May 24, 2018, 04:09:16 AM

Author Topic: Weight-loss FAQ and Tips  (Read 198417 times)

Offline smmoon3031

• Adventurer
  • Aaahh!!! Real Koreans
Re: Stay lean LONG TERM on High Carb Low Fat Low Protein
« Reply #660 on: January 11, 2018, 02:57:26 AM »
I think the one thing we can all take away from this thread is that adding bold, underlines, and italics all over your post is the best way to assert your authority on an issue.

Ugh troll  :rolleyes:

Nah, just pointing out an obnoxious habit he seems to have every time I see him post. Not that I expect it to change, since when someone suggested he try being less hostile and maybe people will be more likely to listen to him, he essentially scoffed and shouted them down. Par for the course, I'm afraid.

Related: I'm actually a vegetarian. I kinda wish there was a different word I could use for it, though, because telling people I am sometimes gets me lumped in with the shouty, bold-typing lot.

Troll.  Come back with  :-[ :-* :laugh: :cry:substance ;D >:( 8) :P  You're probably the one of those people that corrects other people's grammar when you don't have anything to say.   :shocked: :lipsrsealed: :undecided: :evil: :smiley: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
I'll start doing emoji from now is that cool with you  :afro: :police: format police? :huh: :rolleyes:

Back on topic: Whole foods fruits, vegetable, legumes, and grain diet for Long term lean happy healthy living.

Back on topic: I went meat and alcohol free about two years ago, then gave up soda a year after that. Strangely, I think I noticed a much more drastic improvement and faster weight loss when I gave up the soda. That's not to say that consumption of soda should be a larger consideration than meat vs vegetarian, of course, but it does say that I was drinking waaaay the hell too much soda before  :laugh:.

Sources that replicate soda having a bigger impact than meat?  otherwise this is just anecdotal?  .COM sources, blogs, and youtube linking people want me to take you seriously at the same time you question peer reviewed clinical studies? I don't take people who come to a knife fight with butter seriously.  Yes butter not even a butter knife.

Serious question: Can you read?

Are you actually reading what people are writing here?

I specifically said "That's not to say that consumption of soda should be a larger consideration than meat vs vegetarian, of course."

NOT to say. NOT. Do you know wha" means? I even threw in an "of course," because of-f*cking-course soda shouldn't be a larger consideration.

Are you assuming I disagree with your position on this issue and then arguing with what you think I'm saying, rather than reading and understanding what I'm actually saying.

To reiterate:

I am a vegetarian.

I do not eat meat.

I agree with most of the things you say here, just not with how you say it.

I do NOT think soda has a bigger impact here.

J F'ing C.

Get down of your high horse form time to time and you'll see that some people do actually agree with you.

I apologize.  If, I misread.  Truly I do.  But what was the " I think I noticed a much more drastic improvement and faster weight loss when I gave up the soda" (than when I gave up meat).  It would just be nice if you would back your statements up with something of substance instead of telling me how I should conduct myself or trying to be "joking" about formating.  I honestly don't care what anyone, especially someone on a forum, says about how I spread my message.  The message is clear and in the right. 

How is there any argument. Vegetarianism CAN be good for you. It can also be bad for you. Same with a traditional omnivore diet. The key isn't what you eat. It's moderation and diversity in the various food groups. Vegans can be healthy too, as long as they fulfill as their dietary needs.

You can lose weight and still eat what you want regardless of the diet you choose. Weight loss is very simple. Health is very simple (for the average man, which is what most people are talking about here). I don't know how there are 33 pages of this.

Ramen is bad for you, but can be eaten with no problems under moderation.
Beer is bad for you, but it's okay within moderation (+ studies show hops might be good for you).
Vegetables are good for you (with moderation)
Meat is good for you (with moderation).

Moderation. *mic drop, walks off stage, trips on untied shoelace, gives the floor a giant hug*

See MTim? This is the BS I have to deal with.  How should I reply to such asinine statements with no evidence?  RichardTang, I took you serious and as a logical person on the subject. I won't make that mistake again.

Back on topic:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3695616/  The benefits calorie restriction diets, they found that protein(meat) restriction was more important

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1474-9726.2012.00798.x/abstract;jsessionid=2B4D34E203402E9F54BBEEEB6B3E0674.f03t04
Protein(meat) restriction was shown to extend life

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2815731/ Even just the restriction of protein(meat) had the benefits of a calorie restriction diet.

Whole foods vegetable, fruits, legumes, and grains for lean healthy happy cheap compassionate living.

None of the articles specify meat protein. The amino acids tested can be derived from sources other than meat.

The first article you cited focuses primarily on the two pathways that are involved with the process of amino acid level detection, and the results that were recorded on manipulating them.

The second article found that protein restriction was more important to life extension than the calories restricted. However, "results suggest that convergent adaptation to laboratory conditions better explains the observed DR–longevity relationship than evolutionary conservation although alternative explanations are possible."

The third article is about the ratio of protein to non-protein energy ingested and how it affects the benefits listed in the article.

tl;dr. none of these articles indicate that MEAT protein reduces these benefits. It indicates that a large consumption of protein could reduce the benefits listed, and that a lower intake may be more beneficial in a restricted diet.

Offline jimskins

• Adventurer
Re: Weight-loss FAQ and Tips
« Reply #661 on: January 11, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
My ex-girlfriend found this magazine really useful:

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #662 on: April 05, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »
A recently completed year long study involving 609 participants came to the following conclusions:

"No significant weight-loss differences were seen between the low-fat and low-carb groups, and neither genetics nor insulin production could predict weight-loss success on either diet. There were also no significant differences between groups for most other health markers tested."
https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/

Whatever diet helps you maintain a caloric deficit is the one that works. Insulin is not the evil hormone that causes you to be fat. Genes (at least the genes they tested) did not seem to make a difference. 

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #663 on: April 05, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
I watched this last night and found it surprisingly interesting and well thought out, for a cheesy BBC documentary.
As someone who was always a skinny kid and nobody, including myself could understand why, this was pretty illuminating.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #664 on: April 05, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
I like this channel.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #665 on: April 05, 2018, 02:30:00 PM »
My ex-girlfriend found this magazine really useful:

;D
My CT just spent most of the morning complaining how she exercises, but can't lose weight.
I just went to the staff room to get some water and found her, and 3 other teachers, totally inhaling a massive cake!

Me - "Oh... is it someone's birthday today?"
Them - ".........no"

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #666 on: April 05, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
;D
My CT just spent most of the morning complaining how she exercises, but can't lose weight.
I just went to the staff room to get some water and found her, and 3 other teachers, totally inhaling a massive cake!

Them - ".........no"
People think like losing weight is this big puzzle, or that it's hard, "What do I do?"

It takes willpower. That's it. You want to lose weight or you're willing to slip and enjoy the cake.

It's not rocket science.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #667 on: April 05, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »
I realised for me it is just eating less.  I don't eat a large amount and I don't snack on shit food and I'm vegetarian so I don't have a massively unhealthy diet as it is.  But if I make a lentil/tomato/tofu casserole which in itself is not unhealthy, I find I still eat a lot of it in one go. 

I always thought my weight was related to exercise but after last year (summer 89 kilos to winter 83 kilos) I found it was not, mainly due to the dusty weather that I couldn't go out walking, but the weight disappeared.  So I just made sure I had porridge for breakfast, and a small lunch and then a normal dinner during that time.  Then I went home in the winter and ending up drinking most days and eating curries and the like, so all the weight came back.  Now I'm back at school, there is no drinking Sunday to Thursday, and I control my intake, then the kilos go again. 

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #668 on: April 05, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »
;D

Them - ".........no"
People think like losing weight is this big puzzle, or that it's hard, "What do I do?"

It takes willpower. That's it. You want to lose weight or you're willing to slip and enjoy the cake.

It's not rocket science.

True, they lack the willpower, but how to get it isn't always as straightforward.

My wife isn't overweight, but she does put on weight incredibly easily and has to make conscious choices to keep herself from putting weight on. I've never been overweight a day in my life.

The other day, I noticed something incredibly interesting. We'd both had the same breakfast (portion sizes roughly the same relative to our respective height and weight), had the same lunches packed and did the same work at school.
We got home at about 5pm and did a few chores. By 5:30, she had to stop to eat as she was "famished" and getting a headache. I felt mildly hungry, but light and energetic... So I went to gym, did 45min of weights, came home and then sat down to eat, I could've comfortably gone another hour or two without eating.

