December 11, 2018, 01:47:42 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1210472 times)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2680 on: November 28, 2016, 05:46:25 PM »
Back-ass halfwords...

Korea will now ban and fine companies with products that use animal testing.

However, you can still beat, torch, electrocute, TORTURE animals in-country.

Will they ever stop eating dogs?  There's a law on the books making it illegal, yet...here we are.

Not a hypocrite, here, as we aren't eating any animals.

Just seems odd, don't use them for tests, but abuse them and eat them is OK?

I'm having a "been living in Korea too long" meltdown ;)

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2681 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »
Not a Korea rant in particular.

I go to gym at almost exactly the same time on my gym days and about twice a week I arrive at the same time as this one guy. Before I leave my apartment, I get a quick caffeine boost and by the time I get to the gym I need a quick loo visit before I start training.
God help me, this guy is always in the toilet when I need it. He takes ages and by the time he gets out, the most demonic, barbaric and revolting stench lingers in the entire passageway for about half an hour.
FFS, guy, can't you do that at home? The gym has the nastiest toilet in Korea, I can't imagine how anyone could stand being in their long enough to take a dump.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2682 on: November 29, 2016, 07:46:15 AM »
The other day I asked my coteacher when I had to get my plan for winter camp in by. Of course, the answer was "I don't know"

I ask her if she has already turned in a plan (without consulting me) as she did for summer camp, so I know what kind of things to plan. She says no, but "assures" me that winter camp's plan will be basically the same as summer camp's (culture-reading-movie classes, in that order)

I point out to her that I can't use the same classes I did for summer camp, because I have already/plan to use most of them for the end of semester period, which she doesn't respond to

I ask her if she already has the books/movies picked out and she says no

So, I can't plan because she will probably send in a plan to the principal without consulting me, yet she hasn't made that plan yet, so I don't know what I should try to start planning. She doesn't have any books or movies picked out so I don't know if there's a theme I can try to go with. I know if I try to plan something and it doesn't fit in with her plan which she won't tell me about, it'll just be scrapped, so I don't want to waste the effort.

I love how people will complain because they don't feel like I'm doing enough work/finishing it early enough, but when I try to ask for info so I can start on my work, they're purposefully vague  :evil:

YoungMin

« Reply #2683 on: November 29, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »
Just been asked if my wife would have a c section so my school could plan the dates of our winter camp.  Having a natural birth would be inconvenient for the school apparently.

Ask if they could euthanise their parents so you can plan your vacation around the funeral service.

Haha. Could you imagine the shit that would go down if you said this?! DO IT!

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2684 on: November 29, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
I am so annoyed by everything lately. Mostly my first graders, who I can hardly hide my disdain for anymore. The screaming, the talking, the sometimes mocking. Oh and the best part -- being told how ~advanced~ they are and yet, when we go over simple drills of something like "I'm interested in..." they still say "I'm interesting soccer."

FFS

Offline sweetkat

• Veteran
« Reply #2685 on: November 29, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »
The other day I asked my coteacher when I had to get my plan for winter camp in by. Of course, the answer was "I don't know"

I ask her if she has already turned in a plan (without consulting me) as she did for summer camp, so I know what kind of things to plan. She says no, but "assures" me that winter camp's plan will be basically the same as summer camp's (culture-reading-movie classes, in that order)

I point out to her that I can't use the same classes I did for summer camp, because I have already/plan to use most of them for the end of semester period, which she doesn't respond to

So, I can't plan because she will probably send in a plan to the principal without consulting me, yet she hasn't made that plan yet, so I don't know what I should try to start planning. She doesn't have any books or movies picked out so I don't know if there's a theme I can try to go with. I know if I try to plan something and it doesn't fit in with her plan which she won't tell me about, it'll just be scrapped, so I don't want to waste the effort.

