January 20, 2019, 11:39:37 AM

Author Topic: 5 Day Camp 3hrs a Day, No budget. Any ideas for ms boys?  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Joshua1211

• Veteran
5 Day Camp 3hrs a Day, No budget. Any ideas for ms boys?
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:37:32 PM »
I don't really know any details about my camp (eg: How many students and how long exactly) If my summer camp is anything like my previous camps I'll assume I'll have about 2-5 students for 3 hours a day. The camp is pretty chill. I was planning on doing lessons of some sort for the first two hours then board games for the last hour. I have absolutely no budget, but I don't mind buying a few things for like a last day special activity.

The problem is, I've already had some of these students last year so I doubt I can reuse the same lessons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :D

Offline andyrich007

• Adventurer
Re: 5 Day Camp 3hrs a Day, No budget. Any ideas for ms boys?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 12:51:23 PM »
I too am stuck with 3hr/5days a week summer camp schedule for 2 weeks. First week is 1st and 2nd grade (MS) and 2nd week is 3rd grade.

I suggest if you haven't done a ~making a movie camp. I made it last winter camp and it was a hit. I gave them options of what type of movie they can make (movie length was 3 to 5 minutes). They had 3 days to prep/film and one day to edit their videos. Last day we watched the videos together and voted for the best one. 

They can create a how to video (how to make ramyeon), short skit, korean lesson in english (teaching you grammar or an idiom/phrase), lip-syncing video, or a short animation video.

My students did incredibly well and worked pretty well with the girls (all girls school sends me their MS students every camp).  I found a lot of great ppts and activities here so just look up film camp or movie camp it should come up.

Good luck! This year I am doing an Olympics camp! :)

Edit: didn't realize you might only a few students in your camp. We usually get 20 to 30 students in my camps for each week. It could still work but you might need more supplemental activities.

perhaps you can try to do a camp on making your own board game/game if they enjoy playing games and such. I saw a camp on here that had their students do that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:55:49 PM by andyrich007 »

Offline castowers

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »
I'll be doing these games:

Flip Cup (put pieces of paper in each cup - sentences or tongue twisters - have students read before flipping)
Beer Pong - with juice or soda or water
Kings Cup
(if you can buy some cups, these are great)

If you're outside, you could do an egg race or egg toss (my CTs said no cause it's too messy but maybe you'll have better luck)

Scavenger Hunt - let the kids use their phones and have them take pictures of random objects around the school. Give them a list of things to find, first team back to the classroom with pictures of all (or most) of the objects, win.

Projects:
Have the kids make a poster/presentation on how to do something. You could do a short demonstration on how to make a PB&J and they could copy the steps.
Write a story
Make a diorama - takes more materials but I used A4 paper boxes from my schools. If you can buy construction paper, it'll be great. I also had the kids go pick flowers, grass etc from outside. For my elementary kids, I gave them an animal and they decorated their habitat. MS wrote a story then decorated their setting - animal habitats work great too since writing a story in English can be very hard if they're not high level. Requires glue or tape and scissors.
Paper Mache Bowls - Only requires flour, water, newspaper (ask your school) balloons and markers/color paper for decoration.

If your CTs will allow you to show a movie or Pixar Short films, there's a ton of worksheets online to go with Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Lion King etc.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:59:53 PM »
This thread will be helpful for me as well...  ;D

I did a film making camp last winter and my students had fun with it! I had stage makeup so one group did a zombie short flick while another did an action short. The others did "a slice of life" type shorts. So I second doing a film camp if you're able to; with a small group it can make things easier. I split up my students so there were about 6 per group.

This time I'll have a maximum of 16 students total, all at once, if everyone signs up (my main middle school is super small), for 5 hours at a time. These are some games I'm thinking of getting/doing to intersperse lessons and projects:

~Jenga (there are super cheap versions for less than 10,000W/$10, so if you spring for even just one it's totally reasonable :)
~Twister (I might just make a homemade version, since I'll need more than one)
~Bobbing for Apples (or something cheap/edible/waterproof)
~Musical Chairs (have done this already with my grade 3s and they got pretty competitive about it hahaha)
~Ninja (you can google instructions online. I learned it from theatre but not sure where it originated from)
~UNO (decks are pretty cheap, though I posted a Nintendo version I put together cause most of my kids are into video games)
~Apples to Apples (it'll be a bit time consuming, but you can make your own version so that way you can adjust the cards to the level of your students)

I'm also thinking of Heads up 7 up and Freeze Tag but if you have so few students then those might not be viable options for you. However, if you somehow end up having a bigger attendance than expected...  :smiley:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:18:01 PM »
I'm also thinking of teaching my kids the Cha Cha Slide. I think I know my kids well enough to feel they may be receptive enough to it; I know the girls will be interested, and the boys dance enough during PE class as it is, hahah.

They don't have school dances here, so my students seem to find that aspect of culture pretty interesting.

Offline Joshua1211

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
Great! Thanks for the ideals everyone. I really appreciate it :D

Offline castowers

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 03:42:38 PM »
More materials:

For this past winter camp my CT wanted the kids to make their own country with posterboard, we had a "Winter Olympics" and made snowglobes. Snowglobes are probably out if you don't have a budget but I'll attach it if anyone else finds it useful.

This summer camp I'm going to make ice cream with my kids. There's a ton of tutorials online, attached is a PPT that I just found online with instructions.

Musical chairs is a great one. I plan on doing a variation called "Fruit Bowl", you assign the students a fruit i.e. grapes, apple, banana, orange etc. You call out "grapes" and the students who are grapes have to switch seats. Repeat with other fruits. When you call out "Fruit Bowl" all students must switch seats. Whoever is left standing after each round must introduce themselves (or create a dialogue, it's up to you). With younger kids, I'd draw all the fruit and a fruit bowl on the board. This is a great ice breaker.
Alternatively, you can push some desks together and have them in groups of 5-6 standing around the desks.  If there's 5 students, put 4 pieces of candy around the perimeter. Have the kids walk around the desks like musical chairs. Whoever doesn't grab a piece of candy is out. Make sure you have extra candy for the students who go out first. Or play multiple rounds. This can get crazy but I think they will enjoy it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 11:08:14 AM »
If I can find proper wooden blocks this weekend, I'm going to make homemade Zombie Dice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbr_5ku3ap8

Skittles or something similar would be great for the brain tokens  ;D

Rules: http://www.sjgames.com/dice/zombiedice/img/ZDRules_English.pdf

If I can't find wooden blocks I'm just going to make dice out of paper. I think my students would really like this game. And as it's dependent on luck and not skill, could work for all the students regardless of English level as long as you're able to show them how to play  :azn:

Offline debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »
This is old...but I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm interested in playing Kings cup with my students...but I can't see how one would determine the "loser" (or winner however you look at it I guess)

Obviously in the real game the person drinks the dirty drink in the middle....but in the student friendly version how do you close the game?

This is a great idea and PPT by the way THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU'RE SAVING MY LIFE.