November 21, 2018, 01:33:38 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Funding your MA?  (Read 586 times)

Online zola

• The Legend
Re: Funding your MA?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 09:45:09 PM »
It is entirely possible to get a uni gig sans experience IF you are willing to work outside the big centers. I've said this before, but 2 years ago a position was advertised (on here as well as the other usual places) and 5 people applied. 2 of which were immediately disqualified as they weren't native speakers. This was a run of the mill 2.5/19 hours/10 week vacation position. It was however in the countryside about an hour from Gwangju.

I know of similar situations and they just end of taking bachelors with whatever experience they have. If you are willing to move to live in the boondocks, there are uni gigs out there for the inexperienced
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online alanO

• Waygookin
Re: Funding your MA?
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 11:14:24 PM »
It is entirely possible to get a uni gig sans experience IF you are willing to work outside the big centers. I've said this before, but 2 years ago a position was advertised (on here as well as the other usual places) and 5 people applied. 2 of which were immediately disqualified as they weren't native speakers. This was a run of the mill 2.5/19 hours/10 week vacation position. It was however in the countryside about an hour from Gwangju.

I know of similar situations and they just end of taking bachelors with whatever experience they have. If you are willing to move to live in the boondocks, there are uni gigs out there for the inexperienced

I honestly wouldn't mind this - with the transport and everything it would be worth it for the experience and better job quality. I'm scanning everything I can to find one but most aren't popping up. Even sent an email to a couple that asks for an MA just in case I can sneak in but nothing as of yet. Gave me a little hope though, so thank you.

I did my MA online at a well-regarded American school several years ago. I paid for it out of my savings and to be honest, with a few exceptions here and there, I generally regret it. It's not the school or even the fact that you'd be paying for it, but that you'd be studying an MA TESOL or something else in that category, which doesn't need to home country licensure and doesn't really offer that much of an advantage in the job market, whether in Korea or back home.

I don't advise anyone to get an MA TESOL unless they really enjoy the field and would consider doing a PhD. The debate over online versus distance versus a Korean school is a moot one. I know plenty of people with Korean MAs doing well, as are people with online degrees. Yes, some schools won't take online degrees and others won't take degrees from Korean schools, but these are nowhere near as common as you might think.

The bigger issue is why do it in the first place. If you're doing this to get away from bad hagwon contracts, you're going to find, 2-3 years and $10,000-20,000 later, that things aren't that much better with an MA. The job market is competitive and the salaries really aren't that good for university instructors. Okay, so maybe you don't care about the money and you like what you do? So did I, but eventually I got tired of feeling like my MA didn't matter while teaching in Korea. I also got sick of the lack of raises and lack of job security.

If you want to move up the ladder, try to find a way to get home country licensure, or consider another field, whether it's in Korea or in your home country. If you do come out with an MA in Applied Linguistics or TESOL or something of that sort in 2021 or 2022, you're going to compete very hard with others like you to get a job that's marginally better. By then, you'll be a few years older and wanting greater security. I think it's unlikely that you'll get it.

Ask around from people that teach at universities, look at job ads, and consider whether your graduate degree would be paying off ten years after the fact. I think that's unlikely. The MA TESOL has a limited market back home as well, not significantly better than a TESOL certificate. Your employment options back home would be better if you completed a six-month certificate program on becoming a financial advisor or real estate agent. You'd probably enjot it more, too.

Edited to add my previous posts on this topic:

2016 (again)

Thank you for all this. Useful information and made me double think it. Although I want to be here for a while maybe it isn't worth splurging so much on an MA. I was thinking about getting one in English as it's a little more flexible and unlike some, I actually like both teaching and the English language. Maybe I should sit down and think about it though - while I want to be here long-term, I don't also want to waste so much on an (almost) useless degree.

What kind of research/data analysis is done for a MATESOL thesis anyway? Struggling to see why someone would do this instead of a BEd or PGCE, seeing as how (correct me if I'm wrong) it's all theoretical (no in-class teaching and subsequent assessment).

I could do a PGCEi which is the online version but I doubt it would translate well to Korean standards so didn't think it useful.