May 22, 2018, 12:21:59 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 919689 times)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2160 on: November 02, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »
I hate American cities. The public transportation is horrendous and Americans are the most juvenile people I've ever meet. I actually saw an American walking around in fuc*ing baby's clothes at my campus the other day. The fact that baby's clothes are made in adult sizes shows how pathetic Americans are.

the other day being halloween, right?

YoungMin

« Reply #2161 on: November 02, 2016, 03:17:17 PM »
I hate American cities. The public transportation is horrendous and Americans are the most juvenile people I've ever meet. I actually saw an American walking around in fuc*ing baby's clothes at my campus the other day. The fact that baby's clothes are made in adult sizes shows how pathetic Americans are.

Fair play mate. 9/10 rant.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2162 on: November 02, 2016, 03:19:36 PM »

Was it her?

Or her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmKN6DT-VE

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2163 on: November 02, 2016, 05:53:54 PM »
Why does every public lighting installation here have to be that slow-transition-multi-colored lighting? Just when I thought the new Lotte Mall in Jamsil wasn't half bad looking they flipped on the lights, and sure enough it was that very STMC lighting all over the exterior. And now, the same has happened for the adjoining super tower. Now that the structure is completed I concluded against my initial judgement that it isn't such a bad looking building afterall. But just today, running down the Han in the evening, I look up to see the crowning antennae structure lit up for the first time. My initial reaction was that it added nicely to the overall effect until two seconds later it changed from a light peach color to a deep magenta, then to purple, then to dark blue. Does anyone else find this lighting overly garish and especially tacky and basically unbecoming for anything other than a Christmas tree?  Why am I so bothered by it :cry:(Speaking of Christmas trees, why am I so bothered by cafes that put up Christmas themed trinkets and then leave them up year-round?! And speaking of tacky, how about all that weird chintzy faux-victorian-era rococo looking furniture you see all over the dramas here?! IT'S ALL COMING OUT NOW!!) :blank:

Was it her?

Or her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmKN6DT-VE

Don't you feel like k-pop is a billion-dollar industrialization of this fetish? Props for the 30 Rock clip, btw~
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:04:50 PM by donovan »

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2164 on: November 02, 2016, 07:07:33 PM »
11 weeks since I left Korea and STILL waiting for my housing deposit

Will my ties to Korea ever be severed  :cry: (probably not whilst I still stalk waygook.org)

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #2165 on: November 03, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »
Who was the lazy person that neglected to teach Koreans the word "letter?" Q is not the alphabet. Q is a LETTER! The LETTER Q, not ALPHABET Q! And when I say LETTER, don't confuse the students by translating with ALPHABET, idiot coteacher!

Also, if I hear "finish-ee, lunch-ee, alphabet H-ee" one more time...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2166 on: November 03, 2016, 08:50:48 AM »
some of my students think the word for "letter" is "spell"
 :huh: :cry: :cry:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2167 on: November 03, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »
Why does every public lighting installation here have to be that slow-transition-multi-colored lighting? Just when I thought the new Lotte Mall in Jamsil wasn't half bad looking they flipped on the lights, and sure enough it was that very STMC lighting all over the exterior. And now, the same has happened for the adjoining super tower. Now that the structure is completed I concluded against my initial judgement that it isn't such a bad looking building afterall. But just today, running down the Han in the evening, I look up to see the crowning antennae structure lit up for the first time. My initial reaction was that it added nicely to the overall effect until two seconds later it changed from a light peach color to a deep magenta, then to purple, then to dark blue. Does anyone else find this lighting overly garish and especially tacky and basically unbecoming for anything other than a Christmas tree?  Why am I so bothered by it :cry:(Speaking of Christmas trees, why am I so bothered by cafes that put up Christmas themed trinkets and then leave them up year-round?! And speaking of tacky, how about all that weird chintzy faux-victorian-era rococo looking furniture you see all over the dramas here?! IT'S ALL COMING OUT NOW!!) :blank:

Don't you feel like k-pop is a billion-dollar industrialization of this fetish? Props for the 30 Rock clip, btw~
I went to a hotel last weekend and they had a mix of huge bright Christmas decorations, trees, and lights with Halloween stuff. It was driving me crazy. But you're right, there are too many cafes that just leave it all up all year. I'm a very festive person, in the right seasons. Bah humbug.