It comes down to psychological development and our childhoods couldn't have been more different.

I grew up constantly playing sports. I also binged on computer games and was quite active. I was also rather fidgety and till today, I'm always shacking my leg or twitching my foot when I sit down. Psychologically, I didn't feel comfortable eating a big meal unless I was done doing whatever I was busy with, even if I was hungry. To me, food is, for the most part, sustenance. I enjoy it, but struggle to justify driving for hours to go to a special restaurant. I also spent the majority of my teen years and 20s (before coming to Korea) surfing with my buddies. Since surfing involved driving to surf spots (many off the beaten path with no shops) we'd learn to ignore hunger until we got home and chow down like locusts to home cooked meals when we did.

She played no sports. Food was the glue that bonded her family, so she developed a more emotional connection to it than I did. She wants a Magnum ice-cream, she'll get in the car to drive to the 7-eleven to get it, whereas I can't be arsed and will just ignore the craving till it goes away.

Regarding exercise, the motif with people struggling to lose weight is the same. Exercise is torture to them, they don't enjoy it. You want to understand how I find the motivation to train 4-6 days a week? It's fun. I've passed the aesthetic gratification a while ago and while it's definitely a bonus, the feeling of getting stronger, faster and fitter, along with the high that intense physical exertion, is addictive.

TLDR
Whether overweighting, lack of training or a combination of both is your problem, the very way you think is your biggest hurdle; thankfully, it's possible to reprogram this.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #669 on: April 05, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
Me: 5'5 (165 cm), weighed 145 lbs (65 kg) when i studied abroad. came to korea and dropped down to 125 lbs (56 kg) with some effort (about 5 lbs more to go)

first of all i believe it's important to find your body type. i'm a mesomorph so it's easy to lose fat and gain muscle. other body types will need to follow different approaches.

i found for me cutting out simple carbs made a huge difference. bread especially was a huge culprit in my diet. also, i was drinking quite a lot of beer because, beer. i love beer. however, clear/lighter liquids tend to have less calories (if you're going out drinking and are concerned about calories, order a vodka tonic).

the best way to ensure a healthy and lower calorie diet is simple portion control. when you eat, try to load up on low-calorie and water packed foods first; i.e. fruits and vegetables, soups, yogurt, etc. use less sauces.

for me, about 60% veggies, 20% protein, and 10% carbs is the fastest and most effective way to lose weight.

i eat big breakfasts, medium lunches, and small dinners. a few snacks in between if i'm hungry (fruit usually or peanut butter bread). stay hydrated!!!!!!!!!! if you need an appetite suppressant, coffee and tea does the trick, but usually being dehydrated really hinders weight loss (we tend to overeat when dehydrated). soda is a literal waste of money and calories. it's terrible for you and adds hundreds of calories to your daily intake depending on how much you drink. don't eat too late.

as for exercise, HIIT or tabata is great for revving up your metabolism. long, tedious cardio workouts aren't all that beneficial except towards endurance. it's better to do interval training in which you challenge your muscles and metabolism. this will help build lean muscle which in turn ups your basal metabolic rate (BMR).

speaking of, you should calculate your BMR. mine is about 1,300-1,400. this means i need to intake that amount simply for my body to sustain itself. as we all know, weight loss is about calorie deficiency. intake less calories than you burn everyday and you'll lose weight. HOWEVER, if you intake less than your BMR in hopes of losing weight, you'll damage your metabolism which will cause long term greater weight gain.

TLDR:
weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% fitness. best bet is to have a healthy diet, build lean muscle which will rev up your BMR, drink lots of water, and do HIIT exercises rather than long, repetitive exercise. eat less simple carbs, eat more veggies and healthy proteins/fats. putting on muscle means you WILL gain weight (muscle is heavier than fat) but you also will burn more calories. oh, and get enough sleep and reduce stress. good luck! 

I agree, except on a few things. Even simple carbs have their use, it all depends on timing. Not that I have trouble with fat, but I like to keep ripped year round. I believe it's simply best to eat for what you're going to do.

Early in the day is when it's best to get those complex, slow release carbs down, you'll get a constant energy feed throughout the day.
Simple carbs are best consumed in moderation and right before physical activity.

One thing people need to get straight, muscle is NOT heavier than fat, it's denser; a cubic centimetre of muscle will weigh more than a cubic centimetre of fat. So, if your denser muscle will weigh more on the scale, but occupy far less space than you fat, meaning it's possible to look slim and athletic, yet weigh more than an overweight person of the same height. Korean women in particular are terrified of gaining muscle and looking like an olympic shot putter... if you don't want to resemble the hulk trust me... you won't. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #670 on: April 05, 2018, 10:43:35 PM »
we'd learn to ignore hunger until we got home and chow down like locusts to home cooked meals when we did.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, LIKE locusts. hahahaha

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #671 on: April 06, 2018, 02:46:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Nh-kfIBu4

He has loads of videos on youtube to help you get in shape and lose weight (either or)

He also is a goldmine of information to help cut through all the contradictory things people

will tell you. 

Enjoy

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #672 on: April 06, 2018, 07:37:46 AM »
;D

Them - ".........no"

It's not rocket science.

True, they lack the willpower, but how to get it isn't always as straightforward.

My wife isn't overweight, but she does put on weight incredibly easily and has to make conscious choices to keep herself from putting weight on. I've never been overweight a day in my life.

The other day, I noticed something incredibly interesting. We'd both had the same breakfast (portion sizes roughly the same relative to our respective height and weight), had the same lunches packed and did the same work at school.
We got home at about 5pm and did a few chores. By 5:30, she had to stop to eat as she was "famished" and getting a headache. I felt mildly hungry, but light and energetic... So I went to gym, did 45min of weights, came home and then sat down to eat, I could've comfortably gone another hour or two without eating.

It comes down to psychological development and our childhoods couldn't have been more different.

I grew up constantly playing sports. I also binged on computer games and was quite active. I was also rather fidgety and till today, I'm always shacking my leg or twitching my foot when I sit down. Psychologically, I didn't feel comfortable eating a big meal unless I was done doing whatever I was busy with, even if I was hungry. To me, food is, for the most part, sustenance. I enjoy it, but struggle to justify driving for hours to go to a special restaurant. I also spent the majority of my teen years and 20s (before coming to Korea) surfing with my buddies. Since surfing involved driving to surf spots (many off the beaten path with no shops) we'd learn to ignore hunger until we got home and chow down like locusts to home cooked meals when we did.

She played no sports. Food was the glue that bonded her family, so she developed a more emotional connection to it than I did. She wants a Magnum ice-cream, she'll get in the car to drive to the 7-eleven to get it, whereas I can't be arsed and will just ignore the craving till it goes away.

Regarding exercise, the motif with people struggling to lose weight is the same. Exercise is torture to them, they don't enjoy it. You want to understand how I find the motivation to train 4-6 days a week? It's fun. I've passed the aesthetic gratification a while ago and while it's definitely a bonus, the feeling of getting stronger, faster and fitter, along with the high that intense physical exertion, is addictive.

TLDR
Whether overweighting, lack of training or a combination of both is your problem, the very way you think is your biggest hurdle; thankfully, it's possible to reprogram this.

I think a big thing is finding an exercise you enjoy.

I'm overweight, I've lost around 56lb in the last 3 and a half years (Not great but i've done it slowly, changing my habits so it lasts a lifetime) and right now I'm focusing on getting fitter as I creep towards my 30s (Better late than never) . I've never been a sporty exercise type of person, even when I was younger but a year ago I joined the school badminton club on a whim and i LOVE it. I have lessons twice a week and that hour to two hours of exercise has made a big difference to my fitness levels. Am going to ramp it up this year and play longer/harder.

I think there is an exercise/ sport out there for everyone. This is coming from the girl that used the same excuse note for over a year in school  :laugh: The idea of going to spend hours in the gym is still horrifying to me though.

I'm not where I want to be but I have goals and I'm slowly creeping towards them, for me the key is changing habits Back when I was bigger I could eat a big pack of biscuits in one sitting and then still have a huge shitty unhealthy dinner. Last night I had a small healthy ish dinner and one biscuit later in the evening, saving the rest for later   :shocked:  You don't have to deny yourself everything, it just takes time.

Offline Fay1478

• Explorer
« Reply #673 on: Yesterday at 08:22:04 AM »
Has anyone found a substitute for rice and noodles? I never ate it at home in England and its making me bloated in Korea. Worried because my lower belly is showing (I am not overweight by any means) and its stressing me out because I moved to Korea 3 weeks ago and I have already gained weight! I thought people lost weight here? I am keeping up on my vegetables though! Wish the fruit was cheaper! :(

Offline hangook77

• Super Waygook
« Reply #674 on: Yesterday at 01:49:27 PM »
Has anyone found a substitute for rice and noodles? I never ate it at home in England and its making me bloated in Korea. Worried because my lower belly is showing (I am not overweight by any means) and its stressing me out because I moved to Korea 3 weeks ago and I have already gained weight! I thought people lost weight here? I am keeping up on my vegetables though! Wish the fruit was cheaper! :(

Some gain and some lose.  Some bodies are composed differently.  Also, different folks handle fitness and exercise differently.  If you exercise like a local and love lots of heat, you'll do well.  (Many gyms and fitness places are either un air conditioned or if it is on, it is sparing with the windows open.  Tough to take.) 

The summers here make you lazy wanting to stay in a/c and winters, while not terribly cold, can be a bit damp sometimes making you want to stay in.  Add in pollution during some warmer winter days and the transitional cold and warm days of spring making you want to stay in and it makes for a lack of exercise.  Now I did know a couple of young foreigners who made like the old time ajossis and ajummas who didn't need anything fancy to exercise and just did stretching in the park and a skipping rope or something.  They went out in all weather extreme hot and quite cold.  Polluted days didn't bother them.  They are rice and kimchi and they stayed slim. 

As for food, there is a lot more sugar put into things here, bread, etc.  Heck even Korean cheetos and potato chips are a bit sweet compared to North America where they are more salty.  Fruit is more expensive here and you have to buy it in bulk even if some of it will go bad making it more expensive as you only eat half of it. 

Best options for exercise is to get out in late April, May, and early June and also part of September, October, and part of November.  Traditionally best time to be outdoors in Korea.  (Weather like today's.)  But the last 3 years, weather has been more humid at times, polluted, and unpredictable.  Being couped up in a tiny room with a/c or with the heat crammed in along with lots of carbs and sugary foods will put the weight on. 

Also, the nice gyms we had in the west with reasonable prices will be more expensive, have less equipment and be a/c challenged.  Add in the lack of gym etiquette and one person hogging one weight forever so it takes a long time to get your workout done.  IE  You want to do a set of reps with 6 k then 8 k 10 k 12 k 14 k etc.  One idiot takes 8k and hogs it for dear life doing every exercise forever and even when he's resting in between sets and you try to take it to a set the guy tries to argue with you and selfishly hog it.  You want to smack him in the head for it.  The gym has one set of weights even with many members and won't buy a second set no matter how often you pester them.  Companies here would rather dig in their heels, refuse, and be stubborn and lose business so they can be right in their own mind.  It drives you nuts as they don't get real capitalism.  But Koreans tolerate it and don't leave for the competition.  (But other businesses will do the same thing and try to not take each other's customers.  I think they have cartels or something.0  My point is, it makes you not feel like going to the gym unless you can go during really odd or off hours.  No air con means 4 months of no exercise sometimes. 

It's just different here.  You have to really push yourself to get into walking, hiking, biking, etc during the nice times of the year.  (Traditionally was spring and fall.)  A short 30 minute walk in the evening during gross sticky heat in summer at night can be doable too even if you have to push yourself to do it. 

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #675 on: Yesterday at 03:29:05 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a massive hippy, now there are loads of options for different grains and the like at Lotte Mart and places like that.  I'm always wanting to find more fibrous alternatives and found Kamut

and Freekah

something I'd not heard of before.  Both kinds of wheat, but if you put them with other things they're really good. 

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #676 on: Yesterday at 03:34:44 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a massive hippy, now there are loads of options for different grains and the like at Lotte Mart and places like that.  I'm always wanting to find more fibrous alternatives and found Kamut

and Freekah

something I'd not heard of before.  Both kinds of wheat, but if you put them with other things they're really good.
Kamut, quinoa, oats (not rolled oats, like whole ones), etc are all wonderful.

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/