December 13, 2018, 11:00:47 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Doing Privates in Korea  (Read 14481 times)

Offline zenoonez

• Newgookin
Re: Doing Privates in Korea
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »
i just want to clarify something about the legality - even if your boss allows it/reports it to immigration, or even if you are on an F-visa, teaching privates is still illegal unless you have a private tutoring license.

You need that private tutoring license to make it legal. This is VERY rarely - if not ever - granted to E-2 visa holders. Usually it's only granted to F-visa holders, hence the conflation of "F-visa = legal private tutoring" that people often make.

The private tutoring license is pretty easy to get if you have an F-visa, but you still need that license.

To clarify on top of this, a private tutoring license is only required if teaching kids. One needs a background check and to register the kids names and addresses in this situation. In my case, I teach ONLY adults. According to my local MOE, they have no requirements nor care about registering adult students, thus no private tutoring license is needed in my case.

As far as I know this is exactly right except for one detail.  The students addresses do not have to be registered with the MoE but the address where you will be teaching them does.  I.e. if they are coming to your apartment to study than all the MoE needs is your address.  This is an important detail for those of us who run study rooms.

I would certainly be interested in a rundown of the specifics of this if anyone has more information. As an E-2 holder it is certainly a long shot to get a tutoring license from what I understand. Are there any ways to make this more likely? Do you have to have a legal business entity set up to do tutoring outside of your main job? What is the legal difference between tutoring in your apartment, in the student's apartment, in a rented room in a hakwon or study cafe, and having a study room?

Offline UKteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »
Look just tell prospective private students that you have an F visa (even if you don;t really) then they won't report you as they will think you;re legal.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
Look just tell prospective private students that you have an F visa (even if you don;t really) then they won't report you as they will think you;re legal.

r/whatcouldgowrong
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »

Did..did you just give yourself advice? You're the OP right?

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 01:07:17 PM »
Don't want to derail too much but how does private tutoring actually work?

Do you just show up and watch them while they complete exercises in a textbook?  Do you usually prepare material/presentations to explain a language point?

Always been curious about it.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »

Did..did you just give yourself advice? You're the OP right?

The awkward moment when you start responding to yourself. The awkward moment when you out yourself on having a sock account. The awkward moment when you are in so deep that you forget which one is which

Offline hiphopopotamus

• Super Waygook
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »
Don't want to derail too much but how does private tutoring actually work?

Do you just show up and watch them while they complete exercises in a textbook?  Do you usually prepare material/presentations to explain a language point?

Always been curious about it.

It all depends on what the client wants. I've never taught kids like this, but for adults, I prepare a sheet with 10 questions and a theme (example: Vacations) and we chat for an hour or two about it. First lesson, just talk to the client and ask them what they like. My clients also like using English patterns, so we learn a new pattern for 10 minutes first and then try to use that pattern in the ensuing conversation as necessary.

For kids, I imagine it's up to what the parents want (speaking practice, test prep, catching up on grammar, etc.).

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »

Speaking from possible experience, it's great- Good pay, tax free cash, sexcursions like golfing or skiing, meals, free booze, random gifts, job offers, and I've known people who have even been gifted rather expensive things from luxury goods to a really cheap price on their car or other stuff like that. Heck, they might even offer to fly you with the family on some vacation for their kids' English practice (which could be good or bad depending on your view)

Damn!! Must be getting that sweet Apgujeong money.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »
I've been offered jobs walking through Emart. Well.... my wife has been offered job offers directed at me. She's Korean so I've had a few Korean moms stop her and I in the kimchi aisle and ask her if I'd be willing to do private lessons.

I turn them down because I'm with EPIK and don't want to ruin a good thing if I get caught. There was actually a "spy" of sorts in our city. He (Korean) was going around and trying to get foreign teachers at public schools to do privates in order to turn them in.

Offline FORHAIRkorea

• Veteran
  • Staying Positive
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »

I turn them down because I'm with EPIK and don't want to ruin a good thing if I get caught. There was actually a "spy" of sorts in our city. He (Korean) was going around and trying to get foreign teachers at public schools to do privates in order to turn them in.

What a shady mofo with too much time on his hands..!

I used to teach privates but having trouble fitting time for it now especially after working overtime ugh OTL
DISCLAIMER: I work at a Hair Transplant clinic in Gangnam, Seoul. I am not a doctor, but can provide information by request/PM.

I also love good food!

Offline hulme187

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 02:07:45 PM »
I've been offered jobs walking through Emart. Well.... my wife has been offered job offers directed at me. She's Korean so I've had a few Korean moms stop her and I in the kimchi aisle and ask her if I'd be willing to do private lessons.

If you are married to a Korean surely you are on the F visa and the bonus of that is, you can do privates legally. Perfect for some extra money.

Offline Menlyn

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »

If you are married to a Korean surely you are on the F visa and the bonus of that is, you can do privates legally. Perfect for some extra money.

Private work is still against the EPIK contract. This rule also applies to Korean teachers. While he won't be deported or face any issues from immigration, it's grounds for dismissal.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »
it's completely mental. i can't wait to finish my smoe contract. i sit at my desk for over 4 hours a day, with nothing to do. why am i even here? dfsrtjhgwerjhfg

off to apply for my f6 tomorrow...!

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2016, 03:22:12 PM »

To add to what Menlyn said, the thing is, you may not realize it but most contracts stipulate that you are not allowed to take additional jobs (e.g., teaching privates), regardless of your visa status, despite that immigration-wise, it's not illegal for F-visa holders to do additional jobs -- but if your contract says you can't (again, regardless of your visa status), then technically you're not supposed to (or else risk getting in trouble with your main job or possibly even get fired). I have an F visa and every contract I've ever had in Korea all contained such stipulation (me not being allowed to take on any additional work outside of my main job). It didn't matter to any of my jobs I've held in Korea that my visa status is an F visa; the contract stipulation of not being allowed to take on any extra side jobs still applies to me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:28:03 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 04:09:57 PM »

To add to what Menlyn said, the thing is, you may not realize it but most contracts stipulate that you are not allowed to take additional jobs (e.g., teaching privates), regardless of your visa status, despite that immigration-wise, it's not illegal for F-visa holders to do additional jobs -- but if your contract says you can't (again, regardless of your visa status), then technically you're not supposed to (or else risk getting in trouble with your main job or possibly even get fired). I have an F visa and every contract I've ever had in Korea all contained such stipulation (me not being allowed to take on any additional work outside of my main job). It didn't matter to any of my jobs I've held in Korea that my visa status is an F visa; the contract stipulation of not being allowed to take on any extra side jobs still applies to me.

This is surprising. Any idea why this is the case?

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »

I don't really know, but if I had to take a guess, I suppose because all of my contracts for all the jobs I've ever held in Korea (jobs I've held not at the same time, obviously) were/are written for a person who would either need visa sponsorship (by the employer) or already have his/her own visa (i.e. an F visa), so the contract is laid out the same, regardless of the person's visa status, depending on the potential employee they can find and hire. And I suppose they don't want to bother modifying/tailoring the contract to have different stipulations/exceptions for an F-visa holder, I guess -- so basically I'm still subject to the same contract and contract stipulations as someone who would need his/her employer to sponsor his/her visa, regardless of the fact that I have my own visa and don't need visa sponsorship from my employer.

But yeah, to be honest, it always kind of bothers me whenever I hear people go around saying that F-visa holders can take on extra jobs no problem, because it is kind of a misconception -- at least in my personal experience -- in the sense that all the job contracts I've ever had in Korea contained the stipulation that I can't take on any extra side jobs, or else risk getting in trouble with my job (which I assume includes the possibility of getting fired), so I haven't felt I've ever gotten to experience/reap the benefits of this so-called F-visa perk of getting to take on all these extra side jobs or anything, despite my F-visa status. I have yet to encounter a job contract in Korea that doesn't contain this stipulation -- maybe they exist, but again, I have yet to encounter one.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:32:19 AM by Mezoti97 »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »

My guess would be that it's easier to just make the same stipulation apply to everyone rather than adding an addendum for the probably small number of folks who have something different than an E-2 visa. At least in regards to public school contracts and the like

Just my speculation

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
  • Tony Choi from EntrepreneurKorea.com
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2016, 05:03:51 PM »
I'll add what I know about this topic.

Each district has different guidelines as to how much a legal tutor can charge and who exactly can legally tutor. I'm almost certain an E2 visa will not be able to register as a legal tutor. Also, each contract for each school/hagwon is different, so you may be able to work another job, but you will have to ask for permission. I remember when I was on an E2 years back and my school asked me to tutor someone. I honestly didn't want to and told them I wasn't allowed, but they said that it was okay since the school was letting me.

The scary thing is that there are people going around trying to trick foreigners into tutoring or checking up on hagwons to see if they are breaking laws. Also, these people actually get a small money reward if they are successful. Also, there are people who get money rewards for turning in people breaking traffic laws. I don't know if anyone has ever noticed, but you can sometimes see a man with an expensive camera just talking photos of traffic on Gangnam Daero or other large streets. 

In order for someone to get caught, there would need to be some kind of evidence. So, if you plan on tutoring, just be smart about it. There are PLENTY of Koreans and Non-Koreans illegally tutoring, whether that is charging more than they are allowed to or not reporting money being made. Most Koreans know that most tutors don't report 100% of their earnings. However, I find that the people that are getting caught were either reported by an angry past student or a rival hagwon that was following more rules than they were.

The funny thing is my hagwon has only been inspected once in the last 3+ years whereas I know of some hagwon owners who get inspected 5-6 times a year. It really depends on whether there is someone around you that feels it's worth their time, effort and reputation to report you.
Business Consultant and Coach at www.entrepreneurkorea.com and www.hagwonstart.com

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
Thanks to the people posting info!

Some lady I know did privates her whole time in Korea and never got busted, but did get accused of teaching them to a friend and was banned from said friend's apartment building. Said friend was not, in fact, receiving private lessons.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 06:06:20 PM »
Thanks to the people posting info!

Some lady I know did privates her whole time in Korea and never got busted, but did get accused of teaching them to a friend and was banned from said friend's apartment building. Said friend was not, in fact, receiving private lessons.

Does the lady look obviously foreign? I wonder if some tenant was xenophobic and schemed to get rid of the foreigner. CONSPIRACY!!  :shocked: