April 21, 2018, 01:37:32 PM

Author Topic: notarising degree in the UK  (Read 530 times)

Offline mrpianoman

• Explorer
notarising degree in the UK
« on: May 21, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
I was just wondering, did your solicitor who notarised your degree in the UK check out that you actually studied at the university? Or did he just look at the degree cert and sign it. Mine just looked at my cert and signed it.

Offline wartortle99

• Veteran
Re: notarising degree in the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:22:32 AM »
They are certifying that the copy of a document is genuine not that the original is genuine itself.

If you actually got it notarised instead of certified thats a different story

Offline mrpianoman

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:15:17 AM »
I got a copy of the original certified then. He still only looked at the original and made a photocopy of it to sign. He never really checked out that I studied at the uni (which I did).
What I'm saying is someone could easily just take a degree they bought online and get it certified. Another solicitor wanted to verify it properly by emailing the uni but he was charging 100 so I went to this other solicitor who only charged 30.

YoungMin

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:45:46 AM »
I got a copy of the original certified then. He still only looked at the original and made a photocopy of it to sign. He never really checked out that I studied at the uni (which I did).
What I'm saying is someone could easily just take a degree they bought online and get it certified. Another solicitor wanted to verify it properly by emailing the uni but he was charging 100 so I went to this other solicitor who only charged 30.

Sounds like said solicitor doesnae gi a **** and just wants a nice and easy 30. The whole notary public thing is a joke any way. All official documents should be official. Pisses me off having to get things like criminal records apostiled. It should come with one in the first place.

The notary public who I used twice wouldn't accept a copy of my driving license even after he'd met me twice to do my degree. Some take their job more seriously than others.

Offline Kliuchevskoi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 10:15:41 PM »

They are certifying that the copy of a document is genuine not that the original is genuine itself.

If you actually got it notarised instead of certified thats a different story

Which is why they used to insist on unopened transcripts from your University.

Which I much prefer to the whole apostille nonsense.
Creating shared values