November 18, 2018, 05:41:26 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1167111 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2900 on: December 05, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »
IMO, I would give kids and maybe even adults a pass on the nk/sk thing. I'd 100 per cent give everyone a pass on the Japanese, Chinese, Korean guessing ability.

As a Canadian my grasp of Midwest is not strong.

You were in the right with my countryman. Not always living up to our reputation, unfortunately.

Oh, I don't expect anyone to guess the right country. Though with adults it'd be nice if they don't start randomly guessing like it's some kind of conversation opener.

It was just annoying that they all suddenly decided I might be NK when they previously believed I was from two different countries already. If some other Asian country had gotten into mainstream western news they would've been asking me if I was from that country.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:50:14 PM by yirj17 »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2901 on: December 06, 2016, 08:11:59 AM »
My trip to the doctor yesterday wasn't terribly successful. It was also rather alarming because my blood pressure was MUCH higher than usual when it was measured. I keep a very close eye on my blood pressure because my dad has hypertension.

Anyways, I went to a proper hospital and they had me seen by an internal medicine doctor. I explained my symptoms, and after crossing possible causes like pregnancy and traumatic head injury off the list, he decided to treat me for... acid reflux. I explained that I know what acid reflux feels like, and this is definitely not it, and that my nausea is head nausea not stomach nausea, but he was not moved. He simply said "I'm an internal medicine doctor, so I'm going to treat you for acid reflux. If you don't feel better in three days I'll refer you to a neurologist for an MRI"

*sigh*

When I looked up the meds he gave me though, one of them was dramamine, so hopefully that at least is moderately helpful. He also gave me acid reflux medication and.... some kind of herbal mugwort pill?? Whatever.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2902 on: December 06, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
Sanity check, y'all.

So I prepared an activity for my 3rd graders (that they're actually into in this post-exam apocalypse!). I get a message this morning about a ppt I "can" use for them because my activity is too hard. The ppt is some garbage where like, you write how down how many puppies you think there are in heaven or whatever and then gasp! there's a reveal slide at the end that tells you what your number means. I'm not doing that.

The way I see it, I have an activity the kids enjoy. I have no help in the classroom anyway so I don't even trust I can hold their attention through 30 slides of utter tripe. Tripe I don't even believe in. So I say, "I prefer ACTIVITY X and have already prepared the materials but thanks for the suggestion!" and I'm leaving it at that.

Am I being a big fat lame?

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2903 on: December 06, 2016, 08:34:20 AM »
Sanity check, y'all.

So I prepared an activity for my 3rd graders (that they're actually into in this post-exam apocalypse!). I get a message this morning about a ppt I "can" use for them because my activity is too hard. The ppt is some garbage where like, you write how down how many puppies you think there are in heaven or whatever and then gasp! there's a reveal slide at the end that tells you what your number means. I'm not doing that.

The way I see it, I have an activity the kids enjoy. I have no help in the classroom anyway so I don't even trust I can hold their attention through 30 slides of utter tripe. Tripe I don't even believe in. So I say, "I prefer ACTIVITY X and have already prepared the materials but thanks for the suggestion!" and I'm leaving it at that.

Dead puppies are never an appropriate classroom activity topic.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2904 on: December 06, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
I'm sure this is terribly selfish, but the yearly ice skating rink at City Hall has been cancelled because of the presidential protests and I'm so irritated! I always look forward to it and I was going to take my bf this year but now that plan is down the drain. I know there is the Lotte World rink, but it's far away and way more expensive.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #2905 on: December 06, 2016, 08:38:37 AM »
My trip to the doctor yesterday wasn't terribly successful. It was also rather alarming because my blood pressure was MUCH higher than usual when it was measured. I keep a very close eye on my blood pressure because my dad has hypertension.

Anyways, I went to a proper hospital and they had me seen by an internal medicine doctor. I explained my symptoms, and after crossing possible causes like pregnancy and traumatic head injury off the list, he decided to treat me for... acid reflux. I explained that I know what acid reflux feels like, and this is definitely not it, and that my nausea is head nausea not stomach nausea, but he was not moved. He simply said "I'm an internal medicine doctor, so I'm going to treat you for acid reflux. If you don't feel better in three days I'll refer you to a neurologist for an MRI"

*sigh*

When I looked up the meds he gave me though, one of them was dramamine, so hopefully that at least is moderately helpful. He also gave me acid reflux medication and.... some kind of herbal mugwort pill?? Whatever.
I have had massive frustration with the Korean medical system. In some ways it is excellent, in others awful.
So many doctors here have this way of fixating on one symptom or one diagnosis, when it clearly isn't that thing. You really have to push for the tests that you want, otherwise you'll get stuck in the "come back in 3 days" cycle forever.
Have you had full blood tests/urine test?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2906 on: December 06, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »
Sanity check, y'all.

Some kind of random quiz in that vein could be like a warmer, but I wouldn't do that for an entire class. I've noticed that my female students tend to be more interested than the boys in stuff like "choose a color, find out what it means."

I did some brief "find out your _____ name" (using birthday or initials) with my grade 2s and they seemed to dig it though.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #2907 on: December 06, 2016, 08:47:16 AM »
Sanity check, y'all.

If you're alone in the classroom, then... what they don't know can't hurt them. You can always tack on a few of those (tacky) quizzy thingies at the end of the lesson: shouldn't take more than a minute or two per slide.  :smiley:

Oh, and my guess is about  479, 638, 226, 693 (assuming the puppy/dog cutoff age is 5 months, and that we're talking only about Canis lupus familiaris and not its genetically similar pre-domestication cousins).
What does this say about me?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2908 on: December 06, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »

*sigh*

I have had massive frustration with the Korean medical system. In some ways it is excellent, in others awful.
So many doctors here have this way of fixating on one symptom or one diagnosis, when it clearly isn't that thing. You really have to push for the tests that you want, otherwise you'll get stuck in the "come back in 3 days" cycle forever.
Have you had full blood tests/urine test?

No, but I'll try to push for it when I go back. I tried to push like "hey this is not acid reflux" but he just pulled the "I'm a doctor" shit on me. I am not very .... the dramamine is kicking in and I can't remember the word

Wow today is going to be fun

What's that word though for real

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2909 on: December 06, 2016, 09:05:36 AM »

Oh, and my guess is about  479, 638, 226, 693 (assuming the puppy/dog cutoff age is 5 months, and that we're talking only about Canis lupus familiaris and not its genetically similar pre-domestication cousins).

You will have 479, 638, 226, 693 boyfriends in your life.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #2910 on: December 06, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
You will have 479, 638, 226, 693 boyfriends in your life.
479, 638, 226, 693. Hmm. This might cut into my Waygook posting time.
 Does this mean I get immortality or a spaceship or something? Awesome!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:10:35 AM by kyndo »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2911 on: December 06, 2016, 09:21:20 AM »
All dogs go to heaven?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2912 on: December 06, 2016, 10:17:14 AM »
Mondays and Monday-substitutes should be illegal.

I'm on my period.

I want chocolate but I'm stuck in school.

The amped-up pollution levels from the past week or so have turned my eyes and nose into boggy wastelands.

My ****** tea got cold.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2913 on: December 06, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »
All dogs go to heaven?

No, but this monkey's gone to heaven

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2914 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:08 AM »
All dogs go to heaven?

No, but this monkey's gone to heaven

Monkey bread sounds really good

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2915 on: December 06, 2016, 11:10:43 AM »
he just pulled the "I'm a doctor" shit on me.

The nerve of some doctors these days!  :wink:

On a serious note, hope all goes well, sounds traumatic to say the least  :sad:

Offline YourFriendBen

• Veteran
« Reply #2916 on: December 06, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
I F*CKING HATE ONLINE KOREAN BANKING!
I F*CKING HATE ONLINE KOREAN BANKING!I F*CKING HATE ONLINE KOREAN BANKING!

Did you know I hate Korean online banking?
even if everything goes smoothly, it'll take 20 minutes minimum. any problems and you're looking at and hour at least before you rip a patch of your hair out.
Hans Gruber. Prince Humperdink. Mantis Tobogin.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2917 on: December 06, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »

*sigh*

Seeing as the average doctor back home gets it wrong almost hlaf the time this isn't surprising. There is only one clinic near my school that will do the medical check required for renewal.

The first year I went in and the doctor took my BP and it was high. Like 50 year old man smoking 5 packs of cigs a day high,

Walk outside, check on the machine. Totally normal.

Whatever.

Go back the next year, exact same doctor. She gave me a blood pressure of 180/160 which is 'you're heart is currently exploding please proceed directly to the morgue' type blood pressure. She then tried to prescribe me meds after a single test. Not just go home for three days but a lifelong prescription.

Walk outside. Check on the machine.

Totally normal.

I've obviously never been to that clinic outside of those two times...

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #2918 on: December 06, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »

Did you know I hate Korean online banking?
even if everything goes smoothly, it'll take 20 minutes minimum. any problems and you're looking at and hour at least before you rip a patch of your hair out.

And this is why everyone should completely skip doing banking on your computer and just do it all on your phone. If you already have online banking, setting it up on your phone takes like 15 minutes max and you don't have to install all the junk that you do on a PC.

Also, online banking isn't really that hard.
Coming here from another country, at least the countries of lived in over the past decade, Korean online banking is hard. I don't actually know if hard is the right word to use.
Frustrating, poorly designed and buggy might be closer.
What would be a 10 second login, and 30 second transaction elsewhere, takes far, far longer here.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2919 on: December 06, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »
I'm sure this is terribly selfish, but the yearly ice skating rink at City Hall has been cancelled because of the presidential protests and I'm so irritated! I always look forward to it and I was going to take my bf this year but now that plan is down the drain. I know there is the Lotte World rink, but it's far away and way more expensive.

I heard PGH wanted to go there but she was already skating on thin ice.

I'll get me coat.