July 19, 2018, 12:18:16 AM

Author Topic: Do you avoid eating lunch with your co-workers.  (Read 9197 times)

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Do you avoid eating lunch with your co-workers.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »
I just had lunch in my school canteen, with my co-teachers.

It was delicious.  Some rice, some delicous pork (very lean and tender), some vegetables (including some chopped chestnuts), some soup with tofu, and fresh pineapple.  Not salty, or greasy.

Sorry if your school lunches suck, but mine definitely do not.  And at less than $4 each for as much as you want they are good value for money.

Offline steven1080

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
I love to eat lunch with my co workers. I have found public school food tasty and
reasonably healthy. It is nice to get to know the other teachers and beats eating alone.
As for the male teachers, I made very clear from the start if they want to show their strenght against me, they need to prepare for a fight. They seemed to respect and even
like that approach. I have become friends with some of them and meet outside of school sometimes.

Online KoreaBoo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:36 PM »
This has been a long-term complaint that until the quality of food here overall increases, nothing will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ31pdj7AjU

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
With a country that has the strange internet craze of 먹방, so that people don't eat 'alone', is it any wonder that there is some stigma attached to voluntarily eating alone.  Gives you an idea of what is at play here.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »

It was delicious. 

Ah, really.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »

It was delicious. 

Ah, really.

Ya rly.

Like I said, I'm sorry if yours sucks, but mine doesn't, nor does any of the other schools in this area, as reported by the NETs who teach there.

Offline LightinDarkness

• Adventurer
  • Your Word is a lamp to my feet, a light to my path
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »
9 times out of ten, all 3 of my schools serve very delicious and nutritious meals. It must be a city thing to have unhealthy and awful food. Outside of school, I may not eat well... But inside of school, it's quite amazing.
You are amazing. You are beautiful. You are loved.Your life has purpose. Your Salvation was bought at a high price, but given freely. Trust in Jesus, the one who loved you enough to pay it all, and you will be saved. He loves you enough to conquer the grave, He is risen, and alive!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 03:20:57 PM »
delicious

delicious

No no no! 

Sorry!  It is a word that is dead to me after being in Korea.  It is something I have to come to terms with.  Like handsome.  It makes my head explode.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:22:36 PM by Dave Stepz »

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »
Sorry if your school lunches suck, but mine definitely do not.  And at less than $4 each for as much as you want they are good value for money.

I've had phenomenal luck across my years of public school teaching. Never a school with terrible lunches, and twice landed in one contending for the best food in the district according to visitors and relief staff.

What'll really get your goat is that it kinda goes to waste on me being some sort of non-meat-eating golem. That last part also apparently affords me wiggle room regarding whether I choose to sit with others or not; not entirely certain how that works.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:25:49 PM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 10:15:50 AM »
OP, I don't eat the school lunches. At first I was trying to eat less rice, but now I just find it peaceful not to go and be interrupted by overly enthusiastic greeting children.

Anyway, I just wanted to say to you, if you do eat the lunches, consider pushing down your annoyed feelings and eat with the other teachers. They probably find it extremely rude that you don't sit with them. Maybe you're leaving after this contract and you don't care, but how you act does have a follow-on effect on your ability to re-sign and stay in your position. Also, a small and possibly irrelevant point -as this shouldn't be the case- Koreans generalise foreigners on a whole other level.  It isn't your responsibility, and again you probably don't care, but you represent all non-Koreans when you act weird (in their eyes), and they pass on those assumptions to the next foreigner. I'm not bashing. And maybe this is a controversial comment, but get some nunchi on how isolating yourself might make you be perceived.

Maybe you're sociable and have excellent relations with your colleagues. If so, ignore what I said as they'll probably pass it off as a quirk. 

Offline Madkool

• Waygookin
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 10:47:19 AM »
OP, I don't eat the school lunches. At first I was trying to eat less rice, but now I just find it peaceful not to go and be interrupted by overly enthusiastic greeting children.

