October 19, 2018, 01:35:33 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1122463 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2380 on: November 11, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »
Waygook.org user CO2 has a point. If she learned to love her sister, despite her sister allegedly being "fat, ugly, and even stupid" then it sounds like she's made some progress. Plus, maybe she's just joking. Maybe she doesn't even have a sister.

So, official.  :afro:

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2381 on: November 11, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »

ugh

Your poor coteacher... you couldn't ask a friend to go? Maybe you should go to the hospital?

Yeah... you seem like a nice human being, Moonbrie, but - I feel like you're asking a little above and beyond what should be expected of a coteacher. Like... maybe go to a hospital. If you're feeling nauseated all the time, that could be a sign of something bad that you might want to get checked out. I know going to the doc here in Korea is challenging and extra spooky, but sometimes you just have to do it. Also, even in rural areas, any doctor under 40 is going to speak competent English. They might be a bit reluctant, but eventually you'll be able to find someone to help you.

:undecided: I was under the impression that helping with things we couldn't achieve without a Korean speaker was part of the handler coteacher's duties. I haven't asked her to help me with hospital/clinic visits before this because they weren't very complicated and could easily be conducted with my Korean and a translation app.  (I've gotten sick a lot here, and had to go to the clinic 3 or 4 times in the past few months)

Also, I didn't mean to sound like I was mad at my coteacher. I was very appreciative that she took me to the eye doctor. I was just frustrated at the feeling that she was listening to the eye doctor's crap and not trying very hard to understand me; but even then, I was more upset with the eye doctor ranting on and on about how I'm stupid and don't need glasses in such a way that he even convinced her.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:59:27 PM by moonbrie »

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2382 on: November 11, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
I feel like they should put the female NETs with a male co teacher. All I ever here on here from a female female team is constant bickering, bitching and fighting. The female male combinations seems to produce less of that shite. Sue me.

Less bickering.......

but when I had a male co teacher I was treated like a child, belittled and perved at. He was a bit older and was obviously trying to be nice but it would make my skin crawl. He would also randomly scream at the students for no reason.
 The younger male co teacher I had would distract the boys in the class, obviously wanting to be their brother and feel like a cool teacher.

I've never had problems with co-teachers but bickering seems way more easy. Even with the above teachers I just shut up and played the EPIK co teaching game and as far as I know they loved me.

It sounds so backwards and if this were home I would totally disagree...but I feel like here in Korea its way more comfortable to put male with male and female with female. This isn't true all of the time sure...but sadly it mostly is.

Haha students at my school complained when my 60 year old male ct shared his umbrella with me when we walked across the schoolyard to lunch one day in the pouring rain.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2383 on: November 11, 2016, 02:55:17 PM »
it wasn't really a big deal to make a mistake like that, and I was only offended because it's my country and my president.

this coming from people who are from a country that has an actual ****** website where foreigners can go to to report inaccurate facts about south korea they may have seen or read somewhere  :rolleyes:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2384 on: November 11, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »
it wasn't really a big deal to make a mistake like that, and I was only offended because it's my country and my president.

this coming from people who are from a country that has an actual ****** website where foreigners can go to to report inaccurate facts about south korea they may have seen or read somewhere  :rolleyes:

hahahah omg I had no idea about that. Wow.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2385 on: November 11, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »

The first was a letter to the Ugly Duckling saying that she felt bad for him and reading the ugly duckling made her reconsider how she had purposefully avoided her sister, who is "fat, ugly, and even stupid." Gah! Wtf!

When pressed, I went for the first, because even though it was really harsh, it was better written and didn't have a ridiculous error. My coteachers seemed to be leaning towards the Obama one, and tried to make it like it wasn't really a big deal to make a mistake like that, and I was only offended because it's my country and my president. Well... duh. Of course. I asked them to consider if a student had written that Park Geun-Hye had grown up in North Korea and a light seemed to go off in their heads.

But the story made her reconsider avoiding her sister. So the story worked? It's not great what she did, but she's opening her eyes to the lesson inherent in that story. What's the problem?

Waygook.org user CO2 has a point. If she learned to love her sister, despite her sister allegedly being "fat, ugly, and even stupid" then it sounds like she's made some progress. Plus, maybe she's just joking. Maybe she doesn't even have a sister.

Hey, I did choose it over the Obama one lol
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:09:21 PM by moonbrie »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2386 on: November 11, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »

hahahah omg I had no idea about that. Wow.

knock yourself out: https://www.factsaboutkorea.go.kr/mwelcome.do?ln=en

oh and guess what? in order to report anything you have to download some security software first. of course  :laugh: and of course the page that comes up with the security software is all in korean.

i found that out because as a pisstake i was going to report that i saw a website that incorrectly labelled Takeshima as korean territory. but couldn't be bothered to do all the security software shite.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2387 on: November 11, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »
How does that watermark not make you cringe? Or are you doing that ironically?