And yes, kpop is essentially just pure infantalization.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2168 on: November 03, 2016, 09:33:13 AM »
That 21 Year Old Girl Vid almost got me in trouble at work. Thanks jackass.

Offline bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #2169 on: November 03, 2016, 10:14:28 AM »
Who was the lazy person that neglected to teach Koreans the word "letter?" Q is not the alphabet. Q is a LETTER! The LETTER Q, not ALPHABET Q! And when I say LETTER, don't confuse the students by translating with ALPHABET, idiot coteacher!

Omg this annoys me so much too, especially the part about coteachers translating "letter" as "alphabet." Ugghhhhhh

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2170 on: November 03, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »
For the last few days this week, one of the teachers has been making something to drink, some sort of tea, and it is SO strong smelling. I can't tell if I like it or hate it, but it is so distinct.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2171 on: November 03, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
That 21 Year Old Girl Vid almost got me in trouble at work. Thanks jackass.

And then the same teacher that almost got you in trouble for having that on your screen shows their students some Kpop video where scantily clad teens dry hump chairs.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2172 on: November 03, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »

Will my ties to Korea ever be severed  :cry: (probably not whilst I still stalk waygook.org)
Sorry to say, but chances are, if they have stalled this long, they aren't going to pay you.

Do you have boots on the ground who can help?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2173 on: November 03, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
For the last few days this week, one of the teachers has been making something to drink, some sort of tea, and it is SO strong smelling. I can't tell if I like it or hate it, but it is so distinct.

Does it smell sort of like berries mixed with licorice, that sort of thing?

Homemade jujube tea is really popular this time of year, and the smell is super strong. The tea itself is thick and brown and will normally have some of the sliced up berries floating around in it.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2174 on: November 03, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »
I wanted to take a picture of the ginko trees at my school.  The leaves were about to peak and be all brilliant and yellow.  BUT due to a hard freeze and then wind, they are now almost totally bare. 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2175 on: November 03, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »

Does it smell sort of like berries mixed with licorice, that sort of thing?

Homemade jujube tea is really popular this time of year, and the smell is super strong. The tea itself is thick and brown and will normally have some of the sliced up berries floating around in it.
No, its... I can't describe it. It's like a bastardization of a tea smell I'm familiar with. But its not jujube, though I have seen some of the teachers drying out some of those, so I'm guessing that tea will be coming soon too.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2176 on: November 03, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »

Sorry to say, but chances are, if they have stalled this long, they aren't going to pay you.

Well, the co-ordinator at my office of ed is supposed to be helping but he doesn't seem to have any sense of urgency about it  :lipsrsealed: I feel like I'm probably not going to get it either, which is insane seeing as I worked for public schools. The new teacher at my school hasn't received her flight allowance yet either so it sounds like the school is having money problems

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2177 on: November 03, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
And I'm just sitting here wondering why my paycheck is 200,000W less than usual for last month. I didn't take off any unpaid days last month and I went to all my travel schools regularly. Wtf?

Still trying to get my payslip from admin. I really wish creepo wasn't in charge there.

YoungMin

« Reply #2178 on: November 03, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »

FALSE.

She worked at a public school so the money is safe/guaranteed unless she left the apartment in a right state.

THEY CAN'T NOT PAY YOU.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2179 on: November 03, 2016, 02:04:13 PM »
And I'm just sitting here wondering why my paycheck is 200,000W less than usual for last month. I didn't take off any unpaid days last month and I went to all my travel schools regularly. Wtf?

Still trying to get my payslip from admin. I really wish creepo wasn't in charge there.

You should be able to see your payslip on NEIS if you're at a public school.
If you don't know how, you can get your co-teacher to help you, maybe?

I've tried. It's all zeroes, all the time. I'm really rural so I'm paid by my county's office which might be why?  :undecided:

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018