Anyway, I just wanted to say to you, if you do eat the lunches, consider pushing down your annoyed feelings and eat with the other teachers. They probably find it extremely rude that you don't sit with them. Maybe you're leaving after this contract and you don't care, but how you act does have a follow-on effect on your ability to re-sign and stay in your position. Also, a small and possibly irrelevant point -as this shouldn't be the case- Koreans generalise foreigners on a whole other level.  It isn't your responsibility, and again you probably don't care, but you represent all non-Koreans when you act weird (in their eyes), and they pass on those assumptions to the next foreigner. I'm not bashing. And maybe this is a controversial comment, but get some nunchi on how isolating yourself might make you be perceived.

Maybe you're sociable and have excellent relations with your colleagues. If so, ignore what I said as they'll probably pass it off as a quirk. 

Some people have a degree of social anxiety, and I don't think lunch (the one peaceful time of the day) should be an obligation to eat around others. I make an effort to eat with my teachers sometimes, but not every single day. I find it extremely stressful to be pressured every lunch to eat whatever it is they are serving every day of the week. Maybe it's a good thing Koreans begin to understand not everyone wants to be a social butterfly when they come to work here. The idea that we're all happy go lucky talkers who want to constantly fit in is not the norm, nor will it ever be. I'll be damned if I'm going to talk about how delicious this kimchi is for an entire year when I despise kimchi with every fiber of my being.  :-[
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:51:37 AM by Madkool »

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2016, 11:04:58 AM »
Even without social anxiety, I just want some time to myself. Especially while eating.

All the foreign staff at my workplace who do go to the canteen for lunch just come back complaining everyday. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:25 AM »

I'd have to disagree with most of what is said here.
Teaching at 4 public schools, and having my contract renewed 5 times, without hassle, I think I know what may jeopardize your chances of renewal and eating lunch in the cafeteria is not one of them.

I only eat in the cafeteria on Mondays, since I have a rather close relationship with my two CT's. Despite this, I don't even know the names of 95% of the other staff, much less talk to them.
At my other schools, I've flat out told my CTs that I dislike the noise, smell and cramped seats (I'm 186cm) and yes, the food. I'd rather eat at my desk in peace and quiet. I make my own lunches too. Heck, even my CT at one of my schools eats at her desk (She struggles with her weight and I don't think she likes eating the huge starch contents of the school lunches). I keep my relationships with all my other CTs, save the 2 at my Monday school, professional, friendly and distant.

I'm not part of the social circle of the staff at my schools and don't want to be. They couldn't care less whether I had lunch in the cafeteria or not. As far as renewal goes, if you're in a public school and your guts are hated, not disliked but hated, the worst they can do is transfer you to another school. Even if you're somewhat disliked, you'll still get renewed (unless we're talking budget cuts). The truth is that Koreans like to stick with what they know, even if it's not that great, just look at IE and Naver. Even if you're somewhat disliked, there's a good chance your CT and VP will want you to stay at their school, they'd rather have someone they know than take a chance with someone new.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »

I'd have to disagree with most of what is said here.
Teaching at 4 public schools, and having my contract renewed 5 times, without hassle, I think I know what may jeopardize your chances of renewal and eating lunch in the cafeteria is not one of them.

I only eat in the cafeteria on Mondays, since I have a rather close relationship with my two CT's. Despite this, I don't even know the names of 95% of the other staff, much less talk to them.
At my other schools, I've flat out told my CTs that I dislike the noise, smell and cramped seats (I'm 186cm) and yes, the food. I'd rather eat at my desk in peace and quiet. I make my own lunches too. Heck, even my CT at one of my schools eats at her desk (She struggles with her weight and I don't think she likes eating the huge starch contents of the school lunches). I keep my relationships with all my other CTs, save the 2 at my Monday school, professional, friendly and distant.

I'm not part of the social circle of the staff at my schools and don't want to be. They couldn't care less whether I had lunch in the cafeteria or not. As far as renewal goes, if you're in a public school and your guts are hated, not disliked but hated, the worst they can do is transfer you to another school. Even if you're somewhat disliked, you'll still get renewed (unless we're talking budget cuts). The truth is that Koreans like to stick with what they know, even if it's not that great, just look at IE and Naver. Even if you're somewhat disliked, there's a good chance your CT and VP will want you to stay at their school, they'd rather have someone they know than take a chance with someone new.

Totally agree.

