December 12, 2018, 11:33:08 AM

Author Topic: Are my expectations too high? Work hours, flights, etc.  (Read 6314 times)

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Are my expectations too high? Work hours, flights, etc.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 08:40:50 AM »
I'm not trolling I am just telling you what I have seen here in the UK and what I haven't. There may well be a few proper IS in korea, I don't know, but I haven't seen any advertise here in the UK for teachers. I've seen some for japan advertised in the past and I am a music teacher too. A lot of salaries say 2.1m won per month or a little higher than that from the ads I've seen. I have a possibility of 3.1m without housing or 2.4-2.6m with.

Considering you are not even in country yet I have no idea how you feel you could advise here

Offline oli125

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 08:44:05 AM »
Hi...for what it's worth let me give you my advice/ opinion....don't go for a couple position. Back in 2008 me and my g/friend of 4 years took a couple position because we had lived together before Korea, and naively thought that a couple position at a hagwon was the only way to live together in Korea. It's not and it was a disaster. It a nutshell-  it killed our relationship. Now, I know every couple is different and you will hopefully be fine, but for me and my ex we found that living and working together was just far too much contact. On top of that we worked an absolute KILLER 9am- 6pm job (kindy+ elementary) with an absolute slave driver boss. We were both dead on our feet  and stressed out almost every night, which added even more pressure. We lasted 8 months and she decided to leave Korea...and the rest is history as they say!
What I would suggest is separate jobs and one of you or even both ask for housing allowance instead of school housing. That way you could find your own place- which will probably be a lot nicer than what a school would offer and you can avoid any stresses of working together. There are also a lot of genuine English speaking realtors who can help you find your own place.  Or if one of you takes housing and the other allowance you can make a little extra cash.
In terms of jobs have you looked at koreabridge.net? It mostly specializes in Busan (which is where I live) but I'd take Busan over Seoul any day.
Anyways, goodluck whatever you do:)

Offline UKteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
I'm not giving advice. I'm just saying are the IS in korea proper ones or not. If the're proper ones, the salary and package will be good, most probably a lot higher than any hagwon esl job pays. If they're not proper IS, then the salary will be similar to esl pay. But I have no idea how much they pay there. I'm just on here cos I'm waiting for a job offer teaching adults full time.

Offline Seoul cruiser

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
Hi...for what it's worth let me give you my advice/ opinion....don't go for a couple position. Back in 2008 me and my g/friend of 4 years took a couple position because we had lived together before Korea, and naively thought that a couple position at a hagwon was the only way to live together in Korea. It's not and it was a disaster. It a nutshell-  it killed our relationship. Now, I know every couple is different and you will hopefully be fine, but for me and my ex we found that living and working together was just far too much contact. On top of that we worked an absolute KILLER 9am- 6pm job (kindy+ elementary) with an absolute slave driver boss. We were both dead on our feet  and stressed out almost every night, which added even more pressure. We lasted 8 months and she decided to leave Korea...and the rest is history as they say!
What I would suggest is separate jobs and one of you or even both ask for housing allowance instead of school housing. That way you could find your own place- which will probably be a lot nicer than what a school would offer and you can avoid any stresses of working together. There are also a lot of genuine English speaking realtors who can help you find your own place.  Or if one of you takes housing and the other allowance you can make a little extra cash.
In terms of jobs have you looked at koreabridge.net? It mostly specializes in Busan (which is where I live) but I'd take Busan over Seoul any day.
Anyways, goodluck whatever you do:)

Pretty solid, just be aware that if you are in the sticks you probably won't find an English speaking realtor. So it could potentially cause problems getting housing. Also, if doing your own housing, be prepared for a large deposit. Most places require a min of 5 million won and up.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:18 AM »
I'm not giving advice. I'm just saying are the IS in korea proper ones or not. If the're proper ones, the salary and package will be good, most probably a lot higher than any hagwon esl job pays. If they're not proper IS, then the salary will be similar to esl pay. But I have no idea how much they pay there. I'm just on here cos I'm waiting for a job offer teaching adults full time.

This is not what this thread is about. The IS schools I have seen have high standards and are quite legit. Take your ignorance elsewhere since it is not helping this person at all.

Offline UKteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »
I wouldn't pay a deposit on housing if I were the OP. Get a job where it's all paid for you. You could lose your deposit if anything went wrong.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
I wouldn't pay a deposit on housing if I were the OP. Get a job where it's all paid for you. You could lose your deposit if anything went wrong.

Lol guys seriously, just ignore him.  He either legitimately knows nothing, or knows exactly what things are like here and is deliberately making ignorant and misinforming comments.  I think it's pretty obvious from all of his other posts that it's the latter.  Don't waste your post count.

Offline rebish

• Waygookin
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »
Lots of good thoughts again, thanks. Maybe we will look into public schools again, how much longer will they really be hiring? We are looking for an August start.