I love how people will complain because they don't feel like I'm doing enough work/finishing it early enough, but when I try to ask for info so I can start on my work, they're purposefully vague  :evil:

Here's what I used to do...no longer in KOrea, but come on here to be reminded and laugh of what i am not missing....I got tired of the last minute decisions so.
1. i would have a camp already planned.
2. The moment they spoke about camp i'd give them the plan.
3. they complain about the camp.
4.Then I'd say plan it yourself.
5. plan approved.

so much less stress for me, and so much fun watching the surprise on their faces.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2686 on: November 29, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »

Here's what I used to do...no longer in KOrea, but come on here to be reminded and laugh of what i am not missing....I got tired of the last minute decisions so.
1. i would have a camp already planned.
2. The moment they spoke about camp i'd give them the plan.
3. they complain about the camp.
4.Then I'd say plan it yourself.
5. plan approved.

so much less stress for me, and so much fun watching the surprise on their faces.

I'm on my last camp right now. I've had it planned for the past two months, materials everything. I'm expanding upon a topic I did for two periods last year. It went over really well. I teach camp with two different CTs. By teach, I mean they stand and do nothing and occasionally interrupt me.

My one older CT has been throwing a bitch fit about it. She's actually straight up lied to me saying that parents complained about this specific topic last time.

Wander on down to talk to my CT from last year. She tells me what the complaint was. Unrelated to this topic (and totally valid, something I fixed for the following camps on my own because I thought the same.)

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #2687 on: November 29, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »
Just to piggyback on the camp issues...

I am just shocked at the vast incompetency of Korean teachers.

They pick teachers that can't even teach or have confidence speaking English, let alone teaching it. Let's not even talk about home-room teachers babying the kids, as if this is a preschool daycare building... Yet they are 6th grade, so when they come to English, it's hell on earth.

Seriously, you have Co-"teachers" who just download anything they can get there hands on that is pre-made by foreigners (waygook), and then they can't even utilize the materials properly, because they don't understand it. Or, even better, they change it and make it "better," in other words, butchering it with Konglish...

These people can't even utilize a computer properly ffs... pec-typing, double clicking on single link triggers, not knowing HOW ANY SOFTWARE WORKS!

They lack any planning, and problem solving skills.... oh and sleep at the desk. I know I know, special situation, and stress or whatever...

If I was a parent in Korea, I would be worried that these are the type of people that have been "qualified" to teach. I mean, one teacher wanted me to to help with an essay translation, even her Korean was basic, and the context was kimchi and jesus is our lord.... really?!

Yet, at the end of the day, it's the NET who isn't good at teaching, and doesn't do anything but sit on their ass....

FFS SMH, ugh.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2688 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »
I just give up with grade 6 - it's almost the end of the year and I just can't even, nope, it's just not worth the stress.  I'm handing in my bat and ball and going to stand at the back of the class and wait quietly until the end.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2689 on: November 29, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »
Just been asked if my wife would have a c section so my school could plan the dates of our winter camp.  Having a natural birth would be inconvenient for the school apparently.

Ask if they could euthanise their parents so you can plan your vacation around the funeral service.

Haha. Could you imagine the shit that would go down if you said this?! DO IT!

On a more serious note, you are entitled to 2 weeks patternity leave when your child is born, so  make sure they factor that into their dates!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2690 on: November 29, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »
I am so annoyed by everything lately. Mostly my first graders, who I can hardly hide my disdain for anymore. The screaming, the talking, the sometimes mocking. Oh and the best part -- being told how ~advanced~ they are and yet, when we go over simple drills of something like "I'm interested in..." they still say "I'm interesting soccer."

FFS
Yeah, I have a couple classes like this. I just can't put any effort in to care anymore because they get so bad. In a class of 38, only may 5-7 pay attention.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2691 on: November 29, 2016, 12:28:14 PM »

FFS

I'm scary! Baseball is funny!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2692 on: November 29, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »

FFS

I'm scary! Baseball is funny!

I'm so boring. No funny.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2693 on: November 29, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »
Students: No I don't. I have no idea.
CoT: I have no ideaR.
Students: I have no idear.

Offline jlynn2190

• Explorer
« Reply #2694 on: November 29, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »
So some of the comments I read above are exactly what i'm trying to avoid. But I have 2nd semester 3rd yr middle schoolers who literally could not care LESS and the only classes that give me real trouble all are connected to this ONE coteacher who conveniently never comes to class anymore. When I approached her about it, who knows how many times now, she always says "oh really? well they are the best class in the whole grade?" or "No i don't think [insert misbehaving child's name] is doing that on purpose, he/she must not understand you" even though said child is speaking copious english before class starts and as soon as I start talking he/she plays dead....*ultimate side eye*. They definitely know when she is not around and that's when they try to act like they've lost their minds. On one hand, I want them engaged and I try to do as much different active things as possible but on the other hand I dont want to feel like a court jester who's playing babysitter to some bratty teenagers. And seriously, why the heck does she think not coming to class is going to help??? She's the one telling me some of the students act out because they don't understand enough English....welllllll what do you think YOUR job is madame???? To help with translations!!! seriously I'm more ready to check out on the coteacher because she's really starting to piss me off with how little she wants to be helpful, I understand the kids checking out but the teacher??? That's what she's getting paid for! 

Offline wanderingskald

• Adventurer
« Reply #2695 on: November 29, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
Winter camp.

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #2696 on: November 29, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
So some of the comments I read above are exactly what i'm trying to avoid. But I have 2nd semester 3rd yr middle schoolers who literally could not care LESS and the only classes that give me real trouble all are connected to this ONE coteacher who conveniently never comes to class anymore. When I approached her about it, who knows how many times now, she always says "oh really? well they are the best class in the whole grade?" or "No i don't think [insert misbehaving child's name] is doing that on purpose, he/she must not understand you" even though said child is speaking copious english before class starts and as soon as I start talking he/she plays dead....*ultimate side eye*. They definitely know when she is not around and that's when they try to act like they've lost their minds. On one hand, I want them engaged and I try to do as much different active things as possible but on the other hand I dont want to feel like a court jester who's playing babysitter to some bratty teenagers. And seriously, why the heck does she think not coming to class is going to help??? She's the one telling me some of the students act out because they don't understand enough English....welllllll what do you think YOUR job is madame???? To help with translations!!! seriously I'm more ready to check out on the coteacher because she's really starting to piss me off with how little she wants to be helpful, I understand the kids checking out but the teacher??? That's what she's getting paid for!

Yup....

I wasn't going to stay at my school, but they were already not going to ask me to stay... Why? I know for a fact it's because I have been very strict for the last two years for them to maintain classroom discipline etc... and that I will refuse to teach otherwise. I have had many classes where I walked out, one where I just straight went home, and some where I just sit down in class because, well its hell... So they have ACTUALLY HAD TO DO THEIR JOBS! IMAGINE THAT!!!!! So now they are trying to fish for a noobie who they can slave around, and go back to doing jack in the classroom (****** up your ppt because they sit there at the computer but are actually kakaoing on their phone.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2697 on: November 29, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »

I have to pick up the test results later in the week... another unpaid trip.

Every time I've done one (I just did my sixth), the clinic/hospital has given me the option of having the results mailed to my workplace. Maybe that's something you can ask about?

waywardtimelord

« Reply #2698 on: November 29, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »

I have to pick up the test results later in the week... another unpaid trip.

Every time I've done one (I just did my sixth), the clinic/hospital has given me the option of having the results mailed to my workplace. Maybe that's something you can ask about?

I haven't used any sick days yet. Hmm. I guess maybe since I'm not "sick" they are hesitant to call it a sick day. I'll ask about that. As far as having the results mailed, that would be amazing. DMOE specifically told us we had to pick them up and hand-deliver them, though.

Never thought I'd long for the medical exam at orientation.... haha

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2699 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »

FFS
Yeah, I have a couple classes like this. I just can't put any effort in to care anymore because they get so bad. In a class of 38, only may 5-7 pay attention.

I have classes where only 6 kids show up and only one can be coerced into paying attention while the other boys wrestle and call each other pieces of shit x_x

Why is it like this