Yes.  :afro:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2388 on: November 12, 2016, 09:10:49 AM »
Trump elected and Leonard Cohen died.

Bad week for hipsters  :rolleyes:

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2389 on: November 13, 2016, 05:23:28 AM »
It's a bummer, indeed.

Trump Announces Big Gift To Banks Despite His Campaign Rhetoric Against Wall Street

http://news.groopspeak.com/breaking-trump-announces-big-gift-to-banks-despite-his-campaign-rhetoric-against-wall-street/

President-elect Trump is announcing on his website that he will immediately dismantle the Dodd-Frank financial regulations put into place shortly after the 2008 crash and signed into law by President Obama. With a Republican Congress backing him up, itís fair to say that he will get his wish.

Banks are hailing the move as a godsend and see it as less oversight and more profit.

If such a move is implemented, its effects will be far-reaching. It will get rid of legislation that has up until now protected consumers from abusive lending and mortgage practices by banks that caused the financial crisis in the first place Ė and which it sought to prevent from happening again.

In total, there are 16 major areas of oversight reform that the law put into place that will go away.

Itís no secret that Republicans have been wanting to undo the massive legislation since the very moment it was implemented. They will now get their chance.

What's the most appropriate Leonard Cohen song to describe that?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #2390 on: November 13, 2016, 10:43:08 AM »
President-elect Trump is announcing on his website that he will immediately dismantle the Dodd-Frank financial regulations put into place shortly after the 2008 crash and signed into law by President Obama. With a Republican Congress backing him up, itís fair to say that he will get his wish.
Banks are hailing the move as a godsend and see it as less oversight and more profit.

"I'm your man"?

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2391 on: November 13, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »

"I'm your man"?

Surely this^^^^

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2392 on: November 13, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »
I was just about post that one.

How about...

The Future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D97OxHZzBeQ

If Clinton had won...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU-RuR-qO4Y

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2393 on: November 13, 2016, 02:57:11 PM »
Sorry, I think you missed my point.  I'll quote myself and highlight the gag  :wink:

Trump elected and Leonard Cohen died.

Bad week for hipsters  :rolleyes:

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2394 on: November 13, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
'SNL': Kate McKinnon's Clinton Performs Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/snl-kate-mckinnons-clinton-performs-leonard-cohens-hallelujah-946767
In honor of Leonard Cohen, who passed away earlier this week, Kate McKinnon kicked off the episode in character as Hillary Clinton at the piano, singing one of Cohen's most famous tunes, "Hallelujah."

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2395 on: November 14, 2016, 07:40:06 AM »
The buses have started to show those weird eating videos. I don't understand why they're popular. Watching a woman gorge herself on chicken is not what I want to see on a Monday morning, or ever.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2396 on: November 14, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »
Classes usually run smoother without coT interference. Stop translating every little thing immediately after I or students say it aloud!! Let them think about it for a moment!! Immediately translating and then asking them to tell her what it is in Korean aka parroting back what she literally just said!!!  >:( >:( >:( Can you at least say the damn numbers in English!!! All of the numbers were less than 10!!! FFS

coT: Did you say hi to the principal?
Me: Yes.
coT: You had better go and say hi to the principal.
Me: I did.
coT: Really?? When?
Me: In the teacher's office when she came in.
coT: But where?
Me: She came to the teacher's office.
coT: Ohhh hmmm well that's good.

I hate how redundant elem. can be.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2397 on: November 14, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »
Classes usually run smoother without coT interference. Stop translating every little thing immediately after I or students say it aloud!! Let them think about it for a moment!! Immediately translating and then asking them to tell her what it is in Korean aka parroting back what she literally just said!!!  >:( >:( >:( Can you at least say the damn numbers in English!!! All of the numbers were less than 10!!! FFS

coT: Did you say hi to the principal?
Me: Yes.
coT: You had better go and say hi to the principal.
Me: I did.
coT: Really?? When?
Me: In the teacher's office when she came in.
coT: But where?
Me: She came to the teacher's office.
coT: Ohhh hmmm well that's good.

I hate how redundant elem. can be.
I always got a little irritated at my first school CoT when she would go over the test answers but say the numbers in Korean. Little thing, but still.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2398 on: November 14, 2016, 10:49:12 AM »
Lately she's been asking me to start class a few minutes (5 - 10, sometimes turns into 20) later so the students can review (aka robotically recite the dialogue).

I can appreciate that she asks politely but it's a bit irksome because always the week prior she makes a point of telling me that I need to prepare "lots of fun activities" for the students for the following week.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #2399 on: November 14, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
I absolutely hate supervising exams

45 minutes of complete boredom torture

Most the kids finish the tests within 10/15 minutes then go to sleep for half hour, unbeleivable Jeff.