September 23, 2018, 04:45:07 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Are you allowed to have your family member from the US stay at your room?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Sel

• Explorer
Would they let you have two family members live in your one room provided by the hagwon?

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
Depends where the apartment is, my apartment is nowhere near my school and my boss never checks it. My parents stayed with me for a month about and my wife lives with me now too. Look at the building rules and if your boss has any objections if you tell him. Ask him why?

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
yes of course you are. it's your apartment. this is not some university residence or something.

you can have whoever you want stay with you. if they were moving in permanently might be a different story, but it's just a guest.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
Since when did Koreans care about rules or laws? As long as they aren't smoking/smuggling weed nobody will care.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
You mean live with you for the entire duration you will be living in the one-room provided by your hagwon? It would probably be okay (unless your hagwon boss or your landlord decides to make an issue out of it), although it will probably be cramped having 3 people (including yourself) live in a one-room together.

Offline Angelinkorea

• Super Waygook
TO quote the motto that should be tattooed upon receipt of an E2 visa:

"It is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

Just do it and don't tell people. If they ask questions then deal with it then. Push comes to shove you can stash your relatives in a goshiwon.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
It depends how close you live to the school and if the school keeps close tabs on your apartment.  I've heard horror stories where nosy neighbors would call your school to report you having people over.   I also had an instance myself were I was just trying to stay at a co-worker's place for a month because I was transitioning jobs from this crappy hellwon I was working at to a brand new job.  The hellwon owner got wind that I was staying at my former co-worker's place so I quickly relocated to a goshitel before the a**hole could charge me a month rent.  Unfortunately, he later took it out on my former co-worker and released her early from contract.    We were real secretive about it too.  However, we did live close to the school and to an office worker at the school so something tells me that tipped them off.  If your school seems chill and you don't live next to nosy neighbors I say do it!  I live a 30 mins bus ride away from my school, I NEVER SEE MY NEIGHBORS EVER!  So they don't know who lives next to them and I've invited my boyfriend over to spend holidays off and weekends off and he stayed with me the entire time! 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:28:37 AM by Piggydee »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Unless you are in some sort of specialized housing designed specifically for that institution (i.e. military family housing or university dorms) it shouldn't be a problem. A normal apartment building shouldn't care as long as they are temp guests. For the full-time duration it might be a problem if they aren't a spouse or your children, but even then, probably not.

As was said, "It is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission".

Offline wblancha

• Waygookin
You should be able to have them stay with you.  However, if your landlord finds out and doesn't like the idea of having more people live there they might try to evict you.  I came to Korea about two months ago and my wife and daughter moved in with me.  When my landlord found out, she told us we had one month to find a new place and she freaked right out. 
So if you never see your landlord  (or if your landlord isn't a total b*tch) you can probably get away with it.  Good luck.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
You should be able to have them stay with you.  However, if your landlord finds out and doesn't like the idea of having more people live there they might try to evict you.  I came to Korea about two months ago and my wife and daughter moved in with me.  When my landlord found out, she told us we had one month to find a new place and she freaked right out. 
So if you never see your landlord  (or if your landlord isn't a total b*tch) you can probably get away with it.  Good luck.

I have to agree with this.  I don't know about this whole "beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" thing but if it's only for the weekends or only for a few months, and you never see neighbors or the landlord and you don't live near the school than it is fine.  But if they will be living with you throughout the contract than that can be a problem.  Especially if your school does random check ups on your place.  Which they can since it is their place that they are renting and paying for.  Remember it's not really YOUR PLACE.  Your name is not on the lease and you aren't paying rent.  You are just allowed to occupy it.  So it's best to be kind to the rules given to you.  But if you say it's just for  small duration of time I think it can be fine.  I stay at my boyfriend's place sometimes over the weekend but even he knows I'm not allowed to stay at his apartment because if his landlord found out he would probably want him out of the place.  So if you know for a fact that this person will be living with you for your entire contract time than it should not be a problem with the school if you let them know in advance.  I've worked at schools (hakwons) that allow boyfriends and girlfriends to live together and even knew some girl that had her mother and infant daughter living with her in a one room apartment, it shouldn't be too big of a deal if it was a relative of yours.  Just as long as you ask. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:51:00 AM by Piggydee »

Offline robobob9000

• Super Waygook
It's fine as long as it's temporary. They just don't want subletting, and they don't want to risk exceeding maximum occupancy laws. They also need to report to the police everyone living on their property. If the landlord gets caught with undocumented immigrants living in their property then the landowner would get some really big fines.

Offline AcidTeacher

• Adventurer
Assuming your employer-provided apartment is big enough to allow family members to stay with you for a short-time (read: over the weekend) it should would be okay.    Before they arrive tell them how many square feet/meters is your apartment.   After they hear your answer, they may decide to stay with you during their vacation or stay at a hostel or a motel.

Last year some of my cousins from the Philippines wanted to stay at my apartment during their summer vacation in Korea.   When I told them I had no air conditioning, they decided to stay at a hostel with air conditioning.

Offline renhasbrownhair

• Veteran
How long are they staying for? Just for a short vacation? It's fine. My sister came to stay with me for a week and my mom stayed in a hotel. I actually had my boyfriend (now husband) move in with me and we lived together for a year and a half in school provided housing. My handler figured out eventually that we lived together, but kept it hush-hush from co-workers. The landlord I think knew, but never said anything about it, as he was always there if I needed work done and he called when things weren't working... He was a chill old man though and obviously not every landlord is as great.

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Expert Waygook
Sure..of course you can have people stay in your apartment. I've done it many times.