July 20, 2018, 05:10:17 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: If you only intend to teach for 6 months would it be immoral to sign 1 yr?  (Read 953 times)

Offline Sel

• Explorer
One the one hand I don't know if I'll be able to make it through 1 year. I might look for another line of work midway. On the other hand maybe I could change my mind midway and wait until I finish my contract until I do something else.

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
Just read the contract, 30 days notice is usually normal. If you feel like you want to leave give 30 days notice. However knowing some hagwons they will fire you the next day or week and try to make you sign a form blaming you for something.

Offline warren_king

• Veteran
I might look for another line of work midway.

unless you are a korean-american who is going to come here on an F-visa, this more than likely won't be possible.

in south korea you need someone to sponsor your visa, and your visa is tied to the sponsor. in order to change jobs, your employer (the visa sponsor) would have to give you what's called a Letter of Release, effectively releasing you from ties to them, and allowing you to seek a new visa sponsor/employment.

if you resign half-way through a contract, they probably won't give you a letter of release.

if you work public school, you definitely won't get one as it's policy to not issue letters of release for people leaving early.

Offline Sel

• Explorer
Just read the contract, 30 days notice is usually normal. If you feel like you want to leave give 30 days notice. However knowing some hagwons they will fire you the next day or week and try to make you sign a form blaming you for something.

I thought if you do that they might withdraw last month's salary but I guess not?

By the way I am a Korean American.

Offline warren_king

• Veteran

then you'll be on an F-visa, which allows you to basically change jobs whenever you want.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook

I thought if you do that they might withdraw last month's salary but I guess not?

They won't take back money they already gave you, you already worked for that. But I've heard horror stories about people not getting paid after quitting. At best, they won't withhold your paycheck, but you definitely don't get severance pay if you don't complete your contract. Anyway 1 year is not a long time, so I personally would reccommend sticking it out.