May 24, 2018, 04:07:52 AM

Author Topic: Too much sitting could damage brain  (Read 714 times)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
Too much sitting could damage brain
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »
https://www.medicaldaily.com/excessive-sitting-linked-thinning-brain-structures-may-increase-dementia-risk-423549

"Most of us are aware that spending long periods in a seated position can increase the risk of metabolic issues, heart problems, and early death. In addition to physical health risks, a new study has stated that too much sitting can negatively affect your brain, particularly the region associated with memory."

Who's got a standing desk? Really cool invention; I want to get one! Any recommendations or words of advice?

Offline hangook77

• Super Waygook
Re: Too much sitting could damage brain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:10:17 PM »
Tell that to the education office that makes us desk warm compared to 10 years ago when most didn't.  We were allowed to leave when we were done.   ;D ;D 8) 8) :P :P

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:34:07 PM »
Tell that to the education office that makes us desk warm compared to 10 years ago when most didn't.  We were allowed to leave when we were done.   ;D ;D 8) 8) :P :P

You don't understand. Their plan is to turn all native English teachers into braindead drones who return to their home countries praising the glories of kimchi and Korea's claim to the beautiful East Sea territory of Dokdo.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »
i had a friend who got asked "where are you going?" when leaving her desk, even when going to the toilet. couldn't even take a skype call as has to be in the office "at all times"

i do not miss getting treated like a child at public school

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:44:03 PM »
That's what happened.  Desk warming made me stupid...er.

Can I sue?

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »
...a new study has stated that too much sitting can negatively affect your brain, particularly the region associated with memory.
That happened to me just last night!

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 06:56:54 AM »
Back in the states when I was an office manager I made it a point to get up every 30 minutes and do a quick lap around the room.

Now that I'm here, my room has one of those standing podium computers so now I almost never get to sit. Yay? Healthier...?

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:35:15 AM »
Back in the states when I was an office manager I made it a point to get up every 30 minutes and do a quick lap around the room.

Now that I'm here, my room has one of those standing podium computers so now I almost never get to sit. Yay? Healthier...?

It figures they wouldn't give you a place to sit, given how they generally treat you like sh*t. You really drew the short straw.

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »
Just get a gym membership or get laid 3-5x a week, will keep ya healthy m8. Don't forget to eat the banchan !  :police:

Offline elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »
This explains a lot of the regulars on this site  :laugh:

Offline hangook77

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:22:21 PM »
i had a friend who got asked "where are you going?" when leaving her desk, even when going to the toilet. couldn't even take a skype call as has to be in the office "at all times"

i do not miss getting treated like a child at public school

What kind of school was this?  Sounds dumb.  I have never been treated with such disrespect all kidding aside about my earlier comments.  As long as I am at school till 4:30 and am prepared for my classes, no one gives a rat's @$$ what I do.  I have been here for over a decade and worked at multiple schools.  Never had anyone bother me like that.  I think at this point, I'd be telling them to flake off.  I will say elementary is a bit more watchful eyed than middle school.  (Middle I could leave the school and do whatever and come back more.  Elementary, some of the schools, though not all, really get sticky about that even at lunch time.  Others are still kind of chill, I guess.) 

Yeah, I have never had that level of disrespect.  As long as I am at school till 4:30, I'll walk around the school, take a call, do whatever, and the teacher who's got a control problem can piss off.  I guess I would take the Skype call in the teacher's room and make a point of speaking loudly until she asks me to leave and go in the hall.  It's what she gets for being an idiot. 

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 02:13:01 PM »
I tried to throw up a makeshift standing desk in my office a couple years back. The VP saw it and thought it looked strange. I got the hint and disassembled it the next day. :lipsrsealed:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 02:39:15 PM »
I tried to throw up a makeshift standing desk in my office a couple years back. The VP saw it and thought it looked strange. I got the hint and disassembled it the next day. :lipsrsealed:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 02:47:04 PM »
I teach my classes while standing up and walking around the room.

And I tend to get up and move around once every 10-15 minutes in between classes. Now that I have my own classroom this year, I also stretch and do low-impact calisthenics exercises here and there. Thinking about bringing in some dumbbells to use, too, but I need a good hiding place for them.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 03:03:27 PM »

[이미지]

The open Mountain Dew cans were starting to attract ants. :sad:

Now that I have my own classroom this year...

You get your own classroom just as mine is taken away.  :cry: Walking to and from the office does provide a little cardio between classes tho~
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:13:53 PM by donovan »