People put so much stock into things like eating lunch, buying gifts, going on all the staff activities and outings.
As long as aren't a Fukc up, you are tidy, organised and on time then the other things don't mean shit. Even if you are an idiot there is a good chance they'll keep you because better the devil you know.

Life here can be annoying enough without having to go through forced lunchee everyday.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »
Right when this thread had me feeling like eating with my staff was no big deal, today I found myself sitting in the middle of two teachers who needed to scream talk at each other with their mouths full.  I didn't even want to reach my arm forward to take a bite lest I hit one of them.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
Totally agree.

People put so much stock into things like eating lunch, buying gifts, going on all the staff activities and outings.
As long as aren't a Fukc up, you are tidy, organised and on time then the other things don't mean shit. Even if you are an idiot there is a good chance they'll keep you because better the devil you know.

Life here can be annoying enough without having to go through forced lunchee everyday.

I agree with this. I used to be extremely keen to make a good impression and was stressing myself out trying to avoid ever accidentally upsetting anyone. Then I met a sensational mess of a human being who was holding down the same job as me and still getting offered renewal. I switched to eating lunch at my desk and I'm so glad I did. I get a genuinely peaceful hour or so to myself eating what I choose. I watch a cartoon, listen to a podcast, read some articles. It's transformed my day.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 01:11:17 PM »
Another delicious meal at my school.  And tomorrow's menu looks awesome too!

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 01:55:58 PM »
Totally agree.

I agree with this. I used to be extremely keen to make a good impression and was stressing myself out trying to avoid ever accidentally upsetting anyone. Then I met a sensational mess of a human being who was holding down the same job as me and still getting offered renewal. I switched to eating lunch at my desk and I'm so glad I did. I get a genuinely peaceful hour or so to myself eating what I choose. I watch a cartoon, listen to a podcast, read some articles. It's transformed my day.

I'll add my agreement to this. I was also extremely keen on being super involved with everything at my school right from the get go. I've gone full reverse and now spend as little time as possible with anyone at my school. The overall change in my interactions with co-workers is zero.

I do my job well and people leave me alone. Hell, they are probably relieved I'm not there most of the time.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Do not misinterpret my point. I, too, enjoying eating my lunch alone away from the cafeteria. I am simple stating that if you are in the cafeteria, avoiding the teacher's table to sit alone does not look good which ever way you swing it. You will be negatively judged for it.

I also said that if you have good relations with your coworkers and are deemed to be good at your job then this will be overlooked. If you're a recluse with poor social skills, it would fit into the overarching narrative you have and it will probably have a negative impact on your contract. This isn't hyperbole. I've seen it happen to teachers within my program who were released. Just a FYI, you do know all Native ESL teachers are judge on a scorecard each year and that scorecard is given to the education office? I knew a teacher who had been with the program since its inception (almost a decade ago), who was let go last year due to a diminished tally. 

You don't have to be a social butterfly, but if you go out of your way to be reclusive without already establishing respect, it will negatively impact you. It's not rocket science.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2016, 02:23:19 PM »
Do not misinterpret my point. I, too, enjoying eating my lunch alone away from the cafeteria. I am simple stating that if you are in the cafeteria, avoiding the teacher's table to sit alone does not look good which ever way you swing it. You will be negatively judged for it.

I also said that if you have good relations with your coworkers and are deemed to be good at your job then this will be overlooked. If you're a recluse with poor social skills, it would fit into the overarching narrative you have and it will probably have a negative impact on your contract. This isn't hyperbole. I've seen it happen to teachers within my program who were released. Just a FYI, you do know all Native ESL teachers are judge on a scorecard each year and that scorecard is given to the education office? I knew a teacher who had been with the program since its inception (almost a decade ago), who was let go last year due to a diminished tally. 

You don't have to be a social butterfly, but if you go out of your way to be reclusive without already establishing respect, it will negatively impact you. It's not rocket science.

I think there are far better ways to garner that liking from the people that matter (CTs, VP and P) than eating lunch with them.

That being the time spent in between classes with CTs for me. I'm extremely chatty and friendly during these times but more or less ignore their existence once we leave class.

I simply said my blood test was out of whack and that I needed to eat less and exercise more (and actually did in the school gym during lunch). No one batted an eye lash.