December 15, 2018, 07:41:40 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1223495 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2760 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
When you give candy as a reward (not a regular thing for me) and the little s*%ts have the audacity to scream about they don't want this candy, they want more candy and want to swop candy and get belligerent when they don't get more candy when they haven't even bothered to attempt to finish one basic task....

Last time anyone gets candy in my classroom. Back to high fives and "good job".

Teacher, I don't like this candy.

I can count the amount of times I got candy in Elem school on one hand. Buck up, Buttercup.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2761 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »
When you give candy as a reward (not a regular thing for me) and the little s*%ts have the audacity to scream about they don't want this candy, they want more candy and want to swop candy and get belligerent when they don't get more candy when they haven't even bothered to attempt to finish one basic task....

I can count the amount of times I got candy in Elem school on one hand. Buck up, Buttercup.
When I first came to this school, I had a grade 2 high schooler come up to me and ask where the candy was after a game, and even hold his hands out for it. Apparently the previous teacher handed it out all the time.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2762 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
I only ever got candy on Valentine's Day or Halloween back in primary, and it was normally from other students.

My middle school students criticize each other if they complain about the candy that they get. A few of them will even attempt to take candy away from students who dare to complain. Most will just give what they don't like to a friend and go without. Not sure at what point this behavior/expectation is imposed on them because it's not apparently coming from elementary school.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2763 on: December 01, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
I recall getting candy in Elem. school but just for special occasions such as Halloween/Christmas or if you won a contest.

For my elem. kids, I only give them candy for Halloween/Christmas. The majority of them get delighted. The only complaint has been from one kid who doesn't like chocolate (I gave out Reese's mini cups for Halloween). Recently though, my coT has taken to giving the kids candy willy nilly... I give foreign candies tho, so at least my coT isn't giving out the same kind.

In middle school, candy for those two holidays, and at random as prizes for games but infrequently so that they don't expect candy every class. They're always pleased as punch whenever candy is involved, never any whinging about the kind.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2764 on: December 01, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

When I first came to this school, I had a grade 2 high schooler come up to me and ask where the candy was after a game, and even hold his hands out for it. Apparently the previous teacher handed it out all the time.

I give it out all the time myself. However, my schools only want me doing games. So my classes are nothing more than a game for 45 minutes. (middle school). If I don't have a prize, I only get about 2 - 4 students trying (usually part of the same team), having candy as a prize gets most of the students trying.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2765 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
Our lunch schedule changed so now on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I'll have five classes back to back, then finally lunch at 1:15.  :cry: I'm gonna have to bring a snack to eat between classes.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2766 on: December 01, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
Here, I've seen students storm a teachers desk to find more candy, rip open bags and go in her desk while she laughs nervously and they walk away with what they've stolen saying "THANK YOU TEACHER!" After seeing that, I rarely give out prizes anymore. I'm stunned by how ungrateful students can be.
I caught students stealing from my candy stash once before and I never gave that class anything again and made sure they knew why.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2767 on: December 01, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
Here, I've seen students storm a teachers desk to find more candy, rip open bags and go in her desk while she laughs nervously and they walk away with what they've stolen saying "THANK YOU TEACHER!" After seeing that, I rarely give out prizes anymore. I'm stunned by how ungrateful students can be.
I caught students stealing from my candy stash once before and I never gave that class anything again and made sure they knew why.

Well this particular class will never get candy again... NEVER

* but then I had a saving grace class that also were shocked to get candy, and kept thanking me over and over...??
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2768 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »

* but then I had a saving grace class that also were shocked to get candy, and kept thanking me over and over...??
If the kids aren't greatful for candy, no more candy, winning team gets to leave 2 minutes early while the losing team cleans up the room. BWAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2769 on: December 01, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Yeah the candy culture here blows my mind. Getting rewards for doing the bare minimum of what is asked. Unreal.

I share an office with a teacher who is known for having a drawer of treats and so the same six or seven students will bring their screeching and general noise pollution in during the breaks to beg for food like they're stray cats. Those 10 minutes of relative peace are totally shot.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2770 on: December 01, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »

If the kids aren't greatful for candy, no more candy, winning team gets to leave 2 minutes early while the losing team cleans up the room. BWAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW

This is my usual strategy. Will stick with it me thinks!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2771 on: December 01, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »
Which one of you twerps told my principal "Oh, in Gyeonggi-Do we stay at school until 5 even during the vacation! Herp derp!"?

According to my CoT, it was a foreigner.

Now, in typical Gyeonggi see, Gyeonggi do fashion, it looks like I'll be doing exorbitant amounts of deskwarming this vacation that they never saw fit to make me do before they knew Gyeonggi did it.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2772 on: December 01, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Yeah the candy culture here blows my mind. Getting rewards for doing the bare minimum of what is asked. Unreal.

Meh, I use it to my advantage. As much as I would like to say that I constantly get my students' rapt attention and 100% effort, that's not always the case. That's where candy comes in to play. Fortunately for me, candy is candy in their mind. They don't seem to care about quality. So I just buy the cheapest candy in the greatest quantity. What amounts to like 100 won a class: Saves me a ton of time and gets me the participation of "I hate school" students. Win-win situation for all those involved.

As for the unfortunate scenario of the students expecting candy for every little thing, that has been remedied by a "random" number generator   :cheesy:

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #2773 on: December 01, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
Candy is literally the best thing ever.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2774 on: December 01, 2016, 11:54:04 AM »

I share an office with a teacher who is known for having a drawer of treats and so the same six or seven students will bring their screeching and general noise pollution in during the breaks to beg for food like they're stray cats. Those 10 minutes of relative peace are totally shot.

:police: What's this?

:undecided: "It's a pencil."

HAVE A CANDY

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2775 on: December 01, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
Candy is basically the best poisson ever.

donovan

« Reply #2776 on: December 01, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »
Candy is basically poison.

BCS's candy comments are hereafter a drinking game. Everybody take a shot! :laugh:

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #2777 on: December 01, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »
Which one of you twerps told my principal "Oh, in Gyeonggi-Do we stay at school until 5 even during the vacation! Herp derp!"?

According to my CoT, it was a foreigner.

Now, in typical Gyeonggi see, Gyeonggi do fashion, it looks like I'll be doing exorbitant amounts of deskwarming this vacation that they never saw fit to make me do before they knew Gyeonggi did it.

People just don't know when to keep their mouths shut. I see it time and again with co-workers. Either putting themselves in it, or worse, unknowingly condemning some poor sod they have never met to some arbitrary amendment to their working conditions.

When asked questions re:working conditions, especially if you know you have a good thing going, be as vague as possible. Commit to nothing. Use words like "maybe,perhaps,sometimes,might" or "i can't remember/I don't know"

A place I used to work in tried to cut our holidays by 1 week becuase some schmuck at a similar institution went blabbing around that they had less holidays then we did. Idiot.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #2778 on: December 01, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »
Candy is basically the best poisson ever.

J'adore les bonbons de poisson!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:39:52 PM by kyndo »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2779 on: December 01, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »
Candy is basically poison.

BCS's candy comments are hereafter a drinking game. Everybody take a shot! :laugh:

Shots are metaphorically poison.