True that its definitely not ideal to be in the same school in a couples position, its something we've considered. We do work together a few days a week now and enjoy the time together, but if it was full time I see how it could be more stressful. We have applied to one or two hagwon chains that try to place couples in different schools that are close enough to live together, which would be ideal, but we'll see if any of them come through.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 09:01:52 AM »
Lots of good thoughts again, thanks. Maybe we will look into public schools again, how much longer will they really be hiring? We are looking for an August start.

True that its definitely not ideal to be in the same school in a couples position, its something we've considered. We do work together a few days a week now and enjoy the time together, but if it was full time I see how it could be more stressful. We have applied to one or two hagwon chains that try to place couples in different schools that are close enough to live together, which would be ideal, but we'll see if any of them come through.

Like others have mentioned, it's not unreasonable to simply take a housing allowance if you go for public schools and simply find a place for the both of you to live. You may have to travel a little bit extra but you won't know that until you see if you can get a position within the same city for the both of you.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 09:03:16 AM »
I second getting separate jobs in the same area and taking a housing allowance.  It's a bit more of a leap if you're new to Korea, but there are lots of other expats here and in FB groups who can help you settle in.  Take everything a recruiter tells you with a grain of salt--or a salt lick.  They're primarily looking out for their paycheck and just want to you accept something that gets them a good cut.

Offline UKteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »
I may have to go to japan if my diploma isn't allowed for  E2 visa and in Japan, you have to pay your own rent, but it's slightly higher pay there I think at 250000yen per month teaching English. I hope to make it to Korea though as I want the free housing and upfront flight

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 09:09:39 AM »
I may have to go to japan if my diploma isn't allowed for  E2 visa and in Japan, you have to pay your own rent, but it's slightly higher pay there I think at 250000yen per month teaching English. I hope to make it to Korea though as I want the free housing and upfront flight

Cool story bro :afro:

Offline UKteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 09:19:37 AM »
:) :) :) someone on here got an E2 visa with a south African HCE commerce qualification cos his uni sent him a letter sayin it's equivalent to a degree. Mine also says it's a degree equivalent. so fingers crossed. The oP has gone quiet.

Offline rebish

• Waygookin
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29:27 AM »
Hey, the op (me) just commented a few posts up :wink: But I also have an interview in a few and have been getting ready. Appreciate all of the advice!

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
I'm not trolling I am just telling you what I have seen here in the UK and what I haven't. There may well be a few proper IS in korea, I don't know, but I haven't seen any advertise here in the UK for teachers. I've seen some for japan advertised in the past and I am a music teacher too. A lot of salaries say 2.1m won per month or a little higher than that from the ads I've seen. I have a possibility of 3.1m without housing or 2.4-2.6m with.
For what it's worth, http://www.nlcsjeju.co.kr had a job posting on tes.co.uk about two months ago.

Maybe it's because I've been here 7 years, but if I was a music teacher I'd be looking to other countries myself. http://www.seekteachers.com/jobs.asp?subject_id=347

Offline UKteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »
There's a music post on that seek teachers you posted and it's just 3.200,000won. That's the same as you can get Tefling maybe a but higher but not much. It's low for international school salaries. It works out at 1800 approx. a month.

Offline Seoul cruiser

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 09:49:21 AM »

Yea, working together in Korea could be pretty hectic. For future consideration, think about the separate employers a bit more. If things go sour and you both are canned, or walk from the same employer/job (for various reasons), things could get a bit sticky financially. The old saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind. Especially being so far from home coupled with the language barrier.  It could work out great as well, just something to think about.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:51:21 AM by Seoul cruiser »

Offline rebish

• Waygookin
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 10:56:47 AM »
seekteachers.com looks great and separate jobs could be a good option as well! All the options get so overwhelming, don't they?

So how late do public schools usually hire? I know there will be a trickle up until August, but is the main hiring season for August almost done?

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 11:04:09 AM »
seekteachers.com looks great and separate jobs could be a good option as well! All the options get so overwhelming, don't they?

So how late do public schools usually hire? I know there will be a trickle up until August, but is the main hiring season for August almost done?

My main advice would be, don't jump into the first position/ look around, there are some cracking jobs out there that pop up.  Also, have your documents ready to go, as your more likely to grab a good job who needs someone ASAP. The nature of the market out here is that people leave/go home on short notice, so even good employers get left in the lurch.

Especially if you have the qualifications you have. It isn't a straight shoot between public and hagwon. For example, i work at a public school, which is sponsored by a local company. So i receive 3.2 mil a month for a public school workload. I'm not even a qualified teacher. I was just ready to go when the old teacher had family issues and had to go home. I also had no worries getting housing allowance so i could live with my fiancee.

Stick top your guns, keep looking, and you will find what you want :)

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »

JLP hires for April, August and November start dates, I'm pretty sure you could still apply for August now through QTS Korea if you're British or Canadian Connections if you're not  :smiley: