February 20, 2019, 08:56:00 AM

Author Topic: Changing careers/Going to one’s home county or another country  (Read 1585 times)

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
Re: Changing careers/Going to one’s home county or another country
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
You better make sure you can afford a home in a good neighbourhood if you go home is all I can say.

This I agree with. Average and above average neighborhoods in the United States are good places to live / raise kids. Below average impoverished places are not. So better save up your ESL cash to get a nice house.

YES.  SO MUCH THIS.  It's part of the reason I came back to Korea.  I was in Korea for two years, went back to the States, got into the health insurance industry, started renting a house that I could afford (at least, according to my pay scale at the time), and I wasn't even living there six months when someone tried to rob me in the middle of the night. Yeah... lots of NOPE there.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »
You better make sure you can afford a home in a good neighbourhood if you go home is all I can say.

This I agree with. Average and above average neighborhoods in the United States are good places to live / raise kids. Below average impoverished places are not. So better save up your ESL cash to get a nice house.

YES.  SO MUCH THIS.  It's part of the reason I came back to Korea.  I was in Korea for two years, went back to the States, got into the health insurance industry, started renting a house that I could afford (at least, according to my pay scale at the time), and I wasn't even living there six months when someone tried to rob me in the middle of the night. Yeah... lots of NOPE there.

Like home intruders? That's scary. What happened?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »
Not even going to watch that video. (Won't get fooled again.) I'm guessing it's about a way below average school district. (Meaning not representative of the norm.)

What do you mean not the norm? You think a newly qualified teacher is placed at Eton?

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »
Hi. I just googled info about the video. Those schools are way below average. Meaning not the norm. Kind of misleading for you to imply something like that is typical.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 10:14:44 AM »

Like home intruders? That's scary. What happened?

Yeah... I woke up one night because my dog started barking like crazy. Then, I could hear someone messing with the window from my porch into my bedroom. It was literally the window right behind my bed. I wasn't worried about that window, because it was blocked by the gigantic headboard from my bed. Then, I heard them move over to my living room door. I grabbed my pets, shut them in the bathroom, went back to the living room, lodged my foot up against the door (so the person couldn't get in), and started yelling at them and telling them to leave and that I had called the cops. They started muttering nonsense... I thought maybe they were drunk, but I wasn't sure. I just know that I did call the cops while I was next to the door. The guy kept trying to get into the house for at least another ten minutes or so, and then he roll-bounced out of there. The even more scary, screwed up part? The police never came. I called back to see what was up... I thought maybe they caught the guy or something, but they said that an officer came by, didn't see anything strange, and just left. It was the least protected I've ever felt. But I'm still not the "go out and buy a gun" type (though, admittedly, I went out and bought a baseball bat after that night). Needless to say, I'd much rather be here than there.

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »
Funny that the time I decide to finally revisit this site this topic comes up.

Personally during some of my desk warming hours working as an EPIK teacher I spent time learning web development from FreeCodeCamp. Came back to the US and got a job as a web developer. Making more than twice what I earned in Korea but the taxes and higher rent are still killer. Better work environment but I still miss a lot of things about Korea and I really crave spicy food quite often.

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and since I work remote at the current moment I wouldn't mind going back to Korea to be honest. Sure the air sucks but there are a lot of other conveniences.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:42:27 AM by cjszk »

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 12:50:05 AM »
If you are on a E2 visa, you should have a back up plan. If you have an F visa you don't really need one.

Canada and the USA are extremely expensive compared to Korea. The majority of Canada has no bus access between cities. A vehicle is a must and the costs add up!!

Offline LIC

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 11:59:15 AM »
With respect to Fleetwood Mac, I ain't ever goin' back again.

Palm trees and coconuts > snow and shovels
Confutatis Maledictus Flammis Acribus Addictis

Online SanderB

• Adventurer
  • Korean ESL Teacher working at 고다 치즈타운 :) Gymnasium
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 05:35:22 AM »
Quote from: LIC
Palm trees and coconuts > snow and shovels

So true, I remember that black snow vividly. ;D
-Magister non olet- 
 but some students... :wink: