December 10, 2018, 01:16:41 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Rejected from EPIK, reapply in the future?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline kjt

• Waygookin
Rejected from EPIK, reapply in the future?
« on: May 13, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
Is it worth trying again in the future?  I was rejected after having the interview, so if its the same program director & coordinators in the future, which it likely will be, will they even give me a 2nd chance?

Offline dos_azn

• Newgookin
Re: Rejected from EPIK, reapply in the future?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »
Not sure if I understand, do you think if you apply again, you'll get the same EPIK interviewer?  EPIK has a lot of coordinators, so if you apply again its doubtful you'll get the same coordinator as your interviewer.

Offline kjt

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 06:38:27 AM »
I am not sure if they even allow rejected applicants to reapply in the future is why I'm asking, and if anyones ever successfully been accepted the second time around.

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:51:33 AM »
You can reapply, you just have to wait until the next intake, i believe. For example, if you applied to start in Feb, you can't reapply until they start taking applications for August.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »
I knew someone at orientation who had been previously rejected two times, so I guess third time's the charm for her.

So there's hope. I've always understood that getting rejected doesn't usually mean you get blacklisted. Most of the time it boils down to timing. Other times you just need to rephrase yourself during the interview, knowing what kind of answers they're looking for and blah blah blah.

Offline kimchicub

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »
Sure, there's a chance you'll get in.  I was rejected once, then got in the second time I applied.

Offline akplmn

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
EPIK is also not the only way to land a public school job.  More and more provincial offices are now hiring NETs directly, instead of using EPIK.  Gyeongsangnam-do and Jeollanam-do, for example.  They're also more likely to have placements starting year-round, so you don't have to wait for the next major intake, and they pay a little more than EPIK does, as well.

Offline okapifire

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 02:08:51 PM »
EPIK is also not the only way to land a public school job.  More and more provincial offices are now hiring NETs directly, instead of using EPIK.  Gyeongsangnam-do and Jeollanam-do, for example.  They're also more likely to have placements starting year-round, so you don't have to wait for the next major intake, and they pay a little more than EPIK does, as well.

Chungcheong-do and Gangwon-do hire directly too. Yeah if you got rejected, it's easier and faster to go through a recruiter. Like a week after I was waited-listed by EPIK I got a job directly through a recruiter working for the province. I went through Korean Horizons and I know a lot of people who were hired by that company. Alistair was really helpful with info on documents.
https://www.facebook.com/alistair.wery?fref=ts

Offline kjt

• Waygookin
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 04:17:33 AM »
Thank you everyone for your responses.  I guess my interview answers weren't what they were looking for.  I wrote down all their questions and my responses and will evaluate where it could have went better.

Chungcheong-do and Gangwon-do hire directly too. Yeah if you got rejected, it's easier and faster to go through a recruiter. Like a week after I was waited-listed by EPIK I got a job directly through a recruiter working for the province. I went through Korean Horizons and I know a lot of people who were hired by that company. Alistair was really helpful with info on documents.
https://www.facebook.com/alistair.wery?fref=ts

I was gonna use GEPIK or Gone2Korea, I also threw up an app for TaLK despite it being part time / less money.  Should I try Korean Horizons first?  I guess I could do them all at once, but I'll need more copies of my qualification documents.

Offline chrislis90

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 07:56:10 AM »
I applied through Korean Horizons and they helped me every step of the way. Alistair has close connections to the Chungnam region (where I am currently placed) and he prepped me thoroughly for the interview, even detailing the tendencies of the interviewer and tailoring my answers to what she likes to hear. I'd definitely suggest it as an option but it also depends upon where you would like to work.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »
If you don't care about location, you can try JLP (Jeollanamdo Language Program), in the southern province of Korea. I used Canadian Connections and was happy with them.

I also tried Korean Horizons and would recommend Alistair as well; CC just got me a job quicker as they have a small late intake period for November (orientation in late October) and I decided not to wait to apply for the spring intake of EPIK.

With CC (unless things have changed), if you pass their interview then you've got a job and will find out your placement prior to going to Korea.

Offline kjt

• Waygookin
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 12:38:24 AM »
I'd definitely suggest it as an option but it also depends upon where you would like to work.
If you don't care about location

Yeah location doesn't matter to me.  I will likely just do this for a year or two before trying to go to japan.

I filled out an application to Korean Horizons and checked out their requirements.  Seems a little weird that they ask for a picture of your references but I guess they just want to make sure they aren't imaginary people.  Do they eventually ask for recommendation letters from your references?  One of mine is a college professor and he'll be leaving for vacation soon once the semester ends.

Offline chrislis90

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 07:37:42 AM »
I'd definitely suggest it as an option but it also depends upon where you would like to work.

Yeah location doesn't matter to me.  I will likely just do this for a year or two before trying to go to japan.

I filled out an application to Korean Horizons and checked out their requirements.  Seems a little weird that they ask for a picture of your references but I guess they just want to make sure they aren't imaginary people.  Do they eventually ask for recommendation letters from your references?  One of mine is a college professor and he'll be leaving for vacation soon once the semester ends.

With Korean Horizons, I emailed pretty much all of my documents to apply and then sent all of the paperwork via post when I got the job. It's probably best if you ask for one before he goes on vacation.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 09:49:46 AM »

Weird. Must be a new thing cause I never sent pics of my references. But yes, for public schools you need 2 letters of recommendation and they must be on official letterhead and follow a basic format.

Offline kjt

• Waygookin
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 01:08:20 AM »

Weird. Must be a new thing cause I never sent pics of my references.

Nah I just misunderstood, Alistair just wanted scan / picture of my references, not their actual photo lol.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:02:51 AM by kjt »