present from last year.

Gmarket has options, but it's best to visit places like Itaewon (Seoul). They have stores there specifically for "Big Size" people where you can find things and try them on before buying. You can find lines of stores less than a minute walk from the subway exits that carry "Big Size" clothes (these stores normally have a sign outside that say "Big Size" to advertise that they carry larger clothing).

Outside of that, you could also just visit a tailor and get shirts made for you. Apparently the prices can be very reasonable and a lot of foreigners opt for this route.

Offline kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #3913 on: February 13, 2017, 09:25:26 AM »

Just saw ASOS are launching a plus size line for men, would be worth checking that out if you don't mind online shopping. I buy from them regularly and have no complaints :) they also often have discount codes on Korean "holidays" like White Day or Peppero Day.

Online DaStrongOne

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3914 on: February 13, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »

My city has an American Premium Outlet. I'd recommend trying to find the nearest one to you.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3915 on: February 13, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »
How do people spend more than two minutes on the job board on Dave's?  It looks like a Myspace page from the early 2000s crossed with emails you find in your spam mailbox.

@@@###FaNTAstic Opp0rtunitIES$$£££APPly NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@

Is this really the best place to look for jobs in Korea?   :huh:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3916 on: February 13, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
How do people spend more than two minutes on the job board on Dave's?  It looks like a Myspace page from the early 2000s crossed with emails you find in your spam mailbox.

The closer it gets to the day you need a job by, the better the sketchy postings start to look.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3917 on: February 13, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »

If you go to Itaewon and arrive via the subway exit that comes out right by Taco Bell, just turn left and walk down the main road. There are several stores that carry (or even specialize in) plus size clothing. They might have signs in English saying so, but you can also keep an eye out for the Korean "큰옷" (keun ot), which means "big clothes."

Here's an example of a sign:

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3918 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »
I always wondered about these stores, are they actually any good?

Online is the way to go, loads of places deliver here now. Its just a shame about the import limit  :sad: I always have to split my orders.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:48:32 AM by Pennypie »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #3919 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »

Yes, when did it become acceptable to describe teaching Engish positions as 'hot.'?